Speak Out: Speak Out 4-20-22

Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Apr 20, 2022, at 9:59 AM:

Re: Beautiful trees

Hmmm, thought the Bradford pear had been declared an invasive tree by the Mo Dept of Conservation, with incentives of replacement trees being offered in some areas to lop 'em down? https://www.komu.com/news/state/department-of-conservation-to-host-invasive-pear...

Re: Employment rates

Thought there was a consideration where folks aren't counted if they aren't looking for work?

Came across a quote hitting home, attributed to Mike Rowe - the Dirty Jobs guy - “We’re churning out a generation of poorly educated people with no skill, no ambition, no guidance, and no realistic expectations of what it means to go to work.”

Seeing this already well in-play with the filthy, nasty, noisy, inconsiderate, uncivilized rental trash next door -

Poorly-educated - still have their kid's now weather-worn Cape Central Grad 2021 sign in the front yard - apparently the first in the family to progress beyond the Jethro Bodine level of documented smarts.

No ambition - all of 'em laid up around the house all day with all kinds of enthusiasm to make a mess and to share with the neighborhood, but absolutely none to clean it up.

No guidance - from the slumlord or paid professional property mangler resulting in the perpetual hands-down winner of the 'eyesore of the block' award.

No realistic expectations of what it means to go to work - see 'laid up ... all day' above, good thing they're on government-aided life support for bottom-feeding parasites, so they can afford those delivered groceries and pizza wagons showing up 3-4 times a week.

Replies (113)

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Apr 20, 2022, at 9:59 AM

Thanks for saying it. It needed to be said.

Communisic thinking government is what creates these kinds of conditions.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Apr 20, 2022, at 10:16 AM

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Apr 20, 2022, at 9:59 AM

Fxpwt, amother thought or so on your situation. Just yesterday as a member of our neighborhood HOA, we did a walkthru of our small community and in a neighboring down the hill yard to one of our owner's back yard is the beginning of a junkyard of lawn equipment and personal, powered toys. I understand it has been reported but the city is doing nothing about it for the most part.

I have an issue with this. Everywhere I have lived within a City, Village, or Town Limits there has always been a set of rules that citizens must follow or else. Those rules have, but are not limited to, parking in your yard, accumulated trash and length of grass/weeds. The grass/weeds goes so far as, if yours gets over X inches tall, you will get a letter giving you a time to have them cut or the city will send somebody out to do it for you and they will then bill you. If you do not pay that bill they will in due time file a lien on your property and you will not sell your home until that bill is paid with interest and other expenses and the lien is removed.

Now an issue with me, living in the St. Louis region and knowing the City of St. Louis has rules that make for good neighbors, why is it that neighborhoods like North St. Louis ever come to be? Obviously the rules were not followed and people let things go to he double toothpicks. My hobby was genealogy and until wife became ill and I had no more time to spend doing it, I tried following every lead I had. I knew my Grandmother worked in St. Louis as a young single lady, as a housegirl/maid, and I found an address where she had worked, so one day I decided to see where that was. Obviously, it should have been a better neighborhood and home if they could afford people working in their homes, right? Well the address was in North St. Louis, and when I found the address, all I found was a vacant lot, with a parted out junk car on it, probably stolen, and trash everywhere. Why pray tell me why was this allowed to happen, they had rules, why were they not followed? Is it because if you tried to enforce the rules the big "R" word would have been bandied around due to the color of the neighborhood? I do know that property values and collectable real estate taxes are in the tank in these neighborhoods. Not only that, I read where about 20,000 of their citizens have left the city area to the adjoining counties within the past year. For what, to destroy another area?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Apr 20, 2022, at 1:04 PM

Wheels - it has also been quite aggravating here with the insufficient sustained corrections enforced on the complaints turned in.

Been in contact multiple times with the Police and my ward councilperson, where things then seem to improve a notch, only to fall two or more notches backwards as the pressure surge rolls off, the old ways are resumed and even more new ways are found to disappoint.

Hours of my time and hundreds of my dollars have been expensed (yes, I keep track!) picking up their errant trash, cleaning up their filth, installing noise mitigations and other such housekeeping efforts where their flagrant lawlessness and 'bad manners' overflow the boundaries of their pigpen.

Figure I'll keep up the efforts, following the wisdom of 'what one generation tolerates, the next accepts' where I, as well as neighboring owner-occupied homeowners, have no intention of accepting this mess.

Doing my part to remain on top of being intolerant of the situation to not to be construed as any hint of implied acceptance - maybe what had gone on with decline of the North St. Louis areas you mentioned. Once the swirl around the toilet bowl gets going good, the final flush is all but inevitable.

As soon as I actually see their kids climbing over and mangling my fence again, the urge is queued up and ready for calling a trespassing complaint in, and they've done left their chair staged in place, all ready for their next over-the-top excursion. :-)

Wish the owners-of-record were held to higher accountabilities for nuisance and criminal things originating from their properties, whether owner-occupied or rented. See such a measure as being part of a solution, or at least a sharing of the pains.

It's agreed that not all rental properties and related landlords and property managers are bad, but bad things do seem to originate disproportionately from rental properties here - the recent events at the apartments on North Sprigg, down off Bloomfield Road, in the 2800-3000 blocks west of Arena Park, as well as the most recent newsmaker on North Middle, etc.

Perhaps if the City really wants to take a bite out of crime, maybe look harder at taking a bite out of the irresponsible owners of these nuisance properties - sort of a 'nip it in the bud' approach before things run completely off in the ditch. If the smaller things aren't tolerated or are no longer accepted, perhaps some will be encouraged to either get better or get gone, before trying for the bigger things.

Had to at least chuckle, in a sad way - neighbor down the street put their house up for sale, another neighbor shared that they had asked the realtor to bring prospective buyers in from the other end of the block, so as to avoid getting the full eyesore and earfull experience from my nextdoor nemeses.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Apr 20, 2022, at 2:30 PM

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Apr 20, 2022, at 2:30 PM

Fxpwt, I am sorry to hear all of this. But believe me I know what you are talking about. I have rented property, started with a couple of mobile homes, which I soon found were more aggravation than my delicate constitution would handle.

