Speak Out: Before Name calling... take a long look in the mirror...

Posted by D49F11 on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 10:02 PM:

Joe gets up at 6 a.m. and fills his coffeepot with water to prepare his morning coffee. The water is clean and good because some tree-hugging liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards. With his first swallow of water, he takes his daily medication. His medications are safe to take because some stupid commie liberal fought to ensure their safety and that they work as advertised.. All but $10 of his medications are paid for by his employer's medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance - now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some girly-man liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry. In the morning shower, Joe reaches for his shampoo. His bottle is properly labeled with each ingredient and its amount in the total contents because some crybaby liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained.

Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some environmentalist wacko liberal fought for the laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his government-subsidized ride to work. It saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees because some fancy-pants liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day. He has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some lazy liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe's employer pays these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union. If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed, he'll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some stupid liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

It's noontime and Joe needs to make a bank deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe's deposit is federally insured by the FDIC because some godless liberal wanted to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the Great Depression. Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae-underwritten mortgage and his below-market federal student loan because some elitist liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his lifetime. Joe is home from work.

He plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive. His car is among the safest in the world because some America-hating liberal fought for car safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. His was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers' Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have electricity until some big-government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification.

He is happy to see his father, who is now retired. His father lives on Social Security and a union pension because some wine-drinking, cheese-eating liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to.

Joe gets back in his car for the ride home, and turns on a radio talk show. The radio host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't mention that the beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day. Joe agrees: "We don't need those big-government liberals ruining our lives! After all, I'm a self-made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."

Replies (105)

• now THAT is a fairy tale

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 10:12 PM
  • It is obvious, Joe is a well oiled machine unable to take care of himself and needs a lot of help.

Hopefully before Joe retires for the day, he will slip into his children's rooms as they lay sleeping, give them an extra hug and say a silent thank your to them and his yet unborn grandchildren for taking care of the debt that Joe and his kind have built for them over time.

Now... off to bed with you Joe, you have a well programmed day ahead of you again tomorrow. And sleep tight, knowing we conservatives don't mind giving a little more of what we are working long hours to earn so that you can live the good life.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 10:20 PM
  • "Well, there he goes again"

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 10:24 PM
  • DR 49

You really should give credit to the provider of the material you posted. But since you didn't I will do it for you.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/759885/joe_republican_joe_conservative_...

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 10:27 PM
  • Wheels,

I am disappointed. Here I thought we had a liberal posting who put a lot of work into expressing his opinion. Was looking forward to a bit of intellectual competition. Instead we just have a bit of cheap plagiarism!

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 10:31 PM
  • Careful Stnmsn8, this one claims to know Harry Truman. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 10:38 PM
  • Obviously written by a liberal, who believes that liberals are responsible for all that is good in the world. There is clean water in the tap because good men, conservative and liberal, work to ensure that such is the case. His medications, which come from a 'greedy' corporation, are safe because corporations know they can't sell product to dead people, and because they have a liability issue if they aren't.

Medical insurance came about largely due to World War II, when companies wanted to give their workers raises in order to keep them from going to other companies, but were forbidden from doing so because of liberal wage-freezes. They opted to give them raises through benefits, which were not frozen. You can think Hitler for that, more so than the unions. Even at their zenith, unions only represented about 1/3 of the U.S. workforce.

I could go on, but it's late, and it really doesn't matter. The liberals believe what they want to believe and the conservatives to likewise.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 10:41 PM
  • I've been looking in the mirror for 74 years and I can truthfully say I have not noticed any appreciable improvements in all that time. Same old ugly mug although possessing deminished hair.

However, will say I have been experiencing double vision lately and a reduced ability to read the printed words which seem to runs together of suddenly disappear.

However, My impatience with Liberals has not diminished in all those years.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 12:00 AM
  • "Really? Now you all know I fight for the underdog, but it is very hard to spar with a person(s) who is/are stubborn and intolerant. (Go ahead and point your finger at me, but the truth is...I am simply providing you with "food for thought".) I try very hard to disguise my suggestions and make them short, so Voyager doesn't lose his patience. Old John appears to see through things better than the rest of you. Shaps is the easiest to bait, but I enjoy it Shapley!

