Speak Out: And that my friends is the real question!

Posted by Old John on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 12:55 AM:

Charcoal or gas? :)

Replies (68)

• Get out the Bromo-Seltzer!

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 3:56 AM
  • Charcoal. I get enough gas after eating the bbq

-- Posted by Knoblickian on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 6:27 AM
  • Charcoal

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 7:28 AM
  • Kingsford and other "charcoal" brands contain coal, oil, limestone, starch, sawdust and petroleum products. Using natural hardwood charcoal is by far safest and best for you health.

Using lighter fluid is a huge NO NO! As for gas, I don't own a gas smoker or grill and wouldn't.

In my opinion the main advantage to a gas grill is convienence. Charcoal sears meat quickly, creating a crusty, caramelized exterior and smoky flavor that you can't achieve by cooking over gas. I am no expert but do have over 50 trophies two of which are Grand Champion, for cooking over hardwood in BBQ contest in the tri-state area. If you want convienence buy a gas smoker or grill. If not, do the old fashioned way and purchase a charcoal smoker or grill. Both will require maintenance.

Charcoal grills and smokers are usually cheaper.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 8:51 AM
  • This is what I use at home. Got it for Daddy Day 4 years ago. I can control the temp perfectly. Heavy but worth it.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs_L.html

Before that was a old water heater tank made into a smoker that finally burned through after 25 years. I really miss that one.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 9:12 AM
  • We regret, I know several friends who have the "greenegg" smoker. They love it. Expensive but indeed a great addition for any outdoor cooking enthusiast. It looks great on a deck or patio as well. Cooks very well in cold winter temps too.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 9:32 AM
  • MICRO-WAVE!!!☺☺☺!

Sorry, OJ---couldn't stand the tension!

But seriously: Charcoal. Although I don't cook-out(intentionally!)any more---charcoal over gas, 3-to-1. Gas faster, cleaner---but it ain't the same.

GREYWOLF makes a good-point. The first-thing merchants shove at you around here, is that danged "processed, easy-to-light"-crap. But honestly, I don't know where one can get "real"-charcoal, anymore? But then again, it's been YEARS-ago, for me.

Anybody know of a relatively-local supplier of real, un-adulterated, hardwood-charcoal? Order it, if you must!

I know it ain't cheap---but the difference to me was(still would be!) worth it...!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 9:57 AM
  • Regrets

The Easter Bunny laid me a Big Green Egg the Saturday before Easter. Not much experience using it yet but what I have done so far has turned out well. Have never tasted a better beef roast than the one done on it. I use one of the electronic meat thermometers with the remote probe and you can complete dinner to the desired degree of done very easily.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 10:06 AM
  • Wolf,

Fifty trophies??? You're no expert? Wow.... Congratulations!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 10:11 AM
  • Donknome,

Royal Oak lump charcoal is 100% natural and can be purchased at Wally-world and many other locals in the area. I use it regularly and it is very easy to light. I use a propane weed burner to light mine. Newspaper also works very well. I will say that it burns quicker but very easy to add as needed.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 10:15 AM
  • Thanks Have wheels W T. I must say though that they were all a team effort. We retired last year after cooking in the music fest. We had never taken a first place in beef brisket until then.

We figured since we had several first place trophies in the other categories ( ribs, butts, strip steaks, hamburgers and chicken) that after 16 years of cooking in cook-offs we would retire.

Of course much like Brett Favre we may just change are minds..:)

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 10:21 AM
  • Wolf,

Bet you guys had a lot of fun doing the cookoffs.

Old John,

Forgot to answer the question.

Charcoal... Pass gas.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 10:41 AM
  • I don't mean to muddy the waters but I use an electic smoker I purchased at Sams club . In my opinion it is impossible to mess up whatever it is you want to cook. It is affordable- approximately $200-$250, electric so I dont have to worry about charcoal or gas, Just put a pan of water in it, turn it on set the temperature and cook time and add your choice of wood chips -hickory, oak, applewood, etc. With my large family I normally marinate chicken the night before and and start cooking around 10 am the next morning and the food is ready for lunch, very juicy and packed full of flavor, my only complaint is it does require a good cleaning soon after due to all the moisture involved in the cooking process. I have had several friends see this cooker in action and immediately go to Sams the next day and buy it- here is the link if interested- http://www.masterbuilt.com/prod-smokers-digital.html

-- Posted by J Purcell on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 10:53 AM
  • Unless there is pleasant weather, comfortable chairs, cold drinks, friends and converation, I find myself taking the easy way out with beef over gas. I have never learned to cook pork on the gas grill. I usually cover and cook long at low temp in the oven and then finish with sauce on the gas grill.

