Speak Out: Labor brute force rules

Posted by blogbudsman on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 6:07 AM:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_ed/view.bg?articleid=1319278

The only person who had worse press coverage this week than organized labor was Moammar Gadhafi -- and he had to bomb his own people to get it.

As of this writing, union-owned Democratic state senators are still hiding out in cheap hotels across state lines in Illinois. These Wisconsin "flee-baggers" can't find the courage to show up for work, but they're on cable news every hour whining about Gov. Scott Walker

Do the teachers and their allies have any idea how their threats and tantrums look to the overworked taxpayers who pay their salaries? Taxpayers who can't retire at 58 and who don't have guaranteed pensions?

Replies (24)

• repubs won't be happy until everyone makes 8 bucks an hr. and we still won't be making 75 cents an hr like juan in mexico or 50 an hr like chin in china. we can't compete with that. the teachers don't make 100,000 grand. 50 60 tops. same with other public sector. they could make more with their masters in private. you are just hollering because they are union. and probably democrats.

-- Posted by workingdude on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 8:33 AM
  • Educators (teachers) want to be perceived as working in a 'profession' not in a 'job' like us in the blue collar trades. If they desire the respect accorded to 'professionals' their behavior should reflect well on their profession.

Workingdude,

Obviously you have never looked into the costs of running a business, meeting all the filing and tax-collecting requirements that apply to those who employee other people. I did, and that is why I chose to be an employee rather than an employer. My hat is off to those who put up with all the headaches that go with running a private-sector business. Your employer pays unemployment tax and half of your social security tax. He/she also pays a number of taxes (fees) that go along with providing your employment, meets OSHA, EEOC, etc. requirements, keeps all the paperwork and files his/her quarterly reports. All this is done on his/her personal time unless the business is big enough and profitable enough to hire office staff to do this (which expense then comes directly out of the 'profit' of the business.

The least a good employee should do is be aware of the headaches and expenses the employer bears in order to provide the employee a job. If you will do a little research on facts (not opinions) you will find that this year the average salary and benefits for a teacher in Wisconsin tops $100,000.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 9:17 AM
  • What I hated most from my employees. In 1999 I had a very good year. I had 9 people working and gave all of them a $2000 Christmas bonus.

I bought myself a new fishing boat ($3000 and my old boat). The next spring I started hearing the squealing from one of the guys saying I should have given them that money also. I never gave a Christmas bonus like that again.

I put the men on a bonus system that rewarded them for hard work which even paid them more. The good thing about it they culled out the non producers because it cost them money.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 11:17 AM
  • Earned is always a better word than gave concerning bonuses.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 11:47 AM
  • Ah, regret ... even intelligent, hard-working Americans often are in the grip of wealth envy. Guess you learned that when you give someone something extra just for doing their jobs, some will still resent 'the boss's' income and think it should be shared with them.

Wonder sometimes about people who don't realize that without employers ... they'd be worrying about how to survive on unemployment, and pushing for extensions to it.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 4:03 PM
  • blog, the funny thing about the exodus to IL is ... IL is one of the states sinking in debt, and the "union-owned Democratic state senators" (LOVE that description!) are spending their state salaries on motels, food and probably drink. IL may be giving them all a discount!

Mentioning retirement ages ... Don't federal employees get to 'retire' at 50 (or is it 55?) ... seems odd that they deserve a younger retirement than the 'private' workers. Have never seen a suggestion that we raise the public retirement age to save money, as we hear about SS so often.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 4:05 PM
  • Mom

I have a sister that retired from the gov. at 42 (early retirement) with 65% of her pay and medical. I am still scratching my head about that one. I tell her she had something on Clinton. :)

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 4:22 PM
  • workingdude - if teachers can be making more with their degrees than in teaching why aren't they doing it? Why don't you just pay me $100,000 to do somethings that someone else will do for $50,000?

The big problem with the teachers and other government workers is they are public employees. This isn't about unions, it's about public service unions.

I keep having to remind your short memory. BILL CLINTON signed NAFTA. And if you're too young to remember, he's a democrat. GEORGE BUSH protected union steelworkers by putting a tariff on steel imports in 2004. I disagreed with that but your "repubs blah blah blah" stuff doesn't work. Please explain the NAFTA vote for all of us?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 4:23 PM
  • Regret, I recently read an article (AARP, I think) about this poor guy who was having a problem making ends meet ... He'd retired from gov. employment at 50 or 55 with (again, have a mental glitch remembering exact numbers) I believe $40,000 a year retirement, PLUS his medical. I kind of have a problem with 'our' employees having better retirement plans than the rest of us do.

