Speak Out: ~Rant alert~

Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 3:37 PM:

Well, I guess since the economy is rolling along, the recession having officially ended, and everyone is adding their efforts to the constantly improving productivity of the American worker, it is only a matter of time till all is well and we can be a drinkin' that free Bubble-Up and a' eatin' that Rainbow Stew.

The DOW rises and falls like waves on the ocean, with the overall economic situation in turmoil, not unlike the seas caught in a global-warming-produced hurricane. Just as global warming heats the Earth and thaws the frozen reaches of the North, so our warming economy will thaw frozen assets and produce a watershed of liquidity, raising our standard of living just as the warming oceans will raise the seas and flood our coasts. Economic indicators will be replenished like watersheds filled with glacial runoff. Commerce, unleashed by the thawing of these assets, will flow like melting polar ice-caps.

Environmentally, water trapped by glaciers for thousands of years will flow throughout the land, restoring fresh water to the environment even as it adds long-extinct species to the eco-system. Our Winters are warming, our Summers grow longer. Soon we will know the passing of the seasons only by the budding of the trees. The eternal summer, long a surfer's dream, will be a reality for us all.

"Procreate and fill the world", we were told, and so we have. Our progeny fill every corner of the world, except Antartica. Soon it, too, will be habitable as it was in the days when giant lizards ruled the land. A continent, long buried under miles of ice, ready to be explored and settled. A land waiting to be mined and plowed, industrialized and exploited. What wonders will we find there? Oil, perhaps to fuel the machinery that propels our lives? Uranium, to build the power plants to light and cool our homes? Something new, unknown, to be tamed and utilized to continue our march to fate? The mind is filled with wonder as a new world rises before us. Nearly three and a half billion acres of wonder await but the thaw!

We live in interesting times. Woe to those who disparage these wonders. Technology has brought us a new world, and with technology we will tame it. We have only scratched the surface, literally, of the wonders this world offers us. Look at the photos of the earth from space; one cannot yet see a mark that tells the naked eye that we are here, now, upon its surface. We build highways and airports to take us from one end of the planet to another, and yet, from our nearest neighbor, the moon, one cannot see a single monument to our accomplishment.

Let us rise to the challenge! Let us leave our mark on this world so that, in the centuries to come our ancestors returning to this mostly harmless piece of rock from their homes in the as-yet-unknown regions of space, will see from afar our monuments and say: "Behold, the land of my fathers".

Replies (52)

• Our leaders have put us in this position of memorization and teaching the test...undermining the concepts of free and open thinking. So therefore it is now more important to be able to memorize and artist and their painting rather than understand the concept behind the paint. And its more important to memorize science facts to pass a standardized test, than it is to understand the concept of why something happened/happens...

-- Posted by insider63785 on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 3:53 PM
  • cockleburrs. Thats my rant. Thats my frustration. Everything else in life right now I can deal with

-- Posted by thumkin on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 4:14 PM
  • -- Posted by Me'Lange on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 1:32 PM

Good point. And literature. The only thing high school literature accomplishes is destroying a youth's interest in reading. Has there really not been ANY decent books the last 50 years? We really think digital age kids are able to identify with 1800s?

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 4:24 PM
  • I am convinced that the current iced tea situation is indicative of the downfall of civilization as we know it.

Iced tea, properly brewed, has a refreshing flavour known and loved for centuries. Unsweetened iced tea is the juice of life, a little taste of Heaven. Just as surely as they seek to pull us farther from Heaven by driving references to God from our daily lives, so indeed do they seek to strip us of our taste of Heaven by depriving us of the pure flavour of our beloved beverage.

We expected no less form 'fast food', mind you. They who can't take the time to properly marinate and prepare a simple hunk of ground cow flesh could not be expected to know real iced tea from that brown sugar-substance they call 'cola'. That which they have the cheek to call 'iced tea' flows from a machine, blended with cold tap water through a plastic hose. It ain't iced tea, and it ain't fit to drink.

Better eating establishments should know better. But, no, they too are succumbing to the call of expedience. They dispense some pre-blended monstrosity cold-blended with tap water, thinking the drinking public will know no better. Well, I know better, and I don't like it.

