Speak Out: This Is What Could Have Been, Old John...!!!

Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Feb 24, 2011, at 8:54 PM:

NEXT New-Years' we'll have better directions, on WHICH flood-gate to meet at, won't we, guys n' gals...???☺

(Hope this link works!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhQ4dE_RGnQ

Replies (93)

• Donk, Been there done that sorta.

A buddy once stuck a short piece of well casing in the ground and loaded a old spool from a farm disc ontop some powder. Weighed maybe 7-10 lbs. When we realized it was going out of sight we all ran and heard it crash down through the hood of his Dad's new '50 Dodge truck with enough force to continue down and break the fuel pump off the side of the engine!

Now some may think I'm exagerating a bit, but stories always get better with time.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 24, 2011, at 9:18 PM
  • Rick, I saw a frog trying to eat a snake one time.

Top that! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 24, 2011, at 9:24 PM
  • Rick, If you say it tasted just like chicken, I may have to give up fried chicken.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 24, 2011, at 9:40 PM
  • SNAKE STEAK

2-3 lbs. SNAKE flank steak

Soy sauce

Onions (optional)

Pepper

Olive Oil

1 tbsp. sesame seeds

Garlic (optional)

Marinate steak with a 50/50 mix of oil and soy sauce. Enough to cover meat. Add sesame seeds, onions, and garlic. Marinate 24 hours and remove. Sprinkle with pepper and grill on open fire or oven broiler until brown.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Feb 24, 2011, at 9:46 PM
  • Yuk!

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Feb 24, 2011, at 9:52 PM
  • I think I have some Goex, have to practice that trick.

-- Posted by mynameismud on Thu, Feb 24, 2011, at 10:15 PM
  • Heh-heh!!! Just a little "revenge" on Old John, and Rick---and probably Gurusmom, as well!---for leaving me "holding the proverbial-bag" at the Themis-Street flood-gate at 11:59 p.m. on New Years Eve 2010! LOL!☺

Well, THAT, and now Old John knows exactly what GOEX-powder is---it's just another brand. An' it ain't for heat-rash, either, unless you're WANTING-some, that is???

(mynameismud, just in-case you were serious: I think Triple-F would work OK, that looks-like what Mr. Wilkinson here was using? I do know smokeless won't "cut" it---just heats things up with a pretty "flash"! And, believe it or not, standard "cannon-fuse" works a lot better than det-cord.)

Wait'll Wheels an' Voyager see what they COULD HAVE missed....!!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 4:07 PM
  • Wait'll Wheels an' Voyager see what they COULD HAVE missed....!!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 4:07 PM

Donknome-2

Cannot run and too old to fight! Best I can offer is driving the get away car in case you guys excite the cops.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 4:42 PM
  • Sorry, donk ... You want Mom to participate in anything outdoors, you'll have to schedule them for much warmer weather.

Yes, Wimpy Mom ... If my fingers & toes thaw out by, say, June ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 7:31 PM
  • Hmmm.

Well, the Fourth Of July DOES entertain some possibilities?

How's about a "spare"-bridge or two, out on HWY 34? Hey, it'd be more fun than watchin' them taken-out with more "conventional"-methods?

Wheels: Can you still manage a 5-speed split axle, in a '69 IH-Loadstar, with an unpredictable-clutch, and "sometimes"-good brakes?

'Mom: I'll forego that fancy-named, dark-hued "hooch" you splurge on, IF I can still have MY once-weekly Macanudo cee-gar?

That alone(probably)rules-out any Cape-location for the Fourth, as the fact that cigars smoke, and so does GOEX-powder.

Man, can you only IMAGINE what carnage we could've made with the Commander-building at the airport?LOL!

Hey, wait a minute: Is that particular-spot literally in SCOTT-County, by any chance?

We need some $MONEY$ though, to buy it CHEAP right now.

Where's VOYAGER when we need $cash$---I mean---him...???☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 12:05 PM
  • Donk, If you want to create a big stink, schedule and advertise a great smoke-in on government property. While all the protesters gather and the press comes to report, we can meet out at twin bridges and bragg about what we said we did and didn't. Rick can catch a snake and BC can bring a possum for the cook out. Maybe we can bring back a load of Bollinger County fence posts, you know, the kind that have sharp points and are a foot shorter than most. A good time had by all :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 12:24 PM
  • Old John: Don't make me think! My brain is pretty-warped as it is, when the moon changes phase! Makes usually weird ideas seem logical, sometimes!☺

Rick: Yeah, tell me about it! So was I on that date, after I was seen pullin' up to the Themis Street floodgate with a couple kegs of powder, a steel culvert pipe, 150-ft. of detcord, an' about 4000-"family-size" rolls of Charmin Facial Quality, for "ammo"!

But I got out later on my "good-behavior"---BWAHAHAHA-A-A-A!!!☺

(Sorry! Didn't know how to spell "recognizance"! Longman English Dictionary says "it don't be existin'!")

Longmans' English Dictionary. Yeah, I could "do-something" with that title---but I won't.