I got a cheap charcoal smoker after seeing a buddy load his early in the morning, go fishing and come back to perfect meat 5 hours later.

Never worked for me. I now have a smoker with the off set firebox. I start a small fire of dry sticks to get the charcoal going and then clip off a few green hickory twiggs to toss in for extra smoke.

If anyone wants to bring their meat and skills and try to teach me, I'll supply the BS! ;)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 11:28 AM
  • Jay, nothing wrong with a good electric smoker. Not at all permissible in most BBQ cook_offs. You are allowed electric if it runs a rottisere or to light the wood or charcoal but not to cook the meat. I have several friends too that have electric smokers and indeed they do a decent job.

I prefer the mystic of a fire under my meat!..wonder what comments that statement will bring..:) Just a side note: for those of you who use a smoker try grabbing some bark off a "shaggy bark hickory tree" and use it instead of hickory chips. You can either soak them for 15 minutes or simply use them dry. You might be surprised at how sweet your meat will taste after smoking. These shaggy bark hickory trees are common all over our area. Taking the bark does not harm the tree.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 11:42 AM
  • Another tip when smoking ribs: Always remove the clear skin off the bone side of the rack. A screwdriver forced under the membrane will do the job. Get it started and then use a paper towel to pull it and it will come right off with little effort. Then soak meat in Coke (not diet and don't substitute with off brand) overnight. Cook ribs low and slow for several hours. Try some appricot nectar for basting every 45 minutes or so. Never use BBQ SAUCE during the cooking process as it will carmelize and burn too easily.

I prefer dry ribs anyway. Sauce can be added at the table.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 11:51 AM
  • If anyone wants to bring their meat and skills and try to teach me, I'll supply the BS! ;)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 11:28 AM

I could help you in that department Old John, not too eager to test my skills with some of the experts, but I could try to hold my own with you. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 11:53 AM
  • Greywolf, Thanks for the tips. I got one of those [we call it scaley bark] a 100 feet from my smoker.

I've used Coke and onions to marinate tough beef cuts.

Anyone know if the original Blue Hole sauce is still available?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 12:00 PM
  • Wolf,

At this point I feel a disclamor is in order. It goes as follows:

I will not be resonsible for the hints and ideas I steal off this thread.

I already copied the last two to my Food and Drink folder.

Keep them comng.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 12:01 PM
  • Me'Lange, I don't remember his name, but remember when he still made it and bottled it at his house. Not sure if it was ever marketed other than local.

I've learned to mix up a pretty close mock up of Strawberry's shake on but never could figure out what gave the Blue Hole it's distinction. Dexter BBQ sauce reminds me of it.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 1:24 PM
  • I always wanted to try cooking on a cedar plank like Emeril Lagassi but none of my neighbors have cedar shingles. :)

I have coated beef steak with mustard and flame grilled it. Didn't turn out like the recipe claimed.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 2:53 PM
  • hickory wood works best for me , i use stored animal fat to light the fire . i use a ring of stones for the pit .

i always do the silly family tradition , thank the animal for giving it's life to help feed mine .

JMHO...gas grills make meat tastes rock-ish , charcoal grills makes meat taste like soot..

-- Posted by Rick* on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 6:12 PM
  • Given my rule that anything taking longer to cook than to eat generally ain't worth it - then taking the advice of a well-known animated purveyor of basic observation and common sense - the use of propane and propane accessories is the way to go! :-)~

Charcoal does lend well to the overall laid-back BBQ experience. The chimney thing where one stuffed a double sheet of newspaper underneath to light it off, and when the coals on top turned white, it was time to drop the pin, lift the chimney off, spread the coals and cook, provided much better results than using lighter fluid. Provided a self-pacing mode, in that when lighter fluid was used - about the time the food was pulled off in various stages between raw and burnt averaging out to medium well done, was when the fire was really right to start.

