Speak Out: Appointments to the Disability Board

Posted by Unknown Username on Wed, Jan 25, 2012, at 9:19 PM:

What is going on with our county appointments to the Cape County Board for Developmental Disabilities? The answer: nothing. The state mandated 9 person board is down to 5, and the county is openly choosing to not fill the seats. The Cape County web page does not even list the openings with the other vacant seats. Why could this be? To be clear, the CCBDD is not governed by the County in any way. The County Commission has the duty of making appointments to the board, and of setting the disabilities real estate tax rate, but no authority over the board. So why no appointments? The Commission has received applications, but openly state they will not fill the seats. Is this a failure to do their elected duty? Is this legal? Is this embarrassing? Well, I don't know, except for the embarrassing part. The Commission appears to disagree with the actions of the Board, my opinion, based on the reporting of the Missourian. If the Commission has no authority over the Board, should it even matter if they approve of the Board decisions? The answer: In my opinion NO. Is it appropriate to "refuse to play if you can't be the captain" ? No, but perhaps childish, if this is what is happening, and it may not be. I have been told that everyone, 100%, of those attending the county hearing on reducing the disability tax rate voiced strong opinion against lowering the rate, but it was still reduced to one of the lowest rates in Missouri. The third lowest in the entire state, if my memory is correct . It was reported the Commission stated they reduced due to disagreement regarding Board actions. My opinion is the tax reduction is a total embarrassment, to the County Commission. My opinion is the failure to make appointments is a poor showing of character that could make routine business difficult for the Board, but they are rising above it. What is really important is providing services for the developmentally disabled, both those services being provided now and those being proposed as new services for the area. I can't recall positive support for the developmentally disabled coming from our Commission. Voice your concerns, help our disabled, and attend the CCBDD monthly meetings to show support. And let your commissioners know they should to do their job and make some appointments.

Replies (1)

• Your's is a logical post inviting thoughtful opinions. I suspect many of our regular posters like myself are lacking enough knowledge to offer a informed response.

Me'Lange?

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 25, 2012, at 9:59 PM

Respond to this thread