Speak Out: Sarah Palin's Alaska.

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Nov 15, 2010, at 7:45 AM:

I didn't see anything political other than the guy next door that's writing the book. CBS was wromg again.

Replies (122)

• For once Ike aka Spaniard may have accidentally stumbled upon an idea through no fault of his own or real effort upon his part.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Nov 15, 2010, at 9:27 AM
  • It was interesting. I thought it was going to be a PR thing also. I didn't realize they are really regular people.

I just wish I had a fishing hole like they went to.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Nov 15, 2010, at 3:34 PM
  • It's better than the book that could have been, Sarah Palin's America. As troublesome as things are now, I think we still dodged a huge bullet on that one.

-- Posted by almighty on Mon, Nov 15, 2010, at 4:06 PM
  • I haven't watched it yet as I was hunting; looking forward to it though.

-- Posted by Acronym on Mon, Nov 15, 2010, at 4:33 PM
  • Can't wait to see Alaska through her eyes.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Mon, Nov 15, 2010, at 5:45 PM
  • Dodged a bullet?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Nov 15, 2010, at 6:28 PM
  • Are we watching the same show? I find it weird that you people find anything redeeming about that program. Of course, you could put cameras in Charlie Manson's cell, and have him followed around prison, and you could probably cut together a show that shows how sane he is. It's called editing.

Palin's only getting more power from this.

-- Posted by sleepsoldier on Mon, Nov 15, 2010, at 11:00 PM
  • I thought the show was interesting and family friendly and even a bit educational. That is so much more than can be said for most of the shows on TV.

But, hey, everyone has a remote - just change to another channel like MTV if you don't like it.

-- Posted by ParkerDaws on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 6:41 AM
  • OK, I watched it last night. It was not particularly interesting.

Alaska is a very interesting and beautiful state.

-- Posted by Acronym on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 6:44 AM
  • I would rather have a root canal then watch that show!!

-- Posted by rlivingston on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 8:55 AM
  • ugh another reality show? I didn't always mind them, but they seem to be staged increasingly often. You can't take a "reality" person and expect them to act and it not be noticable...

-- Posted by futile_rant on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 9:30 AM
  • Futile did you whatch it? As a natter of fact how many of the posters watched it?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 9:51 AM
  • I watched it and did not find it particularly interesting. I have no problem with Sarah Palin or Alaska, I just found it a bit slow. I may record it again to see if it is better later on.

Some are just anti Palin no matter what she or her family does, so I don't pay much attention to them.

-- Posted by Acronym on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 10:28 AM
  • Missed the show. Forgot about it. Was occupied with rat killing.

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 10:42 AM
  • We Regret,

no I did not... I was just saying I pretty much gave up on reality shows all together.

-- Posted by futile_rant on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 10:49 AM
  • It was pretty good. I never watch them either but I was interested in what was being said about it. Heck it worked because we are looking at a vacation there next summer. Just don't want to do winter there. I just want to fish where they fished.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 11:28 AM
  • I read one of the ATV forums and they have some really nice places to hunt, fish and ride ATV/ORV etc. Unless you see it in person, I don't think you can appreciate the enormity of the place and the different mindset of the people who choose to live there.

-- Posted by Acronym on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 11:40 AM
  • It is easy to see that she is being "groomed" for politics. The republican party is trying to make her popular and well liked. They can edit and make her appear intelligent. They want another figure head, 'Reganesque'

-- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 12:18 PM
  • I did not have a chance to watch but 5 million others did setting a record for the network.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 12:25 PM
  • Reasoning wrote:

"They can edit and make her appear intelligent."

Which is considerably more than the Democrats have been able to with poor Mr. Biden...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 12:26 PM
  • Mr. Biden is not the President.

I certainly do not want a figure head, a bobble head to do whatever they are told by "the party". This is what we need to steer clear of for sure!

Perhaps mr. Shapley is happy just to follow along.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 12:30 PM
  • I certainly do not want a figure head, a bobble head to do whatever they are told by "the party". This is what we need to steer clear of for sure!

-- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 12:30 PM

How is she a figurehead?

BTW

http://www.indyposted.com/127105/sarah-palins-refudiate-named-word-of-the-year/

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 12:34 PM
  • She does not do well on her own, she proved this over and over. She only comes across well when she is saying what she has been prepped to deliver. She cannot answer questions extemporaneously.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 1:17 PM
  • Reasoning wrote:

"Mr. Biden is not the President."

Neither is Ms. Palin. What's your point?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 1:54 PM
  • She does not do well on her own, she proved this over and over. She only comes across well when she is saying what she has been prepped to deliver. She cannot answer questions extemporaneously.

Are you saying, all she needs is a teleprompter to be President?

That ought not be too difficult to fix!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 2:18 PM
  • She's as qualified as the current occupant of the White House.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 4:25 PM
  • To describe her as an idiot only demonstrates your own flaws. It would be interesting to compare accomplishments or lack thereof.

-- Posted by Acronym on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 4:34 PM
  • She certainly is constitutionally qualified but she is intellectually empty. Every woman newscaster on TV is adeptly much more intelligent and has a grasp on what is going on in the world. i don't care how much you like or dislike her, you cannot justifiably argue her intelligence. She has none. She won't talk to anyone but Fox. She keeps hammering the MSM and they are the ones who can ultimately make or break someone.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 4:34 PM
  • Sarah Palin has spoken to CBS, ABC, Oprah, Fox, CNN, and various other news sources. They aren't clamouring for an interview right now because she isn't running for anything.

Mr. Obama refused to talk to Fox, bashed Fox, and ordered his staff not to talk to Fox so, once again, it seems that what's good for the goose ought to be good for the gander.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 4:42 PM
  • PDS is apparently a chronic condition which eludes all cure. Like Lyme disease, it appears to be progressive with neurological implications.

-- Posted by Acronym on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 5:17 PM
  • Ike,

You always call her the quita from wasilla. What is your pet name for Rahm Emmaunel? He quit his job mid term? He didnt even have another job lined up where Sarah did. She quit her job for a better paying job so get over it. I'm sure you've never done the same thing.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 5:38 PM
  • She does not do well on her own, she proved this over and over.

Tell me how many times and what she said.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 5:49 PM
  • Because she's an idiot. Polling shows that even a majority of republicans do not think she is qualified to be president. Along with the results of the 2008 election, I think it's pretty clear how most americans feel about the quitta from wasilla.

-- Posted by Spaniard on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 4:17 PM

And this coming from a nobody that never accomplished anything.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 5:52 PM
  • She certainly is constitutionally qualified but she is intellectually empty.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 4:34 PM

How so?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 5:53 PM
  • This is the reason she quit......

"Contrary to most reports, her decision had been in the works for months, accelerating recently as it became clear that controversies and endless ethics investigations were threatening to overshadow her legislative agenda. "Attacks inside Alaska and largely invisible to the national media had paralyzed her administration," someone close to the governor told me. "She was fully aware she would be branded a 'quitter.' She did not want to disappoint her constituents, but she was no longer able to do the job she had been elected to do. Essentially, the taxpayers were paying for Sarah to go to work every day and defend herself."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124700261179807839.html

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 6:00 PM
  • That's garbage.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 7:06 PM
  • I find it more credible than the explanations Common gave a while back as a reason for Obamas 57 state remark... and it did come from a reputable news source vs a right or left wing blog.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 7:17 PM
  • If someone paid me 1.5 million per episode - I'd show them all they wanted of Missouri. Course we can't see Russia from our back yard.

-- Posted by suefrommo on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 7:20 PM
  • If someone paid me 1.5 million per episode - I'd show them all they wanted of Missouri. Course we can't see Russia from our back yard.

sue from wherever,

You still trying to attribute that "I can see Russia from my back yard" statement to Palin? You may be dumber than the libs blame Palin being.

