Speak Out: You should pass it !

Posted by Old John on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 6:42 PM:

Any comments?

Replies (38)

• None you would care to hear from me.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 7:17 PM
  • What's another half-trillion in debt? He got his raised debt ceiling, may as well raise the debt to match it.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 7:19 PM
  • Do they have to pass it to see what is in it? I don't trust him.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 7:34 PM
  • The one thing I didn't hear was, he would see that the government would get out of the way and let the private sector do what they do best.

All I heard was spend more for teachers (union), and highway jobs (union). It was more of the same thing. All or nothing.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 8:03 PM
  • Regret, That's way I understood he wanted it. Said he would follow up with more later.

He's going to make the country fair again by giving companies a tax break for hiring people that don't want to work while raising the taxes on their profit. And all those poor people that couldn't pay for their $300,000 houses on a $50,000 income will get them back from foreclosure with a little help from the rich.

But don't worry jobs are on the way for union members teaching and renovating schools.

Remember, we don't do pork projects any more so that should pay for a lot of it. The rest will work because the red tape will be replaced with pink tape and the super committee will find ways to cut Social Security and Medicare and with the deficit reduction plan He has already started why would you vote for anyone else!

Best part of the televised coverage was seeing Hillary's sour look and imagining what she was thinking. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 8:12 PM
  • OJ

It was the same thing he says on every one of the bills he pushes. It must be passed or else. He kept saying it will be paid for but never says how. Maybe is is one of those "it will be a saving $500 billion over the next 100 years.

He did a good job of promoting class warfare and even slipped in the millionaires and billionaires again. What a leader! Divide and conquer his own people.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 8:35 PM
  • Cantor says they might break the proposal down into small bills, and vote on each item separately.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 8:38 PM
  • With the execption of seeing the supreme court entering I would think it was a state of the union address. Harry followed in not too far back from the president without to much fan fare. To me he doesn't look to hale. Any time the camera featured Nancy her mouth was moving.

At one point Biden glanced over at Boehner as he returned the what the heck look that said "Uh".

I reckon the whole bunch see this as a campaign speech while the squirrels running around in their heads are trying to figure out how it is going to affect them, not the American people.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 8:56 PM
  • -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 9:20 PM
  • I was too busy this afternoon to watch the show. Did I miss anything?

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 9:47 PM
  • Rick, I don't think congress wrote the national care act, they just passed it. If congress had wrote it they wouldn't have to pass it to see what's in it. This, I think is the same situation. He wants congress to pass it now and see what's in it later. They fell for it once so why not try again.

Imagine if he would have asked congress to eliminate the IRS and install a flat or fair tax to eliminate corporate taxes, downsize the EPA and turn back regulations ten years. The stock market would soar, business would reinvest and he would be a shoe in for four more.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 9:51 PM
  • I can only say I want my country back. I have yet to understand what was wrong with letting individual companies make the decisions. At least we had a wider playing field and more chance that some of the ideas would work.

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 10:58 PM
  • I was singularly underwhelmed.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 11:19 PM
  • Ok, I've now read the text of President Obama's speech. Apparently we have to pass the American Jobs Bill and pass it right away! It is an emergency, right? Where have I heard this before?

Several points:

1. The timing-Congress has less than a month to complete work on next year's budget and the Senate has passed only one of the necessary twelve appropriations bills. The House has passed six of the twelve appropriations bills. If Congress stops work on the appropriations bills to pass this jobs bill this country will be operating without a budget for the third year in a row.

2. Less than a month ago the President was warning us against cutting spending too deeply. Now he is asking that the special committee cut spending even more deeply.

3. Two and one half years into his term the President has to call the a joint session of Congress in order to announce his emergency plan to create jobs? What has changed in the last six months? Twelve months?

4. Is this a free market economy or a centralized economy in which the government chooses winners and losers and decides which product should be produced by what company and when?

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Sep 8, 2011, at 11:20 PM
  • -- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Sep 9, 2011, at 10:59 AM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Fri, Sep 9, 2011, at 12:49 PM
  • Dumb me, I didn't realize our biggest problem was the northern border. As in most government operations they probably got that mixed up with the southern border where they were instructed to build a fence.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Sep 9, 2011, at 1:08 PM
  • Rick, I think you got it. He will be percieved as the one trying to cut spending and increase jobs and when it doesn't work, congress will get the blame for spending and the deficit.

If this secret plan is passed when will all this union construction work take place? Pooring millions of $ into the school buildings I think would wait til school is out and bridges and road work is easier done in other than the dead of winter.

All those spread money around schemes will take a good while to be understood before private business will commit to them.