Then I got involved with three other guys that I knew well and we purchased a small motel with 10 acres of ground on the service road of the interstate. I ended up being the sole owner before it was over as one then another of the investors wanted to do something else. In the meantime, we had operated the motel which pretty much paid for everything else and nearly drove us crazy trying to operate. And also there was a short adjoining private street with 6 houses on it that we managed to acquire 3 of them over the years. I finally sold the motel property to a Patel guy and kept a little over 8 acres that I developed and built my business building on. I gave a house to a daughter another to a son, after I had chased the renters off and renovated them and just sold the last one to the tenant's parents a little over a year ago. A big relief settled over me. Never again will I ever rent living quarters. I tried to never let mine be a problem to the neighbors, but it still happened. I was dumb enough to let one of these help me agencies talk me into renting to a single woman with several children on the promise that if she damaged things they would take care of it. Well she did and they didn't. Had to send a plumber over to clear out the drain and he called me and said you better take a look at this place because it is nasty, and when a plumber tells you something is nasty, it is nasty. Cost me $16,000 to haul off the junk and put the house back in shape. Holes in drywall and what have you.

My advice to you, get two or three sensible neighbors to go with you and take your petty little problems to the entire city council at their next meeting. Be armed with pictures and facts and hopefully the meeting is televised. The newspaper will probably be there. The more people who hear about your problems and the lack of cooperation from the city that you are getting, the better chance it will be rectified. This is bringing the property values down of more than just you.

Good Luck to you and one more thing, being a nice guy and just saying please won't probably get the job done. You have to say "please" in a way that if it is not responded to that it bites someone in what they are sitting on.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Apr 20, 2022, at 3:29 PM

Wheels - appreciate your input.

Won't say the City hasn't been cooperative, have had good exchanges with the Police and the councilperson, but can appreciate their manpower and time limitations, especially with the current Police situation and the many people now getting shot, robbed, assaulted, etc., as well as legal boundaries between the easy-peasy to see outright violations versus the close-but-not-yet-citable or know-it-but-can't-prove-it intrusive actions and inactions.

Hold the slumlord and property mangler first-line accountable for running their business in a manner of net benefit to society, integrating and meshing into the area fabric, with each property seen as a separate 'storefront'- but attempts to talk with them about their negative value-added in this area were flatly rejected, so onto this Plan B with the City.

Heheheh - 'nice'. Have been long wised-up on the fact that 'nice' is not a performance indicator, and that this trait is too often overused by underperformers and outright failures in attempts to cover over their droppings in the litter box.

So when I hear the slumlord and property mangler described as 'nice' guys, with no follow-up descriptors such as honorable, ethical, credible, moral, law-abiding, integritous, etc. - I figure they've both got king-sized litter boxes full-up. :-)

Also, from Roadhouse, "Be nice, until it's time to not be nice", where here, it's already a year way past the time where they've had the opportunity to correct their business model, now just a matter of figuring how to make them wish they had...

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Apr 20, 2022, at 4:43 PM

Also, from Roadhouse, "Be nice, until it's time to not be nice", where here, it's already a year way past the time where they've had the opportunity to correct their business model, now just a matter of figuring how to make them wish they had...

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Apr 20, 2022, at 4:43 PM

Fxpwt, I know excuses and what have you, but if someone is being a slumlord operation in your neighborhood, the City ahould have an ordinance and obligation to you as a taxpayer to put a cease and desist order on it I would think. Yes they would like to make it a civil matter and let you go to court and spend your money to make the guy live right.

I had a neighboring business that did a major redevelopment which he had to have permits to do and in the process he damned up a natural drain and backed up water on our propety to within inches of going into our building. And we are not talking about a swamp here, it is well out of the flood plain. I complained and my councilman came and looked. He said that is a civil matter. I then held up a copy of the city's code book (get one) and said he just had a major renovation that you issued permits for, you have a drainage ordinance and are you telling me that you did not inspect this work and see that he is violating state laws about blocking a natural drain? You make me file a lawsuit against him and I will enjoin the city into the lawsuit for dereliction of duty in not doing proper inspection of permitted work.

He said why don't you let me look into this first. Nothing more was said and the dam disappeared and my water problem was solved. And everybody lived happily ever after.

Get a code book and see what the rules are against what this landlord is permitting to take place and demand the city follow the rules equally on everyone. If there are no rules you probably will need an attorney

There is no reason for you to spend $0.10 on going to court to enforce a city ordinance I don't care how busy they say they are. You paid your dues prior to midnight of December 31st 2021. if the city has no rules you are stuck with an expense, but I do not believe they do not in this day and age.

Fxpwt, my disclaimer, I would be the last one to tell you I am qualified to give legal advice. I am just going from personal experience. Again I am sorry to hear you have to put up with this. But it is your property values that will be affected if nothing is done.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Apr 20, 2022, at 5:23 PM

My husband has 3 rentals. One is perfect,one pays 95% of the time. One never pays and he can't get her gone. The kids who pay 95% of the time want to buy the house so hopefully they can get a loan. Never ever again on rentals.

-- Posted by dbennett on Thu, Apr 21, 2022, at 5:21 AM

Never ever again on rentals.

-- Posted by dbennett on Thu, Apr 21, 2022, at 5:21 AM

I agree on residential.

I have some commercial rentals. All paying on time. One lady with smallest unit signed her lease and was asked to pY a month up front. She paid 1 year. Something needs attention I make sure she is a priority. She councils children.

Your rentor who won't leave. How come her key still works?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Apr 21, 2022, at 7:34 AM

Just received something from a friend that if true, we need to be asking some hard questions of our Government.

"How about some CRUDE OIL FACTS FOR A CHANGE! The following has been originally posted by Brad Norman:

Found this interesting thought I'd share U.S. OIL SUPPLY.....INCREDIBLE..!!About 6 months ago, there was a news program on oil and one of The Forbes Bros. was the guest. The host said to Forbes, "I am going to ask you a direct question and I would like a direct answer; how much oil does the U.S. Have in the ground?" Forbes did not miss a beat, he said, "More than all the Middle East put Together."

The U.S. Geological Service issued a report in April 2008 that only Scientists and oil men knew was coming, but man was it big. It was a revised report (hadn't been updated since 1995) on how much oil was in this area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota, western South Dakota, and Extreme eastern Montana. Check THIS out: The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska's Prudhoe Bay and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign oil. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion barrels. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable (5 Billion barrels), at $107 a barrel, we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5.3 trillion. "When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see their Jaws hit the floor.

They had no idea." says Terry Johnson, the Montana Legislature's financial analyzer. "This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found in the past 56 years,” reports The Pittsburgh Post Gazette.