Least not "HERE".....!!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 2:17 PM
  • Sure you can enjoy a cee-gar, donk ... funny you should mention it though: Every now and then I enjoy a Macanudo ... not lately though. Tried pipe smoking decades ago (someone even made 'ladies' pipes' back then, with little rhinstones on them) but couldn't handle the packing, the tamping, the puffing to keep it going, the re-lighting ...

Would I have to bring fireworks on the 4th? Remember, I HATE spending money on something that only lasts 4-5 seconds. However, I'm pretty familiar with Hiway 34 ... which, against popular opinion, is NOT a dangerous road ... Not politically correct, apparently, to admit it's the DRIVERS who are the danger.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 4:29 PM
  • Oops, this didn't get copied/pasted at the end of the above:

Old J.'s suggestions are great ... y'all let me know when the plans are made!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 4:38 PM
  • G-Mom---heh, "gee, mom!"---that sounds kinda cute!☺ Oh, sorry---got off-line there!

I'm picky though---I only like the 5x50-Robusto style, with the Connecticut-wrapper. No dark, oily Maduro's for me---I only "do" mild, lol! As for pipes? Not really. I've indulged in a hookah 'bout 40+ years ago now, but?(No,no---not a "hooker" from E. St. Louis! A "hookah"! A---A danged-ol' nasty "BONG", OK? LOL!!!☺ And I was in uniform, so it doesn't count!)

Where was I? Oh, yeah: Fireworks! Answer: No! A few-pounds of GOEX should be entertainment enough---and I'm furnishing! I know where I can borrow a little cannon, that shoots D-Cell batteries for ammo. About a quarter-pound powder per shot, should last a LOT longer than 4-5 seconds! Maybe more like 4-5 minutes, allowing for re-load!☺

(Rick! Stop salivating on your keyboard! I'll let YOU light the fuse!)

I'm kinda worried about the time-frame, though: Sounds like they're gonna tear-out all THREE of those bridges on 34, at the same-time starting soon, now. Won't have it open again until the end of summer.

It's gettin' harder every day, to find GOOD-spots to par-tay at, anymore....!!!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 6:52 PM
  • Spank

Sounds like you had a good mom.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 7:24 PM
  • Regrets,

Where do you think he got the name "Spank"? ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 8:27 PM
  • Spank, Your mention of the old pull out chokes reminded me of a story my dad told.

A lady kept complaining her car just didn't want to go and was worse when the weather was warm. After repeatedly not finding anything wrong he asked her to demonstrate the problem.

As soon as she got behind the wheel she pulled out the choke knob and hung her purse on it!

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 12:02 AM
  • Ranks right-up there with the pre-mid 70's International, Ford, and some Dodge, trucks, with the Left-side ignition switch, an' a Right-sided choke-knob. May have been some GM that way, too, I don't remember? Guess it was "just to be different"?

Although it was as logical as Chrysler Corp., and their LEFT-handed lug nut threads on the drivers-side, and RIGHT-handed ones on the passengers!(It was for that reason Dad swore to God to NEVER buy one!)So just to spite him, I bought an "old" '68 Charger, simply to hear him cuss!☺

And it was such a great-car, that I kept it almost an entire-year!☺ Once those thousands of little pot-metal screws got rattled-loose---it was all downhill from there!

Hated Dodge/Plymouth chintzy sheet-metal, and basically cheap-quality interior trim of the time. But, I LOVED their engines and power-trains---second only to the mid-60's/early 70's "GOAT"...!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 10:11 AM
  • Donk, When Arkansas bought a fleet of Chevys for the state police, it became a hobby for the more adventurous Chrysler product owners to outrun them on Saturday nights. They didn't put you under the jail for that in those days.

My uncle worked on the state cars back then and when they blew the engines on two cars chasing a real bad guy, a trooper rushed in and took the old spare Dodge Monoco. After that he didn't want to give it back!

Rick, We had an outhouse like that!

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 10:55 AM
  • Enjoying your posts, donk ... Crossed my mind, though, that there could be those who don't see the humor, take it all too seriously and/or personally, and would have a problem with them ...

Hey, if the bridges on 34 are scheduled to be taken out ... We might suggest we'd do it for free? Save the taxpayers a lot of $$ ... or would that mean we'd all have some union members in another uproar?

Rick, I don't know what k'nik is ... I thought at first it said 'knit' and visualizing putting my yarn into a pipe ...

Spank's tale reminded me: Visited an old 'make-out/picnic/swimming' spot from my youth on the James River last time we were in the Springfield area ... Someone came along and ruined it all with new roads, bridges, and only a trickle of water in the dirty river. Couldn't even find the teen-popular Haunted Bridge near a cemetery ...

Don't know her, but I really like your mom, Spank! Tell her for us ... "Good job!"

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 4:55 PM
  • Mom,

I do know his Mom, went to school with her, and she is related. I am sure there were times when she thought Spank was cute with his antics and others when she tanned his hide a bit. And when she did, I'm betting it was earned. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

She is a good gal and a solid citizen.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 5:24 PM
  • Old John: Oh, geez---NOW you've done it! You lit my "Interest-Fuse", centered around an encounter with a buddys' Dodge Monaco P.I.-version! But I promise to keep it short---as possible, that is!☺

I used to work with a fella from then-Lutesville, who'd bought a used Dodge Monaco P.I., I think a '68-model?(As the Blues Brothers would say:"...before catalytic-converters, so it'll run good on regular-gas...")