I'm surprised another dem hasn't announced a bid for the nomination.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Sep 9, 2011, at 2:23 PM
  • The money you haven't spent yet is the easiest to save.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Sep 9, 2011, at 9:19 PM
  • Obama stepped down to the office of president. Where do they come up with this stuff? Well here's more.......

http://weaselzippers.us/2011/09/08/msnbc-anchor-obama-the-greatest-orator-the-of...

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Sep 9, 2011, at 9:30 PM
  • The difference is the great communicater had something worthwhile to say.

What earns this president his title of gifted speaker is not what he says or how he says it but how it's spun.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Sep 9, 2011, at 11:26 PM
  • Watch Hilliary very carefully. She still has her eye on the Oval Office.

The first clue could well be that she resigns as Secretary of State. Then watch out for sneaky work at the crossroads. Can't imagine she will be willing to wait another four years to get there when she'll be more wrinkled, fatter, and greyer.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Sep 10, 2011, at 7:36 AM
  • Pass what bill? What is the bill registration number? What is the economic impact study from the Congressional Budget Office? The fact remains there is not bill. Just a "plan" like always with no substance. Only the same "pass it or else" threats by Obama. Is that leadership or dictatorship?

-- Posted by jadip4me on Sat, Sep 10, 2011, at 8:47 AM
  • Jadip4me,

President Obama believes in transparency; therefore he will never put anything down on paper. If he did, we would know exactly where he stands on an issue. By never taking a stand and speaking with an eloquent turn of phrase he retains deniability and hopes to be able always to pin the blame on someone else when his policies fail. Those who support/believe in him will hear what they expect to hear; those who oppose his policies will hear what they expect to hear; he will claim to be bi-partisan. He may be President but he definitely is not presidential.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Sep 10, 2011, at 8:56 AM
  • -- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Sep 10, 2011, at 3:34 PM
  • sorry, Play 'Pass this plan' remix

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Sep 10, 2011, at 3:35 PM
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCeSvdBvBfE&feature=player_embedded#!

Yes, we should believe him this time, we need to pass the bill.... right?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 10, 2011, at 6:27 PM
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6TcpfBHlbs

Ray Stevens/Obama Budget Plan

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Sep 10, 2011, at 6:46 PM
  • Stnmsn8,

Links are working great.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 10, 2011, at 6:52 PM
  • a little advice goes a long way, thank you!

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Sep 10, 2011, at 6:55 PM
  • Stnmsn8

I had plenty of help, so I owe it back to someone.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Sep 10, 2011, at 7:18 PM
  • Caddy,

Funny!

Serious - America cannot stand another 4 years of your 'Empty Suit'.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Sep 13, 2011, at 10:53 AM
  • "Obama truly has the "muscle behind that hustle"."

The only way one could construe that to be a true statement is the "muscle" being his handlers. He himself is an 'empty suit' in my opinion.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Sep 13, 2011, at 1:18 PM
  • More in line with the title of the thread. What happens if President B. Hussein Obama spends too much and bumps into the debt ceiling during the 2012 election cycle?

It will be really interesting to watch how he and Congress handle that one.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Sep 13, 2011, at 1:23 PM
  • Rick, The "people" in caddy's post are the ones with enough votes for Obama even though they know it's a hustle for more something for nothing.

Obama will run against congress for not passing his "pass it now" bill regardless if some dems lose seats because dems will just replace with more dems that are more liberal.

If in the rare chance it does pass, he will rely the rhetoric that it needs time to fully kick in and reveal the hidden give a ways to unions.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Sep 13, 2011, at 5:11 PM
  • While he pitched his jobs plan in a city that just lost a lot of jobs to out sourcing, Bob Turner wins a seat in NY 9th district held by dems since '21. Even CBS is running stories of his decline in the polls and the questions being raised about the solar panel company failure.

Pass it now and get not one but two for the same price, just pay separate shipping and handling!

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 5:58 PM
  • Just another example of President Obama's lack of experience. While he was making his speeches and telling everyone to 'pass it now' he forgot to hagve his bill ready to go. It has yet to be introduced as legislation; it has no sponsors; a Republican representative from Texas (of all places) noticed this lapse and claimed the title "American Jobs Act" for his own two-page bill which will essentially drop many federal personal and corporate income tax rates to zero. While this is essentially a political stunt, it does again demonstrate the inexperience of this president.

http://www.wireupdate.com/news/republican-lawmaker-hijacks-american-jobs-bill-na...

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 6:53 PM
  • This exposes the fact that even a highly democratic district can have a different show of hands when shown the whole picture.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Sep 14, 2011, at 7:01 PM

Respond to this thread