That sentence was coined by a commedian, on Saturday Night Live, I believe.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 7:32 PM
  • That's garbage.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 7:06 PM

Show me different that is reliable.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 7:53 PM
  • Very true - here is the actual interview -

GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of this state give you?

PALIN: They're our next door neighbors. And you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska.

Like I said, If someone wanted to pay me $1.5 million per episode, I'd show them all they wanted to see of Missouri.

-- Posted by suefrommo on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 7:54 PM
  • Course we can't see Russia from our back yard.

Unless Saturday Night Live says it.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 7:55 PM
  • PALIN: They're our next door neighbors. And you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska.

-- Posted by suefrommo on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 7:54 PM

You can see Russia from land in Alaska.

SNL's Tina Fey said "from her backyard" and the left really believes Palin said that.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 7:59 PM
  • We Regret,

"All of 'em, any of 'em that have been in front of me over all these years." --Sarah Palin, unable to name a single newspaper or magazine she reads, interview with Katie Couric, CBS News, Oct. 1, 2008

"I told the Congress, 'Thanks, but no thanks,' on that Bridge to Nowhere." --Sarah Palin, who was for the Bridge to Nowhere before she was against it.

"Well, let's see. There's -- of course -- in the great history of America rulings there have been rulings." --Sarah Palin, unable to name a Supreme Court decision she disagreed with other than Roe vs. Wade, interview with Katie Couric, CBS News, Oct. 1, 2008

-- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 8:55 PM
  • And just what business have you ever run, and run successfully, Ike aka Spaniard?

A lemonade stand?

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 10:48 PM
  • I am not insecure enough to brag about my educational or professional achievements on these threads...

-- Posted by Spaniard on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 9:34 PM

Apparently not.

-- Posted by Acronym on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 5:59 AM
  • I won't watch it, but I think it will be an interesting show. Alaska is a beautiful country.

But what I don't get it is all the conservative support for her. The same people who criticized Obama for being a media hound are very supportive of this show.

The obvious double standard is laughable.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 8:08 AM
  • Why people get so obsessed with this woman is beyond me. 1) Quitter? she left her job for a much higher paying job in the private sector, who wouldn't do that? Pres Obama did that. 2) Her new found financial gains allow her husband to be at home and not spend months a year away from family in the oil fields and they smile every time they go to the bank. If you don't like her, don't watch the show or fox, where she is on regularly. 3) Qualifications? most high profile politicians have proven to be crooked, self centered, and unethical--maybe there is a point there.

-- Posted by whitey11 on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 8:13 AM
  • I don't compare the actions of a private citizen with those of the president of the United States.

If Sarah Palin ever runs for office I will evaluate her in that role.

-- Posted by Acronym on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 8:20 AM
  • If I don't want to watch a show on tv, I simply don't watch it. I find it absolutely hilarious that so many people are bothered by her show. It makes no sense. I wonder what shows they actually DO watch? I for one, did watch the show and thought it was great. Beautiful scenery and images of a family that genuinely appears to be NORMAL. Shocking! Where else can you find that on TV? Not on any other reality show, that's for sure!

-- Posted by sillymom on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 9:00 AM
  • I watch so little TV that I do not even know what show everybody is so torqued up about.

I attribute most of the Anti Palin rhetoric to envy, nothing more, nothing less.

Is she really hurting any of you people with the green cast?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 9:06 AM
  • -- Posted by Acronym on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 8:20 AM

So Palin is not a politician?

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 9:14 AM
  • Oh the Katie Couric interview CBS edited to make her look bad. Can we say Dan Rather?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 9:30 AM
  • I'm curious that so many are concerned with her supposed lack of intellect, given that they dance around the fact that the second and third in line for the Presidency have been Mr. Biden and Ms. Pelosi for the past two years. Neither of them appears to be a Braniac, IMHO.

I'm not saying I'd vote for Sarah if she ran (it would depend on who else was on the ticket), but I can assure you the idea of a President Palin is less frightening to me than a President Biden or a President Pelosi.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 9:41 AM
  • I'm curious that so many are concerned with her supposed lack of intellect, given that they dance around the fact that the second and third in line for the Presidency have been Mr. Biden and Ms. Pelosi for the past two years. Neither of them appears to be a Braniac, IMHO.

