Speak Out: Missouri House/Senate Special Session

Posted by swampeastmissouri on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 9:44 AM:

A special session was called by the governor this past August regarding the China hub at Lambert Airport in St Louis. The House and Senate reported back to Jefferson City. During the past two months nothing has been accomplished by neither chamber and it appears the expensive special session will go down as non-productive. This has cost tax payers money we don't have but such actions like this just continues to go on like money grows on trees. The people are asking every day when does expensive stunts like this stop doesn't the elected officials listen to the people any more?

Replies (4)

• I haven't kept up with that idea but it seems to me if a hub to distribute incoming Chinese imports via air freight was a good economical idea, someone would be doing it without the city and state financing it. That is, if unneeded regulations are not preventing it.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 11:06 AM
  • How many air freight hubs are needed in this country? Offhand I know that UPS has one in Memphis and I believe there is one in Chicago. If there were truly a need for another hub I would definitely prefer that the private sector take the risk.

-- Posted by Robert* on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 2:08 PM
  • There are several hubs and breakbulks in the US. Memphis is the national hub for air and truck transportation and STL does have the second best location. With FedEx taking up all the night traffic Memphis cannot handle another major hub.

I know that Blythville Arkansas is a good location but finding that many qualified workers there will be tough. They would hire a lot of people from the Bootheel which is good for Missouri. UPS does use it during the Christmas rush.

Giving the tax breaks night not be in the best interest of Missouri. It takes a lot of infrastructure to make the freight business work and that costs money.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 4:22 PM
  • I assumed the big rivally was Lambert and O'Hare.

Shows how little I know about it.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Oct 23, 2011, at 11:51 PM

Respond to this thread