The first time he popped the hood---I started salivating!☺ 440-c.i., 4-bbl of course, BUT with a restrictor-plate, as required by law to be re-sold as a "civilian family-rod".

Two-things immediately impressed me, ONLY about the engine: Of course, it was BIG---but basically simple, in the fact that it took us exactly ONE-hour to re-tap those holes to accept that carb WITHOUT the restrictor!(Can't remember, been too-many years---but I think it was a "commercial"-type 450-Holley? I DO know it had MANUAL secondaries, instead of the "slower"-acting VACUUM-powered ones.)OK, that's ONE.

The SECOND-thing that turned my crank was a gi-freakin'-gantic orange air-cleaner that had "440-Dodge P.I. System" printed all-over it. And then, underneath---a approx. 2 x 3-inch linkage-operated "butterfly" on the underside of its housing, that would swing open & down when it was actuated by the secondaries' linkage! Yep, the sneaky "legally-correct"-version of what we "civilians" would accomplish by inverting the top-hat of the air-cleaner chamber, to let it breathe, and HOWL, better!

Didn't work worth a "hoot" in the winter---too lean---but in the summer???

Can you say "Chick-Magnet"??? They LOVED the "vibes" from the intake, once ya' hit about 75-m.p.h.(65, if you were humpin' a hill!), and those secondaries started to open, and "do their thang".....!!!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 7:42 PM
  • G-mom: I HOPE you're referring to my extensive-"blowin'-smoke" about the "General-Topics/Methods Of Destruction" that I write of. But I'm of NO-danger to anyone---except MYSELF, and any foolish-idjits who insist on hangin' around me too-closely!(Ya' ever flick a cig-butt into a pan of gasoline, for "fun"? If ya' flick-it hard-enough, an' at the proper-angle---it extinguishes itself 8-out of 10-times, instead of the 2-odd-ball times that it causes a flash-fire. Cool, huh???)☺ Oh, sorry---there I go again!

And, the HWY-34 bridges? YEAH, that's exactly what I was in reference to. But I also realize some loose-wired individual just MIGHT actually DO somethin' like that, and then everyone would swear to GOD that I had a hand in it! (Oh c'mon, a fella ain't hard to find, once they start trackin' ISP-addresses!) But I've outgrown that stage now, because I suffer from "Have Wheels Will Travel"-Syndrome: I'm too stiff & slow anymore, an' I ain't as steady as I once was!!!☺

But, seriously now: If you EVER catch me overstepping my welcome, and are offended---please let me know. I'll pay attention to you, and a few-select others, and straighten my act out.

(However, for the other NON-selected ones, I'll tell 'em to "take a reproductive-act to new-heights, on an airborne-galloping goose"!☺)

In my way-past, I've most likely been shot at and threatened by much-more capable people than they now are, or ever WILL-be. (No, WHEELS---out/in-laws do NOT count, in this case!☺) As I've "said" before---I'm a better "blogger", than I am a "forum-er".(?)!

Guess that's why my wife keeps me locked in the bathroom with a pad of paper, an' a fresh-box of crayons, whenever she just HAS TO leave me alone.....!!!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 8:28 PM
  • You're safe, donk ... My Offense Meter is set pretty high. Even trying to visualize a guy sitting in the bathroom with his crayons doesn't bother me ... much.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 12:29 AM
  • Gurus, There were once several good swimming holes on the Diversion Channel starting at Greenbriar all the way to Whitewater. I don't think anyone swims at those places any more.

Donk, I think Chrysler Corp was banking on heavy performance in those days. GM and Lincoln were stealing there luxury sales and the money was getting short. The '68 GTX and the '69 Dart Swinger 340 made great speed fast. My '67 Cuda convertible 273cid wasn't fast, but that '69 charger would put the needle past the limit of that 150mph speedometer. I only did it once and was afraid to spit for a week afterward. That car was a real dog taking off but started going good after 50mph. A fellow that supposedly knew said it had the same set-up as went into the public version of the Superbird that was built for stockcar racing.

The Cuda and Charger were #5&6 of the classics that I traded away for crap!

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 12:44 AM
  • Rick: Yeah, but I was a coward around acid, so I settled for vinegar & bicarbonate as my "charge"---left me more "room for error"!☺

Gee-Mom: I am seriously considering removal of the full-length mirror on the back of the door, though. Even I can only stand so-much vanity...!

Old John: Did you ever see---or be lucky-enough to have---the limited-production model of the '68 Dodge Coronet RT, in Jet-Black with orange/yellow "bee-stripes" on it's rear, with the small "wing" on back, similar to what NASCAR now uses? I THINK it may have came with factory-chromed mags, as well---possibly Cragars? With RED-striped RADIAL-tires!(Oooh, tie-me-dow-w-w-n-n!) I've only seen ONE, brand-new & non-restored, in mid-'69. SW-W-WEET!!! Sleek-lines wherever I looked!

