Speak Out: Snore of Missouri: ZZzzzzzzz...

Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Sat, Aug 1, 2009, at 6:27 PM:

"There are a lot of hillbillies around here who are in for a big shock when they see how many cycling enthusiasts from multiple states come here to take in this race."

-- Posted by heye1967 on Fri, Jul 31, 2009, at 7:34 PM

Need I say more?

Replies (7)

• "The council also approved a request from the Cape Girardeau Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce to spend $145,000 from city motel and restaurant tax receipts on promoting tourism. The one item that was discussed was the plan to spend up to $20,000 on sponsorship of the Tour of Missouri Local Organizing Committee."

There ya go folks! I told ya! Taxpayer money USED for the Snore of Missouri! Knew it! I KNEW that they would fall short and eventually the taxpayers would end up sponsoring this!!!!

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 5:27 AM
  • "A decision on the final amount will be made after discussions of the CVB board, chamber president and CEO John Mehner said. But providing the full amount, he said, will have two benefits -- a much larger presence in the advertising and promotional aspects of the race and to make sure the local committee can reimburse the city for an estimated $5,000 in police overtime costs."

Yeah...uh-huh...not a dime out of the taxpayers. Liars!

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 6:45 AM
  • I know that cyclists have as much of a right to use our roads as motorists. But I have a problem with them. They need to make smarter decisions about which roads they ride on. I live on Hwy. 177. The cyclists on this road are often encountered on blind corners and hills. They make no effort to move over to the side when there is oncoming traffic. One of them is going to get killed and the motorist is the one that will be in trouble. I used to think that dodging deer was the biggest concern when traveling this highway. At least the deer have the sense to try to get out of the motorist's way.

-- Posted by riregrist on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 11:31 AM
  • I beg to differ on deer getting out of the way as I hit one on Sprigg St. last winter. I also ride on several county roads and Hwy 177. I stay to the right as safely as possible when riding these roads. The blind spots and hills are part of the hazards of the road, no doubt. I enjoy riding my bike enough to take the risks associated with being on these roads. Please don't generalize on all riders being irresponsible as that is no more the case than me generalizing that all drivers on the road are out to run me over every chance they get. Just try to share the road as best we all can.

-- Posted by swimfan on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 12:14 PM
  • Dont forget armadillo's

-- Posted by racer3694 on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 5:58 PM
  • and bears. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 6:30 PM
  • riregrist, I'm confused by your description of cyclists encountering oncoming traffic? Are you saying they're riding on the right side of the road, into the oncoming traffic?

If not, and they are on the left side, as they should be, I think they have the same right of way in that lane as any other vehicle. So, are you coming around these turns in the middle of the road?

How would encountering a cyclist be different than encountering a...mature driver who's a tad under the limit?

Got brakes?

-- Posted by Maynard on Tue, Aug 4, 2009, at 6:48 PM

Respond to this thread