Speak Out: Speak Out 1/6/20

Posted by The Papa on Mon, Jan 6, 2020, at 12:45 PM:

To say the economy is booming based on the stock market is an illusion, unless you have big dollars to invest. Based on your own reporting, the amount that the IRS allows to claim for all kinds of travel is lower. If your employer makes you move, you can't claim it. You can't claim as many medical expenses as before. So how is this great for the average, middle income American?

Replies (2)

Re: Minimum wage

Adapt, improvise, and overcome.

Perhaps consider a corresponding minimum spending countermeasure by implementing an eatin' at the house / condo / crib approach, where in addition to saving the labor cost and facilities overhead of the meal, also saving the difference between the 9+% restaurant sales tax, and the 5% grocery sales tax.

FWIW, the last time the federal minimum wage increased and noticed my favorite footlong two-meal sub went up $1 (plus the $0.09 sales tax) overnight, my weekly habit became a can't-recall-the-last-time-I-had-one habit.

Ain't gonna argue with the cost, as long as there's an alternative workaround...

-- Posted by fxpwt on Tue, Jan 7, 2020, at 7:28 PM
  • On one hand, minimum wage is legal discrimination. If I was hiring for up front public interacting positions and had to pay the same wage regardless, I would hire the best looking, best smiling, charismatic I could find. [No facial piercings, stutterers or pick your discrimination].

On the other hand if I wanted the hardest working, best get'er'done, smart enough and willing to see/do what's needed, along with all the other good traits I want, I may offer a much better self imposed minimum wage and better benefits and get less people that can do more.

JMO... If it has to be imposed, the states and local governments should be deciding... Not on a national platform.

-- Posted by R. W. Bess on Tue, Jan 7, 2020, at 9:59 PM

Respond to this thread