Speak Out: I tend to get off topic. I'll start this thread and talk about anything you want to.

Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 11, 2010, at 6:21 PM:

Spank, everything around us has purple paint but the neighbors friend bagged one in my back yard last year. I think that purple paint means reservered for the land owner and who he may invite. I suspect the deer that ran through the yard were fleeing other hunters.

Deer have been crossing my yard for a couple of months now late at night. There are woods to the south and a wooded area on the back of my 3 acres, people and houses in all other directions.

Even this slim chance I offer to share, I suspect is null and void if the Cape folks impose Peripheral zoning.

Replies (70)

• Spank- my son has ADD. It take a minimum 30 days for the medication to start working and then they sometimes have to change the dosage and wait another 30 days to see if it works. Good luck with it.

II thought the purple stripes is the way to make your prperty. Say if you have 50 acres, you don't want to take the expense of fencing it so you mark the borders with the purple stripe along the outside boundry. You use the stripes instead of "no tresspassing" signs.

http://agebb.missouri.edu/aglaw/aglaw9.htm

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Thu, Nov 11, 2010, at 7:55 PM
  • pardon the typos

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Thu, Nov 11, 2010, at 7:55 PM
  • My friend just bought a bunch of land and is going hunting on it for the first time. He is definately worried there will be people there hunting on it illegally as the land hasn't been used or properly marked for a decade. They put up signs/markers around it but have already seen evidence of trespassing. He is bringing his 9mm with him just incase...

Stories like this don't help

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=220801

-- Posted by futile_rant on Fri, Nov 12, 2010, at 8:24 AM
  • A lot of folks may assume old Joe or whoever still owns the land they have had permission to hunt on for years.

For that reason I can't see the new owner's fear justified to the point of armed action.

We got plenty of armed game wardens eager to help with that by spreading the word of the new owners preference of no hunting allowed.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 12, 2010, at 8:57 AM
  • Old John, the land which was bought by my friend hasn't "legally" been hunted on for a decade. He bought the land about 6 months ago and has put up signs and markings around the land and yet there has still be activity on the land. A month ago he was out there at night with his father and a truck started driving on to the property until they saw my friend and took off.

It happens more often than you think...

-- Posted by futile_rant on Fri, Nov 12, 2010, at 9:08 AM
  • Rick

he jokes that on 120 acres there are plenty of places to hide a body...

I am sure he is climbing into his stand right now, hopefully just him and his family.

-- Posted by futile_rant on Sat, Nov 13, 2010, at 3:17 AM
  • I was watching that show called 'swamp people' about people that live in the bayous of Louisiana. A lot of the hunt alligators during season to pay for their bills. One episode a guy who rented 1000's of acres of land to catch gators constantly had his lines cut and stolen by poachers at night. He said it could break the bank =/

-- Posted by futile_rant on Sat, Nov 13, 2010, at 10:42 AM
  • Spank, None of the links show anything I would give an award for, but the piggy squeal is one I have heard several folks relate to as funny.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Nov 13, 2010, at 11:25 PM
  • Spank- my favorite commercials are the Budweiser ones from the past few years shown at Superbowl, the ones with the clydesdale horses. But my favorite one of them all is the one they did and aired only one time in honor of 9/11.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Sun, Nov 14, 2010, at 9:37 AM
  • -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Nov 14, 2010, at 10:46 AM
  • Regrets,

I tend to forget a commercial 5 minutes after I see it (well a lot of other things too) but I do like that one.

That therapist needs to council some people I know.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Nov 14, 2010, at 10:55 AM
  • -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Nov 14, 2010, at 10:56 AM
  • Two Middle East mothers are sitting in a cafe chatting over a plate of tabouli and a pint of goat's milk.

The older of the two pulls a bag out of her purse and starts flipping through photos. They start reminiscing.

''This is my oldest son, Mujibar. He would have been 24 years old now.''

''Yes, I remember him as a baby'' says the other mother cheerfully.

"He's a martyr now though" the mother confides.

"Oh, so sad dear'' says the other.

''And this is my second son, Khalid. He would have been 21.''

''Oh, I remember him,'' says the other happily, ''he had such curly hair when he was born.''

''He's a martyr too'' says the mother quietly..

''Oh, gracious me .. . . '' says the other.

''And this is my third son. My baby. My beautiful Ahmed.

He would have been 18'', she whispers.