I'm not saying I'd vote for Sarah if she ran (it would depend on who else was on the ticket), but I can assure you the idea of a President Palin is less frightening to me than a President Biden or a President Pelosi.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 9:41 AM

Good points.

Here something else. Bush was portrayed as an idiot. And there may be some truth to that. But the problem with his administration wasn't him, but rather the more intelligent people of his cabinet.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 9:50 AM
  • It was famously said by someone that they would rather the governed by the top hundred names in the phone book than by the top hundred graduates from Harvard....

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 10:02 AM
  • Just because she's entertaining does not mean she can govern, and I mean that term to be used in a broad sense. However, even in a narrow sense, she grew tired of her job and quit!!! Many of you many not be all that happy with our current president, but just imagine what would happen if he quit. And, don't start with all the "we would get to abandon Obamacare, etc." I mean it! You cannot grow tired of an important position and just stop doing it. That shows a real sign of not only immaturity but egotistic thinking. She's entertainment pure and simple, and I do mean simple in a literal way.

-- Posted by sayswho? on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 10:07 AM
  • The left and left media come on so heavy against her because she is good. She is certainly not a bubbling politician.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Palin-Congress-freshmen-teaparty/2010/11/15/i...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/12/kathleen-parker-i-led-med_n_782751.html

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 10:09 AM
  • sayswho? wrote:

"Many of you many not be all that happy with our current president, but just imagine what would happen if he quit."

He quit his Senate seat, and you don't seem to fault him for that...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 10:14 AM
  • Ok, folks, the summary is simple. Conservatives like her, Liberals don't like her. Some don't give a yamn one way or the other.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 10:46 AM
  • As usual Ike resorts to calling people names when he's lost. It sure does tone down your educational and professional achievements.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 10:58 AM
  • Just to help you out Ike here are your words because I'm sure you'll say, "prove it."

Proof? Stick to whining about how rough your life is because you work and pay taxes. Crybaby

Famously said by a mouth-breather who rejected knowledge I might add.

Because she's an idiot.

I think it's pretty clear how most americans feel about the quitta from wasilla.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 11:04 AM
  • Spaniard wrote:

"Famously said by a mouth-breather who rejected knowledge I might add..."

I've not heard Mr. William Buckley referred to in that manner before, but I'm sure you know him better than most Americans.

The quote was from him, although I had the numbers wrong.

The actual quote was:

"I am obliged to confess I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University."

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 11:18 AM
  • I really thought it was pretty cut and dry but I'll try and explain it better. Lost as in you have lost your way. Or you have no direction. Hopefully that makes it a little easier for you to understand.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 12:12 PM
  • "A mouth-breather who rejected knowledge..."

A very curious choice of words to describe Mr. William Buckley, indeed. Tell me, Spaniard, if Mr. Buckley is those things, who do you see as measuring up to your intellectual standards? There can surely be few nose-breathers if someone of Mr. Buckley's background can't be counted amongst their membership.

Methinks I'm already seeing the type of mentality to which Mr. Buckley was referring. It must be lonely so high up there in that ivory tower of yours.

"Mouth-Breathers"... I seem to recall you using the term "knuckle-draggers" a while back, as well, not to mention "fool" and "idiot".

"You cannot build yourself up by tearing others down."

You should be careful bandying about such terms. I remember having an online discussion once with someone who derided Dan Quayle as an idiot because he couldn't spell 'potato'. Unfortanately for him, he mispelled 'idiot'.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 12:53 PM
  • May I add Liar to Ike's laundry list of names he likes to call people?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 1:36 PM
  • Also, Mowrangler and Shapley.... you guys would find more mental satisfaction in arguing with a Newground Stump.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 1:38 PM
  • Spaniard wrote:

"Buckley's resentment of Harvard is understandable given he was a Yale man."

