Speak Out: Tour of Missouri vs State Funding of Ballparks

Posted by retired1 on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 11:06 AM:

How many people from Ill., Ark., Miss.,MO. and other states go to Cardinals,Royals,Chiefs and Rams ballgames. Spend money on food,gas,motels,shopping, etc. Look at all the state sales tax people spent in Missouri just because of the Cardinals,Royals, Chiefs and Rams. I bet the state brings in more money in one week from the Cardinals, Royals, Chiefs and Rams fans, than they did in 3 years of the Tour of Missouri. The state will recover many times over their investment in the Cardinals new ballpark. And lets not forget the refurbishing of the ballpark in Kansas City, that the state is involve in through state funding. (I don't think the Rams park had any state funding, but I'm not sure). Great tax revenue investments for the state. Plus these people keep coming back to enjoy their favorite sports team. Look at revenue that was realized just from the All Star Game this year.

Replies (2)

• I disagree. The money I spend to go to a Cardinals game is spent because I want to go to the game! I would not be otherwise spending that money to experience a concert. It is not a shifting of my spending money because if I were not at the game, my butt would probably be at home watching T.V.

-- Posted by my_thoughts on Tue, Sep 15, 2009, at 4:10 PM
  • Nil, are you igonorant or just unable to read? what part of my comment said I have any interest in purchasing anything else with my money. I am fine with the small T.V. I have. I have no home theater. I don't buy or drink beer, and I clearly said that if I did not spend that money to go to the ball game, I would be at home watching my own T.V. I didn't say I would buy better cable or a sports package. Quite the contrary, I rent 99 cent movies and watch them twice a week. I am frugile with my money, but I will splurge on a ball game from time to time.

-- Posted by my_thoughts on Wed, Sep 16, 2009, at 2:51 PM

Respond to this thread