Speak Out: Speak Out 5/7/19

Posted by Dennis Smith on Tue, May 7, 2019, at 8:19 AM:

Precious time

Thank you, Mike Jensen for your column about making every minute count. I realize that I will save precious time by not reading your columns.

Trump’s pet

Good boy, William Barr. You have been a very good boy. You want your belly rubbed, want a doggy biscuit. Keep up the lies for your master, Trump. You’re a good boy.

Trump working

Not sure if after the 2020 election the Democrats in Washington are going to still say that Russia interfered and made all the Americans to vote for Trump. Sorry, but I see all the work that President Trump has done, even if I may not agree with all of it. But he’s working (more than I can say about others in Washington). President Trump, you have my vote!

Here’s your sign

Only in a bureaucrat’s mind does it makes sense to slap signs in the middle of Broadway to help you focus on your surroundings. Of course, these are same Mensa members who thought a swimming pool would fix a struggling part of town while moving the new police station away from the same struggling part of town.

Crosswalk talk

The yield-to-pedestrian signs on Broadway are ridiculous. I walk about as much as I drive, and I believe it is ridiculous and dangerous for drivers to have to suddenly stop in the middle of a block for pedestrians who should be crossing at the corner. My solution is to simply stay off Broadway and not shop there.

Falling wall

Benefiting from a TTF a few years ago, Bloomfield Road was improved from a dark and dangerous road to a wide thoroughfare making it extremely navigable and safe. At the time, retaining walls were installed with decorative rock on them. However, due to negligible engineering, some of the rock fell off the walls, and has lain on the ground below the walls for over THREE YEARS. Even though numerous call have been made alerting the City of Cape of this, no one has shown any interest in repairing the walls. After making a HUGE investment in the upgrading of Bloomfield Road, one would think the city would maintain the project.

Trump’s orbit

Trump has been consistent — at picking unqualified people for jobs. The “reality” TV star seems to be running out of people he trusts. Let Jared do it all. Bad management. Poor leadership.

Debt whiners

The way to eliminate college debt is for people to actually go to a school they can afford. No one has to go to Stanford, Yale or Harvard. It is just a prestige thing, and furthermore they should study a subject that will actually have a paying job at the end. Quit whining about student debt; it is self inflicted.

SportsPlex Qs

The Southeast Missourian reported that “200 hotel rooms were booked by guests, vendors” for the local Comic Con. While I question the accuracy of the number since the paper didn’t verify the actual bookings, I’ll encourage Mr. Rust to compare those numbers to a taxpayer subsidized SportsPlex weekend. Journalism involves asking hard questions and sometimes reporting inconvenient truths.

River management

Records of Mississippi River flooding for this area show there have been 36 floods above the 32-foot stage since 1943. Thirty-one of these floods have occurred after 1993. What changed after 1993? Environmentalists are telling the Corps of Engineers when to hold and release water in reservoirs in efforts to protect fish and wildlife. What about people and their lives, property and livelihoods? Poor river management has created more flooding.

Replies (2)

Precious time: The caller must like wasting time such as voting for the Democratic candidate in 2020.

Trump’s pet: Let's look at Obama and Hillary's lap dogs: James Comey, Peter Strzok, Andrew McCabe, Lisa Page, Loretta Lynch, Sally Yates, Bruce Ohr. Nellie Ohr, James Baker, John Brennan and James Clapper.

Trump working: Well said caller....Trump 2020.

Here’s your sign: Guess it was too dangerous to built the new police station in the South end of Cape....BTW, a gang fight and shooting in Arena Park, isn't that near the new police station.

Crosswalk talk: Well now, the pedestrians have the right to cross any roadway in a legal crosswalk. If drivers don't like it then don't drive down Broadway.

Falling wall: Don't know for sure - is that part of Bloomfield Road in the City limits or is it a County matter.

Trump’s orbit: Could be that the biased news media hammers everyone in the Trump Administration 24/7/365....some folks are not as strong as the President is.

Debt whiners: Today's technical schools are a better option than a college degree with nothing attached to it but debt.

SportsPlex Qs: Did the paper ask those 200 personally why they were in town or did it take the Comic Con spokesperson word for it. This would also be true for findings of rooms for the events at the SportsPlex.

River management: Could it be that more levees have been built along the river causing areas without levees to flood.

And that's the way it should be according to Schaefer's World....Tuesday May 7, 2019.

-- Posted by Dennis Smith on Tue, May 7, 2019, at 8:57 AM
  • Falling Wall: My understanding is that all County Road 205 that was widened was made city. I would think the contractor that built the wall along the new zoom road should be responsible for fixing it. There should be an opportunity for the paper to do some investigative reporting into if/or why nothing is being done.

-- Posted by R. W. Bess on Tue, May 7, 2019, at 10:40 AM

Respond to this thread