So, are all Yale men mouth-breathers who reject knowledge?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 1:51 PM
  • Spaniard wrote:

"No just Bush Jr."

Now I'm puzzled. Is this some sort of non-admission admission that Mr. Buckley is not a mouth-breather who rejects knowledge?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 2:09 PM
  • I remember a cat we once had back on the farm. He would catch a mouse and then lay on the floor and hold it down by it's tail while he played with it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 2:13 PM
  • Spaniard,

Thank you for (finally) acknowledging, more or less, that your summation of the originator of the statement was in error.

Pulling teeth would be easier, but I finally did obtain that for which I was digging.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 2:19 PM
  • Proof? Stick to whining about how rough your life is because you work and pay taxes. Crybaby.

-- Posted by Spaniard on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 10:51 AM

Better than beig a bottom feeder.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 3:17 PM
  • Wiffle tells lies about me so I call him a liar. Why is that so controversial?

-- Posted by Spaniard on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 1:43 PM

I know ya.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 3:23 PM
  • Just taking cheap shots, but is this show anymore fake/rigged than Dancing with the stars? I hear Bristol made it to the finals even though she scored the lowest several rounds. Good ole Faux.

-- Posted by futile_rant on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 3:53 PM
  • So what?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 3:58 PM
  • The Democratic party should build a shrine to Sarah Palin.

She binds them together in their hour of discontent. With all of the whining, b****ing and complaining to and about one another since they have fallen into disfavor, who do most of them hate in common. Why it's Sarah Palin!

Perhaps they could replace that silly jackazz they have been bowing to for so many years with a bust of Sarah Palin. I think we could all agree that she is much more attractive than the jackazz.

Of course being the jackazzes too many of them are, they will probably not agree with me.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 4:33 PM
  • What is funny is the ones that call her stupid are really envious of her. Just green eyed jealousy. The girl is smart. I would like to see some of the knot heats on here debate her.

Her husband is basically her best friend and partner and their family is close. I guess that is why they hate them because the do have a life. She does her live news feeds from their garage and her husband has learned how to handle the cameras.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 6:02 PM
  • Spanyard

I am not for the same reason.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 6:18 PM
  • "Henry Waxman" Now there's a nose-breather!

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 6:31 PM
  • quiter,loser,low i.q. who would wanna watch a show with her? you could put a chimp in alaska and have something to talk about. much less a whole group. she couldn't discuss any problem in the world if someone didn't tell her the answer before hand. she isn't gonna run for anything because she knows she can't debate and her 15 minutes will be up. she isn't qualified. she is riding this out for the moo-lah. wake up dummies.

-- Posted by workingdude on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 6:38 PM
  • That my friends was from the left.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 6:52 PM
  • Here is one of the liberals that hate her. Typical Democrat.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ODD_PALIN_RAGE?SITE=MOCAP&SECTION=HOME...

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Nov 21, 2010, at 8:17 PM
  • Probably Bush's fault.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Nov 21, 2010, at 11:18 PM
  • I was not familiar with the term 'mouth-breather', so I had to Google it (even though I understood the concept).

I found that it has seemingly found recent popularity among left-leaning bloggers, who usually associate it with lack of education and/or intelligence. Curiously, it actually refers to common medical condition. Just as in the case of Al Gore's famous 'extra-chromosome right wing' comment, it shows a lack of compassion on the part of the 'compassionate' left. More of the 'do as we say, not as we do' hypocrisy of the left, in my humble opinion.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 8:31 AM
  • So Theorist how do you know where her daughter got pregnant? Were you there? Do you control everything your kids do? Your Palin Derangement Syndrome is flaring up again.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 8:55 AM
  • Theorist wrote:

"Why Sarah herself preached abstinence while ignoring her daughter and boyfriend in her own home. Hmmmmm...."

I don't understand how this is hypocrisy. Preaching abstinence is a worthy goal, even if not everyone practices it. Abstinence prevents pregnancy every time it is tried - which is a better track record than any other birht-control method. It prevents Sexually-transmitted diseases much more effectively than condoms or other preventative measures.