Some GIRL had it, believe it or not! And, it was in JACKSON, as in MISSOURI, to-boot!(Oh, and she weren't half-bad, either!)

Who was she? I dunno---she was way-y-y "outta my league". Man, talk about the male-ego takin' a direct-hit...!☺

Spank: Reminds me of a line from Mark Twain, I think it was. He'd been away for several-years, and returned home to find, to his amazement, "...just how much my Dad had matured, and started seeing things MY-way more each day, as we talked!..."

(Might want to "paraphrase"-that instead, 'cause it ain't exact...!☺)

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 11:36 AM
  • There were a lot of Ford Galaxies on the road in those days. I never thought of any as being classic although they were good cars and looked good. I recently learned by watching a TV show that Galaxies had so many different options and were so easily built to customer specs that very few were the same, making some a rare find.

I bought one from a friend that had manual steering and power brakes, hard to get used to!

My brother had one with only one option, big engine and 4-speed.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 2:49 PM
  • Old John,

Had a Black 64 Galaxy 500 2DR Hardtop 390 w/4 Barrel and pretty well equipped. I remember the window sticker price. $3838.

Needed premium fuel or it would spark knock if you even touched the accelerator.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 3:18 PM
  • Oh, Spank: You have my sincerest sympathy, for that "trade"!☺ Although actually, IF it had been a COSWORTH-Vega engine???(drool!)A long-gone bud of mine bought a Cosworth-powered Vega GT---maybe a '70-year? (Yeah, we ALL had hang-ups on those lettered-graphics of the time, made 'em faster, at least in the mind!) He owned it for ALMOST 3-months, before it got repo'd! 5-speed, I think? The motor had a strange, but beautiful, "tune" to it, as he ran through the gears. Wasn't blown, but it had the weirdest-lookin' mess of a carb---but Jesus H. would it run!(By the way: Wasn't the 351-Windsor of British-"roots" of some kind too, just like the Cosworth? Weren't they BOTH patterned after the European racing-circuit-versions of each?)

Man, if ALL of you guys wanna cry in your ice-cream floats, just "Google"---or use whichever search you prefer---your favorite make/model in the "search-images" box. Guarantee it'll reduce you to a blubbering-mass of tears!

Or, maybe in Spanks'-case: "Did I REALLY drive THAT, in-public?".....!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 4:01 PM
  • Spank, After the demise of the '55 Chevy I bought a '64 Falcon with 70,000 miles on the odometer. One day I pulled down the driver's side visor and read the service record the previous owner had recorded. It had 170,000 miles on it but proved to be a pretty good car. A buddy borrowed and wrecked it.

Wheels, A '64 2 door like that today is a good find. The factory horse power listed was less than actual.

Donk, I remember that optional Vega engine was the talk of the industry. Too bad the hardware was not up to the technology. Seems it took the Japanese to bring it to fruitation, starting with motorcycle engines. Can you say crotch rockets!?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 9:31 PM
  • Yeah, John, but it still wasn't a match for the MSHP Police-Interceptors of that time! I think those push-bars of the front-bumpers of the P.I.'s were electromagnets, instead of "just-steel"!☺

Of course, that was back when the Interstate started/ended at Fruitland, and was new & smooth as a babys'-butt, as opposed to the testing-ground it's become now!☺

Buddy was always better in-the-pinch, than I was: My FEET were too-danged big for those lil'-pedals, to do that "brake/shift/slide"-routine.(You know---a redneck-version of what they now call "drifting"?) But not him! His lil' skinny-butt an' ballet-feet just danced on those pads...!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 10:14 AM
  • "I am seriously considering removal of the full-length mirror on the back of the door, though ..." Thanks a lot for adding to my Mental Crayon Visual, donk.

Love the avatar, Spank!

All the car talk ... Keeps me wishing I'd kept all the 'junkers' I've had ... The Edsel in particular.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 5:30 PM
  • seems like i had heard Vega engine blocks were mfg out of aluminum and could warp at high temps .

-- Posted by Rick... on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 10:48 AM

Cast iron pistons in an aluminum block I think. I had one for a very short time. About two days.

I traded a shotgun for it and then a friend told me about the engine so I traded it for a motorcycle. The bad thing me and Jack Daniels laid the bike down on a corner running about 100mph and suffered severe road rash for several months. I learned my lesson.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 5:41 PM
  • The biggest problem with the Vega was the problem with the Corvair, GM's lack of admitting a mistake. They could have spent $8 per car to add a stablilzer to fix Nader's complaint of rollover and let the Corvair evolve into an excellent, top selling car in a few years.

They were in such denial about the Vega that when the car went off market, they tried putting the remaining Vega engines in the Monza.

Ford reacted a little differently concerning the exploding Pinto with self destruct Firestone tires, but GM continued to use the public as a substitute for research and developement with the Chevrolet Citation. It was delivered to the dealers with 13 pending recalls. Citation, a name previously used by Edsel Ford on a good idea too soon may have helped to hasten it's demise.

The Chevette, a small car, came with a small engine and full size car ascessories. The Battery, A/C compressor and Alternator were nearly as big as the engine. Chryler at least was smart enough to recognize they weren't equipped to compete in the economy market, so they added muscle to what they had and imported Japenese products for fuel efficient offerings.

