Speak Out: Online subscription

Posted by Turnip on Wed, Jun 1, 2011, at 5:37 PM:

I was just wondering what everyone thought of the subscription for the site? I know we talked about it awhile back. I reviewed the terms and have been interrupted once. I suppose $8. isn't bad considering all the mindless entertainment we receive, right?

Replies (146)

• I've already said MY-"three-cents-worth".

(Inflation, y'know...!☺)

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Jun 1, 2011, at 5:45 PM
  • Just curious, though: I wonder how this will "pan-out" with the PUBLIC-computers in the library(s)? I mean, I understand the ID/PASSWORD set-up for each user, BUT---shouldn't it be treated just like the BOOKS, that you've already PAID for, to begin with?

Maybe they'll leave a trimmed-down version, for local news/obits/general PUBLIC info???

I can understand WHY---it's just a sign of the times, I suppose?---but, dang it's a-gonna hurt for a while.

I've got "spoiled" on it.....!!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Jun 1, 2011, at 6:51 PM
  • hmmmm, inflation warnings have been tossed about in economic news. Just wondering how to calculate the rate of $7.95 / free($0)? Infinity, but only to the first order of magnitude? :-)~

Seeing the 'best of the web' responses in the Sunday-print paper declining significantly in quality/quantity/humor.

On the other hand, seeing the reduction of one-topic posters spewing their thoughts in a hit-n-run format. Filtering on a cost-basis.

$7.95 may be a new 'penalty' of participation, but if one can figure how to transition $99.67 of their monthly purchases bought in Cape to tax-free, online, free shipping sources - pffft, back to not costin' nothin'. Plus, think of all the arrogant local, non-consumer-friendly help avoided.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Jun 1, 2011, at 8:03 PM
  • "Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below."

Comprehension problems?

-- Posted by hello7777 on Wed, Jun 1, 2011, at 8:36 PM
  • Perhaps interpreting the posted lingo wrong - but it would seem difficult to post a comment on a story one can't access without the 'premium' subscription??? Immediate case-in-point is the quarry article.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Jun 1, 2011, at 8:47 PM
  • They should take paypal.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jun 1, 2011, at 9:20 PM
  • it's like prostitution

why pay for something you can get for free ?

-- Posted by Rick* on Wed, Jun 1, 2011, at 9:30 PM
  • Why pay for something you can get for free? What do you mean?

-- Posted by insider63785 on Wed, Jun 1, 2011, at 10:32 PM
  • insider63785

What if I don't want to subscribe - can I still read the seMissourian.com for free?

Currently, you have unlimited free access to the homepage and section fronts on seMissourian.com. But access to "premium" content pages, including news articles and features, is limited to a number of specific views and metered. Once reached, you will need to subscribe. Your free, limited access resets every month.

-- Posted by Rick* on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 4:00 AM
  • "Immediate case-in-point is the quarry article."

I haven't had a problem posting on any articles.

-- Posted by hello7777 on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 6:56 AM
  • Oh! I don't know. Seems to me the S.E Missourian should be paying us for the entertainment value we have given its readers the last several years.

How bout a grandfather clause Matt!? For all of us who have been so loyal and deserving? Guess we will just have to "pay" to "say" so to speak.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 7:19 AM
  • Hell, y' can't even read a FULL-obituary anymore!

Thanks a lot, Editor....!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 8:36 AM
  • WOLF, y'got a point, there! Never looked at it from that-angle.

Even "The Three-Stooges" still draw royalties...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 9:16 AM
  • Me'Lange - The Columbia Missourian newspaper started doing this a few months back, and the Jonesboro (Ar) Sun does something very similar. The Semissourian is far from being one of the first regional papers to do this. I won't pay for it, but I don't blame them for doing it.

Here's an article from the Columbia paper back when they decided on their terms, etc.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/11/16/columbia-daily-tribune-will...

-- Posted by gomer on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 9:44 AM
  • Sorry - the Columbia Tribune is the one charging, not the Columbia Missourian. The Tribune is by far their most read paper.

http://www.newstribune.com/news/2010/nov/17/newspaper-moves-metered-online-news/

-- Posted by gomer on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 9:48 AM
  • Well...I guess we will see how it goes. I've never had to pay to offer my opinion before. ☻ ☺ ☻ ☺

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 10:27 AM
  • Good Morning Turnips!

Me either, most often if goes like... if I want your opinion I will ask for it. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 10:29 AM
  • Mornin' Wheels. Enjoying the heat?

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 10:37 AM
  • On the other hand, seeing the reduction of one-topic posters spewing their thoughts in a hit-n-run format. Filtering on a cost-basis.

Plus, think of all the arrogant local, non-consumer-friendly help avoided.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Jun 1, 2011, at 8:03 PM

..reckon i dunno what this means ?...i'm mixfused as usual...

also...IMHO , limiting posts is a form of censorship

-- Posted by Rick* on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 11:22 AM
  • Turnips,

The heat is better than the cold, but not too hot.

If it could be kept at about 72 degrees year round... plus or minus a degree or two it would be better though.

I was in Barbados once and their annual average temperature is close. With the annual average high of 84 degrees and the annual average low at 77. I could live with that.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 11:28 AM
  • Wheels

Yes that would be perfect weather the kids could still swim but I could stand to be outside fo more than 10 minutes. Although can dream I don't see it happening!

Hope all is well with the family will be going through Advance Saturday and plan on making a stop to aggravate your mom then!

-- Posted by semoangel70 on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 11:42 AM
  • I guess I'm still confused. Did the Missourian announce a new policy or have some just prompted the reminder that their usage is enough to consider a subscription if they wnat to read more?

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 11:57 AM
  • Angel,

All is well, but our son is going in tomorrow for a shoulder operation. It will be a joint replacement.