You seem to suggest that anyone who advocates condom usage but gets pregnant or contracts an STD is a hyprocite, is that correct?

Just because many, including those in ones' own household, ignore the message does not make the message invalid? We've been preaching against smoking and drug usage for years, yet we still have smokers and drug users among us - does that mean we should stop preaching against them?

I fail to grasp the meaning of your message. Are you saying Sarah Palin told her daughter to have unprotected, premarital sex while preaching against it (which would be hypocritical), or are you saying that here daughter did not listen to her (which would not). I hardly think Bristol Palin is the first daughter to ignore her mother's advice...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 9:29 AM
  • Spaniard,

What would you propose? That she throw her daughter out in the cold (literally, given that we're talking Alaska)?

Many parents find themselves facing rebellious children that end up embracing lifestyles different than that which we try to instill in them. Do we abandon our efforts because of it? Do we abandon our childern because of it? Or do we continue to preach, even though they be sinners, in the hopes that they will, eventually, turn from the wrong path?

I remember in my younger days that preachers used to come down the river, and set up their revival tent in the park. There was a sign near the entrance that read 'Sinners Welcome'. Now, one might find it to be hypocrisy that these preachers were filling their tent with sinners, but methinks that you'll have a very empty tent indeed if you only limit your attendance to non-sinners.

Now, I'll grant you, the preachers fully hoped that those that entered a sinners would leave as saints, but I'm sure they expected that the ratio of sinners to saints would not change too drastically in the course of any single revival. They were content to sow the seeds of salvation widely, and let it take root where it would, fully aware that many seeds will never reach fruition.

Do secular educators do any less?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 10:36 AM
  • Shapley is 100% correct.

Furthermore I would add that the basic principal of Christianity is forgiveness. The only way Sarah Palin would be a hypocrite is if she turned her back on her daughter. You also forget that the two teens were engaged at the time.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 10:42 AM
  • Been away from civilization for several days only to find PDS is still raging.

-- Posted by Acronym on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 11:19 AM
  • Theorist wrote:

"Are you saying Sarah wasn't smart enough to realize what happens behind closed doors?"

No. Quod Scripsi, Scripsi. I know you're looking for something, anything, to support your 'hypocrisy' claim, or at least to make Sarah Palin look bad, but you ain't finding it there.

She was told to practice abstinence. She didn't. She got pregnant (a common side-effect caused by failing to practice abstinence).

If you're looking for hypocrisy, you might want to look at the folks on the left, who have detailed the entire sordid affair, with photos, while proclaiming that Republicans are terrible for wanting to monitor what happens in people bedrooms. Now, that strikes me as hypocritical!

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 12:08 PM
  • A hypocrite railing against hypocrisy is well, oh what's the word I am looking for. (Laughing)

-- Posted by Acronym on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 12:52 PM
  • ...we are all hypocrits, but we do not all stand up on national TV and point it out.

-- Posted by Theorist on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 1:17 PM

Do you stand in front of the camera.....ever?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 1:33 PM
  • I reject that all people are hypocrites; many or maybe even most but not all. Also as pointed out, the venue is immaterial.

-- Posted by Acronym on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 3:02 PM
  • Good thing Theorist is an Independant... or she would really be ragging on Palin.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 6:24 PM
  • No one has come up with any bone head moves she has made. Just the same old SNL stuff.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 7:24 PM
  • Admit it, you just hate her because she is beautiful.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 9:52 PM
  • Real-ist wrote:

"...it seems so much worse when someone preaches one thing but practices something else."

But no one has shown what it is that Sarah Palin is preaching that she is not practicing. All that has been shown is that Bristol Palin did not practice that which Sarah Palin preached. That does not make either of them a hypocrite.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 7:37 AM
  • Pretend you believe until you do... may be good advice for some.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 9:26 AM
  • Will the treatment and prevention of PDS be covered under obamacare?

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 9:52 AM
  • Willy...There were posts on Tuesday that pointed out some of her boneheaded moves...There you are with your reading comprehension again...

