Speak Out: Census Bureau severs ties with ACORN in 2010 count - A Positive or a Negative Step?

Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 12:57 AM:

Replies (45)

• Depends on if you believe their exclusion will disinfranchise a section of the population.

-- Posted by Pups on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 6:13 AM
  • Oh and sounds like they were politically pressured to sever ties.

-- Posted by Pups on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 6:15 AM
  • Long overdue.

-- Posted by D'oh on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 9:08 AM
  • Just google acorn voter fraud and browse the results. Should be pretty disturbing to anyone. Also have you seen the most recent videos of acorn reps conspiring to assist a prostitute and pimp in getting a mortgage, importing underage girls from El Salvador, not paying taxes and avoiding detection? Andrew Breitbart's biggovernment.com has the video, although I'm sure you've already seen it on the major networks. No? How odd.

Here's part of Acorn's press release after the video was released:

"It is clear and not coincidence that FOX continues to attack and divide our nation along racial lines. We believe our country is beyond this type of attack and call on all Americans to demand that FOX stop its racist coverage."

It's also disturbing that when confronted with video evidence of their corruption they struggle to somehow make it a racial issue, as if that will somehow excuse their criminal behavior.

This organization needs to clean up it's act before they get anymore tax dollars.

-- Posted by stevmo on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 9:27 AM
  • Acorn: "Ooop's we got caught" 1. thorw the race card then 2. Attack Fox, the republicans or anyone else to throw the spotlight on anything else.

It's about time this group was shown for what it really is.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 11:01 AM
  • Hey stevemo, I did google acorn voter fraud and I also googled Republican voter fraud. Below are the results of number of possible hits. Now what does that prove?

2,670,000 for acorn voter fraud

6,620,000 for republican voter fraud

-- Posted by TheCamp on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 12:17 PM
  • camp, I was actually suggesting you read about the fraud charges and convictions, not do some sort of hit count. As you know, every time some liberal moonbat blogger mentions the evil republicans committing voter fraud those numbers will increase. They mean nothing.

-- Posted by stevmo on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 12:25 PM
  • Positive step, Wheels.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 12:43 PM
  • Yea, Uh, Whatever stevemo. Just google republican voter fraud and browse the results. Should be pretty disturbing to anyone.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 12:49 PM
  • Did you also Google Democrat voter fraud? I agree, the number of hits is irrelevant.

-- Posted by D'oh on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 12:49 PM
  • Not only is it about time, but it is also time for this organization that is filled with corruption be 'defunded' by the American taxpayers.

Oh, am I talking about ACORN or congress? You decide.

-- Posted by LiveAnotherDay on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 1:24 PM
  • BN1401, Of course I did. The number of hits was a couple million more that acorn and a couple of million less that the republicans...You are right it is as irrelevant as the news stories about individuals who work for a company or special interest group committing crimes. It was individuals who committed republican voter fraud and it was individuals who committed acorn voter fraud.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 4:05 PM
  • TheCamp,

Thanks, I am not a Republican, but I am surprised as I figured both parties would be about the same.

-- Posted by D'oh on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 4:13 PM
  • Again...

ACORN is pointless. Government funding allocated to them is pointless. Support for them is pointless. Any further discussion is pointless.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 5:07 PM
  • LiveAnotherDay ... I agree ... regardless of which 'organization' you are talking about. ~smiling~

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 8:01 PM
  • I googled democrat voter fraud and it got 1,510,000 hits.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 9:31 PM
  • Don't you really think it is immaterial how many hits any group gets. Fraud is fraud and anyone caught committing it should be dealt with accordingly.

The thread was about Acorn, not Democrats and Republicans.

From the alleged voter fraud in the last Presidential Election through the most recent allegations of this past week, a complete investigation of Acorn may be in order before anymore Tax Payer funds are distributed to them.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 12, 2009, at 11:44 PM
  • Very true that not every Democrat is a member of ACORN. But I'm certain it's safe to say that every member of ACORN is a Democrat.

