Speak Out: Why don't Republicans want to fix unpopular 1099 requirement?

Posted by voyager on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 4:04 PM:

ou were about the tell us, Ike aka Spaniard. Now why do you suppose that was?

Replies (7)

• Leave it in there. It will be easier to eliminate the complete health care legislation that was shove up out wazoo with the 1009 reporting intact. We want the ALL of it repealed.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 4:05 PM
  • The Repubicans have tried to repeal it, and failed. The Repeal had 61 votes, but the leadership decided to put it on the floor in a form that require a 2/3 majority, to ensure that it survived.

The Republicans set the 'no add-on's' rule when they proposed the tax packaged, to keep the Democrats from killing the bill by delaying it to death through endless debates on the add-on measures. The Democrats sought to undo that by proposing popular measures as add-ons, in order to get the foot in the door, so to speak. The Republicans said no. Now, it will be left to the Republican-controlled House and weakened-Democrat controlled Senate to resolve the matter next year.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 4:05 PM
  • Sorry about the previous post. I have a hard time typing on an I-Phone.

Nil

You are right about the cash payments to illegals. Many illegal have fake documents already that match up making it easy to still pay them.

This legislation will cost many small businesses their customers since people like myself will combine similar purchases to one vendor to reduce the paperwork.

Most of my larger vendors have already sent me their information along with a sales list of new products they will be carrying to fill this niche.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 6:03 PM
  • Nil,

That assumes the IRS will actually do something with the 1099's. Just because they're filed, doesn't mean they'll be read. And, just because they're read doesn't mean they'll be result in notification to the INS.

Government agencies don't have a good info-sharing track record...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 8:18 PM
  • Don't gut Obamacare... repeal it!!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 8:42 PM
  • That assumes the IRS will actually do something with the 1099's.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 8:18 PM

What I am worried about is they will only be used for auditing purposes if they can keep up. SS is 3 quarters behind most of the time..

Can you imagine the time it will take entering all of the 1099's? I will be sending in over 100 and I am a very small businesses and only service related.

Lowe's with all the small construction and handymen that use them will have to set up a system to take in maybe a million or more of them. That is just one vendor.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 8:54 PM
  • There is a twenty factor test rule that has to be met before a person is defined as a "Independent Contractor" and receives a 10-99 if that is not met then the person basicially becomes an employee of the company he worked for.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Wed, Dec 15, 2010, at 5:26 AM

Respond to this thread