It's a formation known as the Williston Basin but is more commonly referred to as the 'Bakken.' It stretches from Northern Montana, through North Dakota and into Canada. For years, U.S. Oil exploration has been considered a dead end. Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells decades ago.

However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up the Bakken's Massive reserves, And, we now have access of up to 500 billion barrels. And because this is Light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels will cost Americans just $16 PER BARREL!!!!! That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for 2041 years Straight. And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one should - Because it's from 2006 !!!!!!

U.S. Oil Discovery - Largest Reserve in the World Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006. Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the Largest untapped oil reserve in the world. It is more than 2 TRILLION barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush Mandated its extraction. In many recent years of high oil prices none has been extracted. With this mother lode of oil why are we still fighting over off-shore Drilling?

They reported this stunning news: We have more oil inside our borders, than all the other proven reserves on Earth.

Here are the official estimates:

8 times as much oil as Saudi Arabia

18 times as much oil as Iraq

21 times as much oil as Kuwait

22 times as much oil as Iran

500 times as much oil as Yemen

And it's all right here in the Western United States !!!!

HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this? Because the Environmentalists and others have blocked all efforts to help America become Independent of foreign oil! Again, we are letting a small group of people Dictate our lives and our economy. WHY?James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in this very compact area than the entire Middle East, more than 2 TRILLION barrels Untapped. That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in the World today, reports The Denver Post.Don't think 'OPEC' will drop its price even with this find? Think again! It's all about the competitive marketplace, it has to. Think OPEC just might be funding the environmentalists?"

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Apr 21, 2022, at 1:32 PM

In Illinois there is a process to get a renter out. You can't just change the locks. That said, they would likely just break in anyway. It's not my baby or they would be out. (I'd probably be in jail) I told him sell them all except the one that pays. She is WONDERFUL.

-- Posted by dbennett on Fri, Apr 22, 2022, at 5:07 AM

-- Posted by dbennett on Fri, Apr 22, 2022, at 5:07 AM

Frustrating, I agree.

Concede that renters have rights, aggravated these transients aren't held to an equal level for their responsibilities, obligations, courtesies, and considerations.

Seeing a parallel with the observation that the criminals have more rights than the victims, where the rental trash tramps around here like they own the place when the fact is that they don't own squat.

Seems like the 800 block of Perry is becoming another problem rental area in town - given the event posted yesterday, have been several calls racked up from the past couple months.

At least I'm not alone in the quest to maintain and sustain a civilized level of decency and a nice place to come home, seems to be challenges widespread - "Homeowner groups seek to stop investors from buying houses to rent" https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/homeowner-groups-seek-to-stop-investo...

-- Posted by fxpwt on Fri, Apr 22, 2022, at 7:27 AM

The Lord when questioned said, render unto God that which is God's and unto Caeser that which is Caesar's.

I consider myself Caesar in the case of a remtor who will not pay up.

I had a lease which gave me the right to inspect the property and did so. Hmmm, that lock is sub-standard, I fixed it for them and gave them a brand new one. Did this a number of times, never was challenged on it nor did they break in. I was fair, I offered to sell them a new key to the lock I put there for their security. Caesar has rights as well. Comes under quiet enjoyment of his property and I as Caesar did not like my property values and rights abused.

Go to the authorities they tell you it is a civil matter.

Same thing goes with bad checks. Missouri has a law against them. Take it to the county Prosecutor and I have been told, we are not your bill collector. My response, what is your name, I will take my problem to the state level and use your name as a reference. Hmm, let me see if we can do something first. Just remember you do not work for those suits in the offices. They work for you. Sometimes they need to be reminded of that. As Caesar you have a right to what is yours, nothing less, nothing more.

This BS property owners endured when our wannabee dictators in DC said they did no longer have rights to evict deadbeats was certainly a questionable power grab.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Apr 22, 2022, at 8:05 AM

Rick, don't know about ghosts, but they sure have horror stories connected with them.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Apr 22, 2022, at 9:48 AM

Just remember Wheels, it's a whole different world over here. That's about as much as I can say about the county that adjoins the Mississippi without possibly becoming a target.

-- Posted by dbennett on Sat, Apr 23, 2022, at 4:21 AM

-- Posted by dbennett on Sat, Apr 23, 2022, at 4:21 AM

I suspect you are talking of Cape County. I grew up in Bollinger County but I live in a County that borders a river also the Missouri River, St. Charles to be exact. Little dictators are all alike, just remember we all put our undies on one leg at a time and they have vulnerabilities just like every one else, maybe they need a reminder. I just happen to believe I have rights also and you have to put up with what you will. On a little assessment problem that I took to the state level, in the meeting with the local guy, the state guy and me, the local guy said well that is the way we do it here. I asked the state guy if there was a special rule for this county. He said absolutely not. Guess who won the battle.

My theory, be a reasonable person, but you don't have to be walked on.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Apr 23, 2022, at 8:10 AM

There is a song out there that I am not going to name that could describe adequately some of these situations if you have an interest in looking it up. I think it originated with a couple of guys known as "Bird & Macdonald The Dukes of Disgusting"

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Apr 23, 2022, at 8:31 AM

Wheels I live in Communist Illinois home of corruption

-- Posted by dbennett on Sat, Apr 23, 2022, at 10:34 AM

Ms. Deanna, I understand. A few years ago, there was a move to start term limits for governor to two country wide. It was one in the the Governor's Mansion and one in the Big House. Illinois had already started the program, I think they had two ex Governors in the Big House at the same time.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Apr 23, 2022, at 10:55 AM

I used to be a normal person (most of us can identify)!

As a man, I used to think I was pretty much just a regular person, but I was born white, into a two-parent household which now, whether I like it or not, makes me "Privileged", a racist and responsible for slavery.

I am a fiscal and moral conservative, which by today's standards, makes me a fascist because I plan, budget and support myself.

I went to High School, got a Tech School education, and have always held a job. But I now find out that I am not here because I earned it, but because I was "advantaged”.

I am heterosexual, which according to "gay" folks, now makes me a homophobe.

I am not a Muslim, which now labels me as an infidel.

I believe in the 2nd Amendment, which makes me a de facto member of the "vast NRA gun lobby”

I am older than 60, making me a useless eater who doesn't understand Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat.

I think and I reason, and I doubt much of what the "main stream" media tells me, which makes me a "Right-wing conspiracy nut”.