Always heard rumors that the Royal Oak plant west of Van Buren had a shop that sold seconds in a 50lb bag for like $2 - don't know if true, but for the charcoal purists - may be worth checking out?

One of the older Topix comments suggested that Blue Hole BBQ sauce was available at Esicar's???? Always loved Blue Hole's frozen Cokes - a smoothy consistency that I haven't been able to find an equal to.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 8:04 PM
  • fxpwt, Been there done that many times, the part about the coals just right to start cooking as I took up the food. I have a lot of respect for those with patience and a plan.

Rick, I have used the meat grease as lighter too. Works for me.

Me'Lange, Showing my age? How long has it been since Henny Penny? :) Wonder if Voyager remembers the fellow of legend at the original Blue Hole. Maybe exagerated but I heard he could remember what you ordered up to five years back.

Wheels, No test required, just kidding about bringing the meat. Maybe Regret and Donk can talk Greywolf and Jay to bring Knoblick. If BC brings a possum and Rick comes with one on the half shell we'll be ready to entertain guests. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 9:31 PM
  • Old John,

If BC brings a possum and either Rick or Regrets shows up with one on the half shell, I may just bring a couple of those Trail Mix fruit and nut bars in my pocket.

I have eaten some pretty strange stuff in my lifetime, but to this date no possum has ever crossed my lips.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 9:52 PM
  • Wheels, I figured on asking Theorist to be the official taste tester.

Down the road way back one neighbor invited the other and served a roast and all agreed it was the best. They didn't talk to one another for months after the invitees found out it was ground hog. That's a true story and I bet you knew the invitees.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 10:20 PM
  • Never use BBQ SAUCE during the cooking process as it will carmelize and burn too easily.

Amen!

I am a fan of vinegar based sauce myself. The overnight marinade is the trick. I vacuum marinade mine. If people knew what is used by some of the cooks they would never believe it. I have a friend that uses processed lemon and orange peels.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 10:32 PM
  • Regret, A-one sauce has raisens. Greywolf suggests apricot, I've added grape jelly to homemade sauce. Coffee and chocolate is also not unheard of as flavorings.

I'm told a mixture of vinagar, salt and sugar makes the meat absorb the smoke better. I have done that too. I do it like I do chili, never the same way twice. I'll bet the award winners use the same technique but remember what didn't work.:)

I'm beginning to think it is more about the dedication and passion than the methods.

Spending a small fortune to create in the back yard what you could get at the take out window to impress your guests is probably money well spent in the whole scheme of things!

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 11:02 PM
  • Theorist as the official taster you say.... Hmmmmmm! ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

Never heard of the groundhog dinner, but you are probably right about knowing the involved neighbors.

I had an uncle by marriage that reportedly had a goat roast periodically. Never could understand why we were never invited. But as I think back over the situation, there is a good possibility that my parents may have declined the invitation because they knew what was going to be served.

I had some goat meat served in some kind of stew one time when we were on a group trip. That was the toughest piece of meat I ever had in my mouth. I chewed and I chewed and that piece of meat got bigger and bigger. I knew better than to try and swallow it and being seated with a group it was hard to get it out of my mouth unnoticed. I finally suceeded in getting rid of it before I choked.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 11:07 PM
  • Guys,

It was already on my agenda to do some ribs today. This thread worked in nicely. I did them with only a dry rub. I never put sauce on them while cooking. Never did like cleaning up the grill after using sauce and rarely even use it at the table. About 3 hours at around 240 - 250 degrees and they were falling off the bone tender.

Used some Barrel Chips from Jack Daniels to flavor them. Tomorrow I think I will do a beef brisket.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 11:16 PM
  • The most famous goat roast I know of was right after my uncle brought home a new pick-up and the goat jumped up on the hood an kicked out the windshield.

The goat burgers at the Puxico home coming are famous too.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, May 14, 2011, at 11:20 PM
  • Old John

Bet your uncle relished every bite of that goat roast. :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 1:11 AM
  • I have both a charcoal grill & a gas grill. Love charcoal, but can't beat the ease of gas, especially when it is 12 degrees outside & I still love to bbq.