Mom will be glad to see you. Thanks! Was there Tuesday.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 11:57 AM
  • Old John,

Mine still works like it did yesterday and last month.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 11:58 AM
  • Sounds like the paper may be shooting themselves in the foot. Regular online readers may stop reading, thus with less viewers (hits), less advertising dollars may not make up for the added subscription fee.

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 7:11 AM

You make a very good point. As TV works I'd imagine so does web advertising. The more hits on a website the more they can charge for their banner ads at the top. It seems to me they are doubling up on the money they make off us.

That being said, i understand why they are doing it. Its not cheap to maintain a site like this.

-- Posted by Producer1 on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 12:01 PM
  • Old John

i'm thinking Speak Out is free.. all News items aren't..

-- Posted by Rick* on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 12:01 PM
  • Producer1 - the problem is the adblockers on the browser systems mnowadays. I use Firefox with Adblock Plus, and I haven't seen an ad on the Missourian website in ages. Advertisers know this, and I can't imagine that the rates for internet banners in today's internet is what it used to be. If you're still seeing meaningless ads on websites, you're probably not using technology to its fullest.

-- Posted by bam-bam on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 12:20 PM
  • Me"Lange, What new policy are you citing?

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 12:32 PM
  • bam-bam, trust me I know how to use technology to it's fullest. I don't use the "HIGH" setting on my ad-blocker because that is why we are able to read this sites content for free. The same reason local TV station are free. We give you free entertainment in the hopes that a commercial will entice you to patronize one of our clients. If you are not seeing any ads then you are one of the reasons we will have to start paying for this site:) Just kidding of course

-- Posted by Producer1 on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 12:33 PM
  • Me'Lange, I' a little slow sometimes.

Old John, Having trouble keeping up?

"Go to the top of the page and check out "subscription help". Read the frequently asked questions part. It explains when you need to subscribe to keep going.

More than a fair deal in my opinion. But if it came down to it I'm not sure I would pay the $7.95.

I'm still thinking June could be the start of the big change concerning all things money."

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jun 1, 2011, at 8:27 PM

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 12:44 PM
  • So what "NEW" policy?

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 1:00 PM
  • LOL

-- Posted by Rick* on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 1:10 PM
  • The Post-Dispatch is in discussions to go to a 'pay per view' model also (according to an employee there that I know). I bet they do so within 12 months. The NYT started charging recently, and if they are successful doing it, other city newspapers will soon follow. Also heard talk that the KC Star will start charging soon.

It's just the way it's going to be before too long, just like the music download industry when there used to be tons of free sites, but now there are none (legal ones at least).

-- Posted by gomer on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 1:59 PM
  • its called free enterprise. start your own paper and hire your own reporters. the missourian is not a public service. its a business selling a product.

-- Posted by insider63785 on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 3:01 PM
  • why pay for something you can get for free ?

But do you want quality?

I will pay a nominal fee. I would take the paper but I leave before the paper guy comes by.

It will keep the hacks and the multiple posters away. I subscribed to Sikeston's paper one time but no longer because they give you a password of unbelievable structure instead of like SO. I don't have that much memory left.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 3:05 PM
  • It will keep the hacks and the multiple posters away.

Rick,

Present company excepted... but there is one poster especially I will be tickled to see relegated to one name.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jun 2, 2011, at 4:52 PM
  • But to charge to read your neighbors/friends OBITUARY---when it's ALREADY been paid for, word-by-word, by the deceased'-survivors?

Yeah, I posted basically the same thing on my own comment. But, this just don't seem right.

I have no immediate family left---so I guess I'm "lucky".

Guess they expect me to pay to read MY OWN obit, too, huh?

NOT ME!!! When I die, I'm goin' out in-defiance, and refuse to pay for/read my obit......!!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 7:25 AM
  • I must be a lightweight! If not for the threads I would not know there were changes in store. I decided long ago not to rely too much on any one source for news. As we all are aware, every source has its own perspectives. Those who report the news unconsciously or purposefully inject their own opinions and prejudices. There is so much information available on the internet that one paper more or less makes no difference. I will enjoy the ride on this site as long as it lasts!

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 8:41 AM
  • Wheels

sadly , a poster's personal stalker who continually has their prey banned , will cull the herd .

-- Posted by Rick* on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 9:28 AM
  • Rick's full comment was,

"it's like prostitution

why pay for something you can get for free ?"

"But do you want quality?"

I just found that really funny.

-- Posted by FunkDaddy on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 9:46 AM
  • HEH!!!!

God Almighty, HOW did I miss that one-two punch?

PERFECT-timing, in an IMPERFECT-world...!!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 9:49 AM
  • Two-For-One Sale, on Nickel-Night!

And, to-night is LADIES-night, at the Copa...!!!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 9:52 AM
  • Wheels sadly , a poster's personal stalker who continually has their prey banned , will cull the herd

-- Posted by Rick* on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 9:28 AM

Think I may have had one of those a while back. Had posts removed for no reason that I can think of.

There is one poster on here... when they go "dark" about 3 other names quit posting. Not hard to see that poster is trying to be a one woman majority.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 9:57 AM
  • don't the readers provide a service to the paper by proofreading, correcting facts, and submitting news ideas? where's my payout?

i've already started boycotting advertisers...

-- Posted by QT-PIE on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 11:51 AM
  • I wonder if we all see the same advertising depending where we live or what we have clicked on. I clicked on one of the ads once and noticed after that I saw a lot of ads for similar products. Probably just coincidence.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 12:04 PM
  • OJ

It is my understanding that the browsers are capable of using our past viewing habits to predict products and services we would be interested in and tailor the ads to our personal viewing history. In a few words, it is likely that each of us is bombarded with different ads.

I was always told that it is best that we be smarter than the tools we use. This tool is way smarter than I am! Perhaps I should downgrade to a dumber version?