Point is, this article should make you think. (if you are capable of doing that on your own!) Sorry if that appears to be name calling..." posted by Theorist

Well I will give you this Theorist, you have a masterful way of spinning BS while believing you are right the entire time and justifying it.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 7:46 AM
  • Point is, this article should make you think. (if you are capable of doing that on your own!) Sorry if that appears to be name calling...

-- Posted by Theorist on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 6:28 AM

Theorist

Calling that cut and paste assembled mass of words an article shows your level of thinking.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 8:01 AM
  • The psychotic liberal thougt he knew what good water was so he created a baseline of water quality and forced the water works to meet it. All water companies that had gained a competitive advantage by improving their water quality stopped. Instead of improving their water quality, all water companies only concerned themselves with meeting the baseline. Since the water consumers' interests were no longer a concern, the companies began cutting costs associated with quality that would still meet the baseline. Some of the companies began to notice that all they had to do to meet the standard was to keep written records of their quality measurements. Since they began cutting their quality the measurements began to go beyond their limits so the record keepers began altering their measurements to meet the requirements. The increased costs associated with manning the new positions to deal with and pay off the baseline requlators did not offset the savings from significantly reducing the water quality so the water companies had to raise their rates.

So the psychotic liberal reduced the quality of water while raising the cost of it.

D49F11 has only succeeded in pointing out the flaw at the heart of the interventionist state, what economists call the Fatal Conceit.

-- Posted by uberfan20 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 8:30 AM
  • "Then Joe heads off to his government job because, well, all jobs are government jobs now since Bill Clinton signed the NAFTA agreement and Barack Obama has gotten unemployment to 37%. He can thank a liberal for that!

He is especially happy this week because it is the beginning of Chinese History Month. He can thank a liberal for that!

He is relieved to know that this week his 2nd grader is starting his s*x education classes at the liberal academy. He also feels good that his 7th grade son can get all the c*nd*ms he needs in the school bathroom. And he was so proud when his kindergartner came home last night singing 'mmm.. mmm.. mmm.. Barack Hussein Obama' - He can thank a liberal for that.

And he's glad the gov't bus picked him up this morning since gas is now $22.75 / gallon. He paid his bus fare with money printed in Iran. Since the US stopped the evil oil drilling under Obama. He can thank liberal for that!"

This is fun!!!

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 9:04 AM
  • Liberal dreamland....

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 9:20 AM
  • Don't know why so many people keep trying to turn everything into a liberal/conservative/good/bad discussion.

-- Posted by Acronym on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 9:27 AM
  • Acronym - excellent point. The ONLY reason any of this matters - liberal or conservative - is because of the growing size and influence of the federal government on private citizens.

If the government of the US had stayed within the limits the framers intended then

a) who is president and

b) what party is in control would matter much, much less.

The lobbyists, foreigners and others spend countless billions to influence our politicians because they, not us, control the country.

Liberals want to control more of your life - what you eat, what you can say, where you can go, how much you should get paid, what kind of car you can drive, when/how your kids will be educated -- on and on. People like Al Gore, Nancy Pelosi and Barack Obama are liberal elitist. They want to stop you from doing things that they themselves do repeatedly. "Do as I say, not as I do". Remember when Pelosi yelled at auto execs for flying to the congressional hearings and then demanded a larger government jet for herself to go home to San Fran? Or Al Gore criticizing Americans for their use of energy and then paying his $6,000/month utility bills for his 22,000 square foot mansion?

TRUE Conservatives want a smaller, limited government. More power to the state governments so we can move to other states if they get overbearing. Lower taxes and more personal accountability. I would rather live in a sink-or-swim environment then one in which my government coddles me and limits my freedoms.

This country is in a battle for direction. The pendulum has swung way left to the point that a few in this country are now paying for just over 1/2 to get a free ride. I read the Perryville paper every week and the liberals are constantly whining and trying to make everyone feel like they are victims. They meet regularly and write opinions every week. It truly is a fight for the minds of voters.