"Never use BBQ SAUCE during the cooking process as it will carmelize and burn too easily.

"

eh that's a general rule. It isn't the BBQ sauce itself that causes it to char. It is the sugar. Certain styles have A LOT of sugar where it would be true, others have little to no sugar so there isn't a problem. Also even heavy sugar sauces can be used during cooking you just have to wait until the last 5-15 minutes depending on how hot your fire is.

-- Posted by futile_rant on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 4:03 AM
  • I worked with a guy years ago who lived on 177. He told the story of being at a tavern just outside the city limits. One of the guys had shot and skinned a coyote, leaving the carcass hanging out back. A woman came in and asked for the carcass, which they were happy to provide. She came back about a week later looking for another.

Said, "that was the best goat I ever had!"

True story. Definitely charcoal or wood.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 9:10 AM
  • OK, I feel obliged to thank EVERYONE for the advice, sources of REAL-charcoal, etc. Made my day/weekend, if only in the memories!

(Except for WHEELS, and that "Goat-Meat-Stew"---man, I was chokin'-along with ya' on that-one!☺) Oh no, the GOAT is good! But like WHEELS-did---just don't "over-estimate" your hunger, so to speak!

I'm the same-way with chicken/turkey breast white meat, which 99% of folks consider "THE"-dish of kings. Chokes-me to no-end, as much as I hate to admit.

I miss the "camaraderie" of by-gone cookout days! Unfortunately, I've outlived/lost track of any comrades of those days.

Hmm. Maybe it was because I was the cook? That'd explain the "lost track of"???

And, possibly the "outlived"-angle, as well...???☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 10:34 AM
  • Hmm. Maybe it was because I was the cook? That'd explain the "lost track of"???

And, possibly the "outlived"-angle, as well...???☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 10:34 AM

You saying you thinned out the herd Donknome-2? ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

Seriously, I would eat your cooking.... well as long as you tried it first anyway. :-)~

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 10:47 AM
  • A cousin one time killed a couple of small hogs and hung them in the metal grain bin and kept a low hickory fire under them all night and we were all invited to come after church.

We found the meat was no where close to done so 3 or 4 hurried off and returned with charcoal grills.

The meal was later than planned but it was sooo good!

Me'Lange, I understand the meat is put on the shingle and then placed over flame and the damp wood chars enough to smoke but not burn.

It really doesn't sound good to me but is one of his signature dishes.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 11:03 AM
  • I love whole hog!

I've tasted one where the hog (which was probably about 400lbs) was split in half down the middle, gutted, and they cooked it in a smoker @ 200-250 degrees for like 20 hours. EXCELLENT meat.

-- Posted by futile_rant on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 11:16 AM
  • Futile,

One neighborhood I lived in did that every year as a community thing. We lived on cul de sacs and did it down on the creek where the yards came together. My yard was in the corner where we came together. Started the process about 6:00PM or so the eve before Memorial Day and ate about 5:00 PM on Memorial Day. Those were good times. Everybody got together and sang to the pig before he was put on the rotisserie with an apple in his mouth over an open fire .

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 11:23 AM
  • Wheels , you've never tried possum ?

it's a little stringy but not as greasy as coon .

many a fullmoon night we took our gunny sacks , flashlights , and dogs to catch a possum in the persimmon tree patch . if it's cooked right , possum will warm the belly..☺

-- Posted by Rick* on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 1:18 PM
  • Rick, I lost my appetite for possum after I saw a small herd of 'm crawling out of a really rank cow carcus. That's not to say I wouldn't eat possum. I've ate a lot of crow in my time but possum has more nutrition.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 1:26 PM
  • Old John

one thing is certain , the possums crawling out of that carcass will be good and fat , possibly feed a family of 4...

-- Posted by Rick* on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 1:40 PM
  • if it's cooked right , possum will warm the belly..☺

-- Posted by Rick* on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 1:18 PM

Hmmmmm! I'll take your word for it Rick. Since I know you as an honorable person there will be no need for me to try it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 2:59 PM
  • We use to pit roast goat all the time. My buddies and I had a farmer we pitched hay for (cheap) that gave us three or four every year. We dug the pit and used a piece of pig wire as a rack and covered the pit with a piece of barn metal. Now that was good eating.