And Rick, looking back, that Rambler doesn't seem nearly as ugly today as I thought back then. I guess it has grown on me. My great uncle had one as his last car and swore it was the best he'd owned!

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 6:23 PM
  • Geez, if ALL of us ever got together, it'd by like a family-reunion---except without the "family"-angle on it!(At least none we'd admit to, in-public!☺)

And, there's NO-way we could've met in any local-eatery, for a friendly-lunch: I mean, just LOOK at all the beer, "hooch", cigs, 'gars, pipes, "blunts"(Rick!☺), an' snuff we've already "poisoned" the patrons with! Not to mention the explosions, car-chases, loud-(lack-of!)mufflers, and that burnin' rubber smell, an' the oily-spots on the parking spaces from our now-obsolete "toys"!

I live for this kind of stuff---long-distance bull-"Stowing-High-In-Transit-To-IN'diana"! About 5-years ago, I got to know a history-teacher in Killeen, TX who's collects military-firearms in particular. We bantered back-an'-forth for a long-while, "threatening" each other with a surprise-visit---Texas ain't THAT far away, it just gets freakin' BIG once ya' get there!---and suddenly one weekend, he showed-up in my driveway!

He's been a "regular" each year now since. I'm hoping this-year, I can afford to show him MY biggest interest: Antique steam/fuel-tractor engine restoration. But I haven't been much farther than Pinckneyville, IL each year lately, because I just feel better having not exhausted myself with a long-drive prior to, anymore---I like keeping the trips within my "comfort-zone".

Diseases are a "funny"-thing: Unlike names & GOOD-memories, they don't just disappear as time goes on. You either adapt your life to them, or you---don't.

Yeah, long-winded a-hole! But just like a sphincter---I may have STARTED it bluntly, but I FINISHED it to the point....!!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 10:49 AM
  • donk, I have plowed through all of this thread attempting to make any sense of it and have concluded I don't know nothin' bout nothin!

Except one thing. Shapely can be counted upon for a receipe concerning anything. Snake steaks, Lord amercy and the Saints preserve us!

And y'all talking about meeting somewhere and blowing up trhings or other!

And all I want to do is drive either the Susten or Stelvio Passes.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 1:19 PM
  • Why, Voyager---in that case, you should be THANKING-us for the tuition-free education from the BEST-assemblage of self-taught experts to EVER have met in ONE convenient spot! I mean, hey---just ask one of us, we'll tell ya' it's true!☺☺☺!!!

So hold your Mercedes-emblem HIGH, in the knowledge that YOU now know FIFTY-SEVEN TIMES more about absolutely nothing of consequence than the NEXT-person who'll post on here, therefore being even MORE un-knowledgeable than you were!!!

THERE! I DARE you to even attempt to make sense of THAT-one...!!!

(And, if you're not TOO-teed-off at me by the time I get back? I've even got a query about a couple of mid-50's Mercedes' that YOU might be familiar with, as well!☺)

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 4:55 PM
  • Hmm, the Stusten/Stelvio Passes.

Ain't they way-out yunder in Wayne County? Nah-h-h, cain't be---that sounds more like Iron County?

(If that don't "boil his lizard", nothin' will!)

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 5:07 PM
  • Was telling Pops about Tater, Jr., Spank ... He said he thought I was going to say you named him Tater Tot ... and he laughed about the 'helicopter tail.'

"YOU now know FIFTY-SEVEN TIMES more about absolutely nothing of consequence than the NEXT-person ..." That is funny!!!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 7:43 PM
  • So, at Comment # 60---that must mean I'm even stoopid-er den I wuz when I started-ded???

After further review of my last-statement: I'd say that's a resounding "YUP! 'Pears-t'be so!"

I want my tuition-money back! Who started this stoopid-thread, anyhow?

Oh. Heh-heh---It appears to be ME.

Which goes without saying....!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 10:31 AM
  • Now Donk, let's just get a few things straight!

First, I do not like Mercedes Bmnz. I thourght I had made it abundasntly clear I'm a Porsche man and my dream is driving a 911 Carrera GTS up and down those damned mountain passes, which for your general information are in Switzerland. Last I heard Switzerland did not have counties but rather cantons, but I flunked geography. So how the hell should I know.

And as an added infusion of infomrmation to you pool of useless and irrevelent information, I had planned to sink 150K of the grandchilins anticipated inheritance in that Porsche. This being mention for the sole purpose of some of our Liberal brethern to clack their useless tongues protrudoing from their vacant minds.

And furthermore, Donk, you are NOT stupid. That honor is reserved for some of the aforementioned Liberals.

Finally, Trig is DEMANDING his dinner and you are smart enough to know what that means!

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 6:28 PM
  • Yep, THAT "stroked his dragon", alright!

Voyager, you may NOW stagger-forward, and accept your diploma with pride, and haste---the inks' kinda gettin' runny on it, from our tears of joy for your accomplishment!☺

Seriously though(yeah---RI-I-I-GHT!!!) You mentioned Porsche. Was/Is that companys' older designs related to/originated as the Karmann-Ghia/Volkswagon models of the early 70's? Except for the engine, that is?