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 12:21 PM
  • stnmsn8, I don't mind the ads. The pop up ads that get right in the middle of my reading are annoying though. Most of the Missourian ads at the top of the page and over to the sides are just reminders of respected businesses in the area mostly. You can delete the cookies regulary or set your anti viris to do it automatically but if you set it too high you will see a slow down in returning to some sites. Or at least it seems to me.

Now if I could only get windows live messenger to quit popping up all the time.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 1:08 PM
  • On a page semissourian would not let me on, I googled the headline out of curiosity and was able to retrieve it that way.

-- Posted by FunkDaddy on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 1:28 PM
  • OJ,

I use foxfire and activate the pop up blocker. Like you say the on site ads are legitimate local businesses. So far I have had no problem getting to any of the headlines and articles I am interested in.

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 1:37 PM
  • Old John

there use to be a way to shut of windows messenger pop-up or put it in sleep mode...did windows eliminate that option ?

-- Posted by Rick* on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 1:48 PM
  • Ahhh---CRAP!

FUNKDADDY beat me to it! LOL!

Except I used Bing, since it's the default in MY-version of FireFox.

Takes a bit more keystrokes---and may not work on ALL-articles---but it does bypass.

Man, I feel both DIRTY and GOOD, at the same-time, now!

At least 'til they put-up a new set of spike-strips.

And, unless you've REALLY went advanced: Don't start the threatening-crap either, 'cause it will STILL trace your I.P.-address, just in case somebody starts gettin' way-y-y too serious.(Again!)

Me? I ain't no computer-"geek" by any means. I'm a machinist/millwright, except I do it for FUN at-home, now.

But I'm a fast-learner, an' can READ instructions like a striped-assed ape...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 2:40 PM
  • And RICK: No, they didn't, because I disabled THAT particular pain-in-the-rear myself long-ago---but I don't remember HOW I did it anymore???

I DO remember though, when I did such, was at the same-time I switched to FireFox as my default.

Don't know if it was related or not, but it's the color of GONE-now, that's for sure...!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 2:55 PM
  • Turnip

back to your original Thread question , "I was just wondering what everyone thought of the subscription for the site? I know we talked about it awhile back."

so far since the new thing started June 1st , this is what happened to me...i dunno about anyone else..

i went to the Jackson page and snooped around

i went to Police/Records page to see all of the public allegations that are gotting to ruin people's lives

i went to the Photo page (i like pictures)...when i did , a white box popped up telling me how much access i had left..

so far , nothing has been different in Speak Out..

s'pose to be 100 degrees in the shade tomorrow..i hope you got a cool spot picked out

-- Posted by Rick* on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 7:55 PM
  • Old John

see if this site helps stop that Windows Messenger Pop-Up

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/how-to-turn-o...

-- Posted by Rick* on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 8:04 PM
  • Eh, still holding out here on bucking up.

Pleased with the hard-copy paper delivery in the drive before I leave for work at 0400. If it got there much later - it would be history instead of news before I could read it. Which would lead into the theft factor for those who look for yellowed papers in the drive as a sign for an easy break-in opportunity, assuming the anal-retentive homeowner hasn't installed cameras both on the inside and outside.

In my own futile attempt - been banging on the subscription articles in hopes of sharing my knowledge or lack there-of, and then backing out - in hopes that someone is counting the loss of real, provable hits.

High-hopes, I gots high-hopes..... :-)~

-- Posted by fxpwt on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 8:34 PM
  • Rick, I went there, never found the box mentioned to click on. I'll try again when I've cooled off and not full of grass clippings.

fxpwt, I hope you're not driving and reading! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 9:02 PM
  • Old John,

Top left of the screen; click on tools, then options in the drop down box, then click on 'content'. Block pop up windows will be the first box. You can make exceptions for sites where you want to allow pop ups. (Some of my classes use pop ups)

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Jun 3, 2011, at 10:17 PM
  • Yeah, MY-experience pretty-much mirrors what RICK has ran into. I checked on two local articles, AND their Comments, and then went to the Obituaries, clicked on one I was familiar with, and that's where this greyish-white box covers my screen, and says---in effect---that I've used-up my monthly-allotment of "free-time". Yeah, whatever.

But like RICK: The FORUMS seem to be OK---for NOW. And, the "Letters To The Editor" seem to be accessible yet. I NEVER mess with the actual Speak-Out anymore, haven't for a long-time.

As far as I'm concerned, they could "86"-the speak-out, in lieu of more room in the forums.

But then again, that's just MY-opine...

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sat, Jun 4, 2011, at 9:17 AM
  • Stnmsn8, Old John, Top left of the screen;.....

Been there done that. Just wondering, do I need Windows Live for anything? Surely I could delete the whole program?

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 1:10 AM
  • Oh, and I just got the pop up about the subscription when I clicked to read the rest of an obituary. New policy or just enforcing the old?

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 1:13 AM
  • if it were actually a real newspaper i would pay, but this rag is not worth pick up at the gas station, much less $8 a month.

-- Posted by ManleyPointer on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 7:44 AM
  • Old John,

I do not use Windows live. And I have no problem with popups on this site. You have reached the end of my expertise. Wish I could be of help.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 8:18 AM
  • I do not use Windows Live either but do not know about uninstalling it. I have had others use it to correspond with me. Most recently when dealing with Adobe on an update. Can you still swap e-mail with folks who are using it?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 9:15 AM
  • PS: I am not bothered with the popups on Windows Live.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 9:18 AM
  • After a little investigating, it is like any other program. Go to Control Panel, scroll down through the listed programs, and uninstall.

If you have any problems you can google "uninstall Windows live" and take your pick of any sites which give the directions step by step.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 10:22 AM
  • MeLange, Yes the sign in box pops up when I boot up. I just did the uninstall, or at least I uninstalled something. Now it pops up but goes away by itself. Works for me if I didn't mess up something else up. Thanks!

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 1:29 PM
  • Old John,

Some programs scatter bits and pieces around that do not always completely uninstall when doing it through Windows Uninstall utility. Norton's virus protection is one that can do that to you.