Speaking of unions ... Air Controllers? Remember all the predictions (from unions/members) about aircraft crashes, etc., were predicted? Sorry, that just popped into my mind a minute ago.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 4:36 PM
  • Dug, I always wondered why they put a tariff on imported steel rather than an export duty of scrap iron.

Really strange to me is the story of Galvalum. A U.S. patent that somehow was sold to the Asians. It had great potential as a leading manufactured export to counter the imported steel.

Gurus, I remember that air traffic controller thing playing out, more intresting to watch than Dallas on TV! Almost as fun as Reagan vs the guy with the ponytail.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Feb 26, 2011, at 11:46 PM
  • Retirement? At what age.........

I am now beginning my third career....or is it my fourth. I have realized that I cannot depend on any body to finance me......even with the full faith and credit of the federal government behind it. Or the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers, and Grain Millers Union. I was once planning to retire at age 59, then 69 at full benefits. I will plan to work till the day I die; anything else will be a pleasant surprise. Not complaining; just the facts of life.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 9:49 AM
  • OJ

I had forgotten about "ponytail guy". He had his 15 minutes of fame.

Does anyone have that video? I looked on YouTube and cant find it.

STN

I keep saying I will retire but I am afraid I wont. You work your tail off to retire and then when you get there you don't want to. I'm afraid I will get lazy and dead. I can still go south for the winter and hustle in the summer I guess. As long as I can take off for the crappie season I am happy.

Like my mother said: Idle hands are the devils workshop.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 10:41 AM
  • haven't you heard the expression "those who can't do it teach it"

And I said this on the other thread and I will say it again: Here is a thought on those coward democrats who are "hiding" in IL. Who is paying their bills? It was reported that these yellow democrats are paying their own hotel and food expenses while hiding out in IL. I doubt it. I think the unions are behind them running to begin with and I think the unions are footing the bills. I think it should be investigated, because if anyone else are paying their hotel or food expenses while they are hiding out, then that must be reported as either a campaign contribution or as a gift, which as a public figure there are rules and laws regarding "gifts" given to politicians!

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Sun, Feb 27, 2011, at 9:49 PM
  • That made me remember ... heard just a little clip saying that they had to physicallly pick up their paychecks I guess at the Capitol ... Thought that was hilarious.

But betting your suspicion is correct, adidas ... about who is actually footing (or will be) the bills.

Personally? I think, just like any other employee who misses work ... teachers & politicians should be fired for their absences.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 12:20 AM
  • Yes they should be fired, except some quack doctor is out there handing the protesters fake medical excuses to give their employers.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 9:34 AM
  • Picked this up om the web.

"Government worker unions in Wisconsin are now encouraging people to boycott small businesses. The unions found out which small businessmen contributed money to Walker's campaign ... then they hand out fliers to people telling them to boycott these businesses until the owners release a statement condemning Walker. "

The problems with government unions are endless.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 4:47 PM
  • Watched Gov. Walker's speech earlier. Guess the handful of Democrats in the audience didn't view it as favorably as I did ... It was a good speech, even though I can understand the negative reaction to the part of it regarding absences.

Why aren't we all sick to death of all this 'party adoration' ...? Without it, we might be able to manage some needed changes in governmental practices.

Anyway, I prefer to hear a speech that isn't interrupted by clapping, standing up ... Just let a person give a speech, then react?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 5:47 PM
  • If I skipped work for two weeks I wouldn't have to worry about going back to work to pick up my pay check. The final one would be mailed to me. And if I signed up for unemployment it would probably be challenged!

Ah! The perks of being the 'ruling class'.

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 8:50 PM
  • stnmsn8

The bad thing is most of the time all will be forgiven and it goes back to business as usual. This time may be different.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 8:58 PM
  • Perhaps things will be different this time. Tea Partiers in Illinois are making it a bit uncomfortable for the Wisconsin senators on the run.

http://www.dailycaller.com/2011/03/01/cornstalked-as-the-14-wisconsin-democrats-...

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 9:06 PM
  • stnm, That is funny!

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 9:14 PM
  • I bet they are miserable.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Mar 2, 2011, at 9:20 PM
  • That's quite a website ... More information on it than I have time to read, but signed up for it anyway.

Daughter in IL says the state is tickled pink to have the Dems there spending their money on hotels, restaurants, lounges ... IL needs it desperately!

Wonder if they took their spouses along?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 12:48 AM
  • Oh, Regret! "... all will be forgiven and it goes back to business as usual." You mean like being found guilty on 'ethics charges' stemming mainly from tax evasion and not going to prison like others have had to do?

You know, if our politicians can't be at least as honest as they expect the rest of us to be, they should at least lose their jobs . Or is that too much to expect ... You know, being held accountable?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 12:56 AM

Respond to this thread