I am proud of my heritage and our inclusive American culture, making me a xenophobe.

I believe in hard work, fair play, and fair compensation according to each individual's merits, which today makes me an anti-socialist.

I believe our system guarantees freedom of effort - not freedom of outcome or subsidies, which must make me a borderline sociopath.

I believe in the defense and protection of America for and by all citizens, now making me a militant.

I am proud of our flag, what it stands for and the many who died to let it fly, so I stand and salute during our National Anthem, so I must be a racist.

Please help me come to terms with the new me, because I'm just not sure who I am anymore!

Funny - it all took place over the last 7 or 8 years! If all this nonsense wasn't enough to deal with, now I don't even know which restroom to use… and I gotta go more FREQUENTLY!

Yes Google, it is definitely civil and factual.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 10:24 AM

Above shamelessly copied from an email because it all fits.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 10:29 AM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 11:19 AM
  • Mr. VanGennip,

I was born white into a two parent family and I am not racist, not responsible for slavery, nor any more or less privileged than any other peers.

The fallacy with the rest of your email is that no one "makes you" any of those things. You are what you make of yourself.

Think about it.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 11:47 AM
  • The one exception would be that being a non-Muslim makes you an infidel. Sorry, but that's just the definition of the word.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 12:08 PM

Think about it.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 11:47 AM

I have thought about it Water Boy and I know exactly who I am. Your poorly thought out opinions count for what they are worth... NOTHING.

You may believe all of the Leftist BS you care to but a real Conservative knows who they are and can very happpily deal with it. And that means immature halfbaked opinions by judgemental Leftist Democrats amount to squat!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 12:25 PM

And Water Boy....

Kapeesh???

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 12:28 PM
  • Apparently you've not been thinking...

For example...

How does believing in "...the defense and the protection of America for and by all citizens..." make you a militant?

Probably less than about 2% of Americans have military experiences, are they militants? What exactly do you consider a "militant?"

You should probably think some more.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 12:38 PM

Apparently Water Boy you are too dense to recognize sarcasm.

I know you looked long and hard trying to find something wrong. Try reading it again and try real hard to understand the point that is being made. If you cannot, then maybe we can have a little classroom session to educate you since you seemed to have missed the sarcasm intended in the whole thing.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 3:04 PM

Water Boy, I think you will find that being Milatant doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the military. Sounds like your education fell a little short there.

Sounds like that college education you picked up was more of a brain wash than it was an education

Here is a little help for you Water Boy...

mil·i·tant

/ˈmiləd(ə)nt/

Learn to pronounce

adjective

combative and aggressive in support of a political or social cause, and typically favoring extreme, violent, or confrontational methods.

"the army are in conflict with militant groups

You're welcome, "know it all".

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 3:15 PM
  • Nothing new there, however, your definition makes your email assertion regarding "militants" even more silly.

Any attempt at sarcasm needs at least, a tiny element of truth. Whoever put your contribution apparently failed to grasp that.

Tragically, there are too many gullible conservatives/republicans today that take this "material" seriously and literally.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 3:27 PM

Tragically, there are too many gullible conservatives/republicans today that take this "material" seriously and literally.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 3:27 PM

You mean like you did Water Boy?

Dam I didn't know you was a Conservative/Republican

Quite frankly, being a little more on the intelligent side than Liberals/Leftist Democrats, I believe the real Conservatives/Republicans caught on the first time through. Sorry it took you longer.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 3:40 PM

"Nothing new there, however, your definition makes your email assertion regarding "militants" even more silly.

Any attempt at sarcasm needs at least, a tiny element of truth. Whoever put your contribution apparently failed to grasp that."

There is where you are wrong again Water Boy. Every one of those points carry the element of truth in them as each and every one is an issue today with the brain washing the Leftist Democrats are trying to inflict on the rest of us.

Do you want me to have to go through each and every one of them one at a time and point it out to you or would you like to do a little self education.

Yes Google it is civil.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 3:54 PM

"Do you want me to have to go through each and every one of them one at a time and point it out to you or would you like to do a little self education?"

Hey Water Boy, you haven't respponded to this. Do you need help. I am kind of busy but I will find time to help improve your education.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 4:26 PM

Leftau you chose to start an argument with me and I have demonstrated your errors. Suddenly you do not respond.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 4:52 PM
  • There's no way you could "educate" me or anyone that I know.

No need to go to any trouble. I knew exactly what it was the first time that it, or something similar was posted.

If you want to appear useful, just go through those that you consider as senseless as the "infidel" one and the "militant" one.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 5:05 PM
  • It wasn't an "argument" on my part. I simply pointed out fallacies.

You probably didn't pay attention, but very often, when Trump made a particularly egregious comment, his WH "staff" would try vainly to pass it off as "sarcam."

Sound familiar?

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 5:17 PM

If you want to appear useful, just go through those that you consider as senseless as the "infidel" one and the "militant" one.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 5:05 PM

Senseless, I hardly think so. Most have something to do with what you and the Leftist Sleezebags try to throw at Conservatives.

Militant.... well where do you place Leftwing folks like BLM? There are more. I have very little use for anything far Left or far right. And it is just as fair to throw every Liberal into the mix with these Militant Marchers as it is to group all people on the Conservative Side into one camp which is a favorite or yours Lefty.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 5:21 PM
  • No answer it seems.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 5:24 PM

Sound familiar?

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 5:17 PM

No, it does not. And if you cannot recognize that little piece as sarcasm on every point. I cannot help you. But how many times when a Conservative tries defending the 2nd ammendment doesn't someone of your ilk try tying them to some radical group?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 5:56 PM
  • No answer again.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 5:57 PM
  • Thought you'd explain the senseless ones.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 5:58 PM

Thought you'd explain the senseless ones.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 5:58 PM

I didn't see any senseless ones in there. Each addressed a particular issue.

Which ones did you truly think were senseless. Not the ones you didn't like brought up.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 6:21 PM
  • For a start...

Being a "fascist" has nothing to do with "planning and budgeting."

Going to high school and tech school and getting a job is what makes you "advantaged" nothing else does.

Being heterosexual has nothing to do with being a homophobe, it's your own choice.

They're all similar, but if you still don't get it, I'll continue.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 6:36 PM

"Being heterosexual has nothing to do with being a homophobe, it's your own choice."

They're all similar, but if you still don't get it, I'll continue.