-- Posted by thekid on Sun, Sep 13, 2009, at 4:57 AM
  • Show ACORN and the Democrats the door in November 2010. We can no longer afford either.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Sep 13, 2009, at 11:56 AM
  • Allegations, allegations, allegations. Balderdash! Read their mission statement. ACORN is an association of community organizations for reform now. They are smack dab in the middle of helping millions of U.S. citizens at the bottom of the food chain pull themselves up a notch. That is a worthwhile effort. Any organization might have some bad apples. Just look at the Republican Party.

I say: If individuals within the Republican Party are committing crimes then charges should be brought against them and the Party should take responsibility to get rid of these individuals. Anything else is just a bunch of speak out yapping.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Sun, Sep 13, 2009, at 12:14 PM
  • thekid is right.

I for one am very happy the Census Bureau saw the light.... there is no telling how many Donald Duck's, Elmer Fudd's, and Daffy Duck's would have been counted in the census. and all of them would have been democrats too!

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Sun, Sep 13, 2009, at 2:44 PM
  • Ah, Mission Statements! Always sound good, don't they?

I suspect that most of us don't really know much at all about ACORN ... and it's very doubtful that the issue is about just a few 'bad apples.' More like a bushel basketful.

You might want to do a few searches on ACORN. Here's one to get you started:

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/groupProfile.asp?grpid=6968

Perhaps that lack of knowledge will be improved upon if our government follows through on the July 2009 Committee on Oversight & Government Reform ... Is ACORN Intentionally Structured as a Criminal Enterprise?

"Conclusion: ... 408 Nonprofits represent a substantial portion of the activities directed toward public service, a mission obstructed by the fraud of groups like ACORN. On the basis of this Report, the legal protections distinguishing ACORN and its affiliates must be ignored because the ability to ascertain whether federal moneys are being walled off from ACORN's political activities is impracticable. As a result, ACORN and its Council of affiliates represent a politically partisan lobbying organization. ACORN and its affiliates' nonprofit exemptions and receipt of federal grants must therefore bear greater scrutiny.

http://tinyurl.com/n6krcd

After reading about a gazillion pages on ACORN, and a dozen or so pages of the above Committee findings ... It's my opinion that it would be totally irresponsible if this matter is dropped.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sun, Sep 13, 2009, at 3:23 PM
  • gurusmom wrote: "Mission statements always sound good, don't they?"

The Republican National Committee (RNC) is responsible for promoting Republican campaign activities. It is responsible for developing and promoting the Republican political platform, as well as coordinating fundraising and election strategy. Its current chairman is Michael S. Steele. The chairman of the RNC is chosen by the President when the Republicans have the White House or otherwise by the Party's state committees. The RNC, under the direction of the party's presidential candidate, supervises the Republican National Convention, raises funds, and coordinates campaign strategy. On the local level there are similar state committees in every state and most large cities, counties and legislative districts, but they have far less money and influence than the national body.

Yes they do!

-- Posted by TheCamp on Sun, Sep 13, 2009, at 4:14 PM
  • The Camp,

You appear to be obsessed with the Republican Party. This is about Acorn... not the Republican Party or how damned crooked they or the Democratic Party are!

Mission Statements... too many times amounting to nothing more than a collection of words, written by committees to make Corporations and/or Organizations sound like they are the only upstanding specimen of their kind on the planet.

I have seen too many shady dealings by individuals representing these organizations with the pretty sounding words. I am not impressed.

Bad apples can and will appear in any organization and in the case of Acorn, as Mom stated, they are appearing by the bushel. Ultimately the organization is responsible for those bad apples and ultimately pay the price. I think they did in this case and it was late but justified in coming.

If there was pressure from a political arm on the Census Bureau to dump Acorn, my bet would be it came from the Party in Power.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Sep 13, 2009, at 7:23 PM
  • Wheels ... "Ultimately the organization is responsible for those bad apples and ultimately pay the price."