(Gawd, it HURTS to write a SERIOUS-statement! I---I just don't know if I can handle the pressure of it, anymore!)(shudder!)......!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 8:17 PM
  • I saw in a museum a pre war car that looked just like an early VW but it was a really big car.

Was told it was from Porsche before the company was taken over by the German government.

Didn't the VW evolve from war era production and the Porsche as we know it now come from the designs of when Porsche was in England? I'm thinking the US propped up the German plant to produce the people's car.

Been a long time since I read up on that stuff.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 8:39 PM
  • The first people to feel it will be the ones in the cities. They can't do things we can (plant that garden) or are just institutionalised you might say.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 9:00 PM
  • Ferdinand Porsche designed automobiles for several firms, particularly Mercedes but went independent. Hitler wanted a cheap Peoples car and Porsche met with hHitler. Bottom line Hitler liked what he say and saw to it financing was arranged. Factory was built. A few cars were made before war began. During the war the factory made Webelwagons for the army ()sinilar to our Jeep). It waws heavily bombed. After the war the French siezed Porshe and put him in prison. Porsche's son Ferry carried on the business and rebuilt it. Porsche was finally released but his health was ruined. He died 1950 (I think).

The Americans helped Ferry restart the Volkswagon works to help the German economy and create jobs (sounds familiar somehowl Around 1948 Ferry designed and built a Porsche sportscar (the 386 I think). The first one imported into the USA was around 1950. In l963 the 911 was introduced and has underegone a number of variations and technical imporovement. Currently, I trhink there are 16 model variations. Ever since Porsche has maintain design consistancy, concentrating on technical improvements.

The Karman Ghia was a Volkswagon production as opposed to a Porsche product. Volkswagon and Porsche are independant of each other except there has been talk of a merger.

Since I've told you more than you ever wanted to know, Google Porsche for more info.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 11:32 PM
  • Nah-h-h, can't "Google"-it: That'd be much-too logical, makes WAY-Y-Y too-much sense!☺

Apparently those Anti-Ignorance classes we sponsored have worked-out really-well, for this Voyager-student!☺

(How many of you wanna bet that there's a Wild-Man/Party-Animal by the "street"-name of VOYAGER, who pops-out of his Spanish-Cedar-lined humidor each Full-Moon, and "par-tays" until the break of dawn in a turbocharged Porsche, striking terror into the hearts of innocent, young road-course wannabes'???)☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 9:41 AM
  • Thanks Voyager, now you got me interested.

My uncle considered the VW Thing a big time insult to American veterans.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 9:41 AM
  • And now I learn the Kubelwagon [ bucket-tub cart?] was buildt by US owned firm, Ambi Budd.

No wonder Unc didn't like the Thing.

Probably got financing via Bush from Walker.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 12:30 PM
  • Hold up there donk! I don't smoke and dont' have a cedar lined humador. Now I might admit to a cedar lined coffin I keep down in a secret crypt sommerswhere or tuther. And I might "fly" about places after the sun goes down.

And did I mention when I go to Europe and pick up that new Porsche and spend 6 months "sightseeing" around, that I've got Translvannia on the agenda. (Thats someplace in western Pennsylvania, I think. I Did mentioned I flunked geography slong with spelling and typing.)

And I hated having to read House of Seven Gables in hgh school English. Now I can't.

A secret Wild mam/ party animal? What the hell you think I've been doing for the last 74 years?

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 4:07 PM
  • Ah-h-h, but---if you re-read it a SECOND-time, you'll see where I DID say "YOUR"-humidor, so as to keep-YOU from drying-out---or gettin' moldy, whatever the case! Either way, it "mellows & matures" you, into (smokeable) perfection!☺

As for the last 74-years? I doubt-not your abilities!

But for the past-69 comments---we'alls have shore been givin' you one helluva list of NEW-things to try, IF you can survive 'em...lol!!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 7:25 PM
  • Is the bridge you guys were talking about jumping off of?

http://www.capecentralhigh.com/cape-photos/castor-river-bridge/

When I wrote the piece I thought I knew where it was, but several folks had different opinions.

-- Posted by ksteinhoff on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 7:48 PM
  • Castor River would be farther west; runs generally north to south from just east of Fredericktown to Marquand till it empties into the Diversion Channel. It seems to me this bridge would be on Hwy 72 just east of Fredericktown or on Hwy 34 (twin bridges) west of Marble Hill. My guess would be the Hwy 72 bridge.

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 8:17 PM
  • Donk, I like you! You've got a sense of humor, a special ability to take the ridiculous and make it sound perfectly plausable. At the same time take the commonplace and make it soulnd outlandish.

When I was a kid, I had a great aunt who told me the secret to a long and happy life.

"Take serious things frivilously and frivilous things seriously."

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 9:27 PM
  • Voyager, I once considered what would be a better wood working project than to build a nice cedar lined box big enough for my final display. Considering laws prevent my permanent attachment to the box, it could be used as storage and prideful display in the homes of generations to come, that purpose interupted only when it was time to display the next subject of family gathering.

