Speak Out: The End May Be Near...

Posted by Pups on Mon, Aug 17, 2009, at 10:37 PM:

I know this is a an opinion blog/section of the Semissourian and obviously we have a vast variety of opinions in the area. But could the posts/threads of recent days cause the powers that be to close this section? Or would that be against the idea of freedom of speech? And at what point does freedom of speech become inappropriate for general reading? Does clicking on the header constitute a signing of a "buyer beware" kind of release?

Replies (9)

• Pups

When this UHC issue is put to bed one way or the other, providing the SE Missourian does not close down this section, future posters will be able to go back and review this idiocy for years to come via the archieves. Hmmmmm!!

Now that is a proud legacy to leave for those that follow.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Aug 17, 2009, at 10:54 PM
  • Yeah, when unicorns grow two horns and hold Bible study classes in Gaelic will you become a Republican! Sweet Hannah, shall wonders ever cease?

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Aug 17, 2009, at 11:19 PM
  • Pups,

We have seen far worse than this, so I am not worried so much about the paper eliminating, but I am concerned lack of civility coupled with the banality and poor quality of the posts will result in the ongoing loss of interest of enough to make the feature worthless due to lack of participation by more than a few die-hards with little to nothing of value to say.

-- Posted by D'oh on Mon, Aug 17, 2009, at 11:30 PM
  • Wheels,

My thoughts weren't just directed at one poster, I hope that was clear.

I think there will always be an "issue", just think maybe the intensity is getting a bit ummm intense. lol

-- Posted by Pups on Mon, Aug 17, 2009, at 11:37 PM
  • BN1401,

I guess that's what I was trying to say. You just said it better then I did.

-- Posted by Pups on Mon, Aug 17, 2009, at 11:46 PM
  • Pups,

I didn't see your thoughts directed at one poster, nor were mine. The rhetoric needs to be brought down to a gentle roar on all sides.

A little intense may be an understatement.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Aug 17, 2009, at 11:51 PM
  • Pups, I sure hope not. I enjoy giving my invaluable opinion to others. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Aug 18, 2009, at 10:54 AM
  • "So, if you're like me, and think down the middle, you get it from both sides." Absolutely, Spank. Do miss you not commenting as much. Thanks for today's!

If the newspaper's employees read these forums ... Hard to imagine what they must be thinking of some of us?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Tue, Aug 18, 2009, at 12:14 PM
  • Spank the tank,

I probably need to cut back too; liked the quote, here are a couple more:

A man's own good breeding is the best security against other people's ill manners.

Lord Chesterfield

He who sedulously attends, pointedly asks, calmly speaks, coolly answers and ceases when he has no more to say is in possession of some of the best requisites of man. Johann Casper Lavater

A good word is an easy obligation; but not to speak ill requires only our silence; which costs us nothing. John Tillotson

It requires less character to discover the faults of others than is does to tolerate them.

J. Petit Senn

-- Posted by D'oh on Tue, Aug 18, 2009, at 12:29 PM

Respond to this thread