-- Posted by Theorist on Mon, Nov 22, 2010, at 9:20 PM

Not on here. I want a reliable source not SueLynn saying she can see Russia from her back porch or Ike saying she is a moose hunter. Real news.........

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 11:04 AM
  • The only thing I don't like is that Bristol is getting so much attention.

Seriously, what has she accomplished in her life? Teenage pregnacy? This is enough to make her a "star"?

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 11:18 AM
  • Seriously, what has she accomplished in her life? Teenage pregnacy? This is enough to make her a "star"?

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 11:18 AM

I think the show is about DANCING!

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 11:23 AM
  • What has she accomplished? True she is a teenage mother. I think she's showing other teenagers and their families you dont have to get stuck in the rut of being a dependent on the government. You dont have to become a baby factory and draw more checks.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 12:00 PM
  • Looks like some among us have full blown PDS.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 12:20 PM
  • What has she accomplished? True she is a teenage mother. I think she's showing other teenagers and their families you dont have to get stuck in the rut of being a dependent on the government. You dont have to become a baby factory and draw more checks.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 12:00 PM

Yeah because her story is the prime example of your typical struggling mother.

It is a good story though. "Look how easy it is to be a mother. All it takes is multiple assistants and nannys. Why do you lazy mothers use wellfare?"

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 12:29 PM
  • Don't really understand why anyone cares what Bristol Palin does.

-- Posted by Acronym on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 12:52 PM
  • Check out Reasonings's post on Tuesday evening, after 8 p.m. I don't know if this is SueLynn or not, and it doesn't matter. Prove to me she didn't say these stupid remarks!

-- Posted by Theorist on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 12:12 PM

You have to take CBS interviews with Palin with a grain of salt. They are set up and edited. You didn't read my reply to her post.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 1:39 PM
  • Last time I checked my TV set, it not only had an on/off button, but a channel selector. I could probably find a link for an instruction manual if needed.

-- Posted by Acronym on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 1:43 PM
  • "Seriously, what has she accomplished in her life? Teenage pregnacy? This is enough to make her a "star"?"

What have many of today's 'star's accomplished: Jon & Kate plus 8 come to mind. What about the variety of characters that get voted off reality shows and wind up with some celebrity status because of this or that. We had that ex-Playboy model who was famous only for marrying an old codger and then fighting his family for his estate.

In short, we have lots of non-star-calibre celebrities adorning our televisions, newspapers, blog posts, and movie screens. I would say that Ms. Palin is no better nor worse than the best of them. Why make it an issue? Maybe she's just the current celebrity that people love to hate. Let her have her 15 minutes of fame, she's as entitled to it as anyone else.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 2:13 PM
  • Lumbr i'm afraid your mistaken. It's not a story to Bristol and the Palin family. It's reality there's a big difference.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 2:20 PM
  • -- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 2:13 PM

I agree 100%.

And I think Sara is better than most celebrities.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 2:22 PM
  • Lmbrgfktr wrote:

"It is a good story though. "Look how easy it is to be a mother. All it takes is multiple assistants and nannys. Why do you lazy mothers use wellfare?"

I'm shocked! You usually research better than that.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,...

"Her mom may be governor, but there is no nanny in the Palin house. Bristol gets up -- usually twice during the night -- to feed Tripp, who sleeps in a hand-me-down crib in her bedroom, and she says she has tapped out at least one school paper with her son crying in the background. She breastfed her baby for a month, pumping milk before class and rushing straight home to feed him. And she worked two part-time jobs to help pay for the diapers and formula her parents otherwise supply.

"If girls realized the consequences of sex, nobody would be having sex," says Bristol, sitting at her parents' lakeside patio table. "Trust me. Nobody."

It's that ol' bite out of the apple thing, of course. We ain't in the Garden of Eden anymore. Sex carries consequences: Childbirth (which they call 'labour' for a good reason), sexually transmitted diseases, and so on and so forth. She may not be the best spokesperson for it, but who else - the Octomom? Jon & Kate? C'mon.