There is a free download available called Revo Uninstaller that does a better and cleaner job of getting rid or some items like this.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Go to the bottom of the page for the free download. As most do... they try to sell you something first.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 5:51 PM
  • Computers are fantastic........................when they work!

-- Posted by Robert* on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 10:25 PM
  • Stnmsn8... "when" should have been in all caps, bold and italicized! ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 10:36 PM
  • clean out DOS and your performance will improve..also , delete History sites..

or , Google websites that will do these things for free

btw , no Pc is 100% safe from jackers

-- Posted by Rick* on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 10:47 PM
  • Rick, I agree, I have read some master jacker posts on these forums. :)

Wheels, The sign in form that I have had to close before going any further was really just an agravation, not so much a problem. Now it pops up and goes away as the home page loads. On the old 98 system I could almost always stumble on to something, but windows 7 is a little different.

Me'lange Sometimes drastic measures are called for. I had an expensive radio in a work truck once that would go silent and could be fixed by wiggeling the volume knob up and down. Once it cut out right when I was really interested in something and in a quick moment I fixed it by beating it to death with a hammer. Next day I bought and installed a new simple AM/FM. Problem solved!

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 11:13 PM
  • Old John

a person can go to the public library then sign into a false network site created on the internet .

using the Rook search program , their new false network joins a Corporation or USA Government network . a simple loop macro finds username and pass word...

these folks who know how to do all of this are jackers

-- Posted by Rick* on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 11:29 PM
  • Rick, The first computer I ever toyed with used a program designed by a guy serving time. It was basicly a card file system that was more trouble to input than what it was worth. But it did have capablity of arranging in alphabetical or numeric order and could compile and deliver much like todays search engines. That was in the '70s. Soon after I knew a guy that was trying out a personal organizer that was the size of today's mini note-book. That was doing the same job as the thing that took up two desks and a table. :)

If a big event like what was predicted Y2K came to pass, the world would indeed start to wobble!

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jun 5, 2011, at 11:52 PM
  • Sounds communist to be. Those that cannot afford it are not allowed info or to speak. That is not right. Just another thing low income people are shut out of.

-- Posted by ArcticFox on Mon, Jun 6, 2011, at 1:42 PM
  • Probably cuttin' my OWN-throat here(again!), but: FUNKDADDY had the "current" solution to this problem over 3-days ago now, about middle-ways into the "Comments", for this thread.(Beat ME to the "enter"-key by an hour-plus!☺) I, too, discovered it by "accident".

(Actually, in the link MELANGE posted, they tell you EXACTLY how, either purposely or accidentally?)

Ya' just gotta literally "read between the lines" sometimes.

And now I've probably mentioned it once too-often, as it is, drawing it to their attention...

(And, don't accuse ME of being MELANGE, either---HER CAPS are BIGGER, and LOUDER!!!☺)

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Mon, Jun 6, 2011, at 6:29 PM
  • You're VERY-welcome........!!!☺!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Mon, Jun 6, 2011, at 6:56 PM
  • Nope, not paying. I think it sucks.. especially with the disappearance of Jacque Waller. Everyone is wanting to read the article and now the police are asking for our help and we can't even read the articles here. I will be visiting KFVS12 for all my further information. The Missourian sucks! Trying to profit off a missing person... disgusting!

-- Posted by Hot Dog on Mon, Jun 6, 2011, at 8:46 PM
  • BTW,

I don't understand. I just read the article. Perhaps I should not have said that? Perchance I am further down on the list?

Problem is, the article is about as informative as any politician's statement!

By the way, if they do not make a profit off the news, how long will they be in business?

-- Posted by Robert* on Tue, Jun 7, 2011, at 6:37 AM
  • Did we get a "warning" this was coming? A date that it would start? I won't pay...I will get my parents in the evening when they are done with it. I would rather give them $8 a month.

I can't even get to the obits!!

-- Posted by whyowhy on Tue, Jun 7, 2011, at 6:50 AM
  • maybe the Southeast Missourian needs better sales people to get more adds on their web sites to help pay costs instead of passing the costs on to customers .

or maybe more sales people...or maybe discharge the ones they currently have and hire better

or maybe their plan is to eliminate sales people all together

i honestly don't see how this news source will generate income by charging people to read the news when it's on TV , the radio , and other social media...they aren't the only source of information in Cape

-- Posted by Rick* on Tue, Jun 7, 2011, at 7:12 AM
  • We have subscribed to the Southeast Missourian since 1959. (I know, this means we're really old). When semissourian.com came online, we enjoyed reading it, too, since it provided updates to the print edition before the next day's paper arrived. Does anyone else think that long time subscribers, who have loyally continued to pay for the print edition, should not be charged an extra fee to read semissourian.com?

-- Posted by riverwalk on Tue, Jun 7, 2011, at 7:50 AM
  • I agree with you riverwalk

-- Posted by racer3694 on Tue, Jun 7, 2011, at 12:14 PM
  • Since blogs are now considered premium portions of the Missourian, does that mean the Missourian is going to start paying those bloggers for the right to use their intellectual property? I mean that is the argument that is being used to justify a subscription service---that reporters and those who produce content for our reading enjoyment need to be paid. I rarely read anything more than the obituaries and the comments sections on a few mainstream stories. Worth $7.95/mo? I think not.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Thu, Jun 9, 2011, at 9:40 AM
  • I really enjoyed reading the James Baughn blog, just not for $7.95 per month. I wish he had a blog independent of the paper somewhere.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jun 9, 2011, at 10:28 AM
  • Joe Dirte

you can read James Baughn by using Google for free ....

-- Posted by Rick* on Thu, Jun 9, 2011, at 11:37 AM
  • I get James via Facebook.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jun 9, 2011, at 12:26 PM
  • I was not aware, thanks

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Jun 9, 2011, at 12:34 PM
  • I dont like it, but I understand the need for it, and will pay to get it.