"Yes" says the friend enthusiastically, ''I remember when he first started school''

''He's a martyr also,'' says the mother, with tears in her eyes.

After a pause and a deep sigh, the second Muslim mother looks wistfully at the photographs and, searching for the right words, finally says . . .

"They blow up so fast, don't they?"

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Nov 14, 2010, at 10:59 AM
  • I killed six rats this past week, 4 of which met their end last night. Rat traps can be effective, let no one kid you not.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 14, 2010, at 2:42 PM
  • Voyager, I trapped a mole today. My moles must be smarter than your rats since this is the first one I've caught since spring.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Nov 14, 2010, at 3:09 PM
  • Old John

Do my house next.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Nov 14, 2010, at 4:59 PM
  • Old John, your moles have got to be smarter than this bunch of rats. Killed three last night, two of which met their end at the same time in the same trap. Now that's dumb!

The total now is 9 dead confirmed, and one possible. He tripped the trap, left a bloody mess, but no corpse.

No one else around here has experienced rats. Why only me, O Lord?

Truth is Trig smelled them out and spent a week trying to get dumb ole me to pay attention. The moment I think that's the end of the problem, Trig sniffs out another one.

O Lucky Me!

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Nov 15, 2010, at 9:44 AM
  • Or would you all prefer to talk about something else like politics or religion or whatever?

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Nov 15, 2010, at 9:45 AM
  • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/8284223/Himalayan-gla...

Himalayan Glaciers Not Melting Due To Global Warming, Study Finds.

Half of the glaciers are advancing rather than melting, the scientists have discovered.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jan 28, 2011, at 12:08 PM
  • Could affect Al Gore's lifestyle.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Jan 28, 2011, at 1:27 PM
  • Al Gore. Speaking of rats...

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Jan 28, 2011, at 2:09 PM
  • good one voyager!

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Fri, Jan 28, 2011, at 2:53 PM
  • Sometimes thing go differently. I was in a store and the lady checking out ahead lacked a quarter and said she would leave the stuff and go to the car to get the quarter. I put a quarter on the counter. [didn't want to have to wait or maybe I was too tired to be my usual stingy self] She thanked me and all was well.

I then went to Aldi where it takes a quarter deposit to use a cart. As I got out of the car a young lady asked if I needed a cart. I didn't plan on using a cart but said sure, and she refused the quarter.

I took the cart to the rack and gave it to a lady coming toward me.

I'm a slow shopper even though I gathered only a few items and as I left, I saw the lady give the cart to a man on her way out.

And on top of all that, a baby smiled at me in the next store!

Too bad I forgot where I parked at Walmart or it would have been a perfect day.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jan 28, 2011, at 6:23 PM
  • It is extremely difficult to believe that there still global warming "deniers" left anywhere. Even the article from the British Telegraph which includes the observation that ----

"Half of the glaciers are advancing rather than melting, the scientists have discovered."

It goes on to say that Himalayan glaciers are not all retreating and responding uniformly to global warming because of the nature of the glaciers, not because global warming doesn't exist.

The remainder of the article goes on to say that ----

"Dr Bodo Bookhagen, Dirk Scherler and Manfred Strecker studied 286 glaciers between the Hindu Kush on the Afghan-Pakistan border to Bhutan, taking in six areas.

Their report, published in the journal Nature Geoscience, found the key factor affecting their advance or retreat is the amount of debris -- rocks and mud -- strewn on their surface, not the general nature of climate change.

Glaciers surrounded by high mountains and covered with more than two centimetres of debris are protected from melting.

Debris-covered glaciers are common in the rugged central Himalaya, but they are almost absent in subdued landscapes on the Tibetan Plateau, where retreat rates are higher.

In contrast, more than 50 per cent of observed glaciers in the Karakoram region in the northwestern Himalaya are advancing or stable.

"Our study shows that there is no uniform response of Himalayan glaciers to climate change and highlights the importance of debris cover for understanding glacier retreat, an effect that has so far been neglected in predictions of future water availability or global sea level," the authors concluded."

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Jan 28, 2011, at 6:50 PM
  • Common

It is already a done deal. Gore used you. His net worth jumped from $2 million in 2000 to $100 million in 2008. Now he is working on a billion.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Jan 28, 2011, at 8:26 PM
  • Commonsensematters wrote:

"It is extremely difficult to believe that there still global warming "deniers" left anywhere."