But nothing beats a good Dove fry!

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 3:53 PM
  • Regret, I love cabrito (kid goat) the way it is prepared in the Mexican restaurants here in Texas. Goat meat is consumed by 75% of the world's population. It is lower in cholesterol, saturated fat, and calories than beef, pork or chicken.

Goat has 50% less fat than beef. Goat has as much protein and more iron than beef. Goat is lower in saturated fat than even skinless chicken. Goats eat less and take up less space.

The only problem with goat however, as you know, it has to be cooked very slow with low heat or else it will be too dry. Cooked properly it is excellent.

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 6:04 PM
  • Matter of fact, THOUGHT---isn't "good"-pepperoni usually made of goat-meat? Seriously!?

WHEELS: I may have thinned-'em out, indeed---but, by-gar, they wuz fed-good first!☺

OJ & RICK: Not that many years ago, I could still make a pretty-fair Groundhog Stew, with taters, onions, carrots---well, you know---STEW!!! Especially with a "modern" crock-pot! Can't ask for a much cleaner animal, since they're "green-eaters", only.(I'm too stoopid to spell "herbivores"!☺) And, it was SAFER than turkey-AND-deer hunting, from MY-perspective!

Never was a big-fiend for 'coon & 'possum, but just like everyone else: I wouldn't turn it down, if I was hungry...

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 6:33 PM
  • Thought Criminal

We tried wrapping it with foil one time and it cooked way to fast and turned into rubber. I guess the foil trapped the heat. We put the wood on each end and under the meat we kept an old shell sign full of water.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 8:27 PM
  • Going off-topic a bit - all this talk about goat reminds me of the employee Christmas dinner at the Greek-owned pizza place I worked at.

Way behind, trying to wrap things up before the early closing time - made a pizza between deliveries to help the cooks gitterdun. Went to sling it in the oven, the top one was full. Saw the bottom one was lit - hmmm, unusual, but what the heck - gots a party to get to. Flipped the door open, went to slide the paddle in, when I saw two eyes and a big smile looking back at me - duh-yamn, just about an underwear-changing event.

Turned out to be no worries - Mrs. Alex was just cooking the traditional Christmas goat for the dinner. Following a good deal of ouzo, some opa's, and a lotta plate breaking - all was forgiven, er, forgotten. :-)

-- Posted by fxpwt on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 8:41 PM
  • ouzo is liquid morphine .

i've helped many folks out of bars , one person on either side of them , their toes dragging the floor...

-- Posted by Rick* on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 9:31 PM
  • Not that long ago in small town where I lived, we took our empty propane bottles with our names on them and left them on the sidewalk by the home owned bank on Saturday mornings and returned that afternoon to find them full.

Monday after work we stopped by the office of our propane dealer and paid the $5 charge for refilling. Now all my tanks are empty and I am expected to trade them for full ones at 5 times the price. So now I am considering a fixed location for a natural gas grill.

Charcoal makes sense considering that.

But the last time I thought about it, for what I paid for the ribs, charcoal, and sauce and figuring my results... pick up some ready to eat and go makes sense too.

As I said before, I think the main reason to do it yourself is to enjoy friends during the process.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, May 15, 2011, at 11:52 PM
  • OJ

You can't get the fresh off the grill taste though. I think the anticipation while cooking it is one reason it tastes so good..

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, May 16, 2011, at 12:38 AM
  • Regret, Heck if I'm cooking just for us, I eat most of my half right off the grill.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, May 16, 2011, at 12:44 AM
  • Same here. I gotta get to sleep. Long day tomorrow and I'm wide awake.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, May 16, 2011, at 12:54 AM
  • OJ-there are still places to get the tanks filled. That "trading" of tanks is convenient, but very expensive. I have my camper tanks done at at camper place close to me. If you go to the gas stations, most of the time you will pay more. Gotta find a place off the beaten path. I pay per gallon instead of weight and it is much less.

-- Posted by Knoblickian on Mon, May 16, 2011, at 8:21 AM
  • COOP Jackson.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, May 16, 2011, at 9:56 AM
  • Old John, were you originally asking about cook or driving an automobile. During World War II some Europeans used charcoal to power cars.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, May 16, 2011, at 10:52 AM
  • Voyager, I didn't know that. I knew the Germans had a method to keep gasoline engines going without gasoline, wood, coal or something converted. Did that idea have anything to do with Henry Ford developing charcoal?

