Speak Out: Obama, a tough sell

Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 11:52 AM:

Looks like the President had a tough time selling out his latest St. Louis appearance.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/political-fix/article_59057...

Replies (32)

• I hear traffic will be a nightmare in St. Louis. It wouldn't surprise me if he made an appearance to throw out the first pitch.

Did you hear when Michelle Obama went to the Target store to buy stuff that the white house tipped off an AP photographer so they could make sure a photo was published of her shopping at Target?

lumbrg disclaimer: The above comments are not intended to offend anyone that loves all things Obama. Just a posting of an event where a reporter provided details on a Michelle Obama event. We apologize in advance for anyone whose feelings are hurt. :-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 12:05 PM
  • folks are going to see the Cardinals play instead..

-- Posted by Rick ** on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 12:02 PM

The cards game and the Presidents event are both sold out now, although I doubt the cardinals lowered ticket prices to reach capacity. That being said the price for a meal at the game or at the presidents fund raiser later on tonight may be close to the same.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 12:15 PM
  • "Did you hear when Michelle Obama went to the Target store to buy stuff that the white house tipped off an AP photographer so they could make sure a photo was published of her shopping at Target?"

With no apologies to anyone.... she most often looks as if her wardrobe came from Walmart. Nothing as high class as Target.

Dug she was probably looking to but a straw hat and Walmart was sold out, that way she could do a proper photo opp while hoing in the garden.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 1:04 PM
  • if everyone is so certain Mr.Obama is gonna be re-elected , why is the dude having fund raisers every night instead of being in the White House taking care of business ?

-- Posted by Rick ** on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 1:30 PM

Rick,

He wants to get elected to a 2nd term no matter the cost to the country because in his egotiscal way he is the one that is important... not America.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 1:35 PM
  • Rick,

I for one am glad this president and several in the past spend so much time on the campaign trail or vacationing. The cost taxpayers incur supporting their movie star lifestyles is probably much less than the politicians would waste "taking care of business"

With the utterly inept politicians of today government needs a cruise control setting. Give them six months to show what they can do. If they are just more of the same, send em on a around the world cruise, hit the government cruise control button and let the taxpayers and the free market take the wheel.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 2:03 PM
  • "the $25,000 donation dinner includes martini's , mixed drinks , and beer..."

None of the things you listed above are nutritional. Alcohol has empty calories and can be bad for the organs. Maybe Michelle should focus on Obama fundraiser nutrition and stay off the public restaurant crusade?

I wonder if he could raise $25,000 a plate on spinach, lentil beans, V8 and carrots? It's got to be the food they're paying for. Can't be the message.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 4:06 PM
  • He's very good at fund raising. Why not have him a tour to raise $14 trillion to pay off the national debt?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 4:27 PM
  • For those interested in what it costs to send a President's wife to Africa.

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/nearly-hal...

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 4:36 PM
  • Why do you folks keep talking about debt. We don't have a debt problem! We have a "revenue" problem. Which is what I think Shapely was saying. :-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 5:56 PM
  • He's very good at fund raising. Why not have him a tour to raise $14 trillion to pay off the national debt?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 4:27 PM

If he can do that I will vote for him. But I want to see it done not just tell he is gonna do it. He might lie.

Wonder how many people attended the dinner compliments of Mr. Soros.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Oct 4, 2011, at 9:49 PM
  • Maybe not on subject but a story about folks supporting the party that champions the poor.

A local merchant was to be at the democrat national convention to witness the presidential candidate nomination.

The first thing they did to prepare for the event was to trade for a new just available luxury car.

Dealers were limited to one and they were of the first to have one. Three days before the trip, the car quit running and needed a new part not in dealer stock. And to make matters worse the part was on national backorder and expected in four days.

Never had the dealer seen or heard such a fit they had. "You don't understand, we have to have that car!"

I guess democrats like folks to know they have money and what better way to let them know than using the price of a new car to do it.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Oct 5, 2011, at 12:18 AM
  • -- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Oct 5, 2011, at 9:57 AM
  • Rick**,

I suspect he didn't want to offend some Islamic group by holding the meeting.

We must never forget how he made the Dalai Lama use the back door, out of fear of offending the Chinese:

http://ironicsurrealism.com/2010/02/19/obama-treats-the-dali-lama-like-common-tr...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Oct 5, 2011, at 11:13 AM
  • "Mr. President, you are ignoring the plight of Christians in the Middle East!"

The above from the linked article.

Don't remember exactly his words, but did President B. Hussein Obama not say in one of his books that when it came to it that he would come down on the side of the Muslims?

Why should there be any gasps of surprise here?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 5, 2011, at 11:28 AM
  • Rick**

Oh, yeah, he knows where it is. I suspect there's a lot of others besides the Dalai Lama coming and going through there.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Oct 5, 2011, at 11:28 AM
  • Is there a wood shed at the white house? I think Eric Holder is about to be taken there by his boss.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Oct 5, 2011, at 12:18 PM
  • -- Posted by Rick ** on Wed, Oct 5, 2011, at 1:35 PM

The bigger question will be with the next election. Will "the other person" do a better job?