Who denied anything about global warming. This article merely points to another fallacy in the 'consensus' of the IPCC.

However, since you mention it, it is notworthy to point out that there has been no net warming for about fifteen years, despite rising levels of Carbon Dioxide. That, too, does not mesh with the 'consensus' of the Global Warming claimants, or Global Climate Change claimants, as they seem to be calling themselves now.

The point of this link is to show that 'all the science is not in', contrary to the claims of the Global Warming crowd. I don't deny that the climate is changing, but I scarcely think there is a time when it hasn't been. The question is, what will be the consequences of that change. We now have evidence that one of the key claims, that glacier melt will raise sea levels, is probably not so dire as they claim, if indeed it will happen at all.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jan 28, 2011, at 8:37 PM
  • I'm fascinated at the tenacity by which those who support Global Warming hang onto every facet of the issue. If someone posts something that contradicts a single claim of the IPCC, they fly off the cuff and begin calling them 'deniers', or worse.

Nearly everyone can diagnose a flat tyre, but that doesn't mean they know what caused it or how to fix it.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jan 28, 2011, at 8:49 PM
  • I'm fascinated at the tenacity by which those who (deny) Global Warming hang onto every facet of the issue. If someone posts something that (supports) a single claim of the IPCC, they fly off the cuff and begin calling them ('claimants'), or worse.

Look familiar? The point of the posting seemed to be to question global warming by citing a link appears to cast doubt on it, but then goes on to make plain that Himalayan glaciers are largely unaffected by global warming.

As you pointed out, "the climate is changing," and warming is taking place, as clearly revealed by temperature records. What is less clear is why a vocal minority is so adamantly attempting to discredit the trend. The only possibility that comes to mind is that some are upset that Al Gore is earning money in good capitalistic fashion, and seems to be making enough that he'll be a Republican soon.

I don't think that "glacier melt will raise sea levels" either, as long as you are referring to mountain glaciers. Melting of sea ice is also not a problem (except for polar bears), although it is a strong indicator of global warming. The real problem with respect to sea level rise is the melting of Greenland and Antarctic ice caps. And keep in mind, when sea levels rose centuries ago, the dislocation of people was not an issue, now it is.

There is also a human element to global warming, and the bottom line is simply if something can be done to limit that, it should be done.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"...that doesn't mean they know what caused it or how to fix it."

You must not have had a bike when a kid, otherwise you'd have learned quickly how to take the tire off, remove the nail or tack (the cause), glue a patch on the tube (the fix), put it back together, pump it up and ride off. Granted it's not as simple with an automobile tire, but the principle the same.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Jan 28, 2011, at 10:05 PM
  • Regardless of whether there is a human cause factor, I don't think the amount of disruption in affecting a cure is worth the cost.

Most people will choose "greener" ways and products if it means more green in the pocket book.

Government forcing folks to conform to global warming extremism only makes a lot of Americans resentful and less likely to consider more earth friendly ways.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jan 29, 2011, at 10:22 AM
  • Rick,

Don't know who will replace Obama, but I do think if the people of Chicago are dumb enough to elect a kinky politician like Rham E-man-u-el... well they deserve him, that is all I can say.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jan 29, 2011, at 10:42 AM
  • Wheels, Almost your kind of weather here today, at least for a two or three hours. 54 now.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jan 29, 2011, at 12:24 PM
  • Old John,

Thermometer says 63 degrees right now. Good to see Missouri is thawing out.

Rick,

Me too, but I don't know what to do about it. Chicago has had a reputation for electing crooks for more years than I can remember.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jan 29, 2011, at 1:02 PM
  • commonsensematters wrote:

"You must not have had a bike when a kid, otherwise you'd have learned quickly how to take the tire off, remove the nail or tack (the cause), glue a patch on the tube (the fix), put it back together, pump it up and ride off. Granted it's not as simple with an automobile tire, but the principle the same."

I did indeed have a bicycle when I was kid. And I did, indeed, sometimes go to the trouble of removing the tyre from the rim, removing the innertube and soaking it in a tub of water, only to find that it was just a dirty valve stem, which could have been fixed without all the trouble. Sometimes I even found out that someone let the air out in order to fool me into thinking there was a nail or tack, and that all it needed was a shot of air.

I also noticed that the tyres sometimes leaked down on their own, sans nails or tacks, and that all they needed was a little air.