But again, if it weren't for the power and influence the US government has over it's citizens lib or conservative wouldn't matter.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 9:44 AM
  • -- Posted by Dug on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 9:44 AM

Dug, I have met very few "true conservatives".

I find labels such as liberal/conservative to be moving targets and ones of which the definitions seems to change depending on with whom you are speaking. They are used far more as pejoratives than descriptors.

I find most people decry government intervention only when it does not suit their own philosophy.

-- Posted by Acronym on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 10:47 AM
  • Acronym - Liberals do, for the most part, want a larger government to influence our lives. They are for more taxes and more "sharing the wealth". True conservatives want to be free to choose the food, job and direction of their life.

The main point of my post was this - NONE of this would matter if the gov't wasn't so large and intrusive. None of it. Truthfully? I wouldn't even post here anymore (and that would make a lot of people happy :-) if the government wasn't cornering my freedoms. I could care less who was in charge.

Liberals created the Dept of Energy and we are now more dependent of foreign oil than ever.

Liberals created the Dept of Education and our students have fallen lower in global rankings ever since.

Liberals created welfare and there are more people dependent on it, more African American families destroyed by it than ever before.

I remain anti-liberal. I only support republicans, in general, because we have a 2 party system and they are more conservative but not enough. Some democrats are more conservative than some republicans and I would vote for them in a heartbeat.

Sorry for the rambling... but this last election in 2010 was too much to bear and our country is in deep trouble because of liberal Republicans and liberal Democrats.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 11:21 AM
  • Just pointing out how silly your disjointed post was Theorist.

PS: It will take more than you have to threaten my rationale. Unless of course you have been holding something in reseerve, that we haven't seen yet.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 11:22 AM
  • Oh dear me.... "reseerve" that would be reserve.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 11:24 AM
  • Story begins and ends with a false premise.

-- Posted by Scott Horrell on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 11:34 AM
  • I liked the way Theorist threw in that Adidas, Wheels, Acronym, Rick, Dug AWARD with acronym in the middle. Quite clever!

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 12:04 PM
  • Theorist, It's a nice gesture to stroke the egos of the slower among us.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 1:36 PM
  • BCStoned - You couldn't be more wrong. Nearly all conservatives I know did not support "no child left behind" or your presidents "race to the top". As my post earlier pointed out these are state issues. I also didn't support the medicare "donut hole" drug program implemented by Bush.

As for the patriot act, the natl highway system, natl defense and some others I do support that. Who do YOU claim is a conservative?

What, exactly, is your point?

Talk, truly, is cheap.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 2:08 PM
  • The piece that started this thread conjurs up the old adage "The rooster taking credit for the dawn".

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 2:29 PM
  • -- Posted by Dug on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 11:21 AM

I certainly understand your frustration. In my youth, I was a "Liberal". Later I was a "Conservative". Now I don't know what the heck I am as it seems all too easy for me to find fault with both points of view in certain aspects.

While BCStoned and I may not agree on a lot, I also see the Patriot Act as an unnecessary intrusion on our freedoms and was opposed to the establishment of the Department of Homeland Security. Personnel could have been added to existing departments and any necessary statutory changes made on a case by case basis rather than the expansion in bureaucracy which took place.

We now have cases of small children being placed on the "no fly list" and a system in which people can be detained indefinitely by simply classifying them as "potential terrorists". Search and Seizure has been expanded.

Go pay for anything expensive in cash and see how long before you are visited to explain your actions.

It appears to me that Liberals like one kind of government expansion and Conservatives like another.

I am for going back to what our founding fathers envisioned, but I realize this is just a dream.

-- Posted by Acronym on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 2:40 PM
  • "Old john, I swear you are the only one who appreciates me...

-- Posted by Theorist on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 1:08 PM

That's because at his age you begin to appreciate every good bowel movement.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 3:18 PM
  • Or being able to reaad a line without a magnifying glass, Adidas.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 3:36 PM
  • Bush was no more a conservative than obama.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 3:41 PM
  • I don't think the conservatives called President Bush as conservative. I believe they said he was more conservative than his opponents. He was certainly more conservative than Al Gore.