I'm thinking something the whole family could get into.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 1:48 AM
  • Yeah, Voyager, upon my demise, I think I deserve a bronzed-likeness of myself to be placed at a fitting-location upon the county-courthouse lawn. Indeed---a place of HONOR, INTEGRITY, HUMILITY---all of which I exude.

I'm thinkin' an electroplated-likeness of a turd, near the public-restroom entrance might be quite fitting....!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 11:11 AM
  • Old John, I am still laughing at MY OWN ignorance, because it took me THREE-reads of your "family"-comment, quote:"...something the whole family could get into.",unquote.---to figure out: "Oh-h-h! THAT'S what he meant!!!"

I swear to God---I sat here for the better-part of 15-minutes, wondering: "But how will the last-one in close the lid???"

THEN it suddenly hit me: "Oh-h-h---he's gonna use a removable LINER, I guess---an' the LAST-one "in-line" can just KEEP-it as their own, I suppose?"

Hey---at least we got the problem of "last-one in closes the lid!" ironed-out pretty-good.....!☺

(I didn't have the best of nights last eve---I think I'll go back into hibernation, an' try it again, for MY-own sanity!)

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 11:28 AM
  • Semi-Serious Question: Is it against the law now to have a 'family plot' for burial? Can only bury your pets on your own land ...?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 9:12 PM
  • Don't know mom but I had a good friend that passed just before Christmas. He was cremated and there was a small gathering to remember him.

We are taking his ashes to his farm this summer to scatter them on the family graveyard were his headstone will be. He wanted it done that way and even staked out the spot he wanted.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 9:33 PM
  • Mom, I asked my brother about the casket idea and he said a pine box is still legal if enclosed in a state aproved vault. A small company was featured in Rural Missouri Magazine that sells custom hand made coffins. About the family plots, I think it is still allowed in established plots recognized on county maps. I asked him that and he said it varies by state as that is one of the few things the federal gov hasn't took over yet.

The reason I asked my brother: people are always dieing to do business with him.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 9:56 PM
  • Old John,

Had a friend who was buried in a pine box just a few years ago. By his request. Attended the visitation but could not attend the buriel so do not know about the vault.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 10:01 PM
  • Wheels, I told my wife if she spent a bunch of my money burying me I would come back and haunt her!:) I am not concerned about what is done with my body when I'm done with it, don't plan to be there!

It is amazing how many spend big bucks on underware and shoes for dead people. Same with jewelry and such.

I do have a modest stone standing with my name on it.

If you wanted a big send-off you could have all your prize collectables brought out to the cemetary and have a big aucion right after the burial!

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 1:01 PM
  • If you wanted a big send-off you could have all your prize collectables brought out to the cemetary and have a big aucion right after the burial!

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 1:01 PM

Probably, assure us a good crowd. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 2:34 PM
  • Old John wrote:

"It is amazing how many spend big bucks on underware and shoes for dead people. Same with jewelry and such."

Do you really want to spend eternity wearing a polyester leisure suit?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 2:56 PM
  • "Do you really want to spend eternity wearing a polyester leisure suit?"

You could have talked all day without mentioning that.

I think I will go pick out my going away wardrobe tomorrow!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 5:35 PM
  • Maybe a hatchet would make a good ornament on a pine box of one going out as he came in.

On second thought someone would want to bid on it!

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 11:46 PM
  • Old John,

Speaking of checking out... I have a friend down here in Gulf Shores who told us the othere day that he always wanted to live to be 80 and now he is 80, so he thinks maybe he will go for 90.

One of the other guys asked him how his life had been so far and his answer was "It's been like a run through hell wearing gasoline soaked shorts but he has enjoyed it."

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 12:22 AM
  • Wheels, Sounds like a well of a man!

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 12:30 AM
  • Seen one of those in action before. It does work, and of course, who can put a price on safety?(Workers' Comp and OSHA!) But aside from that, it would seem the initial-cost of such an advanced-system might make it prohibitive for a small-operation, let alone the actual-downtime to replace the $$mechanism$$. And, there was some question as to how it performed in "less than ideal" situations, like "green"-wood, or excessively-damp conditions?

And I can't see those arbor-bearings/bushings EVER being in-specs again, after more than maybe ONE of those impacts. And I understand the replacement of the "cushion" takes a considerable amount of time to install safely/correctly, as well?

Better buy TWO, for allowance of downtime on the ONE!!!

(Yes, I noticed the hot-dog. And, Yes, "that" did cross my mind, unfortunately. But that's good-merchandising! I mean, it made YOU LOOK, didn't it?)☺!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 10:07 AM
  • It's gonna hafta be the "standard" pretty soon. The only thing I still question is: How well does this thing respond at normal-feeding speed, to actual human-flesh, as opposed to the "sacrificial-weenie"? Two totally-different values of electrical-resistance, there.

Yes, he DID put his fingertip on the blade---but oh-so slowly, no sudden moves.(Well, of COURSE-not!) What I'm goin' the long-way around the barn of saying: How would the presence of stock, and the faster-feed of an actual-cut, affect it's reaction-time?

With todays' level of the typical-employee's use/lack thereof, of the stuff known as "Common Horse-Sense", it'll be a necessity to ward off the ol' "Litigation-Blues"!