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Wed, Oct 5, 2011, at 1:52 PM
  • are you asking if anyone can do a better job than Mr.Obama ?...only you know the answer to this , i ain't even gonna try to sway your opinion...

-- Posted by Rick ** on Wed, Oct 5, 2011, at 1:57 PM

The "other person" being any other option.

That is exactly my question. Can they do a better job? I just don't have alot of confidence right now.

I think Obama hasn't done a great job. Problem is, Bush didn't do a great job either. Hence the paradox...Will the "other person" do a better job.

I think think, or rather hope, that the republicans get back to their pre-bush/Carl Rove agenda. Take away the the social issue policies away from the federal government and give it back to the states (ie gay marriage-state issue, not federal). Work on limiting government and being more fiscally conservative.

Its one of the reasons I like Ron Paul.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Wed, Oct 5, 2011, at 2:05 PM
  • "The President raised about a quarter of a million dollars in the hour and a half he was in st. louis. got here at 6p.m. and was back on air force one at 8:45p.m. Now that's moving and raising some cash! Everybody don't know how to do it like that! He did a great job!"

Caddy,

Your math is worse than Obama's, and as accurate as the rest of your posting. If I remember correctly, it was 5:42 when he touched down. My Daughter called me at 8:42 PM and she and my Grandaughter were just stopped on I 70 returning home from the ballgame and 70 was shut down almost another half an hour. I question the 8:45 PM time based on that.

That was a long hour and a half! Some of us believe details should be complete and accurate.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Oct 6, 2011, at 11:57 AM
  • Caddy,

Maybe you should re-read the stories. The $25,000 dinner and the $1000 dollar appearance that was reduced to $250 were two seperate events, held at seperate times in seperate places.

You are correct in saying no matter witch event you attended in was just a donation, surely nobody was forced at gunpoint to give.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Oct 6, 2011, at 11:58 AM
  • Quotes from the PD story about the first event held at the Renaissance Grand for $250

Whatever the reason, Democratic party officials have slashed the admission price to see Obama at an event next week in St. Louis, from $1,000 to $250.

A local Democratic consultant, David Woodruff, sent party supporters an email Wednesday offering "reduced tix." The special deal is through "Generation Forty Four," an effort to get young people involved with the campaign.

"Only a limited number of these $1,000 tickets are available for $250, so I hope you will click this link now and grab them before they're gone," Woodruff wrote.

Now for the seperate second event for $25,000 per person

On Tuesday, Obama will hold a reception downtown at the Renaissance Grand before heading to a dinner at the Lindell Boulevard home of Robin's brother, Tom.

Attendance at that event should be interesting -- tickets are $25,000 a person. (Though, at $35,800 a couple, it's a bargain to bring the significant other.)

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/political-fix/article_59057...

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Oct 6, 2011, at 12:05 PM
  • I predict that Obama will lose Missouri in 2012 by a much larger margin than he did in 2008.

This being the Show Me State... he did not do so!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Oct 6, 2011, at 12:19 PM
  • Wow $25,000 for a Kool-aid refill. I wonder if Obamacare will pay for that?

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Thu, Oct 6, 2011, at 3:33 PM
  • Caddy reported that Obama raised about a quarter of a million dollars while in St. Louis. This does not compute as a report I read said that 45 people attended the $25,000 per plate dinner. Assuming that each paid the $25,000 that would have brought in $1,125,000 as I calculate it. There must have been one whale of a lot of people at that $250 a plate affair to make up the difference. I wonder if that covered the taxpayers expense for ferrying him and his toys around.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Oct 6, 2011, at 3:47 PM
  • Did you get a free toaster for attending?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Oct 6, 2011, at 4:28 PM
  • Did you get a free toaster for attending?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Oct 6, 2011, at 4:28 PM

Regrets,

Perish the thought. Just for mentioning such a thing, I would be justified in having you hunted down and destroyed like a rabid dog!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Oct 6, 2011, at 4:33 PM
  • I wonder if they served potatoes? Probably not. It had to be one of those pieces of meat about the size of a silver dollar and a vegetable. What more could you ask for for $25,000?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Oct 6, 2011, at 8:06 PM
  • Even at 25 cents a pop I still wouldn't go.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Oct 6, 2011, at 10:25 PM
  • My buddy said if he had to spend $250 he would rather spend it at the ball game. And he don't even like baseball!

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 6, 2011, at 10:42 PM
  • Caddyman is right. Obama does know what he is doing. Destroying the country. The question is are we so unwise and befuddled to let this charlatan get away with it?

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Oct 7, 2011, at 6:20 AM
  • It is still sad commentary there are so many rich people that will back a loser. But then again, these people will get their waivers for the 5% additional penalty for having income. So then the dinner becomes a deductible business expense.

-- Posted by jadip4me on Fri, Oct 7, 2011, at 11:04 AM
  • I think his hardest sell right now is his so-called "jobs bill". Harry Reid can't even get enough democrat senators to vote for it. Again, his lack of leadership and understanding of how to run anything is killing this country.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Oct 7, 2011, at 11:34 AM

Respond to this thread