-- Posted by timexx on Thu, Jun 9, 2011, at 12:46 PM
  • If you don't want to pay for the online service all you have to do is go to google news and type in the headline. I understand that the Missourian needs the money because the print industry is in trouble and it's what they are going to have to do to make it. But for those who are struggling financially the way around the pay for online subscriptions is the google news way.

-- Posted by SouthernHusker on Sun, Jun 12, 2011, at 4:44 PM
  • What I don't understand is why they're STILL charging to read the obits?

What I mean is: Do you now NOT-charge the family/survivors anymore, for a pre-paid obituary? Are you now publishing them, for FREE, regardless of how many words?

That WOULD be a nice-gesture, indeed, on the part of the Missourian. Because---although it's been a while, now---I seem to recall you charged quite a premium in the past, to run an obit for even one day?

Or are we "double-dipping" on the matter?

Now, that'd be a new-"low", in-deed.....

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, Jun 12, 2011, at 5:55 PM
  • They can't give it away.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Jun 12, 2011, at 6:10 PM
  • How about another e-newspaper in Cape? Webpage only costs $2500. Get some advertisers, reporters, bloggers, local news feeds, copy off TV-12 news, Drudge, WND., WSJ, etc., and you're there!!

-- Posted by vietnamvet on Sun, Jun 12, 2011, at 9:21 PM
  • Some of the local radio stations have web sites with news, 960 repeats some Missourian stories each morning.

I've noticed several read right off Drudge.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jun 12, 2011, at 9:52 PM
  • Hey guys, I've found a way around this! If you see a headline that catches your eye but they say you've looked at all the free stories you're allowed this month try this. Enter the headline exactly word for word in your search engine. The first listing you get should be a link the the SEMissourian story that will work! I've tried this about ten times with 100% success so far!

-- Posted by Data48 on Mon, Jun 20, 2011, at 3:28 PM
  • Thanks Nil, I'll try that. I was just playing around and stumbled across my way of getting there!

-- Posted by Data48 on Mon, Jun 20, 2011, at 4:02 PM
  • Data48 - suggest if the news.google thing doesn't take you everywhere you want to be at the speed you want to go - your method works quite well.

Have found that if the title of the article is rather generic - it helps to put the entire title in quotes - e.g. "Logging on the River" followed by semissourian or lynch or something equally unique.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Mon, Jun 20, 2011, at 5:50 PM
  • Thanks, NIL---I was "goin' the long-way about the barn" like DATA was, too---but this IS a lot-simpler! (FireFox is all I've EVER used!)

Now---should we feel guilty? Or good? Or both???

I think I can live with myself, at least 'til they make another change, and completely cut their throats!

I'm STILL "ticked-off" that they(want to)charge for pre-paid-for-by-family obituaries, though.

Yeah, I know!!! But, it's just the, I dunno?---morality?---of it, that disgusts me.

And I'M not that easily "disgusted", either......!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Mon, Jun 20, 2011, at 7:09 PM
  • Seems to me it would make more sense for a paper to have two publications. A free edition with headlines and abreviated storys supported by low cost classified ads [lost and found, free for the taking, state wide ads and garage sales stuff] and then have a paid for rest of the story edition with more up to the date and detailed reporting.

An area wide business news including not just what the new building with the sign is would be good. When the survey stobs go in, curious people want to know.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jun 20, 2011, at 10:13 PM
  • That's EXACTLY right, about the business-news. You'd think now that they're charging for it, the quality/quantity would improve to the level of a newspaper-"premium"-story, at least. But it'll never happen. Just continue to stick with your "if it BLEEDS, it READS"-impact stories, regardless of accuracy.

The "throw-out" paper USED TO HAVE abbreviated-headlines, but now it's only out-dated ads/public notices. Wasted-paper, wasted-ink---and it makes the rural-roads look even worse than they already do, along with the bottles and cans. Guess they figure, "Eh, why not keep throwin' 'em out? Can't make it look any worse!" Guess you're right there. Makes GREAT-advertisement, to see "SOUTHEAST MISSOURIAN PAPER"-displayed in a soggy, ripped-up heap at the intersections. Yeah, gives your paper SUPER-exposure to the public, as to it's demand.

STOP THE WASTE, ALREADY!!! WE DON'T WANNA SEE IT! Don't care how much businesses pay for the ads---it ain't worth it, Business-men/women---nobody's pickin' them up!

Kinda like KFVS' Southern-Illinois ONLY-news---except IN-PRINT!

By the way, NOTHING against Illinois-residents in-general with that remark. I mean, hey: I was BORN there, myself, after-all...!!!☺

(Boy, MELANGE is right---CAPS really DO get the point out of the system, lol! But, it's just SO-much extra-effort, to make my left-"pinky" constantly lock/unlock that "Caps-Lock"-key, especially in the mornings!☺)

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Tue, Jun 21, 2011, at 9:20 AM
  • well , well , SE Paper is trying to eliminate backdoor Google now ?...hmmmm

i agree with the poster who asked how the public was supposed to help find the missing woman in Jackson without paying for access to the information ...is it money over humanity now ?

-- Posted by Rick* on Tue, Jun 21, 2011, at 9:30 AM
  • Yeah, I'm not happy. I can't access the blogs at all. Googling doesn't work. What really burns my buns is trying to go back and read the comments. If I have already accessed the story and that counts on my monthly usage, I should be able to go back and read the current comments. I ain't happy and I ain't paying....

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Jun 21, 2011, at 10:04 AM
  • Turnip;

I don't know why Googling isn't working for you. I just now did to get to the black bear story and it worked just fine. I copied and pasted the headline into my Google bar and the SEMissourian story was the very first one!

-- Posted by Data48 on Tue, Jun 21, 2011, at 12:19 PM
  • Hum. When the gray box comes up, I just check" No, I want to keep on reading" Can still post comments and read the articles.