Leftau if i were to bring up what I think about all of the things happening, such as more than two genders and bi-sexual and sex changes and all of the other stuff that they want to pound into our children starting with kindergarden the first thing that comes out of a Libs mouth is "homophobe" and you know it. I am not allowed to voice my opinion on such items because the Leftist, Socialistic Democrats have decreed so.

Yes Google I think it is civil.

Right now on what I consider a legitimate conversation I am sensored. So better read this quick.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 7:18 PM

Another thing before you get started on it, being White, I have been told that makes me privileged by one of your Leftist Democrats on here some time back who quit posting soon as we were required to post under our own names. If she was ashamed of her political and Liberal leanings, shame on her. I could care less what people think. I came from a poor background to being comfortable and nobody gave me anything. I worked for every nickel and I never backed up to a pay window in my life. A good number of those years I was self employed. And I was out there servicing my customers needs many times when others I knew were out dining and dancing. I will apologize to no one for the position I worked to put myself into At seven years old I was out working in the fields, it was not a choice at that time. So I am privileged because I worked and others who draw welfare checks and sit on their behinds watching the big flat screen wile I worked consider themselves underprivileged. Well too bad. I will not apologize to them. I am helping fund that check they go to the mailbox for and then cash. And do not tell me a black man cannot succeed at business. I happily contract the services of one as I need his company for my rental business. A great guy and I am proud to call him friend, And his two sons are following in his footsteps.

Life is about choices, be careful how you make them.

And before you shoot your mouth off Water Boy, I will tell you there is nothing privileged and exciting about looking at the north end of a southbound mule.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 8:01 PM

Where did you go Water Boy? You was bugging me to explain myself so I did.

No response?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Apr 24, 2022, at 8:41 PM

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 7:20 AM

Yes, he appears to be as confused as his leader. The one he told us was smarter, more honest, better qualified, etc, etc, before the election.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 7:51 AM

Oh and I forgot, they have a number of them just as qualified waiting in the wings to lead the party forward.... and the country backwards.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 7:55 AM

It appears Elvis I mean Water Boy has left the building. Just in case he returns here is something for him to work on. Goes along with some of what we were talking about.

https://apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/mailboxes/@.id==VjN-OL5_SXker-VGb7Wq0AMp9a_nBC...

The above link will give you a video that explains Gender for the confused of the world.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 10:36 AM
  • Mr. VanGennip,

Why would you need a video to explain gender? There are two, male and female.

How do you see that as a problem? I don't.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 10:45 AM

How do you see that as a problem? I don't.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 10:45 AM

Ha, then you must be a Homophobe also! Welcome to the club Water Boy. But you do understand that puts you at odds with many on the wacky far left.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 10:55 AM
  • As for "privilege," being white doesn't make you privileged, it's simply what's bestowed on you by others, just because of your race.

It's not something you can deny, it's there because of the nature of our society. It doesn't make you "racist" because it's not something you control.

Black Americans understand this, but I really don't believe you will, because you don't want to.

That's also why you need not bother to respond, just remain blithely complacent.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 11:00 AM

Rick it's been several years ago since I figured out that girls weren't just soft boys.

However we have an element out there that appears to be very confused by it all.

And if we make mention of their confusion we are at risk of being called a homophobe.

There is very little tolerance of our not understanding their confusion.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 11:02 AM
  • Mr. VanGennip,

It doesn't "make me" anything of the sort.

As I mentioned many times before, all of the "crazies" are not just on the far right.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 11:03 AM

Well Water Boy, then why do people on the Wacky Left call us Homophobes if we question their Gender Confusion. There is a high percentage of the Left that promote that multiple gender BS, calling it what it is. Been told I am a homophobe for my opinion. Don't agree with the wacky left they hang a label on you.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 11:14 AM
  • Why would anyone pay attention to them? If you talk and act like a "homophobe" you probably are one, if you don't, you're not.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 12:00 PM

Rick, never had any dealings with a car with a non standard engine in it. Same think can be said for a woman.

I will take both as they came off the assembly line.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 12:06 PM

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 12:00 PM

I refer to a spade as a spade, nothing more, nothing less. You and the Wacky Left can refer to me any way that pleases you, the reflection lies with the source. I know who I am and can easily deal with it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 12:11 PM

Water Boy

NOUN

a person with a dislike of or prejudice against gay people:

"we never allowed the homophobes we met to get the last word"

Number one, "Gay" people are happy people, not queer.

I object to their hi-jacking the word and always have. Gay is a state of happiness and has nothing to do with your sexual orientation or likes and dislikes. That is making the word something they are not. I have no personal dislike or prejudice for them. They leave me along I assure you I will not bother them or bother with them. Just leave me out of the equation.

You cannot make something pretty or you can not make something ugly by changing it's name. It is what it is.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 12:22 PM
  • Please, call yourself whatever you want.

Furthermore...

"There is a high percentage of the Left that promote that multiple gender BS..."

That's only your opinion. Less than 5% is not a "high percentage."

Most people, including myself, don't care at all. Seems that only a "high percentage" of the right worry themselves about this.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 12:55 PM

Thought I responded but don't see it.

Well Water Boy, you defend all things Democrat, so I suppose that makes you one of them.

The reason the right mentions, not worries, it is because they are realists with both feet on the ground and not some pie in the sky Leftist BS.

And the Right is honest in calling it what it is. You cannot change things by hanging phony titles on them. Doesn't make things pretty, just phony. Be honest.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 2:09 PM
  • What is being defended? I don't care what you want to call anyone.

That shouldn't be too hard for you to comprehend.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 2:50 PM

-- Posted by Diseased. . .Turtle on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 3:25 PM

Yes Rick, Queers have probably always been with us. But for the earlier part of my life, don't remember when it changed, they pretty much kept it to themselves. They were not in your face with it.

Remember when I first had any open contact with anyone that way. I was like 18, a farm boy relocated to the city, went into a public rest room in Tower Grove Park, while girl friend waited in the car. Upon leaving, this older guy tried blocking me and voiced his intentions. I told the SOB where he could find his teeth if he didn't get the hell out of my way. He understood. I don't care what they do among themselves, just keep it to themselves and stay away from me with it. And I will continue to call it what it is, not some hi-jacked word that means nothing of the kind. it is like anything else. Call it what it is.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 3:59 PM

Elon Musk buys Twitter and the left no longer controls free speech.

https://share.newsbreak.com/y2e8zbi2

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 4:10 PM

Rick, I believe Florida's response was to the parents who wanted their children to be taught the 3 r's instead of trying to brain wash them. And I firmly believe a parent should have input on how their children are taught in public schools. Public taxes support public education and the public should furnish the direction in education not the hired hands.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 5:58 PM

Rick, I believe Florida's response was to the parents who wanted their children to be taught the 3 r's instead of trying to brain wash them. And I firmly believe a parent should have input on how their children are taught in public schools. Public taxes support public education and the public should furnish the direction in education not the hired hands.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 5:58 PM

if it was banned then why were they teaching it? Or wasn't the law inclusive enough and they were finding their way around it??