Conservatives, in general do not favour growing government, but they are not libertarians. If they were, they would call themselves that, instead of 'conservative'. 'Conservative', by definition, implies an opposition to change. That implies an opposition to change in either direction - growing or shrinking government. They accept some changes as necessary, and some as acceptable, but by and large they favour a gradual, natural transition of things, rather than forced change.

(By the way, with reference to the opening post in this discussion, there was a 'conservation' movement, which shares its root 'conserve' with 'conservative', before there was an 'environmental' movement. Teddy Roosevelt was a noted conservationist. National Parks, and preservation of resources owe their beginnings to conservationists more so than environmentalists. Environmentalists are Johnny-come-latelies to the conservation game - but I digress.)

I've said before, the current course is taking us to Hell in a handbasket. Conservatives are just looking for a slower handbasket...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 3:53 PM
  • Bush was more conservative than Gore. Gore wasn't smart enough to know what not to claim to have invented.

Bush on the other hand was not smart enough to have invented anything to have claimed to have invented.

Obama ... oh lets not start on that.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 4:32 PM
  • Shap - maybe I am a libertarian... just don't know it :-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 6:14 PM
  • Really we need liberals. Who else is going to clean the porta potties?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 7:16 PM
  • "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But,

under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program,

until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened."

- Norman Thomas (US Socialist Presidential Candidate)

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 8:52 PM
  • "...due to World War II, when companies wanted to give their workers raises in order to keep them from going to other companies, but were forbidden from doing so because of liberal wage-freezes."

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 10:41 PM

In actuality, wage and price controls during WW II were implemented to prevent wartime profiteering, rather than some liberal plot. Could it have been that conservative "entrepreneurs" were more concerned with making money than patriotism?

"All water companies that had gained a competitive advantage by improving their water quality stopped."

-- Posted by uberfan20 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 8:30 AM

Almost all water companies are municipal utilities and do not compete with each other.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 9:53 PM
  • In 1881 a group of 22 men representing water utilities in several states met in St. Louis and founded the American Water Works Association, They lobbied for the laws that controlled pollution in water not some tree hugger.

Sorry but you saying a liberal did that is just not right.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 10:22 PM
  • Reading all of your posts is better than watching SNL!!!! LMAO

FYI: this was sent to me via email, did not know the original source, that's why I did not give credit. I do not go shooting off at the mouth/threads w/o know the facts.

Just thought this was funny... lots of people do not know how their bread gets buttered. ;-P

-- Posted by D49F11 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 10:33 PM
  • Must be careful what we pass on. Just because someone sent it out in an email does not make it so.

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 10:43 PM
  • In WW2 the rail unions were threatening to strike because the country could not afford disruption of shipments or movements of troops during the war.

The president pulled a Regan and told them to strike and he would replace all of them within 24 hours with troops. It was over.

Unions were going to take advantage during a tough war to increase their money. They showed their true colors then. My step father told me the story many times. He said thousand of troops lives were in jeopardy but the unioins didn't care.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 10:43 PM
  • Wrong again 'D'

You talk about liberals passed food safety laws.

Wrong. A republican congress passed the Pure Food and Drug Act was passed on June 30, 1906.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 10:54 PM
  • "He said thousand of troops lives were in jeopardy but the unioins didn't care."

The nation's railroads were seized May 17,1946 to head off a nationwide strike. Workers struck anyway on May 23, 1946 and only the president's threat to draft the strikers and call up the Army to run the railroads forced them back to work.

If possible, you may want to check with your step father again. The railroad strike occurred after the war was over.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 7:20 AM
  • Must be careful what we pass on. Just because someone sent it out in an email does not make it so.

-- Posted by stnmsn8 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 10:43 PM

Then why are you reading these threads? lol

-- Posted by D49F11 on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 7:55 AM
  • The only word that comes to mind is "dilusional". Democrats and liberals always telling you what is wrong and who is to blame. But as in the title, "look in the mirror". The truth is painful, yet still the truth.