-- Posted by hello7777 on Tue, Jun 21, 2011, at 12:33 PM
  • i don't believe the folks at SE Paper know a couple of them is not smarter then all of us collectively....

i reckon they'll spend more money and time trying to figure this out then they actually will selling newspapers..

-- Posted by Rick* on Tue, Jun 21, 2011, at 12:53 PM
  • Data, I can access the news articles, just not the blogs.

bug, did you read the 'subscription help'? Everyone receives a certain amt. of access each month, you are just receiving the friendly reminder. Perhaps you won't be affected.

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Jun 21, 2011, at 1:12 PM
  • OK...nevermind what I said. I was able to access the blogs with a lil' finagling. Shhhh.... ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Jun 21, 2011, at 1:20 PM
  • Creative Commons is a nonprofit organization that develops, supports, and stewards legal and technical infrastructure that maximizes digital creativity, sharing, and innovation.

Share, Remix, Reuse -- Legally

http://creativecommons.org/

-- Posted by Rick* on Tue, Jun 21, 2011, at 1:22 PM
  • I understand that historically news has never been free, so I don't have a problem paying for an online subscription to anything I care to read. What I don't understand is why it can't be cheaper than it is. After all, the stories are already researched and written for the printed paper, so there's no extra cost in that regard. Additionally, the online paper makes money from the advertising, so it seems to me that by charging, they are really going to be able to make up for any loss in revenue from a decline in subscritions and then some. Therefore I think they should reduce the fee so more people can read our local news.

-- Posted by sayswho? on Tue, Jun 21, 2011, at 7:17 PM
  • They have to make a buck. Did you notice yesterday there was stories of all the people being laid off from local papers. They are left with an electronic paper and print is slowly going away. We need to support this site.

I use this site more than I used the paper before the site existed. I have no problem paying them and I can get the paper at the lake, in Memphis, at home, or where ever I may be at the time. I use the peoples services or product that are advertised on here. I don't want to lose our last local news source and I sure don't want to lose speak out which has given me a lot of fun the last few years.

I have a good friend in the paper business and she is worried if she will have a job by the end of the year. She said the printed local paper is on the way out. People will miss it.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jun 22, 2011, at 8:15 PM
  • I think you are right rick. People wonder why I still have photos printed and that is why. It is easy to lose electronic media.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jun 22, 2011, at 8:34 PM
  • I do most of my business on a handshake. When someone pulls out the long contract I the price goes up.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jun 22, 2011, at 9:18 PM
  • So I noticed the blocks are off and I can now read the stories again. Does this mean the SE Missourian has backed off the Online subscription

Fees for now? I did try to pay the fee, but the pay process was too hard and I gave up on it.

-- Posted by timexx on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 3:21 PM
  • I'm not sure what the fuss is about. All I have to do is click, "no thanks I want to cont reading"

-- Posted by Dick888 on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 5:43 PM
  • Eh, still locked out here, using the Google work-around.

If this only applies to me, I might could almost take this personal :-)

-- Posted by fxpwt on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 6:39 PM
  • bumbling- It'll only let you do that for a few times, then you'll get blocked. You can also sometimes hit refresh and the story will come up. But after awhile that doesnt work. It watches how much your looking and then blocks you more until you cant view at all.

MATT is it possable to just pay this online fee in the office?

-- Posted by timexx on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 6:54 PM
  • We use their site a lot so why not pay?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 9:10 PM
  • Why? ...I'm cheap, I guess. I already pay for internet access. I can read PEOPLE magazine online for FREE, for pete's sake. ☺

fxpwt, your 'access' should reset each month.

-- Posted by Turnip on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 9:39 PM
  • I just don't read it unless it looks important and so far that works. I can get the obits elsewhere as can I national and state news. Major local news is pretty well read from the paper on 960am in the morning.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 11:28 PM
  • It does reset each month Turn. I think more people would sign up if they knew they would remain anonymous (even from the paper) after paying with a credit card.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Jul 22, 2011, at 11:34 PM
  • They have to make a buck. Did you notice yesterday there was stories of all the people being laid off from local papers. They are left with an electronic paper and print is slowly going away. We need to support this site.

I use this site more than I used the paper before the site existed. I have no problem paying them and I can get the paper at the lake, in Memphis, at home, or where ever I may be at the time. I use the peoples services or product that are advertised on here. I don't want to lose our last local news source and I sure don't want to lose speak out which has given me a lot of fun the last few years.

I have a good friend in the paper business and she is worried if she will have a job by the end of the year. She said the printed local paper is on the way out. People will miss it.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jun 22, 2011, at 8:15 PM

Regret, I couldn't agree more with what you said. I started paying for the online subscription and I live 800 miles away from Cape Girardeau. I think it is so vital to support local media. I pay for the online subscription in hopes that it will help save your local print paper at least a while longer, even though I never see a print version. At least maybe it will help save the online one. It costs a bunch of money for the bandwidth they use.

When the local paper goes, we all lose. People say losing the printed paper to the computer is progress; much like moving from horse and buggy to cars. However there is at least one major difference. If cars someday become inoperable and or unaffordable, one would still be able to move about. If the internet is false flagged by the government, or more likely restricted by Internet II ( same difference ) , where will you get your local news and information ? Or more importantly what is your community thinking about the local or federal shenanigans. The government is pleased when everyone's thoughts are isolated from others. It works well for the leaders of North Korea. It makes mind control less of a chore.

Every time we lose another piece of free speech in any form, we lose a bit more of our freedom.

One of my favorite 30 minute episodes of the old but wise, profound, and prophetic Twilight Zone series is one called The Obsolete Man, starring Burgess Meredith. I wish everyone could see and understand this brilliant piece of work.