As I heard it the parents were upset about something?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 7:16 PM
  • Rick S.,

You're right there are already laws and it's not in any curriculum.

DeSantis wants an issue that he can use to rant and rave (Trump style) proclaiming something like, look what I've done, I'm protecting your children from the evil teachers.

Continuing on with claims like, only I can save our schools. He implies parents alone can determine what children can be taught, not considering that 50 parents of 25 kindergarteners could give 50 versions of what and how subjects can be taught.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 7:47 PM

Had a High School teacher try to make Democrats out of us.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 7:50 PM
  • I'm sure you realize what anecdotal evidence is.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 8:31 PM

Water Boy, I was there and know I saved no evidence from the day. I didn't own a tape recorder and never envisioned running into a Leftist Democrat that would think you needed more. He called the a friend of mine a Left handed Republican. Can I prove it no. The friend has been gone these past about 15 years now.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 9:36 PM

Here is something for you Water Boy. If you have 4 minutes try reading it.

https://news.yahoo.com/no-parental-rights-bills-florida-100113054.html

As far as I am concerned when it comes to Children, and there is a difference of opinion on their education and the difference of opinion is between Teachers, School Administrators, Government and Parents. The parents win Hands Down. That would be the Conservative Approach to the issue and where I would be.

Some more education for you.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/02/florida-is-protecting-parental-rights/

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Apr 25, 2022, at 9:48 PM
  • Rick S.,

That's exactly what DeSantis has had in mind all along.

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Tue, Apr 26, 2022, at 11:58 AM
  • Seems the big bad Russians aren’t. Ran into the real bad Ukrainians. Good thing Major Mumbles isn’t sending his Earth Day inspired army of LGBQRST- and electric tanks over to help. He’d be laughed at as most of the world already has.

-- Posted by DA Braswell on Tue, Apr 26, 2022, at 2:06 PM
  • I see the chronic complainer has gotten weekly Hanson harangue completed.

-- Posted by DA Braswell on Tue, Apr 26, 2022, at 5:13 PM
  • How is pointing out some facts to VD complaining?

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Tue, Apr 26, 2022, at 5:50 PM

Figurin' the homeowners down the street are now feeling my pain.

Trying to sell their house, watched as what turned out to be a prospect drive by before stopping down there for their appointment.

The sneer and shock on their faces as they drove by the rental pigpens were priceless.

With the overwhelming weed clumps now approaching knee-high, trash all over the yard, vast ExxonValdez-sized oil stains and related scrap-iron in the street, and young-uns parading around wearing their britches in advertisement of a pass-around prison-(w)itch style while spewing a quite-loud string of obscenities and slurs into their phones, the showing was quite short-lived - can't say they even went inside.

Guessin' the slumlord and paid professional property manager are too busy yakking about 'keeping the cash flow positive' to actually get on their horses and off their dead (keisters) towards actually earning a nickel of it...

-- Posted by fxpwt on Tue, Apr 26, 2022, at 7:17 PM
  • Chronic complainer still in the chronic state.

-- Posted by DA Braswell on Tue, Apr 26, 2022, at 7:39 PM
  • Another "Braswellism" (i.e. a claim seeming to be profound and perceptive) then the author vanishes when pressed for valid proof or a relevant example.

This time it’s, “Chronic complainer still in the chronic state.”

What are the “chronic complaints?” Surely you must be able to come with a few examples, particularly as you assert it's supposedly "chronic."

-- Posted by Rick Lettau on Tue, Apr 26, 2022, at 8:11 PM

"Braswellism"

The Leftists all like "ism's" Communism on the horizon.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Apr 26, 2022, at 9:15 PM

"Wonder how close the FBI is to indicting Hunter Biden and will anything be traced back to 10% Big Guy Joe?"

I think that is why the mid terms are worrying them.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Apr 26, 2022, at 9:37 PM

I believe that NO book should be banned. If parents dont want their children reading a certain book then they can take it away. Book banning is a slippery slope.

-- Posted by dbennett on Thu, Apr 28, 2022, at 5:06 AM

Sorry I didn't catch all of that. Used to parents could "opt out" of their child reading certain clssroom books. I will assume that's a thing of the past.

-- Posted by dbennett on Thu, Apr 28, 2022, at 10:01 AM

Sorry I didn't catch all of that. Used to parents could "opt out" of their child reading certain clssroom books. I will assume that's a thing of the past.

-- Posted by dbennett on Thu, Apr 28, 2022, at 10:01 AM

Ms Deanna, if opting out is allowed where does the child go away from the classroom when it is being taught?

I don't think they want opting out. How will the special interest faction get their brainwashing of young minds done if a parent can simply say, no go?

With years of hiring experience, I can tell you teaching kids to read and write is in dire need.

Obiously you don't hire a service man for these skills. But it sure would be nice if the customer could read the service ticket he hands them stating what he did and how much it costs.

Would sure beat having an employee with those skills rather than all of the ins and outs of immaginary genders. Two equally qualified men show to interview for a job and you can read one's handwriting and not the other's. Who do you suppose will get the job? Not giving a youngster marketable skills but instead filling his head with a bunch of unmarketable theories is cheating the student and the taxpayer.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Apr 28, 2022, at 12:13 PM

More on indoctrination of students without parental permission.

https://thelibertyrevolution.com/school-kept-gender-of-student-a-secret-from-par...

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Apr 28, 2022, at 4:20 PM

Wheels, at the school my son attended they would go to the library and be given another book with parental approval. The school banned one book due to ONE parent who didn't think her teenage daughter could handle a few curse words. The book was Death of A Salesman. Again, I still feel banning books is a slippery slope. As for indoctrination, I had teachers doing that 40 years ago. I will ask the teachers in my family if they are being forced to teach children these things and see what they say. Banning books and not teaching a certain subject due to age constraints is not the same thing.