-- Posted by jadip4me on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 8:20 AM
  • The first threat common. They didnt strike.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 8:50 AM
  • The only word that comes to mind is "dilusional". Democrats and liberals always telling you what is wrong and who is to blame. But as in the title, "look in the mirror". The truth is painful, yet still the truth.

-- Posted by jadip4me on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 8:20 AM

You must not watch FAUX news if you are dilusional enough to think Dems and Libs are the only ones who "telling you what is wrong and who is to blame."

You are correct about; " 'look in the mirror'. The truth is painful, yet still the truth." More people from all political and religious beliefs need to do more of this! including yourself!

-- Posted by D49F11 on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 8:55 AM
  • Common I left off the part that he doesnt know his own name any longer but you can go the the vets home and ask one of his friends.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 8:55 AM
  • Breaking a mirror brings seven years bad luck...or so we're told.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 9:39 AM
  • D49,

I read these threads because I know other intelligent people have opinions that differ with mine. When they explain their thought process and refer me to their sources I can look at things from a different perspective. On occasion I can be persuaded to change my opinion.

Ideologues merely repeat their opinions as if they were facts. Sometimes I ignore them; sometimes I lower myself to their level until I tire of the sport!

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 11:09 AM
  • It takes a while to teach and old dog new tricks. Beating the old dog with the newspaper of biased internet links of commentary and leaning news stories has little effect.

However my thoughts and opinions have slowly evolved a bit by reading and learning from fellow posters and I have learned to understand better why some beleive what I don't.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 1:47 PM
  • "Talk is cheap."

I've heard that, BC ... the problem is, when politicians 'talk,' they have to turn that talk into something that is probably unnecessary to the overall well-being of our country, but will cost a few million/billion dollars and will benefit mostly special-interest groups.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 5:42 PM
  • bias news stories... yeah, I read the southeast missourian too!

-- Posted by D49F11 on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 7:38 PM
  • D49,

I will not disagree with you concerning the bias of the Southeast Missourian. Perhaps this is the opportunity for you to produce a replacement for it. We need some competition; new blood; new ideas.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 8:27 PM
  • stnmsn8, he will need to learn how to construct a simple objective declarative semtemce first. Then of course raise several million dollars startup money if he can find anyone foolish enough to try.

Include me out.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 9:03 PM
  • The newspaper business is phasing out... not a good investment.

-- Posted by D49F11 on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 8:53 AM
  • Good luck with Right to Work, right-wingers...

Everyone is replaceable, and people can do your job cheaper.

-- Posted by D49F11 on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 8:33 PM
  • Good luck with Right to Work, right-wingers...

Everyone is replaceable, and people can do your job cheaper.

-- Posted by D49F11 on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 8:33 PM

So I will be replaced and somebody will work cheaper than me? If you are a good worker why would you worry? Now if you have 8 people and 6 can do it just as easy without 2 people killing time I understand.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 9:17 PM
  • Regret, When I took a part time job for reasons of a little purpose and life and a little extra cash, I think I did so to prove to myself and others that I could still repeat what I did so often many years ago, that is, walk into a place a be hired on the spot.

It only took a couple of days for the two guys doing a one man job syndrome to stick out like a set of windshield wipers on a goat's behind.

I saw oportunity and decided I would work my old has-been butt off and maybe be appreciated. That would be worth the low wage.

Didn't take long to realize the only thing management wants is for all employees to be peons.

And all the peons just want to be employees.

Is it something in the nature of anyone who owned a small business to notice waste and inefficiency?

I have been late leaving a traffic light because I was trying to figure out what that truck or person was needed for.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Mar 6, 2011, at 11:26 PM
  • I feel bad bursting your buble.

EPA regulates water and air. It was created by Nixon, a republican.

Food and drugs fall under the FDA, created by Republican Teddy Rosevelt.

