Speak Out: Misc. Musings For "Oilers"...

Posted by donknome-2 on Mon, Aug 29, 2011, at 11:33 AM:

A friend of mine in Pennsylvania e-mailed me a question last week. On her evening-walks, she notices the engines on the sidings are always-running. She wanted to know "Why don't they just shut-'em off? They're just sittin' there, wasting fuel!"

So I sent her this-video, which is pretty-much self-explanatory. More to it, than just flippin' a switch, an' twisting a key.(Not unlike some of the stuff I like to play-with!)☺

Wonder if the guy in the "boonie"-hat needs a job still, after his sign-off at the end...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOj6gPwkiXg

Replies (15)

• OLD JOHN outta like this'n! The "Backbone Of America", here...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Mon, Aug 29, 2011, at 5:51 PM
  • It's not gone Donknome-2.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Aug 29, 2011, at 10:47 PM
  • Yeah. YET.

But I am! I'm gonna hit the rack! I ain't as full of Ensure, as YOU are...!!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Mon, Aug 29, 2011, at 11:02 PM
  • ahhhhhh, I just luvs the smell of unoxidized hydrocarbons in the ante meridiem!

-- Posted by fxpwt on Tue, Aug 30, 2011, at 4:34 PM
  • Yeah, it smells like---A WELL-PAYING JOB !!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Tue, Aug 30, 2011, at 4:42 PM
  • Funny how smoke out the stacks - whether it be mobile equipment like a train or a local manufacturing facility - used to be viewed as the sign of progress and security.

Nowadays, people don't want no smoke - harmful to the environment, visually unappealing, and the like.

So, what happens when the candle being burnt at both ends finally meets in the middle? :-)

-- Posted by fxpwt on Tue, Aug 30, 2011, at 8:13 PM
  • fxpwt, I bought a bunch of junk at an auction a few years ago. Within the blind purchase was some black and white photos blown up to wall hanging size. Amongst them were pictures of smoke stacks.

One was titled Progress, one was titled Capitol at Work.

Those two had placed high in a St Louis photography contest according to the markings on the back side. 1950 was the date.

Yep, things have changed!

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Aug 30, 2011, at 8:52 PM
  • That's a good-point, guys! I never thought of it that way before. The non-emitting smokestack is the sign of a shut-down system, be it mechanical, financial---whatever.

But, in re. to the locomotive engine, I checked with a few-other sources after I mailed her this vid, and found at least one-other reason: It prevents moisture from condensing inside the chambers, of the non-running engine.

I was told the reason it's not as much of a problem with an automotive-app, is because of the sheer-SIZE of the loco-engine, especially the cylinders-bores/pistons. I've seen some of the "smaller"-versions, like the Fairbanks-Morse light-plant engine, whose pistons/bores are close to 18-inches across, started by compressed-air.

And, just like the locomotive-engine, each cylinder has a compression-release-cock, which also lets any accumulated-moisture exit, when the engine is turning-over.

Once either-type of motor settles-in to that low-rumble---I honestly think I could take a nice-nap by the rhythm of one...!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 11:09 AM
  • Donknome,

What would be your estimated cost if one of these locomotives failed to restart after being shut down on one of these sidings? There are many cumulative factors which make the cost of idling engines minor in comparison to the alternatives.

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 11:39 AM
  • STNMSN: Honest to God---I would have NO-idea. I'm certain that any "bean-counter" worth his/her salt could supply us with the actual-cost, taking into account the down-time, fuel-expense, labor, etc.---but I wouldn't know where to start. I was one of those who asked: "Where would I possibly need to use MATH, when I "get-out"?

I learned FAST, though, from a hands-on "teacher", who steered-me in the right-direction, with a set of calipers in one-hand, a fist-full of thread-guages in the other, an' a steel-toed boot to back it up!☺

I guess you could apply basically the same-formula as over the road trucking: If the wheels ain't turnin'---you ain't earnin'!

And, unless I'm mistaken, the start-up task was the same-reason the older-model road-tractors were almost never shut-down---the risk, and resulting cost of the breakage that just-MIGHT occur wasn't worth the chance.

Always wondered how many starters/engines UPS delivery trucks run-through? Constant start, stop, etc.---especially the Diesel-versions.

Not many things more important to a Diesel than that oil-pressure at start-up...

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 2:00 PM
  • Although locomotives have pre-start oil-pressure pumps---and I think most heavy trucks/equipment still may have? I know the older military deuce an' a half did. Old "Cats" had 2-cylinder pony-motors for starters, for that same-reason.

I was told a while back however, with the advances in todays' technology, a "normal" starter(24-volt?)rendered THAT-problem moot...???

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 2:08 PM
  • And think of the expense of downtime; possibly other scheduled trains which must be rerouted because an important sidetrack is tied-up. The time and expense involved in providing a replacement engine and crew. I believe I would just let the engine idle.

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 3:50 PM
  • It's been a few years, back when diesel fuel was relatively cheap - but I recall hearing somewhere that a mile-long train using three engines running across half the nation would present delivery charges of about $300,000.

Fuel, maintenance and other operating expenses would be a part of this amount - but not a bad revenue stream for a couple-three-days work.

Suggests that the potential revenue value of a given engine would be in the ballpark of $40,000 per day???

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 4:54 PM
  • I'd really hate to venture a guess. Although as for fuel-usage per mile traveled? Depending upon the grade, and starting from a dead-stop when allowing another to pass---I think they "stagger" the engine-loads between the 3-4 lead-engines, so as to only "lug" one at a time, once they're up-to-speed. That way, the other 2 or 3 would be just idling-along, using teaspoons as compared to gallons. So I guess one would need to split the mileage between the # of engines, at any given time???

I'd say that hump-yards are where the fuel gets used. The constant starting, sorting, and shunting-loads uses a lot of Diesel, I've been told.

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Aug 31, 2011, at 5:30 PM
  • In a parallel observation - my irregular, unofficial, and unverified measure of economic health is the gauge of the number of tractor-trailer trucks seen on the Interstate.

The observations suggest things seem to be getting much better - especially in the past couple-months.

I find myself getting irritated more often by getting 'pinched' coming up behind one truck going 65mph getting passed by another going about 65.1 mph, taking upwards of seven miles to get by each other, with the end result looking like a parade of backed-up vehicles easing on down the road two lanes wide.

Always being one to at least try to look at the lighter side - the entertainment value in the whole deal is realizing my minimal unhappiness with the event, as compared to other drivers who give the appearance of flat coming unglued about the delay imposed in their 'game'. Heheheh - what will these people do when a real crisis comes along?

Especially interesting are those who come blundering down the on-ramp expecting a space to magically open up in the parade for their arrival - oops, reeeee-wait-for-it-jected.

At any rate, certainly suggests an improvement in the economy over a couple years back, where I sometimes felt like the a-Lone Ranger out there. When trucks are rolling, stuff is going places. :-)

-- Posted by fxpwt on Sat, Sep 3, 2011, at 12:19 PM

Respond to this thread