From the articles I read it appears that ACORN and many people in charge of it are themselves the 'bad apples':

June 2008: Wade Rathke stepped down from his position as ACORN's chief organizer; ACORN publicly acknowledged that his brother, Dale Rathke had embezzled nearly $1 million from ACORN and its affiliated groups (there are hundreds of them!) in 1999 and 2000.

The Kicker? ... ACORN kept this information secret from almost all of their organization's board members and from law-enforcement authorities for 8 years, while Dale remained on ACORN's payroll. ACORN admitted it publicly only after a group of foundations and private donors learned of Dale Rathke's crimes and were preparing to go public with them.

The statement that ACORN has "A history of violence, disruption and intimidation" is rather an understatement ...

Wiffle, etc.: The list of ACORN's history of fraudulent voter fraud just goes on and on and on and includes many states and localities (including St. Louis). It's nothing new for the organization, and apparently their only 'excuse' is that they didn't approve any such things, it was their individual employees ... Over and over again through the years. One might wonder if they couldn't have finally figured out how to keep that from happening?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sun, Sep 13, 2009, at 11:45 PM
  • Teaching people to lie, cheat, steal (defruad the gov.) is not a way to help people out.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Mon, Sep 14, 2009, at 11:11 AM
  • Rush just played a clip from a WLS radio show that regularly has a segment with the ABC news anchor, Charles Gibson. In it the WLS hosts described the now famous videos of Acorn reps in Washington DC, Baltimore and Brooklyn then asked Gibson why there was no coverage in the MSM. In response he laughed and said he didn't even know about it.

He seemed happy in his ignorance of the story that has got the whole country talking. At least the part of the country that doesn't rely on the MSM.

-- Posted by stevmo on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 12:12 PM
  • LOL...While it's true that Rush and the Fox nutwork do have a few million zealots the majority of the voting public chooses to ignore their rantings.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 1:32 PM
  • The truth is the truth, no matter the source; for some it appears the old adage "ignorance is bliss" is not only accepted,but embraced.

-- Posted by D'oh on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 1:45 PM
  • The gossip of Fox and Rush vaguely resembles the truth. As a matter of fact they rely upon the that very ignorance of which you speak.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 2:19 PM
  • Thanks, BN ...

Oh, okay ... and TheCamp ...

Being a cold- and hard-hearted gal, I'd like to see our government stop funding any organization which involves itself and its members in any way in political endeavors.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 4:07 PM
  • Camp, Not sure why anyone would endorse Acorn's criminal behavior. With investigations in 14 states and daily releases of new videos, their only defense is that these are racial attacks. Your defense of them seems to be that since conservative activists have exposed their criminal activities then these activities should be ignored or tolerated. Don't want to concede anything to those crazy conservatives. Doesn't make much sense to me.

I'd also say that the majority of people aren't choosing to ignore what's happening, they just aren't being informed about what's going on by a news media that is hesitant to report anything that could be damaging to Obama.

-- Posted by stevmo on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 5:27 PM
  • Good comments, stevmo.

When people stop blaming things or excusing things due to 'race' ... then perhaps we would see the end of both?

Might say the same about political parties I guess.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 6:58 PM
  • Some of you might be blinded by some sort of bigotry. No one is endorsing criminal behavior. Just because some members of a group committed crimes doesn't convict the entire group.

Maybe you guys are just sore because the Democrats took total control of the House, Senate, and Presidency and this group was instrumental in that accomplishment. Oh well...May God Bless You.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 7:15 PM
  • The Camp,

Do you believe it is good policy to accept taxpayer money on the one hand for Community Service, then take those same tax dollars and spend them in electing any candidate?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 9:36 PM
  • No, I don't.

Is ACORN 100% funded by taxpayer money?

Did they spend community service grant money on someone's campaign?

-- Posted by TheCamp on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 10:31 PM
  • Camp,

You asked: Is ACORN 100% funded by taxpayer money?

Answer: No of course not!