"Fresh Brewed" it says on the dispenser label. Ha! I say. Ha! Like that fast food commercial explains, it was most likely fresh-brewed months ago, packaged in a plastic container and shipped to a warehouse, where it sat until it was loaded up and shippped to the dining establishment, where it probably sat on a shelf until the bus-boy dumped it into the dispenser with the tap-water hose hooked to the back. I'm surprised they have the cheek to call it 'iced tea', let along 'fresh-brewed'. Give me a break!

I guess it's too much trouble to put a little effort into tea preparation. Too much trouble to make a little effort for the customers. Too much trouble to slave over a hot Bunn Tea machine and run piping hot water over real tea leaves to produce that fine nectar we know and love.

But isn't that where we are in society today? Somebody experimented a few years ago and poured some foul-tasting brown substance mixed with high-fructose corn syrup and lemon extract, poured it in pop-top Aluminium cans and called it 'iced tea', and people bought it. Next, they put in bottles (apparently because they found a way to make the brown substance look more like tea), used a different type of tea extract, raised the price, called it 'green tea', and told us it was healthy for us. It still tasted like high-fructose corn syrup, but by then the public taste buds had been numbed by too much Aluminium.

Now we have 'flavoured' iced teas. High-fructose corn syrup tea coloured beverages with just a hint of plant extract to hide the flavour of the corn syrup. Yum! Yum! Served in bottles and cans. What monster have we unleashed?

Give me that good old iced tea, I say! Darjeeling, English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Black, Orange Pekoe, whatever, just give it to me really fresh-brewed the same day you serve it. Brewed with hot water, boiling preferably. Steeped for just the right amount of time before being poured over pure, clean ice in glass made of...glass, of all things. That's the stuff.

Keep the cold tap water for flushing the toilets. That's what indoor plumbing was made for.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 4:37 PM
  • The fact that my health care premium is increasing 40% despite the fact that my benevolent leader assured me that the healthcare bill was going to lower my premiums.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 4:37 PM
  • DTower, up until you mentioned our "dear leader," this has been an inordinately lovely fall day. Why did you have to go and ruin it?

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 4:57 PM
  • voyager

Just the kind of jerk I am. I figure if benevolent leader is going to ruin my day, I'll go ahead and ruin everyone elses. Sort of copying benevolent leaders belief that if one is poor, everyone should be poor.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 5:03 PM
  • Read Sam Blackwell today..it will close out the topic...

-- Posted by insider63785 on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 5:18 PM
  • Spank, I would say a privacy fence needs to be built asap... but the city recently passed a stupid ordinance not permitting any fence over 3 feet high (wtf did they do that far anyway?)

You have more patience than I. If my neighbor picked my first tomato, he would have a few green ones thrown at him. Aw but that would be a waste since there is nothing better than good fried green tomatos.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 6:11 PM
  • Rick, Several years back while visiting my sister, I learned city folks can be of different varieties.

My brother in law had left for work and Sis was in the bathroom. As I sat on the couch the front door opened and a lady asked "Who are you, where's sis?" I learned that for a couple of neighbors that was standard and everyday behavior.

They all got along great.

I lived next to a guy for years that would come over when I wasn't home and borrow something. I did the same. No big fence needed. He more than once confronted folks that pulled into our driveway while we were gone.

I moved and the neighbors I got now are different but the same. Not nosey, but watchful. I am blessed!

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 9:12 PM
  • Now for my rant. One would never know it from these threads, but I am very hard headed, stubborn and eccentric in my ways and thinking. :) ;)

Example, I got a check from a customer one time that came back ISF. I took it to the bank that it was written on hoping the guy had made a deposit and I could trade the check for the $20 and save him and myself from the embarasment of handing it back to him at his workplace.

The teller said it would clear and she just needed to my social security number.

I pulled my faded and crumpled social security card from my wallet and read aloud the writing on the back, "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION". The lady said no problem, I just need your thumbprint.

