Speak Out: JO ANN EMERSON VOTES....AGAINST... SMALL BUSINESS LENDING BILL

Posted by RA on Tue, Oct 5, 2010, at 2:52 PM:

You really need to get over your obsession with Jo Ann Emerson.

Replies (10)

• i have to agree that she has lost my respect as a congress woman. And I think that people need to know what she has done and keeps doing. However your approach does seem a little obsessive and makes people want to tune you out. Maybe you could try a different approach.

-- Posted by thumkin on Tue, Oct 5, 2010, at 3:01 PM
  • thumkin

Exactly, I am no fan of Jo Ann Emerson, but Lemmie/Inimcus et al has become tiresome, so I usually just skip the posts. And I won't even comment on the V avatar.

-- Posted by RA on Tue, Oct 5, 2010, at 3:10 PM
  • I.G. I totally agree with you!! Keep on spreading the knowledge!! Knowledge is most definitely infinite!!!!

-- Posted by bettyboop1971 on Tue, Oct 5, 2010, at 3:14 PM
  • Question... ...and don't jump up and say I'm supporting Emerson. I'm just against another giant grab of my great-great-great-great-great-grandchildren's money.

Weren't there 2 other bills that were supposed to help small business and get the economy going. One an $862B Stimulus Bill; one an $15B Stimulus Bill? If stimulus is so wonderful, why didn't the bottom drop out of the Unemployment Rate? And, why didn't we use unspent funds from the $862B Stimulus Bill for the new bill like they did for Cash for Clunkers?

The lack of government sponsored loans is not the problem; look at CRA, Fannie, Freddie that had a huge hand in getting us into this mess in the first place. Banks piling up 40-times-leverage to get loans out there.

The lack of certainty for businesses is the real problem. They don't know what tax/regulation they're going to get hit with next and aren't willing to do anything risky. Every day there's a new revelation from the Health Control law.

Give them some certainty, and things will start moving again.

If I were in Congress, I would have voted against this bill too. I don't know why Emerson did, but to me there's plenty of reason to vote "NO".

If you REALLY want to spur business growth, get rid of Corporate Income Tax altogether. It's just another semi-hidden tax on you and me anyway.

-- Posted by bebo on Wed, Oct 6, 2010, at 2:07 PM
  • "War is the father fo all things and the king of all; and some he has made gods and some men, some bond and some free." Heraclitus of Ephesus

"War is like love, it always finds a way" Berthold Brecht

"War is the strength of life" William James

"Human nature will make you fight. Everyone is subject to human nature" Bhagavad Gita

"The whole earth, perpetually steeped in blood, is nothing but an immense altar on which every living thing must be sacrificed without end, without restraint, without respite until the consummation of the world, the extinction of evil, the death of death." Joseph de Maistre

"The history of man is the history of war." [attributed to] Hermann Goering

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Oct 6, 2010, at 3:55 PM
  • I'm merely pointing out that we always find ourselves at war. Now, everyone is clamouring about the lack of necessity of going to war in Afghanistan and in Iraq, but President Bush had little difficulty getting the country behind him when we went. We weren't lied into war, we went willingly. The idea that we were 'lied to' came up as an excuse, as an absolution, if you will, for our feeling of guilt for the bloodlust we felt after 9/11.

When Peter the Great wanted to the Russians to shave their beards, he had a mutiny on his hands, and he had to impose taxes and penalties to get it done. When he wanted them to go to war, all he had to do was give the word, and they were ready to follow.

You see a 'globalist conspiracy' in all these things, I see the normal functionings of human behaviour. Wars, expanding governments, free citizens disinterested in the tedious nature of maintaining democracy: these are the ways of our lives, from Ancient Greece, through the Roman Empire, to the America today. The people are simultaneously restless and complacent. They can be easily led into battle to die for a freedom they will willfully surrender in peacetime. It is the paradox of democracy, and of human nature.

All of your ranting won't change it. The handbasket continues its decline, oblivious to the warnings of sages and the ravings of madmen alike.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Oct 6, 2010, at 4:27 PM
  • I don't believe I've ever advocated that the government is superior to the people. I've advocated that the Executive has extraordinary powers in times of war and national emergency.

Ultimately the people have the final say so in any government, whether democracy or tyranny or anything in between, becauce they, by power of numbers, have the ability to decide how they will be ruled. If we be led by fools or by sages, it is ultimately of our doing.

I think you mistake my pointing out the follies of democratic rule as advocating for its abolition. That is not the case. I favour our system of government to any other, but I tire of the citizens unwillingness to do their duty and ensure that it be properly executed.

I have no love for Joann Emerson, nor can I vote for or against her. However, if you're going to throw her out, you'd best make sure the one that will replace her is, in fact, a better choice. In our system, despite the presence of third and fourth parties and independents on the ticket, it nearly always comes down to two candidates, and those two are representatives of the two major parties. That is not by conspiracy, but by the short-sightedness of the people who can't seem to be burdened with the business of government by the people. I'm sure Mr. Bill and Mr. VandeVen are fine gentlemen, but the odds are against them because they seek to run outside the normal party structure. The race will most likely come down to Ms. Emerson vs. Mr. Sowers, and I have not been convinced that Mr. Sowers is a better choice.

If the election of Mr. Obama has taught us anything, it should have taught us that change for changes sake is not a noble concept.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Oct 6, 2010, at 5:10 PM
  • I didn't know I chimed in to discuss war, but oh well.

Another question then. What was Saddam Hussein going to do with the 500 Tons of Yellow Cake Uranium that the U.S. shipped back to the States in 2008... ...make Twinkies?

-- Posted by bebo on Thu, Oct 7, 2010, at 9:46 AM
  • IG, your attacks on me are unreasonable and pathetic as you know nothing about me, who I support, or my ideology.

Instead of spewing your vitriol, you could have spent 10 seconds finding this article from 2008:

http://www.military.com/news/article/us-removes-uranium-from-iraq.html

Continue to hide behind your Ron Paul cultist attacks on neo-cons; hope that works out for you. I'm out.

-- Posted by bebo on Fri, Oct 8, 2010, at 7:38 AM
  • Actually, Goerring was a Nazi only because the Nazis were willing to give him an army to lead. He was ultimately a militarist. War was the breath of life for him. He lived war, breathed war. Achieving peace was never his goal, and I doubt he cared too much what uniform he wore.

That would put him in company with men like Alexander the Macedonian, Napoleon Bonaparte, and Ghenghis Khan.

Peter the Great was a Czar, a term derived from Caesar, and indicative of our common heritage. Peter tried to westernize Russia, instituting reforms such as the aforementioned beard shaving.

I'm sure you misinterpreted whatever it was I said about government and the people, just as you misinterpret my reasons for posting the quotes on war. Just as Jesus said, and President Bush paraphrased, "Those who are not for us are against us", so you seem to believe that everyone who does not agree with your views is a part of the 'globalist conspiracy'.

I've explained my views on why government grows and expands the way it does, and that it is not the fault of pin-stripe-suited men sitting in smoke-filled chambers. If you choose to believe that, that is your right. But everyone else is neither a conspirator nor a sheep.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Oct 8, 2010, at 8:09 AM

Respond to this thread