As for him stuffin' his finger in there? Yeah, I agree---that's more like somethin' WE might(have)"Do(ne)-Under the Influence"!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 4:04 PM
  • And, Wheels: "...run through hell in gasoline-soaked shorts, but..."! Sounds like somethin' I might come-up with!

Could be a way-y-y long-lost kin of some sort???

Nah-h-h. You said HE.

That line sounds more like somethin' my Aunt Dorothy would've said, except with more "substance".

Heh-heh! Indeed, Martha Stewart she was NOT...!!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 4:16 PM
  • Donknome-2,

This guy is one of the last of the real characters. I couldn't begin to tell you all of the things he has told me over the last dozen or so years, but when he decides there is somehting he needs to learn to do, he sets about doing it. From jewlery making to building designs in stained glass to building a house.

I think the run through hell part was back in his drinking days when he tried making a career out of that as well. Says he stopped drinking, smoking and got divorced all on the same day.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 7:08 PM
  • About the downtime concerning the saw: that won't as big a problem as the downtime of the operater when flesh meets a normal saw. [something I know something about]

Let's put it this way: when hitch-hiking I got one for long rides and one for short rides! I have a reduced capacity to thumb my nose at anyone.

My general rule of thumb depends on which thumb I'm using.

I think a common reason for removing the blade guard is that it is attached to the anti kickback gadget that can disrupt a smooth feed.

The best saftey device is to take a few seconds to make the cut in your mind and imagine the worst, then make the cut.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 11:50 PM
  • Old John: True! But by all means---do NOT close your eyes in the process! You just may miss-something---literally, in-deed!!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 10:20 AM
  • Wheels: Guess that's why I always looked forward to a visit with my favorite-Aunt. She, too, was in the "other"-part of the family, as in, "associated by marriage, only", lol!

(Never fails to amaze me. You take a lump of gumbo, mix it with another lump of just common ol' dirt. Add a half-bucket of Mississippi-water, and you STILL come up with MUD in the end...???☺)

My wife had met her a few-times quite a while before we had ever met/married, and upon learning the lady was my favorite Aunt, she remarked: "Yeah, I can see where you two just MIGHT-mix quite well, alright!"

To which MY-reply was: "Yeah, that goes without sayin'! I mean, look at what YOU-married, on your second-time around!"☺

But, since her family considers me "estranged", if you will---that must mean I'm doin' SOMETHING right......!!!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 10:48 AM
  • Have to report arrangement made with my cousin who will be left the "task" of disposition of remains.

Told him I had decided to be cremated. His reply: "Seems appropriate considering where you'll spend eternity." Told him the Porsche was to be auctioned off and proceed givewn to animal rescue. "Fine," he said, "but you are determined to start a family bidding war."

I fear the cedar coffin will be cremated also, but I won't be here to know about it, being otherwise occupied.

If I preceed Trig, I needn't worry. Half the people I know have already placed dibs on him.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Mar 12, 2011, at 1:37 PM
  • Voyager, By the time you get done with the Porcshe, your hand made avatar may be a more worthy donation. It is special you know, ain't no one else got one like it!

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 12:18 AM
  • THERE!!!

Now I've got a hunnert, so it's time to p*** on the fire, an' call the dogs---let's go home!!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 6:07 PM
  • Donknome-2

Somebody sent me this link to a song you might enjoy.

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?t=5978

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 6:34 PM
  • HA!!! I know of at least four people who'll find a copy of this in their e-mail boxes by tomorrow morning...!!!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 9:44 PM
  • My custom made one of a kind avatar will be attached to the special order Porsche and will go with it when auctioned.

Heck, why has dying become so damned complicated and expensive. The funeral home wants to sell me a $2500 jar to contain my ashes. Said, No Thanks, just put 'em is a shoebox and cousin will scatter the ashes in a secret place. Don't think the funeral director was terribly amused.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 10:44 PM
  • -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 10:48 PM
  • Great video, Wheels! Pops enjoyed it even more than I did ... for some reason. ;)

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 11:06 PM
  • Mom,

Always liked the Bellamy Bros. Their song "If I Told You, You Had a Beautiful Body... Would You Hold It Against Me" especially. ☺ ☺ ☺ 1

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 11:24 PM
  • Mom,

PS: Tell Pops hi for me!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 11:25 PM
  • Wheels, Are you saying someone made a song out of something I was saying in high school that never worked? :)

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 1:06 AM
  • Looks that way Old John.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 8:31 AM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 9:00 AM
  • Yes Spank,

The Bellamy Bros were on the young side yet, I remember when it came out.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 11:47 AM
  • Spank, Wheels, & John,

If you like the Bellamy Bros. you will probably enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4j_9IQ6wzk

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 11:59 AM
  • Off subject but funny. http://tinyurl.com/4m87z...

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 12:15 PM
  • Old John,

Re Kayaks come down the river here in front of me once or twice a week.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 1:08 PM
  • Wheels, Boy did I screw up! That link was supposed to be to the top ten reasons you know you are a union government worker. It's on Boortz.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 7:22 PM

Respond to this thread