Speak Out: What if the People of the United States paid the National Debt?

Posted by KoH_Cliff on Tue, Aug 25, 2009, at 1:11 PM:

There are lots of people in our country (Movie Stars, Business Tycoons, Sports Star, etc.) that have millions upon millions of dollars. What if the people gave the gov't a fraction of their hard earned money to get the nation debt down to a more reasonable amount? Would it help? Would it make a difference? I personally don't know much about national debt and it's affects on us as a country but it seems there are enough rich people out there that could spare a bit to maybe get the debt down under a 500 Billion dollars. So your thoughts? Please note I don't support this but am just more curious on the thoughts of my fellow Americans!

Replies (9)

• The only time the national debt was paid off was during the administration of Andrew Jackson.

Rich folks making contributions to reduce the national debt. Are you out of your ever lovin' mind? The yodels in Washington would first complain the rich folks didn't give enough and then proceed to run the national debt back up again.

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Aug 25, 2009, at 4:44 PM
  • http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I'm not giving the gov't $38,186+.

-- Posted by lurker on Tue, Aug 25, 2009, at 5:49 PM
  • Mr. Wiffle,

At the rate the profligate Democrats are spending now, don't you mean 3 minutes? You're a too kind and generous person.

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Aug 25, 2009, at 10:56 PM
  • Mr. Wiffle,

Since you are the only person that has actually answered the question and not just complained about the debt or the government, it seems that your thoughts are that even if the debt was paid off or brought down, we wouldn't see a difference in our country? We wouldn't be better off as a society?

-- Posted by KoH_Cliff on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 9:49 PM
  • Wouldn't make a nickel's worth of difference, KoH ... because if we allow it (and we do and we will continue to do so) our government, apparently, is going to keep spending ... keep taxing ... keep growing ... until we come to a point where no one has any money left to 'donate' to it.

Just an opinion, but it appears that our government leaders, in their great wisdom, see we, the people, as their bottomless money pit. All they have to do is offer us a few crumbs now and then ... programs I mean ... They do not care about our debt, they do not consider our future financial well-being ... An example of how easy it is to spend other people's money?

Incidentally ... without the income taxes from the wealthy, we would be in far worse shape than we already are.

Oh, my answer? If everyone in America could donate enough to put our country in the black, our politicians would find even more things to spend our money on. They would look upon a 'windfall' of money donated by the wealthy (on top of the percentage they already pay to the government in taxes) as merely an acceptance of their irresponsibility when it comes to America's financial well-being. So, no, your suggestion wouldn't solve a thing, not in the long run.

I see voyager and Wiffle have that pegged, in many less words than I ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Aug 27, 2009, at 1:36 AM
  • If you'll all recall, we were in a position to begin paying that debt down when Pres. Clinton left office.

Here's where our debt today came from:

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2009/08/deficit_numbers.html

And keep in mind that of the 16% from the Obama Administration, a significant chunk is continuity of the Iraq & Afghan wars.

-- Posted by FriendO on Fri, Aug 28, 2009, at 1:52 PM
  • Darn it, I was going to say that, Wiffle!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Fri, Aug 28, 2009, at 10:56 PM
  • You're right (of course), James ... but the philosophy of SS remains ... that the funds be accounted for, kept track of, etc. So it's kind of easier to visualize a separate account, even though in actuality there isn't (but probably should be?).

In essence, Clinton 'raided' SS funds to make it appear that our general finances were in better shape ... if that makes any sense?

I need to re-read something ... about taxes and what they were to be used for ... But it makes my head hurt!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 12:00 AM
  • I also need to refresh my memory of what the words 'fiscal responsibility' mean ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 12:01 AM

Respond to this thread