As I said...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sat, Jan 29, 2011, at 3:12 PM
  • Rick,

The Green Bay Packers Are Good For America

Every Red Blooded American should jump in line to support the Green Bay Packers! The Packers defeated the Chicago Bears on Sunday afternoon thus earning them the opportunity to go to the Super Bowl. By doing so, they saved the Hard-Working, Red Blooded, Taxpaying Americans literally several million dollars of tax money. How you say? Simple... we were told that if the Chicago Bears had won that President Obama (and probably his family) would be attending the Super Bowl to cheer on his hometown team. Since the Bears lost...the President won't be attending. The money saved from not using Air Force 1, the limosines, all the additional security, and let's not forget Michelle Obama's entourage, is literally several million dollars! Therefore every American should cheer on the Green Bay Packers at the Super Bowl to show them our gratitude.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jan 29, 2011, at 11:28 PM
  • With so many focussed on the game, he may go to Chicago to help Emanuel campaign. All his close neighbors, Bill Ayers and his more recent community organizer friends could have a reunion to talk union vote strategy.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jan 29, 2011, at 11:50 PM
  • I have been thinking about filing a Freedom of Information Act request with the FBI to see if I am on any "watch lists". Think this will work, or simply annoy the FBI possibly landing me on a "watch list" that I may or may not have been on before?

-- Posted by Lumpy on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 9:48 AM
  • Never thought about that wheels. Good point.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 10:11 AM
  • I read recently of a dizzy busy that reported a suspicious man on a Walmart parking lot that may be holding a gun.

They locked down the store and called for the heavy guns. A local policeman made contact with the man to find him talking on his cell phone, no gun, no threat.

This morning I hear a congressman blowing about a bill he plans to introduce to hold no harm [immunity to lawsuit] against anyone that follows the "see something say something" government call to patriotism.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 10:40 AM
  • Rick, After Cairo is all burned away there would be room to rebuild it into a city deserving to host the olympics.

Think of the jobs and happy Obama voters that would create. Emanuel could claim residency and be mayor.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 11:07 AM
  • Rick, In that case Obama can be mayor.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 11:18 AM
  • Do you think everyone in Walmart parking lot is responsible enough to brandish a weapon?

-- Posted by Theorist on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 2:30 PM

Huh?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 3:42 PM
  • Double standard, double standard!

-- Posted by Theorist on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 2:30 PM

So when some wannabe lawman starts calling in anybody that HE/SHE thinks might be packing it is OK? So it is OK for you to be surrounded, made to hold your hands up, and be searched in front of the public. It would be for the better good. Right? In that case I think you have one in your purse.

Wheels

Going to Daytona for the next few days. The wife is already saying to come home. Yea Right.....

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 4:22 PM
  • "see something say something" government call to patriotism.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 10:40 AM

Is that something like "Be a good Nazi" and they will reward you?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 4:27 PM
  • Regrets,

It might surprise Theorist how many weapons, legally carried, there are on a Walmart parking lot on any given day.

Wonder why anyone thinks it is ok to finger someone just because they pull their hand out of their pocket with a cell phone, or a hand full of keys. Maybe gun phobea nuts should just stay home where they are safe.... maybe.

Regrets.... come home?????

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 4:46 PM
  • Spank

I have been watching the weather there. I hope it doesn't get too bad because she wont let me do this again.

Wheels.

You could really cause people you don't like problems. The guys that have the NRA stickers on their trucks will be pulled over every time some anti gunner sees one.

Why is the government and the left so scared?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 6:03 PM
  • Regrets,

They have a phobea.

The government wants us to fear them.

The far left wackos don't want guns, so they don't want the rest (majority) of us to have them either.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 7:21 PM
  • When Carter was in office people were leery of the gov.

Then Regan came in, things mellowed out and people weren't so bad.

Clinton came in and there we go again with the jackboot thugs hitting Koresh and Ruby Ridge.

GW comes in and thing mellowed out again other that the Muslim terrorists.

Now we have Obama and people are leery again.

This is a historical observation that seems to add up.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 7:37 PM
  • Theorist, With cell phones so common, what mindset does it take to assume someone has a gun to their ear. It's not a hard story to find. Try Kirkwood Missouri Walmart lock down or something of the sort.

What does home intrusion have to do with anything I commented on?