That's when I transformed myself into what a northbound wagon driver knows as the southside of what pulls the wagon and told the teller that maybe they should get the thumbprint of the deadbeat that wrote the check.

With that she asked if I would like to talk to one of the managers, and finding my next thought best withheld, I just walked out of that bank. I still keep that check as a reminder.

So my big rant is against me.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 9:49 PM
  • Spank,

Did you ever think of placing some land mines in your garden? ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

By the way, I have had a perfect day... been gone all day and did not become annoyed with anyone on the threads or Speak Out.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 10:37 PM
  • Wheels, Tell us it's not true. Surely someone passed you uphill around a curve. Or something like that. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 10:41 PM
  • I am not fond of or amused by loud boom boxes that penetrate apartment walls at 11pm. Whatever it is ain't music. Just a base going boom, boom, boom. Rick may be right, Spank. Your neighbor may like the boom boom boom but hate the opera music. That usually the case. Sounds like your neighbor ain't got no culture.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 11:23 PM
  • We had a strange fellow living an eight mile from us one time that made some noise. It sounded like the same 4 notes over and over. My neighbor's highway patrol son in law stopped by to visit and asked what the heck is that?

After he left I never heard it again.

Strange fellow left shortly after.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 11:37 PM
  • "I can't leave my doors unlocked. If he comes over and you may be in the bathroom, he'd just walk in."...shoot his stupid a*s !

-- Posted by ...Rick on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 8:50 PM

Good ol castle doctrine.

Old John

When we bought our place at KY Lake the neighbor across the street just walked up and asked (rudely) what we were doing there (he did know it sold). I thought I had a bad neighbor problem.

About a month later he caught some kids breaking in and held them at gunpoint for the police. It turned out the cops had been trying to catch them for months. I have mowed the old geezers yard ever since. He's my buddy.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Oct 14, 2010, at 11:57 PM
  • Voyager,

You could always take up the bagpipes.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Oct 15, 2010, at 8:00 AM
  • Shapely, bagpipes? Good idea, appeals to my Scottish heritage.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 15, 2010, at 8:27 AM
  • Old John,

No passing up hill or anything else irritating happened.

Getting ready to leave for the day again in a few minutes! Got some things to check out at the Missouri History Museum Library.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Oct 15, 2010, at 9:03 AM
  • Here is my rant of the day:

I'm tired of rich and famous Hollywood/politico types telling me thru TV, Movies, documentaries, commercials, etc. that I'm not doing enough to help the world, poor, animals, trees, etc. etc.

How many of these bozo's would be willing to give up there multimillion dollar homes, BMW's, Mercedes, Bentleys, etc. and then give the money to the poor, animals, trees, etc.

They wag their fingers at us and then go out and party all night until the pass out. If they are so worried about it let them pay.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Fri, Oct 15, 2010, at 12:32 PM
  • My current frustration: Red peppers cost too much. It's a Communist plot I tell you!

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 2:55 PM
  • I understand how that can be so frustrating. Happens to me often when someone asks an easy question. I feel for you and can only encourage you to keep the ole chin up.

Besides, unless you plan a career as an art appraiser or something related, knowing all that stuff only gives you tools to make an impression at the liberal folk's cocktail party.

Be the best at everything you do and you will stand out in the important stuff as beyond exellent!

Now that I have showed empathy and offered encouragement, may I this?: Get over on one of the other threads so we can all pick on you! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 3:09 PM
  • MeLange - have you ever taken a psych class? I took one and I swear the one teaching it is talking from experience (completely nuts)! Her tests were extremely unpredictable, often not having a darn thing over the material discussed. The purchase of a textbook was a complete waste of money because not once did she use it. Oh and my favorite part was when we went to a nuthouse to "observe" yes indeed it was straight out of One Flew Over The Coocoo's Nest

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 3:22 PM
  • I have tons of green peppers :o( I just need the red ones.

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 8:57 PM
  • Another thing I am still ranting about:

Attorney's, Ex-Wives, and blackberry thistle. All pains in my.......@$$!

