Speak Out: Question: Could America ever consider a good idea from another country?

Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 12:28 AM:

Excerpts from 'A lesson from across the pond' from a few days ago, mentioning that Ireland & Poland are cutting the number of government employees, and other nations considering similar cuts:

"It all revolves around cutting the public sector. It's time to try it here.

"Federal workers made on average $64,871 in 2007, with private sector workers making a meager $44,362, so public sector wages in the federal system are 46 percent higher. ... these differences don't take into account the excessive fringe benefits enjoyed by public sector workers.

"... the Irish are on to something. By facing the reality of their situation head-on and acting in a responsible manner, they are far more likely to weather the financial storm than are the compulsive spenders in the US."

Ah, but ... whenever governments here in America start talking about cutting their excessive employee rolls ... the common outcry is ... "the loss of jobs" and the fallout from that.

Perhaps what government officials, from local to federal, might at the least consider is maintaining the current employee numbers and reducing their wages AND benefits to be in line with the private sector ... rather than the norm of increasing the number of employees for one excuse or the other?

Replies (15)

• "Question: Could America ever consider a good idea from another country?"

LOL! Now you know the posters in THIS forum wouldn't even consider this.

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:10 AM
  • Didn't you know?

The US is #1 in everything. We are the best. We have no poverty, no crime, no health problems. Unlimited energy. Every day is sunny here.

We have nothing left to learn from anyone. We should be forcing our perfect way of life on everyone else.

-- Posted by FriendO on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 9:26 AM
  • This is already being done in some departments on the federal and state level.

-- Posted by D'oh on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 9:59 AM
  • FriendO,

Well said. Ohh and welcome to the "Every poster that opposes republicans in this forum is actually just the same poster" club.

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 10:16 AM
  • They think we use multiple names;

I think they all share one brain.

-- Posted by FriendO on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 12:19 PM
  • "I think they all share one brain."

-- Posted by FriendO on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 12:19 PM

Think? Ohh...I know for a fact they do. ;o) Bachman's calling for them to slit their wrists.

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 12:29 PM
  • FriendO, I think we've been doing that for generations: "We have nothing left to learn from anyone. We should be forcing our perfect way of life on everyone else." I'm reading your comment from my own tongue-in-cheek way of sometimes stating things. I love sarcasm!

Exactly, James ... "If those jobs produced these things ... Government debt and taxes tie up capital that would improve the economic well-being of Americans." And that is the main point for reduction: "Only if that idea reduced the size and scope of government."

Is that true, Wiffle? Ten employees for every 100 citizens? If so, it's worse than I realized. Was reading that our government still has several hundred top positions to 'fill,' on top of the ones already 'hired.' Seems that more care is being taken to vet people (finally!). Thinking we'd be absolutely floored if we know how many just 'top' people we employ ... let alone all the clerical and other staff.

We've sort of been 'sleeping at the wheel' as our government grew into what has become rather a monster ... a money pit designed to keep us enslaved.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 3:06 PM
  • Going to be embarrassed if it turns out I've responded to one of the multiple-personalities! ~sigh~

At any rate ... wish someone would actually come up with a strong plan to get a majority of the taxpayers to endorse a huge reduction of our federal government ... I'd had such silly hopes of that happening ... And I hate disappointments almost as much as I hate being lied to!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 3:12 PM
  • Gurusmom,

Isn't UHC an idea from another country? Thinking it would be up to one's approach if it is a good or bad idea. ;)

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 3:43 PM
  • Mr Wiffle,

So it is an extimate not a fact then??? ;)

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 4:09 PM
  • Does the estimate of ten per one hundred include military personnel?

Is this ten per one hundred in the workforce or the total population?

-- Posted by D'oh on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 4:15 PM
  • Ireland and Poland you say?

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 7:25 PM
  • Isn't UHC an idea from another country? Thinking it would be up to one's approach if it is a good or bad idea. ;)

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 3:43 PM

Absolutely ... But on the other hand ... it seems our government just has to sort of re-invent the wheel ... like, instead of taking other countries' health care programs and assessing what has worked and/or hasn't ... Still, a good point about UHC not being 'our idea.' And perhaps the title of the thread is rather misleading?

BN ... until and unless the reductions in governments start toward the top of the chain, I'll tend to be at least a little skeptical of their efforts. Haven't read anything, actually, about reductions in federal payroll. Can you direct me to further information? I'd appreciate it, really.

Hmm ... does anyone, even the president, even know how many employees our federal government has? Well, surely someone does ... Maybe whoever oversees the payroll? ~grinning~

Aw, James ... I really don't think I've read the Articles of Confederation ... although there's something niggling in the back of the brain that tells me I may have, at some point in time.

All moot anyway ... It would take a very major uprising of the American people for any truly serious and major changes to be made. That will never happen ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 9:03 PM
  • Um...I uh.

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Sep 2, 2009, at 9:42 PM
  • Gurusmom,

Kind of lost interest on these things due to overall lack of civility, but will respond. Yes, it has to come from "the top" and through legislation as the cuts of which I am aware are the result of budget cuts rather than a change in philosophy.

Some cuts however result in decreased public safety as is evidenced in the case in California and the kidnapped girl. Parole supervision is almost non existent in many states with Missouri being one of the worst except on the federal level.

-- Posted by D'oh on Thu, Sep 3, 2009, at 8:40 AM

Respond to this thread