The unions were once needed to provide safe work enviorments and fair wages. Other government agencies and litigation now exists making most of their protection irrelevant so Unions have grown to virus like status killing instead of protecting their industries.

Where is it you can breathe clean air and ride a subway? Also, why do you consider public transit "liberal". Its heavily supported by both parties.

Since when is vacation, hollidays and medical benefits only available at union shops?

Joe will probably still lose his house if he gets workman's comp. Joe should have bought a cheaper house or bought additional insurance.

FDIC is good and was a democratic measure. But also, the guy who introduced also tried to take voting rights away from blacks and publicly stated blacks were inferior. So that liberal what financial security, but only for white folks. Funny how you neglected to mention that part.

The fannie may loan helped Joe over extend himself, which helped cause the current house crisis.

Joe's dad's pension is the reason Joe's best friend is out of a job.

I can't stand talk radio. I hate ignorance. Most of it applies to the sonservatives on this board. So I am unbiased when I say you are no differnt that talk radio. You spew just as much ignorance.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 11:09 AM
  • Between Coolidge and Reagan neither party was home exclusive to liberal or conservative as some see it today.

Civil rights of the '60s were the result of Johnson following conservative idea of Kennedy and supported by conservatives in both parties.

I don't remember anyone strongly opposed to clean air legislation but some conservatives were against the wide powers it gave central government.

Lumbre I think, is correct in his assessment of the article.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 11:39 AM
  • I can think of a lot of names for name calling, but today have such a a bad case of lyarangitis cant even speak above a whisper.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 1:28 PM
  • Some things might evolve, some things might die, but always nice to know that some things never change.

-- Posted by Pups on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 2:17 PM
  • Hi Pups. Get back to work. Me and wheels are still depending on you!

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 4:12 PM
  • Good to see you back Pups. You have been gone a long time. Change.... no change on here. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 5:38 PM
  • Why does the Wisconsin governor seem intent on a reenactment of Custer's Last Stand? Most historians agree the hapless General was a victim of his own arrogance, ignorance and negligence. His arrogance led him to believe he was more than a match for a bunch of rowdy Indians. But Custer was ignorant of their strength and numbers. He neglected to belief his scouts, who warned he would encounter a pushback from the largest Indian force ever assembled on the plains. Some people still can not learn from their history class.

-- Posted by D49F11 on Mon, Mar 7, 2011, at 9:32 PM
  • And sleep tight, knowing we conservatives don't mind giving a little more of what we are working long hours to earn so that you can live the good life.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 10:20 PM

source: some bonehead who thinks he is always "Mr. Right" and everyone else is always wrong.

-- Posted by D49F11 on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 1:52 PM
  • The Indians won the battle. In the end, got crushed in the war. History 101 lesson.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 3:11 PM
  • source: some bonehead who thinks he is always "Mr. Right" and everyone else is always wrong.

-- Posted by D49F11 on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 1:52 PM

No D49, I actually agree with quite a few of the rational posters on here most of the time. Only the far out looneies are suspect.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 6:26 PM
  • okay Wheels, I understand, these threads are your exclusive club and you are the king and you decide who are the rational posters and who are the looneies.

-- Posted by D49F11 on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 8:48 PM
  • D49,

You are displaying your ignorance. Why embarrass yourself further?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 8:54 PM
  • Wheels

Since when did you get to be king? Just because you are down in Huey P. Long country (almost) doesn't make you King.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 9:07 PM
  • Regrets and Rick,

I been celebrating Mardi Gras all day. And I will be laying me down to sleep soon. Already had an hour nap since I got home.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown I have heard. I don't want to be King, I just want to continue being retired,

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 9:27 PM
  • Smart man.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 11:02 PM
  • King Wheels ... It does have a certain ring to it, doesn't it?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 1:01 AM
  • Gurus, Hard to hear what Wheels said, too much background noise, was that party bras or gawdy ma's he was talking about? :)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 1:30 AM
  • Rick,

I thought we were talking about George Custer, not Robert E. Lee?

