Speak Out: How about Potty Reform

Posted by Skeptic1 on Wed, May 12, 2010, at 10:04 AM:

Replies (13)

• "The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee held hearings Wednesday on the "Potty Parity Act," a bill that seeks to address the unequal number of restroom facilities for women in federal buildings by requiring at least a 1-to-1 ratio for toilets, including urinals, in women's and men's restrooms."

Yep ... our politicians really, really need to be part-time employees!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, May 12, 2010, at 6:40 PM
  • Let me see, the Congress pays for the federal buildings (with our money, but they sign the checque), they approve the plans, they specify the requirements. Is a law telling Congress what they have to buy really necessary, couldn't that just be written into the specs when they order the thing designed...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, May 12, 2010, at 7:53 PM
  • On the lighter, sorta-relevant side - and shamelessly borrowing from one comedian's observation -

Perhaps Microsoft can use this measure to revive their iLoo idea http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-05-14-iloo-hoax-retract_x.htm - a system where portable toilets are equipped with a wireless keyboard and a height-adjustable plasma screen with high-speed Internet access - perfect for those who want to log in while logging out. :-)~

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, May 12, 2010, at 8:07 PM
  • Now fxpwt, that was a show stopper!

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 12:34 AM
  • Give them a chance to do a little downloading eh?

-- Posted by mynameismud on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 2:08 AM
  • I'm thinking they spent a bunch and a gob on remodeling of capitol restrooms a few years back.

As far as D.C is concerned, if they would get all the lobbyist out they probably would have plenty of room for federal rest.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 7:05 AM
  • If you're a woman and have ever be to a conference (or anyplace with sessions - perhaps court), you'd understand the problem caused by a lack of parity.

-- Posted by concerned4all on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 7:30 AM
  • We were at the races years back and the ladies line was very long, just a two or three man wait. A lady crossed over in front of the waiting men and announced she was coming in, couldn't wait any longer and with eyes straight ahead she coursed to the rear toilet stall. She left with humble pleas for pardon. Recieving such many others followed her lead and no one seemed to mind. [There were adequate "John Wayne stanchions separating the urinals]

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 9:06 AM
  • Just one of those wierd thoughts that often jump into my head ...

The urinals in men's restrooms are not in 'stalls' ... so ... would it be fair to consider that if women should have an equal ratio of fixtures, they should have an equal ratio of un-stalled, out-in-the-open toilets?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 2:13 PM
  • I can see it now, one bathroom for men, one for women, one for lesbians, one for gay men, one for transvestites, one for transgenders, one for bisexuals, and one for transsexuals (gee hope I didn't leave anyone out?) ..... and they will all have $10,000 toilet seats because it is the government after all.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 2:20 PM
  • If we'd only passed the Equal Rights Amendment, the issue would have vanished - gender specific restrooms would have been illegal, and builders would only have to build half as many restrooms.

Alas, another opportunity, lost...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 2:26 PM
  • I mistakenly entered the wrong room in a high end resort once. I was immediately aware because the mens luxury room did not have a pre-room filled with vanity seats and two lady attendants.

It just makes sense that men and women are different and need different arrangements.

I just can't see making a political issue out of it as a way to spend tax monies. If it is needed they can cut out something unneeded to pay for it.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 3:18 PM
  • You got it, Old J.! Why the heck would anyone even consider that our government should make laws regarding rest rooms? As I've said ... they sure need to be part-time employees.

For that matter, though ... Why should stadiums, restaurants, etc., have to provide rest rooms? Is that a law?

Reminds me of the handicapped laws ... We certainly have had a field day in allowing government intrusion into private business ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Fri, May 14, 2010, at 1:55 AM

Respond to this thread