COOP, I knew that but just didn't think of it. Thanks

Knob, How many gallons is 20 pounds, can it vary with pressure?

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, May 16, 2011, at 11:07 AM
  • OJ-I'll make a call and try to find out. I have 30 gal tanks on the camper. Don't often fill a smaller one. I don't think it would vary.

-- Posted by Knoblickian on Mon, May 16, 2011, at 11:12 AM
  • Flying J, if you are down below Sikeston also fills RV tanks. Cannot remember the exit at the moment.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, May 16, 2011, at 11:14 AM
  • Old JOhn,

I believe that would be 4.22 lbs/gal at 60 degrees.

Hereis a chart that will tell you more thsn you ever wanted to know about fuels.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/pdfs/fueltable.pdf

Did not see charcoal on there. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

Be very careful that someone does not fill your tank over 80% full of liquid. And yes I know that modern tanks have overfill devices on them which should prevent this. But in case of filling too fast you can get by that device. I had it happen to me twice when the attendants main interest was git-er-dun. Happened once in St. Charles and once in Advance. Takes quite a while to bleed the tank off safely. Most larger tanks have a bleed valve that can be opened bleeding a small amount of vapor until liquid appears. That indicates a safe liquid level. On smaller tanks that do not have that valve, only weight tells the true fill level.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, May 16, 2011, at 11:32 AM
  • OJ - roughly agreeing with Wheels - remembering about 4.5 gallons per 20lb cyinder from my days at the car wash at William and Kingshighway.

Instructed to only fill by weight, not gallons. Tank weight is stamped on the collar of the cylinder (TW), just add 20 to get the target scale weight when full.

New tanks needed to have the air bled off before filling - otherwise the customer was severely shorted and PO'd.

If the tank date was over 10 years old (or something like that), the tank had to be inspected and receive a new stamp. Gee, guess what other service was offered, for a fee? :-)

Threaded transport valve plugs had just come on the scene as a requirement in addition to the valve caps already required on the larger cylinders. Guess what other service was offered, for a fee? :-)

Don't know if still offered, but UHaul on S.Kinghighway used to fill by weight, charge by resulting gallons.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Mon, May 16, 2011, at 8:14 PM
  • OJ,

Kelso Sales and Service in Kelso or Halter Gas Co. in Oran fill lp tanks if that is convenient for you.

-- Posted by Robert* on Mon, May 16, 2011, at 9:11 PM
  • Thanks everyone for the information.

I remember the my first tank with the float and asking about the bleed off procedure. I think the attendant did that.

There was a time when a lot of folks were using a propane mix to charge air conditioners. If I remember correctly it has the same static pressure of 70 lbs as freon. I know it made cold air but one may not to want to light a cigarette with an evaporator leak. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, May 17, 2011, at 12:14 AM
  • Old John,

It's funny how things get away from you when you do not use them. LP has a boiling point of -44 degrees and as I remember it that would be close to R22. But I don't know how stable it would be in a closed system with oil circulating with it. It would work at least temporarily but I would be concerned about safety.

Water can be and has been used as a refrigerant on air conditioning where the temperatures do not go to the freezing point. All you have to do is run a low enough vacuum to get it to boil off at the right temperatures. It has too many problems to be practical, but was tried never the less.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, May 17, 2011, at 12:35 AM
  • It's funny how things get away from you when you do not use them.

That reminds me on my new take on the comment "That guy's forgot more than most people know about it"

I understand first hand the forgot part. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, May 17, 2011, at 12:50 AM
  • Good night you all. Got to be on the road to Advance by 7:00am.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, May 17, 2011, at 12:59 AM
  • Mr. Bishop owned Blue Hole, and If I remember right, I believe his sauce secret died with him.

-- Posted by phoenix on Tue, May 17, 2011, at 8:22 AM
  • phoenix, Was Blue Hole Sauce bottled before Mr. Bishop owned the Blue Hole or before. I remember stocking it on the store shelf in the 60's.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, May 17, 2011, at 1:31 PM

Respond to this thread