You asked: Did they spend community service grant money on someone's campaign?

Answer: I don't believe anyone could possibly pin that down and give a definite answer. However my best guess would be yes! I further think there should be a comprehensive investigation of this outfit before they receive another dime of taxpayer funds.

The following comes from Acorn's website:

Does ACORN Recieve Federal Funding?

The Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now does not apply for nor does it receive any federal grants.

However, according to an October 8, 2008 article in the New York Post, 40% of ACORN's operations are funded through grants it receives from various governmental entities.

If the New York Post is correct then Acorn is lying on their web site.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 16, 2009, at 12:45 AM
  • The link I posted the other day answers a lot of questions ... however, realize it's too lengthy for some to read in its entirety ... or perhaps it just isn't in agreement with their own perceptions of this organization.

Interesting point that their finances are not very 'transparent' or available to even the government.

Wheels, some people seem to not consider 'grants' as government funding. Not sure where they think that money comes from.

As for TheCamp's comments ... Shaking my head ... As in politics, 100% support of a party or an organization seems to mean either not reviewing facts, or shrugging them off with excuses or tossing out semi-insults to those who do a little 'homework' in order to form an opinion.

Heck, I was fairly ambivalent about ACORN up until ... I actually READ some of the hundreds of facts ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Sep 16, 2009, at 12:56 PM
  • Soooo...The wordy answer to my two questions would be no and no? O.K. Thank-you.

-- Posted by TheCamp on Wed, Sep 16, 2009, at 1:42 PM
  • Camp,

As a correction... the answer would be no and neither I nor you KNOW!

Didn't really appreciate any enlightenment on ACORN I suppose.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 16, 2009, at 4:40 PM
  • Don't know how to post a link here but Gatewaypundit.blogspot.com has a link to a pretty funny video on their site about Acorn and the MSM from Comedy Central. Even Jon Stewart gets it now.

-- Posted by stevmo on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 12:30 AM
  • After a fifth (5th) office for ACRON has been caught telling people how to break the law. There was several stories on CNN,FOX,CNBC and the other news out lets.

ACORN is a umbrella for no less than 146 smaller groups that receive GOV. funding (tax payer money). Even the OBAMA campain gave them $800K.

So does ACORN get GOV. money? Yes they do in a round about way. Like I said earlier "Teaching people to lie, cheat, steal (defruad the gov.) is not a way to help people out."

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 7:20 AM
  • The whole acorn thing sounds alot like organized crime organization. i.e. prostitution, money laundering, tax evasion, human trafficing, housing fraud etc. How many forclosed houses in the past year or two were originally pushed or "helped" by ACORN?

I wonder if the libs will "demand and investigation" like they do on everything problem that pops up under a republican? Follow the money on Acorn and all of its sub organizations and see where it comes from and where it goes. Appoint an independent councel with free reign to dig in and see what's up. If there is corruption, force the AG to prosecute to the fullest extent.

After all, Obama promised to have the most transparent administration in history, right?

-- Posted by luv2argue on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 11:21 AM
  • Do you believe it is good policy to accept taxpayer money on the one hand for Community Service, then take those same tax dollars and spend them in electing any candidate? -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel

Even the OBAMA campain gave them $800K. -- Posted by Airborne 95B

Now you guys are really confusing me? Which is your claim, ACORN gave money to campaigns or campaigns gave money to ACORN?

-- Posted by TheCamp on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 11:34 AM
  • Didn't really appreciate any enlightenment on ACORN I suppose.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Sep 16, 2009, at 4:40 PM

Aw, Wheels ... Aren't you the clever one? That is just almost too funny!

Latest I read, Airborne, Acorn has over 300 associated groups under their control.

superbee ... The housing loans approved due to the push to give home loans to unqualified applicants was a fiasco resulting in unprecedented subsequent foreclosures ... and ACORN played a rather large part in forcing the loans to be made.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Sep 17, 2009, at 1:05 PM

Respond to this thread