Speak Out: Are Both the Democrats and Republicans Trying to Hide Their Party Affiliation?

Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Sep 19, 2010, at 10:10 PM:

I put on a couple of hundred miles today and saw a lot of political signs. Didn't see much in the way of the two major parties being mentioned. Both Emerson and her opponent seem to have forgotten who they are politically.

Wha do you think?

Replies (17)

• As an Independent, I can't hide my party affiliation. I don't have any.

Larry Bill, Independent Conservative Candidate for Congress, 8th District, Missouri

-- Posted by nolimitsonthought on Sun, Sep 19, 2010, at 10:19 PM
  • I've noticed this before. Seldom does a sign indicate which party. One guy uses the same sign for whatever office is available. "Vote ....." [his name] Same sign each election.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Sep 19, 2010, at 10:33 PM
  • Incumbants are thinking in the old well worn ways of electioneering. They are failing to grasp the groundswell of discontent of the American electorate.

In some cases, the candidate may be smart trying to hide political or party affiliation. So we've got a bunch of magpies sitting on telephone lines singing "Elephants can't fly and jackasses can't kick."

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Sep 19, 2010, at 11:25 PM
  • Your right Rick and, Im one of them.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Mon, Sep 20, 2010, at 8:56 AM
  • That's really not new. There have been several elections in which various candidates do not put their party affiliation on their signs, posters, and campaign literature.

There do seem to be more of them this year, but I can't say positively that such is the case. I seem to recall that, in 1996, a number of Democrats in particular lost their donkeys, or at least they did not have them on their yard signs.

I have noticed several instances this year in which I have had to Google a candidates' name (even in the case of incumbents) to find their party affiliation.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Sep 20, 2010, at 9:10 AM
  • Even if the voter can put aside party affiliation as a consideration, it should be sufficient to not vote for someone who is an incumbent.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Sep 20, 2010, at 10:00 AM
  • There IS only one party in American politics these days: Incumbents.

-- Posted by bebo on Mon, Sep 20, 2010, at 11:37 AM
  • Nah, Rick. Two party system...Right or Wrong.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Sep 20, 2010, at 12:23 PM
  • MeLange

The way I was looking at the situation,

it appears most of them would like to hide who they are. Both parties, and not without a reason either.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Sep 20, 2010, at 12:56 PM
  • A lot of them should hide their faces.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 20, 2010, at 12:59 PM
  • All of them should take a long walk off a short pier.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Sep 20, 2010, at 3:08 PM
  • All of them should take a long walk off a short pier.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Sep 20, 2010, at 3:08 PM
  • DTower wrote:

"All of them should take a long walk off a short pier."

I did that once. I was counting the spaces between the boards on the pier, and walked right off the end.

"Well." I told my wife, "That just goes to show you."

"Show me what?" She asked.

"When you're out of slits, you're out of pier." I replied.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Sep 20, 2010, at 3:19 PM
  • Me'Lange,

It was nice to meet and talk with you also!

When I placed my massive order of 100 yardsigns, I had to use a template to get the cheapest price. There wasn't anywhere on the template for me to state political party. All that anyone is worried about these days is "paid for by" - there's your political party.

BTW - I am the Libertarian Party candidate. When I run for re-election in '12 my campaign coffers will be overflowing, and I will able to afford the two-star signs with my party affiliation and a cute slogan like "Vote For Lump - I Will Leave You the Hell Alone", or "I Can't Be Any Worse" :)

-- Posted by Lumpy on Mon, Sep 20, 2010, at 7:03 PM
  • Well, Lump, are we to assume we may look forward to you running in 2012?

If so, stay away from Piers, if we are to correctly draw a lesson from Hunter.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Sep 20, 2010, at 8:16 PM
  • V'ger,

I am finally starting to have a little fun with this campaign. My outlook may be different two years from now.

I stay away from piers, but I have problems with signposts.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Mon, Sep 20, 2010, at 8:32 PM
  • Sounds like Evenhanded Vandeven ain't leav'n. Will Lumpy be stump'n all the way? Stick with Rick and tune in next week for Rick's fix when Vandeven gets even.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Sep 21, 2010, at 12:01 AM

Respond to this thread