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 8:59 PM
  • MeLange,

Might I suggest if you ever hope to pass that test, you better get with the program. Your memory will not improve with age.

There comes a time when you forget what you had for breakfast, let alone the other 499 pieces of art after you finally get the first one down pat.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 9:39 PM
  • I hate the new SE Missourian online layout! Why oh why do all these websites have to keep changing things around all the time!!! I don't have time to figure out where everything is. When I log in, I want everything right there and easy. Makes me so mad, I could spit nails.

-- Posted by mc9 on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 10:25 PM
  • My rant is that damned rat! For several weeks Trig was on his trail, but, oh no, I wouldn't listen to a little dog. Last night I heard the damned rat knawing. I found 4 mousetraps tripped. bait gone, no rat.

This afternoon Trig moved into high gear and almost nailed the *******.

So Trig and I went to Home Depot, bought a big rat trap and a box of d-con. We are determined to get that skudder one way or another.

Years ago I skewered one with a big meat fork. Felt sad about it for days, but not this time! Hell NO! That's gonna be one dead rat one way or another. I hate rats!!!!

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 10:47 PM
  • Voyager,

What the hey! I thought this thing was only a little mouse a week or so ago. What the hell have you been feeding it anyway. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 11:44 PM
  • Friday Nights: Another night back on the meat market.

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 9:28 AM
  • Mel,

Is the group still meeting on Fridays for lunch? Since I now have no social life to speak of, I might be inclined to meet up.

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 9:46 AM
  • Sounds Great.

Another Rant:

I was at a local coffee shop this morning, and I am now hearing our newly elected "conservative" State Rep has a son who is dope addict, and moving in a "married" woman (that he recently had a kid with) Into their home.

What kinda monkey butt conservative values are those? Didn't anyone know this prior to the election?

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 12:47 PM
  • Nothing quite as reliable as coffee shop gossip.

-- Posted by Acronym on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 12:56 PM
  • IMO...coffeeshop gossip tends to be more truthful. Neighbours see a lot.

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 1:03 PM
  • megalo- good to have you on here again- we may disagree on politics, but you are a hoot.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 1:46 PM
  • I was at a local coffee shop this morning, and I am now hearing our newly elected "conservative" State Rep has a son who is dope addict, and moving in a "married" woman (that he recently had a kid with) Into their home.

Hey, as long as he's not going to pass legislation to make me move in with the married woman I had a kid with, then I say his dope addict son is his problem.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 1:46 PM
  • whooty whooo, whooty whooo. *puts on his woodsy owl glasses*

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 1:53 PM
  • Yea, I know. What was I thinking?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 2:34 PM
  • DTower, no one can not control our grown kids and what they do. Ahh but if only we could. sigh

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 2:39 PM
  • Well i think you can control your grown kids if they are living with you. (which is what i hear is the case.)

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 3:25 PM
  • Just heard Keith Olbermann, the MSNBC commentator, has been suspended without pay becau7se he contributed to several Democratic campaigns. Seems this was a violation of network rules.

His commentary on Election Night was equally awful.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 4:48 PM
  • crap - just got my property tax bill.

My previous daily driver had been assessed at $5 or so for years, the replacement was assessed at a bit north of $200. *hack, cough, puke, etc*

Doggone, just doesn't pay to have anything nice.

Or, perhaps, my fault entirely - maintaining brand loyalty (it was a doomed Pontiac, after all) and repairing the beater that survived 21 years as well as the 'cash for clunkers' Obama-free-money-for-free-loaders giveaway should've taken a higher precedence over simply farming it out for a newer, prettier arm-candy model that does the same thing with no personally-added value. Just simple transportation from Point A to Point B. Same A/C, same heat, same power steering, same power brakes, same color, same state inspection passed, etc.

Not to mention the massive sales tax hit upon purchase, and now having to wear the classic Government Motors-backed bow-tie of simpletons and the other uninformed. *shakes head in disgust and shame*

But, the tax was owed, the tax has been paid. While I gripe incessantly about taxes, I pay what is assessed - in full, and on time. How many of the Cape 'progressives' can say that, without financing it on the 'card', or ending up in the delinquent reports?