Caddie, Not if the 2012 presidential race goes like your last big political prediction.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 11:02 PM
  • Old John,

I suppose it would arouse suspicion if I was to take off my shoe to answer the phone the way Maxwell Smart did on TV about 35 years ago. Get Smart, I believe was the name of the show.

Were you in Kirksville on Friday?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 11:23 PM
  • Wheels, Only a few years ago, [I know it was after the Trade Towers attack], A friend of mine left right after work to board a plane to meet his family for a reunion. He forgot all about the 4 inch lockblade knife he always carried in a sheaf attatched to his belt and no one seemed to notice it or say anything. When he was boarding the plane he realized he had the knife on his belt and promptly slipped it into his carry on bag.

As he was leaving the plane a flight attendent asked where's your knife? He told her and she said she just wanted to make sure he hadn't lost it on the plane.

The Kirkwood article did not give any decription of the cell phone holder.

Maybe Theorist is saying the dizzy busy did some profiling of her own and is defending profiling.:)

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 11:49 PM
  • Theorist, Just saying one ain't got no reason to interpret holding a cell phone as appearing to be holding a gun unless one is evaluating the over all jestures, demeanor and nature of the subject to be out of the norm of peaceful attendance, kinda like some profiling.

About the intruder, Would I ask what first?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 10:45 AM
  • Guys profiling is ok... if it involves someone the far left libs do not approve of.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 11:25 AM
  • It is OK to profile a guy country boy but not gangsters. Isn't that convenient.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 2:36 PM
  • Wheels, concerning your statement about guns. I don't like guns, don't want guns, and don't want guns around me.

BUT

I think others should have and keep guns if they want. I just ask that they don't point them at me.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 2:48 PM
  • I attended a gun show in Paducah a couple of years ago. It is held in a shopping center (the old one off 62, not the Kentucky Oaks Mall). People were walking all around the center carrying firearms, and no one seemed to bat an eye. A different attitude, I suppose.

Given that Wal-Mart sells firearms, I wouldn't expect seeing a firearm in the parking lot to raise that much attention, anymore than I would be surprised to see a knife in the parking lot of a knife store or sword in the parking lot of a sword store. I would likely size up the person holding it before exiting my vehicle, but It wouldn't scare me unless he/she was 'brandishing' it in a threatening manner. I guess people are funny when it comes to guns, though.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 3:37 PM
  • Wheels, I went back and visited the article and watched the TV coverage of the Walmart event. For some reason I wrote Kirkwood and did not recognize your polite correction.

Anyway, it was determined no crime had occurred and the man in custody was released. Someone reported that the man appeared agitated in his phone conversation and naturally assumed the object he was talking on was a gun.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 5:00 PM
  • the man appeared agitated in his phone conversation and naturally assumed the object he was talking on was a gun.

That is the way the anti gunners would see it. In all my days I have never seen anytone holding a gun in their ear.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 5:41 PM
  • Speaking of 'going green' ... Thought this was funny: a town in WA recently banned plastic shopping bags ... I suppose due to their longevity in landfills.

But remember when they were praised because of all the trees that would be saved from being made into paper bags? Oddly enough, though ... no one has even suggested that plastic bottles and jugs, or plastic trash bags (replaced in part by people using grocery bags for trash?), or plastic-enveloped diapers, etc., be banned. How my odd mind works ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 8:02 PM
  • Therein may lie part of the problem, Rick ... we do tend to put our presidents on a pedestal (especially if they're the ones we voted for) ... Hard for some to realize and to believe that they are human, with all the faults and flaws of humans.

Worse than that, though ... some of our presidents (and other elected officials) do tend to start subconsciously believing that they are more important, more intelligent, more all-knowing, more 'special,' than the rest of us.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 10:00 PM
  • Gurus, I still like a good paper bag. I remember reading an article called trash tribulation in the late '60s that predicted what you say.

Fortunately [maybe] we have new technology to deal with the trash, but the better way would be not to create so much.

Caddie, Obama is not nearly as special as you.

He needs folks like you to serve the tea.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 10:07 PM
  • Wheels, concerning your statement about guns. I don't like guns, don't want guns, and don't want guns around me.

BUT

I think others should have and keep guns if they want. I just ask that they don't point them at me.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 2:48 PM

But Voyager, they are such a comfort under your pillow, where you can kind of pat them should you hear somebody rattling your door.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 10:59 PM
  • Anyway, it was determined no crime had occurred and the man in custody was released. Someone reported that the man appeared agitated in his phone conversation and naturally assumed the object he was talking on was a gun.