-- Posted by dbennett on Fri, Apr 29, 2022, at 4:40 AM

Ms Deanna, my concern is when education drifts over into brainwashing. Adolphus Hitler did, others have done it. I would hope we don't have it happen here.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Apr 29, 2022, at 6:49 AM

Fxpwt, I reported our little junkyard abutting one of our HOA member's property on Wednesday to our Alderwoman. Yesterday a code enforcement Officer called me and asked just where our HOA common property was so he could view it and take pictures. I did and he did and he called me again and said a letter would go out, he would reinspect, if not gone another letter another inspection, if not gone the guy gets an invitation to court.

We shall see.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Apr 29, 2022, at 9:07 AM

Wheels, I absolutely understand your concerns and your discussion is polite and your concerns are valid. 🙂

-- Posted by dbennett on Fri, Apr 29, 2022, at 11:00 AM

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Apr 29, 2022, at 9:07 AM

Go Wheels! Hope things turn out well, and things get cleaned up there.

Turned in a complaint for their yard here, figure with the overwhelming weed clumpages now approaching knee-high, well above the 10-inch violation threshold, should be a slam-dunk especially when standing out as the only yard on the block which hasn't been mowed yet this year.

Tried being nice, moved on to stern, figure now the only thing left is to get ugly with them. Just hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those Wile E. Coyote ACME cigar backfires...

-- Posted by fxpwt on Fri, Apr 29, 2022, at 12:16 PM

Fxpwt, I sent pictures of the mess to my Alderwoman, and I have to say she got right on the case. Now we wait and see what happens.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Apr 29, 2022, at 4:41 PM
  • fxpwt,if I only knew where I have a sideline. Dirty deeds done cheap.

-- Posted by DA Braswell on Fri, Apr 29, 2022, at 6:41 PM

Fxpwt, if you cannot get your alderman/woman to do anything, call the Mayor and ask her what you need to do to present your case in the next city council meeting, with pictures and maybe a neighbor or two to go along. Knowing the papers usually cover these things, doubtful they would like to see your little problem aired in the morning news.

I agree with the keeping it at the nice level, as long as possible. But it is your property values that are at risk.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Apr 29, 2022, at 8:46 PM

Nothing worse than a horrible junky neighbor. I have great neighbors who keep everything mowed and are quiet. Well we both do provided it doesn't rain every other day. Point being, I have had the loud horrible trashy neighbors. As well as militant nosey neighbors in the country. Thank goodness mine now are great people.

-- Posted by dbennett on Sat, Apr 30, 2022, at 4:04 AM

- Posted by Diseased. . .Turtle on Sat, Apr 30, 2022, at 5:43 AM

Rick, ever wonder where slums come from and why they exist. A time in history a beautiful city is built by hard working and caring people. A wink of the eye as history is recorded and sa.e beautiful city becomes a dump and an eyesore.

Rules are made to insure this doesn't happen. When it does happen, obviously rules have not been enforced. Ask yourself one question. Why not?

Last year I recently read, 20,000 people fled North St Louis to the surrounding counties, St. Louis, St. Charles, and Jefferson.

Will we enforce our rules, or will we cower and not do so when the R word is thrown at us.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Apr 30, 2022, at 8:10 AM

I lived in South St. Louis, where they scrubbed their sidewalks in the 56-57 Era. You washed your car, you do it in the alley. North St Louis was on it's way already.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Apr 30, 2022, at 9:16 AM

It is like a virus, it spreads. And now, nothing is a prosecutable crime in the City of St Louis, if you are the correct color. But Lord help you if you try to protect your home. It will not turn around until you have to bulldoze everything inside of 270. I won't be here by then.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Apr 30, 2022, at 10:13 AM

Rick, within the past 5 uears I have lived in an apartment where I had a very dark complected neighbor accross the hallway and they were good neighbors. The apartment was in Streets of St. Charles a very nice neighborhood and ownership tolerates nothing but a well kept property and provided inspection to see that it was done. Something you agreed to upon leasing an apartment. They had public computers there and I kept seeing a young black lady working there very late at night and alone. I suggested to her that was not really safe for her to do that. She said she worked and was going to college and had to do her homework but could not afford her own computer. I asked her if she would accept a used computer as a gift. She said she would. I picked out one of the better ones that I had been given a bill of sale for in lieu of rent not paid by a commercial tennant and set it up for her. She thanked me and I stopped seeing her setting alone in the computer room if wife and I came home late from visiting with kids. I have a deep appreciation for people who will do their best to help themselves and absolutely none for those who will not work.... and I do not give a Tinker's dam for those who will not try to better themselves.

And shade of skin has nothing to do with it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Apr 30, 2022, at 11:23 AM
  • Watching 60 Minutes this evening and witnessing the atrocities Putin is throwing down on Ukraine I’m beginning to think it’s time to really step in.

The Drinker of the House and Captain Mumbles promises money but what does it really get? I had no idea what kind of food exports come from Ukraine and it’s all but shut down. Beginning to think the US is just plain scared of Russia.

-- Posted by DA Braswell on Sun, May 1, 2022, at 6:39 PM

Mr. Braswell. A very large part of me agrees but there is a smaller part of me that wonders if cr@zy Putin will start WWIII. Or maybe that's his endgame anyway.

-- Posted by dbennett on Mon, May 2, 2022, at 4:55 AM

The Cuban Missile Crisis was before my time but I do remember growing up under a continual threat of nuclear war, complete with movies, books and school drills. I think we became complacent with Putin as a whole. Do I think Biden can fix this mess? No. Not sure who can since he is threatening any country who tries to impede him. In regards to producing food, I think the US is already producing at a high rate. The other European nations may need to start, provided they have the land, equipment and know how. This is what happens when governments depend heavily on other countries like Russia to produce and export products and commodities when their own resources are there. Rather than worrying about the "Green Deal", world leaders need to realize there will be no future if we all starve.

-- Posted by dbennett on Mon, May 2, 2022, at 11:01 AM
  • The Drinker of the House going to Ukraine is like me watching “Hoarders”.

“Hoarders” makes feel better about my humble cabin so perhaps the Drinker is there to see a place that just may be worse than her San Francisco district. The big difference is the Russians are to blame there and the Drinker is to blame here.

-- Posted by DA Braswell on Mon, May 2, 2022, at 11:13 AM

Looks like the prediction was right, this time.