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 6:02 AM
  • You are displaying your ignorance. Why embarrass yourself further?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Mar 8, 2011, at 8:54 PM

You should know Wheely Pooh, I'v been told you are not the sharpest tool in the shop... even though you claim to be by down grating other posters.

-- Posted by D49F11 on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 9:22 AM
  • You should know Wheely Pooh, I'v been told you are not the sharpest tool in the shop... even though you claim to be by down grating other posters.

-- Posted by D49F11 on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 9:22 AM

DR49

Don't recall ever claiming to be the sharpest tool in the shed or wherever... uhhhhh, that would be downgrading instead of down grating.

I stand on what I said... why embarrass yourself further?

Why don't you give us a Robin Carnahan report instead of trying to intimidate me?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 10:02 AM
  • uhhhhh, that would be downgrading instead of down grating.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 10:02 AM

I guess you have never posted a typo Wheels.... uhhhh!

"I stand on what I said... why embarrass yourself further?"-Wheels

Source: Have_Wheels_Will_Travel

-- Posted by D49F11 on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 10:52 AM
  • These people think the spending is OK and call the others a dull tool. You have to be a leech to think all is going well.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 11:05 AM
  • 'Yellow Hair' definitely was not "the best commander, general, war tactician".

He is very popular now but a headstrong man with a gift for self-promotion (like some so-called leaders we have now)

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 11:13 AM
  • Custer distinguished himself in battle during the Civil War, from Bull Run to Appomattox. It is probably also true that he was ambitious, as he has been portrayed in several films (Little Big Man being one of the better known, but that is the usual Hollywood image.

It was because of his successes in the Civil War that he was sent to fight the Indian Wars.

He was very popular in his day, but his image has suffered as the U.S. Government's treatment of Native American's has undergone considerable scrutiny. Custer's image, because he came to epitomize that treatment, became a casualty of that scrutiny.

His successes as a Civil War officer have been overshadowed by his failure at Little Big Horn.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 11:25 AM
  • DR49,

:)~

☺ ☻ ☺ ☻

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 11:48 AM
  • ...Why embarrass yourself further?

source: Have_Wheels_Will_Travel

-- Posted by D49F11 on Wed, Mar 9, 2011, at 9:50 PM
  • The Battle at Little Big Horn or Battle of the Greasy Grass is a very interesting one and one on which there has been and always will be disagreement. The roles of Reno and Benteen, failure to reinforce in time and so one are but one area. It should also be noted that whiles troops under Custer were defeated Benteen was able to withstand the attacks.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 6:10 AM
  • Spartacus and Leonidus also died in futile battles, but remain endeared in our memories. Custer has fallen victim to a collective sense of guilt. He was no saint, but he was no devil, either.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 8:24 AM
  • Rick, the "Native Americans" also "destroyed villages, killing women, children, and the old." Tribes were waring against each other long before Custer was born or any white men stepped foot on this land mass.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 8:37 AM
  • The History of War is the History of Man.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 8:45 AM
  • "War is the father fo all things and the king of all; and some he has made gods and some men, some bond and some free." Heraclitus of Ephesus

"War is like love, it always finds a way" Berthold Brecht

"War is the strength of life" William James

"Human nature will make you fight. Everyone is subject to human nature" Bhagavad Gita

"The whole earth, perpetually steeped in blood, is nothing but an immense altar on which every living thing must be sacrificed without end, without restraint, without respite until the consummation of the world, the extinction of evil, the death of death." Joseph de Maistre

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 9:00 AM
  • I try not to confuse non aggression with pacifism.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 9:00 AM
  • The waging of war is some men's best talent.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 10:06 AM
  • War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." .... John Stuart Mill.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 10:28 AM
  • "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected can never taste." - Unknown -

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 10:46 AM
  • Man cannot build if his property is taken from him by force or he relinquishes it willingly to avoid conflict.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 11:02 AM
  • Note....all quotes were male, I think that is significant.

-- Posted by Theorist on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 11:52 AM

"When liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When it is relinquished voluntarily by default it can never be recovered." Dorothy Thompson (1893-1961)

-- Posted by BCStoned on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 11:50 AM

Yeah, pretty much here too. I will respond to aggression. My only point is that sometimes war is necessary to preserve freedom.