The first minute of Part 1 is a compilation of other pisodes which is sort of o.k., but then the real Part 1 starts.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=529Q9_UwcMw

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCW1-e-n_wc&feature=related

Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBcuDDszBWc&feature=related

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 12:24 AM
  • TC, "Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace" That would describe the creed of tyrants very well in todays new world order, no?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 12:47 AM
  • timexx, try cleaning your cookies out everyday. never had an article blocked and read every day.

-- Posted by Dick888 on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 8:05 AM
  • Rick

Are you on the quest for the perfect avatar?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 10:02 AM
  • TC, "Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace" That would describe the creed of tyrants very well in todays new world order, no?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 12:47 AM

Totally agree Old John. That 30 minute episode said so much in so little time. The Twilight Zone is my favorite all time T.V. series. It spoke about so many foibles and other defects of the human condition.

So much of the science fiction in film and print of the 40's, 50's, and 60's turned out not to be so much "fiction" after all.

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 10:21 AM
  • Turnip - yes, my access did reset on 01 July - however, didn't take long to blaze through my 'freebie' views.

Still burns my backside, scorches my shorts, and toasts my tush about paying extra for the same news, only through a different medium.

Wondering how the revenue from advertisers will change. On one hand, have a potentially wider audience. On the other, from my experience, don't pay nearly as much attention to the ads online as those in print.

Reading the paper from front to back will take one through the classifieds, reading online requires extra pointy-clicky steps to access the classifieds.

Perhaps getting back to the idea posed about hard-copy news reading being a laid-back, easy-chair, relaxed, take-in-the-scenery approach, versus online reading being more 'edge of the seat', hurried, attention-deficit, MTV-generation soundbite, see-only-what-you-want-to-see approach?

Or, perhaps I'm all wet, and need to 'get with the program'? Seems that I'm hearing that more-n-more as my odometer creeps upward. :-)

Dang, it's only Saturday morning, and already yakking and spewing like a college frat boy after an all-night kegger.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 10:28 AM
  • I think it's safe to say fxpwt ain't payin' either. ☻

I think Twilight Zone scarred me as a young child, I have flashbacks to a monster under the stairs episode. I'm still leary of enclosed stairs.

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 10:34 AM
  • YES, it does reset monthly, maybe even bi-weekly?

And, the Google "work-around" does work, although it's a bit-more "work". I "skim" a lot more now, than previously. Like OJ, I only read what directly pertains anymore.

SO FAR, "our" forums are apparently unlocked all-around. That's a GOOD-thing.

I'm with TURNIP: I pay to get online, why do I need to pay "admission" twice?(I'm one of the lucky-ones though: I have DSL. It's my understanding, from info given me by the AT&T "ground-pounder" tech, that DSL-availability is literally measured in FEET, from the nearest "hub"---I almost ran out of "feets" for my DSL-carrier-signal!) Even so, my charge went from $10 to $15, to $20 per month currently, over the span of the past six-months. But, I still have plenty of usable bandwidth, before I'm charged "overtime". Don't have cable access, and too-many trees/rocks/hills for a reliable dish-uplink. So, that's why I say I'm lucky, in that way.

And I do understand nothing is FREE, even in the paid-ads-newspaper. But, I still don't understand why the obits are limited, since the family/surviving kin have already PAID PER WORD, to have 'em published? Guess it's like---I think it was RICK that said it---the ADVERTISERS paying for the ads, asking: "Why should I pay for my ad anymore, since you're a subscription-pay-only source, now?"

OLD JOHN: Ya' got a link of some-sort for those "alternative-obits"? Thankfully, I don't need 'em as much as in the past---guess either people are livin' longer, or dyin' sooner?☺---but I'm gettin' tired of being "baited" with a quick-view, and then hammered with a request for mo' dough, when I'm tryin' to read a pre-paid obit.

Yeah, RICK---that does look kinda "rugged". Maybe a splash or two of color? Add kind of a "fresh road-kill"-contrast to it?☺

Hey, whatever twists-your-axle, dude...!!!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 10:40 AM
  • Good Morning Turnips!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 10:41 AM
  • Donk, I don't have a particular link, I just google up some of the funeral homes and many have obits listed.

Also I'm thinking I once ran across a gov site that had death certificates listed in a way you could sort by date and county. That wasn't timely enough to make it to the funeral of course unless you were headed there anyway. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 11:08 AM
  • Rick, Go to wikip and bring up Pow Wow the Indian Boy. It was one of my favorite cartoons. You might find something of your liking!

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 12:19 PM
  • yes...help me

-- Posted by Rick** on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 11:53 AM

Rick,

Try a self portrait like I did. It works for me.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 1:16 PM
  • Rick,

I was living like your ancestors for lunch today.

Yesterday I decided I would smoke the freshly caught trout a neighbor gave me. Well, as damned hot as it was, I was having a problem keeping the temperature down to where I normally do and failed to adjust my smoking time accordingly. I almost wound up with dried fish. But uuuuuuummm they taste really good.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 1:21 PM
  • Wheels, Many many moons back we visited some of my wife's extended family in Michigan. These were some of the most gracious folks in the world when it came to making us welcome with good food. One large spread was of smoked salmon and other fine recipes they had developed. We traveled with them to Canada and they refused to let us pay our part on any of the bills, hotels included.

They never took us up our invitation to visit us.

I later realized if they did we would have had to morgage our house to entertain them likewise! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 1:55 PM
  • Old John,

Sounds like they thought you was somebody important and they were trying to impress you. ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 2:11 PM
  • Just had a thought - first step, a flat online subscription rate for unlimited viewing.

Next step, fix that revenue-damaging hole letting freeloaders and paid print subscribers bounce through Google.

Final step, pay-per-view.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 8:23 PM
  • TC, I got to thinking. I know that's scary!

There was a Zone type show once about a guy that found an old well and lowered a flashlight down. There was a tug on the line and he brought up a small sack of jewels with a note that said thanks, what else you got. After repeating this with more rewarding results, he became more and more greedy and put on an old Spanish style suit of armour and had his wife send him down the hole suspended by a wrecker cable. When she pulled him up the armour was was filled with gold along with a note that read "Thank you very much, our scholars have determined this dish to be chicken, what else you got?" or something like that.