"Nearly risk-free I bonds to deliver a record 9.62% interest for the next six months" https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/nearly-risk-free-i-bonds-to-deliver-a-re...

Why, that's even higher than the City sales tax rate. :-)~

-- Posted by fxpwt on Mon, May 2, 2022, at 1:53 PM

-- Posted by dbennett on Mon, May 2, 2022, at 11:01 AM

MS Deanna, perhaps we should quit paying our farmers not to plant and encourage them to produce so we could make up some of these world shortages at a profit for a change.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, May 2, 2022, at 3:13 PM

-- Posted by fxpwt on Mon, May 2, 2022, at 1:53 PM

Fxpwt had a friend accountant talking about this to me, but my daughter a CPA is not to keen on them.

And there are some limitations on them. See following paragraph from the link.

"However, there are purchase limits, you can’t tap the money for one year and there’s a penalty for selling within five years."

So the money in my emergency fund is exempt from going into these, for sure.

And I would like to know a little more about the "nearly no risk" ditty. Could that be something like the government could change the rules at will. Or???

Hell, marriage is a "nearly no risk" business right?

I believe I would be better off trying to find someone selling their stock in my local bank which has been around 155 years and is a lot better managed than the Federal Government. And people are on a waiting list to buy the stock. I have some purchased about 40 years ago that now pays me more in dividends annually than I paid for the stock. And I trust them, which is more than I can say for the Federal Government.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, May 2, 2022, at 3:39 PM

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, May 2, 2022, at 3:39 PM

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Mon, May 2, 2022, at 4:50 PM

Agree, but these used to be the old government 'savings bonds', considered by many as some of the safest places around to put money.

Other option is their Series EE bonds which guarantee doubling at 20 years, but the recent path on early redemption is pretty sorry at 1 and 2% per year - and a bit beyond my realistic timeline probabilities.

Concerned a bit about the indication - the previous rate was 7.12%, so a 2.5% jump from the adjustment just 6-months ago. Questioning here what their crystal ball-gazers are seeing. Kinda wondering if the Fed's coming apparent slam-dunk predicted increase of 'only' 0.5% later this week is big enough soon enough...? Been through the 70s and 80s once, that was enough!

Figure the limit at $10K per year per individual and related restrictions are to ward off massive influxes such as now, and corresponding outflows when greener grasses are elsewhere.

Certainly not for everybody, but another path to consider...figurin' not truly stuck until out of options.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Mon, May 2, 2022, at 5:37 PM
  • I was thinking about that bumper sticker my best buddy has on his vehicle…

“Someone else for President”.

I remember Mr Lettau twisting the point of it to again besmirch Trump. Well the sticker is still there and Trump is gone. Sooo,someone else for President more than ever.

-- Posted by DA Braswell on Mon, May 2, 2022, at 6:33 PM

Wheels, I remember when the farm government programs came out big time in the 80's. My father and his brothers hated them. Because they didn't want the government telling them where, what and how to raise crops. At that time, either a farmer signed up or they were unable to sell their grain. Most of the older farmers still hate them. However, they are so much a part of ag now they will never go away. Too many beauracratic jobs to save ya know. Also, imo, these huge corporate farms should not get them. If you farm 200,000 acres in 4 states why do you need subsidies? For that matter, why does ADM need subsidized?

-- Posted by dbennett on Tue, May 3, 2022, at 4:51 AM

DT, my son tried to make pemmican once. It didn't turn out lol.

-- Posted by dbennett on Tue, May 3, 2022, at 4:52 AM

My opinion anything that needs subsidizing is problematic. I spent 37 years running my own company I r see tired and my daughter and son-in-law put in another 18 years before selling it 4 years ago. Still going without annual subsidization. I lived the first 18 years of my life on a farm without subsidies.

Government involvement is more of a problem than a solution most often.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, May 3, 2022, at 4:47 PM
  • The pro choice crowd is absolutely loosing what’s left of their minds over this Supreme Court leak of a draft. It’s a draft people!!

-- Posted by DA Braswell on Tue, May 3, 2022, at 5:28 PM

"Government involvement is more of a problem than a solution most often." -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, May 3, 2022, at 4:47 PM

Agree!

Perusing through some of the EBT receipts that the rental trash can't control and subsequently end up in my yard with no intervention from the slumlord or property mangler - dang, they eats good.

Pork steak, beef steak, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, eggs, etc. Nary a price on any of it, just 'APPROVED', so wondering whether price and related pressures to shop for the least expensive options at the lesser expensive stores is even part of the equation. Also, nary any receipts found for bologna, ramen noodles, mac&cheese, soup, or similar low-budget typical items bought when you're paying for it yourself out of your own pocket.

Given my impression of them, figuring the healthy stuff like the fruits end up in the trash, picked up only because it was available on the 'list', and didn't cost nuthin'. They just don't come across as the types to eat that stuff, given the steaks, the regular pizza and other take-out delivery drivers, and their general health and well-being appearances.

Instead of holding a carrot out at the end of the stick, seems the government provides more towards shoving a whole buffet up in their faces.

With that kind of life-support, where's the motivation and ambition to put forth any effort to get up on one's feet, when life is easier just sitting back and lounging around on the keister?

That being said, City was by yesterday for my complaint on the grass and the scrap-iron in the drive with long expired out-of-state plates sitting for 14 months now. Done advised the City that the grass had been partially mowed after the complaint was entered - a pretty sorry hack job they didn't even finish, highlighting their poor work ethic. Still waiting feedback on what the City found/did.

Figure this money-for-nothin' subsidizing falls into a category similar to the TIF fundings, where this wouldn't be happening, but-for some government aid...

-- Posted by fxpwt on Tue, May 3, 2022, at 5:56 PM
  • DT,hard to say about a pre planned release of that draft. Heard there’s a clerk for one of the hard core lib justices that’s being investigated but who knows. Deliberations at the Supreme Court are notoriously slow and willing to bet whatever that first draft says will change.

-- Posted by DA Braswell on Tue, May 3, 2022, at 6:37 PM
  • Skipping around here but following an EBT’er through the check out line makes it hard to hold my tongue at times.

It is amazing what qualifies. Junk food. Pure junk food. Then meet up again in the lot watching those EBT’ers load up that really nice SUV. Same ones I’ve seen lined up at every free food giveaway.

-- Posted by DA Braswell on Tue, May 3, 2022, at 6:43 PM

Respond to this thread