At least from my days in KY, in addition to a penalty being assessed for past due, there was a discount offered for paying early. As Jackson electric consumers will soon learn - being prompt, on the ball, and 'with-it' doesn't mean squat.

Grrrrrrrrr!

-- Posted by fxpwt on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 8:50 PM
  • Fxpwt, I came close to doing the cash for clunkers deal. The old minivan I used for work was not needed and had over 200,000 miles and was worth maybe $400. Then I got to thinking, the old Pontiac and Buick still work ok, the sales, property tax and higher insurance would offset any fuel $ savings and the new car thrill is something I am immune to.

Gave the old van to my daughter and it still goes at 18mpg, so far no major repairs.

My Sister took the deal with a low mileage older Ranger in great condition with new tires. AND THEY CRUSHED IT! It was easily worth $2,000.

Gubment thinking at it's best!

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 9:10 PM
  • Old John,

The best part of the cash for clunkers program was that it got a lot of the Obama bumper stickers off the street.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 9:16 PM
  • And I thought it was those "Obama Gone 2012 Flamethrowers" as seen on TV.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 9:21 PM
  • OJ - I thought I had some sense, but apparently, that's what I get for thinking :-)~

Did keep the older 8th generation ('87-'91) F-series Ford pickup through the giveaway - hashed the numbers out with cash-for-clunkers, couldn't get things to work out even close to in my favor.

Not to mention my disgust in talking with a salesman on a replacement model - 'payments would be only $700 per month' - and just how much money does a wet-behind-the-ears, maybe just barely out of college car salesman make to be calling $700 per month 'only'? Grrrrrrr! And what led this I-Phone tweeting, four-square-manipulating twit of greater incompetence to believe that I wasn't looking for one payment of the total sale price?

Invested a couple-grand in a paint / bodywork job, some seatcovers, and other minor fix-ups and repairs of annoying things broke - figuring the payback was pretty much immediate over the depreciation, insurance, and taxes of a new truck, as long as the vetted-302 stays trusty and reliable in its forays well beyond 200K miles. :-) So far, so good.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 9:34 PM
  • I was thinking about cash for clunkers with my 95 Dodge Caravan with 160k. Unfortunately even though it was old it was considered TOO economic on fuel to qualify (by 1 mpg).

A couple of months after the program ended the van blew a head gasket and cost way too much to be repaired. Oh well.

-- Posted by Tech_Dude on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 9:59 PM
  • Fxpwt, My thinking exactly.

I recently read somewhere that Consumer Reports and AAA say it is not a bad deal to invest up to 50% of a car's Blue Book value in repairs. I don't know if I would spend that much. Sometimes you can find a better car like the one you got for a lot less than you think yours is worth.

I have had only one car payment, just before we married.

We have bought several with 50-70,000 miles and ran the miles up a 100,000 more with no major problems. Those have all ended up as $500 cars when we gave them up. A new car would have ended up the same.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 10:01 PM
  • Old John,

I have owned cars that I put more than 50% of their Blue Book value into a fillup counting the gas and the oil.

I remember a 48 Chevy work van. Had one of those suffering sixes that had the little bitty spark plugs that would become fouled and have to be cleaned about every second tank of fuel.

I upgraded that one to a Crosley station wagon with a mangled front fender rendering that headlight useless.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 11:23 PM
  • And then there's $135,000 for a Porsche 911 Carerra S (including a discount for picking it up at the factory in Zeffenhausen). Think I'll pass on that one. Redneck Economics 101, ya know!

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Nov 6, 2010, at 9:07 AM
  • Success! Trig and I nailed the **** rat. Thye rat trip was tripped last night with blood all over the floor...but no corpse. Trigs's majic nose found him...still alive. I grabbed a hammer and finished the job. At least now we won't have to put out poison. Afraid Trig might have gotten into it at an unguarded moment.

Now I'm wondering if the rat had a mate?

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 7, 2010, at 6:13 AM
  • They always do.

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Sun, Nov 7, 2010, at 7:26 AM

Respond to this thread