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. ~Albert Einstein

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 12:05 PM
  • -- Posted by Theorist on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 12:14 PM

I will try again.

"When liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When it is relinquished voluntarily by default it can never be recovered." Dorothy Thompson

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 12:27 PM
  • There are ways of fighting for something without using physical aggression.

-- Posted by Theorist on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 11:52 AM

Should we have set up talks with Japan?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 12:32 PM
  • -- Posted by Theorist on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 1:13 PM

Actually, we, the US, was talking with the Japanese right up until the time Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 3:18 PM
  • Or at the least, Theorist, after Hiroshima and before Nagasaki ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 3:47 PM
  • Acceptance of the Potsdam Declaration was an option open to the Japanese which would have prevented both.

After the Hiroshima bombing, Truman issued a statement: "If they do not now accept our terms, they may expect a rain of ruin from the air, the like of which has never been seen on this earth. Behind this air attack will follow sea and land forces in such numbers and power as they have not yet seen and with the fighting skill of which they are already well aware."

On August 9th, three days after the Hiroshima bombing, Nagasaki was bombed. Japan could have prevented this.

I guess the bombing of both will always be debated. There seems to be little doubt however that too many civilians were killed on all sides during WWII and no one has clean hands.

-- Posted by Acronym on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 4:07 PM
  • gurusmom,

We tried. They still refused to surrender. Which kind of proves what we are talking about and the mentality of evil people.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 4:10 PM
  • Theorist, Just after Pearl Harbor was attacked, a large lobby sought to give the Japanese a chance to condem the action as that of a rouge group of military extemists.

They were warned through several channels of the impending destruction the U.S. was capable of delivering. Doolittle gave them reason to know the threat could be delivered.

Stalin knew more about the atomic bomb than did Truman upon his oath of office. I think Truman had little choice in the matter given the facts at hand. A land invasion would cost as many or more lives and a lot of those lives would be American military leaving the U.S vulnerable.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 5:57 PM
  • As the island-hopping campaign in the Pacific neared Japan the casualties multiplied on both sides. Japan had its citizenry prepared to fight to the death if/when Japan was invaded. Estimates of casualties were already prepared; and they were enormous.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were terrible but that is what it took to convince the emperor of Japan to surrender. The invasion against a prepared enemy with citizens prepared to fight house to house would have been terrible. And there were no 'smart bombs'. It would have all been house to house fighting.

My dad went through thirty days of hell in Iwo Jima and already had his orders posted for the invasion of Japan. If the A bombs had not persuaded Japan to surrender a great slaughter was about to begin.

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Mar 10, 2011, at 8:37 PM
  • It's worth pointing out that both Nagasaki and Hiroshima are thriving metropolises today. Have we be lied to about 'permananent uninhabitability' resulting from nuclear wars? Was that all a scare tactic based on an exaggeration of facts? How does this compare to the current scare tactics of the environmentalists?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Mar 11, 2011, at 8:08 AM
  • Have we be lied to about 'permananent uninhabitability' resulting from nuclear wars? Was that all a scare tactic based on an exaggeration of facts? How does this compare to the current scare tactics of the environmentalists?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Mar 11, 2011, at 8:08 AM

I thought the program I saw about a week or so ago that compared Hiroshima to Detroit was very interesting.

There were pictures of Hiroshima after the bombing and Detroit as a grand city in the same time frame.

They then showed Hiroshima today and Detroit today.

Maybe there was a message there.... it doesn't take an atomic bomb to destroy a city. Fifty or so years of L. Johnson's "Great Society" and our ever increasing liberal policies can do much the same thing.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Mar 11, 2011, at 9:00 AM
  • Japan is not looking all that good this morning.

What will it mean in terms of global economic stability?

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Mar 11, 2011, at 9:58 AM
  • Japan will pop right back but you can guarantee Obama wants to give them a few billion to make us feel better.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Mar 11, 2011, at 10:25 AM

Respond to this thread