That kind of reminds me of the American people conerning entitlements and such.

I think that was titled The Hole People.?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jul 23, 2011, at 10:50 PM
  • Here is another great episode Old John. I could not find a good copy on You Tube but did find one on Myspace video. http://www.myspace.com/video/o/the-twilight-zone-to-serve-man/37635576

On a side note. When I listen to Obama he talks with the same cadence and voice inflection that Rod Serling used in his show intro. However Serling didn't use the same type of voice in normal conversation. Here is an excellent interview that he did with Mike Wallace that shows Serling's brilliance.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77SEuyeQAAg

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJSjsoE7gcg&feature=watch_response

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Sun, Jul 24, 2011, at 10:48 AM
  • TC, A couple of observations in regard to the interview: Censorship in the early days of TV wasn't all Big Brother inspired but somewhat influenced by ignorance, bigotry and misconceptions by advertisers about the perceptions of the public.

Serling is revealed to be a very smart cookie with honorable motives.

I don't hear the voice similarities you speak of, only see some Serling qualities surely lacking in many of today's polititions.

If you skip over this link you are missing a very informative and revealing look and perspective of TV in the late '50s.

Thanks for posting that!

And yes that too was one of my favorite epsisodes.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jul 24, 2011, at 2:45 PM
  • What do you think if we all got together and purchased and online subscription to the SEMissourian for Obama? He could pick up a few new ideas on here.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jul 24, 2011, at 4:00 PM
  • Wheels, I'll throw in my two cents' worth, after quick-reading the link provided by BCStoned under today's (24 July) SpeakOut at http://www.thedailybell.com/2720/Anthony-Wile-Edwin-Vieira-Jr-on-the-Power-Elite...

/*****/

Daily Bell: The ramifications of the theory of directed history are sizeable. But let's stick to the present. Is Barack Obama a kind of elite puppet?

Edwin Vieira, Jr: He is certainly operating far "above his pay grade", as the expression goes. And it appears that he did not arrive there on the basis of outstanding personal merit, or decades of hard, effective work as a legislator or administrator. So what would Sherlock Holmes's conclusion be?

* So, I'm not the only one with a case of 'WTH?'.

/*****/

Daily Bell: Some less geopolitical questions. Is Barack Obama going to win re-election?

Edwin Vieira, Jr: If the Republicans persist in nominating any one of their present "front runners" for President, the Democrats could nominate a stuffed rhinoceros and expect to win.

*Well, that's good news.

/*****/

Followed by an excerpt from an e-mail sent me which had me going, 'hmmm' -

Let's face it. As insignificant as we all are... someone whom we went to school with remembers our name or face...someone remembers we were the clown or the dork or the brain or the quiet one or the bully or something about us.

George Stephanopoulos, ABC News said the same thing during the 2008 campaign. Even George questions why no one has acknowledged that the president was in their classroom or ate in the same cafeteria or made impromptu speeches on campus. Stephanopoulos was a classmate of Obama at Columbia-class of 1984.He says he never had a single class with him.

Since he is such a great orator, why doesn't anyone in Obama's college class remember him? And, why won't he allow Columbia to release his records?

Do you, like millions of others, simply assume all this is explainable - even though no one can?

NOBODY REMEMBERS OBAMA AT COLUMBIA

Looking for evidence of Obama's past, Fox News contacted 400 Columbia University students from the period when Obama claims to have been there, but not one remembers him. For example,Wayne Allyn Root was (like Obama) a political science major at Columbia, who graduated in 1983. In 2008, Root says of Obama, "I don't know a single person at Columbia that knew him, and they all know me. I don't have a single classmate who ever knew Barack Obama at Columbia ... EVER!

Nobody recalls him.

Root adds that he was, "Class of '83 political science, pre-law" and says, "You don't get more exact or closer than that. Never met him in my life, don't know anyone who ever met him."

At our 20th class reunion five years ago, who was asked to be the speaker of the class? Me. No one ever heard of Barack! And five years ago, nobody even knew who he was. The guy who writes the class notes, who's kind of the, as we say in New York, 'the macha' who knows everybody, has yet to find a person, a human who ever met him."

Obama's photograph does not appear in the school's yearbook, and Obama consistently declines requests to talk about his years at Columbia, provide school records, or provide the name of any former classmates or friends while at Columbia.

How can this be?

/*****/

Which brings things around to my original thought on your proposal - perhaps we should send the SE-Misery-an online subscription to the guy programming the teleprompter? :-)~

-- Posted by fxpwt on Sun, Jul 24, 2011, at 7:33 PM
  • Old John, it is not the voice comparison to Obama in those particular clips. Serling's interview with Mike Wallace doesn't show what I am talking about. It is in so many of Serling's opening monologues and prologues that I make the comparison with Obama's speech pattern. I have seen every episode of this series many many times over the years. Every time I hear Obama speak, I think of Rod Serling.

Maybe that's because Obama has made me "feel" like I am in the Twilight Zone. :)

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Sun, Jul 24, 2011, at 10:48 PM
  • fxpwt, perhaps Obama is nothing more than a puff of hot air after all.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Jul 24, 2011, at 11:01 PM
  • Fxpwt,

Yeah, I think that is an improvement on my original idea.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jul 24, 2011, at 11:38 PM
  • Looks as though I've made it back from the online dead as well. *waves* Oh well...It was only 2 McDonald value meals I had to sacrifice.

*laughs*

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Sun, Jul 31, 2011, at 6:05 PM
  • Hello Megalo! We missed you!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jul 31, 2011, at 11:48 PM
  • Morning Rick. No worries about me. I'm feelin' for all the ones who have to work in these conditions.

-- Posted by Turnip on Mon, Aug 1, 2011, at 10:35 AM

Respond to this thread