Old John, I knew what you meant, was just suggesting maybe that was you they apprehended and that you were trying to steer us over to Kirkwood so we wouldn't notice. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

You know getting agitated on the phone is hardly a crime. I have been known to do it a time or two myself.... especially if I had a certified idiot on the other end of the conversation.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 11:04 PM
  • Oh but he is rick, oh but he is....and you can't stand it or either too stupid to know it...But everybody else knew it a long time ago. Stop hatin and get over it man!

-- Posted by cadillacman on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 8:55 PM

Uhhhhhh, not "everybody else" Caddy!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 11:08 PM
  • "we do tend to put our presidents on a pedestal (especially if they're the ones we voted for)"

I didn't vote for him Mom. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 11:10 PM
  • "old j

he needs folks like you too who just keep stirrin up s$#$#"

Old John,

Me thinks you have hit Caddy's hot button. And that would be something BHO would be better suited for. He sure as hell is not Presidential material.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 11:15 PM
  • We were discussing that the other night, Old J. ... how very little trash we generated in the past. I know it was a pain, but we miss the days when we returned soda pop and milk bottles ... There was even a corner grocery store in my youth where we took back our brown paper bags for a penny per dozen.

I save newspapers as mulch for garden and flower beds, recycle aluminum cans, and use 'market bags' when I shop. But there just seems to be so much more trash that I don't know what to do with ...

In the IL city we lived, recycling was a big thing ... for a while. Every week we set out the tubs; for aluminum, glass, paper ... but the recyling center was costing too much, so the program went by the wayside. Must mention: the recycled stationary that the center sold was the absolute best ... but with the decline of 'mailed letters,' that effort wasn't financially viable, either.

Gosh! Surprised me ... maybe I haven't been paying enough attention, because I hadn't noticed you "... stirrin up s$#$# ... always whinning about something." I'd have to say, though, that a lot of 'whinning' might be an indication that ... well, that perhaps someone might be doing something wrong to generate so much whining?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 11:22 PM
  • "we do tend to put our presidents on a pedestal (especially if they're the ones we voted for)"

I didn't vote for him Mom. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

You're just too funny, Wheels ... Oddly enough, and as you well know ... I voted for Obama ... but I certainly never put him on a pedestal ... nor any of the others for whom I voted. My vote didn't strike me dumb, or make me a blind follower, after the election (although one might suspect I was dumb before it ... and me not normally a gullible person to boot).

Still ... seems like many actually do that ... which seems really strange to me ... like their mindset is, 'I voted for him and there's no way I'll admit now that he wasn't a good choice' (among no other good choice, I might add).

Does that perhaps indicate a person who feels inferior in any way to ... well, to someone who manages by various means to get elected to 'higher office'?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 11:36 PM
  • Mom and Rick

You did give him a chance. I just saw the writing on the wall way before the election. I admitted he would win 6 months before the e election. When I said it Sue Lynn was busting with happiness.

I saw the election as a death nail for businesses and employment and I was right. He did exactly what I though he would. I have a friend in the operators union that voted for him but now says he should have listen to me. He will retire 3 years later now.

It's almost 1AM. Time to go to bed. Glad you guys didn't get ice. Coming home later this week or early next week. This has been good for me.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 11:50 PM
  • Although I'm envious, Regret ... so very glad you took that little vacation!

I admit it: The rhetoric (which obviously is just what it was) that there would be bipartisanship, that we'd bring our troops home from an unwinnable 'war,' that people who used race as excuses for their behavior and/or lifestyles would be eliminated, that our federal government would be decreased (line item by line item, department by department, if I recall one of the speeches/promises) ... and yes, even that people who honestly couldn't afford health insurance would get necessary health care ... Guess I just wanted those things so badly before I died.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Tue, Feb 1, 2011, at 12:15 AM
  • "While preachers preach of evil fates

Teachers teach that knowledge waits

Can lead to hundred-dollar plates

Goodness hides behind its gates

But even the president of the United States

Sometimes must have to stand naked"

- Bob Dylan - "It's All Right Ma. (I'm Only Bleedin')"

Presidents are human, too. Some make themselves into something special by doing great things, some by being President when great things happen. Thus far, no great things have occurred on this one's watch.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Feb 1, 2011, at 7:51 AM

Respond to this thread