Seriously, why do you care that anyone is paying attention to her, given your apparent silence on the other celebrities of today?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 2:28 PM
  • -- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 2:28 PM

Yep. Does it all on her own with no help what so ever...And who is watching the baby while she is dancing? Who pays for her rent? The food? 2 part-time jobs doesn't cover it. The show Palin is on doesn't have its own army of assitants and producers?

Not saying she is a bad mother or anything like that. But to compare her situation to a struggling/single mothers is assinine.

And why would you say my silence on other celebrities of day? I can't stand most "celebrities". Jon and Kate, Jersey Shore, The Hills, etc.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 2:54 PM
  • I just hadn't heard you comment on them, yet you state: "The only thing I don't like is that Bristol is getting so much attention."

If she's not getting your attention, why do you care to whom others are paying attention?

From what little I've seen of 'Dancing with the Stars, it seems to be more a place for has-beens and wanna-be's than for current 'stars'. What was Donnie Osmond up to before his stint on the show. They canceled 'Donnie and Marie, what, ten years ago? What's he been doing since? Talk radio or something. Maybe he still had too much dignity to join Danny Bonaduce and Tonya Harding on 'The World's Dumbest", so he held out for a stint on Dancing with the Stars?

I just didn't understand why that was "the only thing you didn't like", according to your post. Seems to me there are bigger things not to like in today's world.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 3:08 PM
  • -- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 3:08 PM

I was referring particularly about the Palin show and Palin exposure. IE, the only thing I don't like about the Palin Media apparances is the amount of exposure Bristol is receiving. The only thing she managed to do was sleep with a loser and get pregnant. Why romanticize it? Why reward it? Why give the appearance teenage motherhood is easy?

I think giving her so much attention actually does a disservice. For instance, how about instead of appearing on Dancing with the stars, she releases a statement like. "Wow, what a great opportunity for me. However, I will be unable to attend because I am a teenage mother. Giving up opportunities is part of the territory."

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 3:21 PM
  • To us this seems a little strong but to today's kid it right on spot.

http://www.datingish.com/735670042/candies-new-sex-psa-features-bristol-palin-an...

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 3:40 PM
  • "Seriously, what has she accomplished in her life? Teenage pregnacy? This is enough to make her a "star"?"

OK let's look at reality tv...

Kim Kadashian is a star- her rise to fame was a sex video she did as a teen. Same as her sister.

Octomom- her rise of fame.. given birth to 8

Kendra Wilkenson- her rise to fame was dressing nude with painted costume for one of Hef's parties.

Paris Hilton- her rise to fame- another sex video. Oh and parents who are rich.

You criticize Bristol Palin for being a teen mom and are insulted by the fact she is on tv. How about baby daddy? Levi tried to make a career out of of his 15 minutes of fame and posed for Playgirl. Why aren't you being critical of him?

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 5:10 PM
  • -- Posted by adidas on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 5:10 PM

I don't like any of them. but the reason I didn't bring them up is because the thread is about Palin.

And I am not "insulted" by her being on TV. And Levi is worthless loser.But he proves its easier to be a douchebag than a dad.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 9:18 PM
  • And Levi is worthless loser.But he proves its easier to be a douchebag than a dad.

Posted by lumbrgfktr

we agree on that!

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 9:38 PM
  • Sarah Palin knows how to make money by the shows and books. It is all about her, I watched her latest "gig" Sarah Palin Alaska it was well planned and no doubt a hollywood set. I hand it to her she knows how to market herself before the public. I feel like Barbara Bush does, Sarah needs to stay in Alaska.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Wed, Nov 24, 2010, at 8:07 AM
  • I noticed the reported ratings were down considerably on the last presentation. I didn't find the first particularly interesting, so I haven't watched again so I don't know about the quality.

-- Posted by Acronym on Wed, Nov 24, 2010, at 8:52 AM
  • It would be a lot more fun if she lived in Cooter.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Nov 24, 2010, at 9:11 AM

Respond to this thread