Speak Out: Gas Prices

Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 8:19 AM:

With gas prices on the continue rise it seems the administration is making no effort to address this serious issue that is facing us. In the debate held last night Februrary 22nd 2012 and hosted by CNN not one time did the moderator John King ask any of the four candidates about what they would do if elected President to bring down fuel prices. There is reports that some places in the country are nearing $6.00 per gallon. The gas prices have been above the $3.00 mark majority of the time since President Obama has been in office with no signs of relief in sight. This has placed an extreme hardship on businesses, working families and additional rise in our food cost.

Replies (50)

• swamp: Of course they didn't ask about gas prices because no one has a good answer. Instead they want to talk about contraceptives and religion. I say to the repubs, keep talking social issues and in November you will see a bloodbath. Even repub pundits agree with me on that. Oh, let's not talk about job creation either.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 9:23 AM
  • Howdy,

Who are you directing your outrage to you? Have you forgotten, the Democrats control the White House and the Senate, and they controled the House for the first two years of Obama's stint in the White House. What did they do for America in those two years?

Are you really concerned about the Republicans losing... or is it vicey vercey? :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 9:32 AM
  • Aaaak! Drop the you in the first sentence.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 9:33 AM
  • Obama wished for $5.00 gas prices, to help his supporters in the "Green Energy" businesss.

Let's hope he gets his $5 gas wish on election day. That should get rid of him once and for all.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 9:37 AM
  • Gas price hikes were because we have two big oil men in the whitehouse...... now who's to blame?

The recovery is going along right nicely with the administration's big plan, and don't overlook the small factors like 'economic spending' being boosted by those doing their part in drawing unemployment checks. [per Valorie Jarret]

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 11:07 AM
  • So if I am reading the complaints here correctly, I can expect gas prices to decrease if Obama isn't reelected....

Please explain.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 11:16 AM
  • How about if Obama is gone we can pull the wrench he threw in the gears out, repair the damage and get the flow started in this county again?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 11:21 AM
  • Oil prices are influenced also by speculation.

Obama could change the outlook for investers by lifting moritoriums on exploration and drilling thus easing price somewhat short term and moreso long term. He may be saving this until closer to election time.

Strange that at this time some are reporting the U.S. has a glut of crude on hand.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 12:02 PM
  • We could open up every single location in our country and off its shores to new drilling, add several massive new refineries, and then after 5-10 years of effort and billions in subsidies the amount of additional supply we could bring to market still wouldn't equal more than a few months of rising Asian demand.

-- Posted by Nil on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 12:21 PM

But if we do nothing, and continue to compete for foreigh oil, how long will it take to become self sufficient like Obama promised.

We have heard those, it will take 5 years, it will take 10 years to get on line stories for how long now? It is never going to happen if we do not make a start. Government getting out of the way would be a good start. Forget the subsidies.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 12:32 PM
  • What we got here is too much consumin goin on out there!

Everyone knows all we got to do is air up our tires to save enough to get off foriegn oil.

When world news of the Iranians wanting to block a shipping lane is a significant factor in an oil price spike, that tells me that announcement of a more free market energy policy in the U.S. would have effect on gasoline prices. As Nil says, maybe not that significant but the investment sprurred would make a difference, IMO.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 12:50 PM
  • SO, nobody has an answer. Typical.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 2:02 PM
  • SO, nobody has an answer. Typical.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 2:02 PM
  • They are exporting (Oil Companies) our oil and selling it to countries such as China and Japan and the Obama administration needs to open more drilling a lot of the rigs in the gulf he still has shut down since the BP spill. Were not going to convert over to his green energy over night this will take many years in order to complete. Also, by not signing the Keystone Pipe Line authorization that didn't help either. More of the same with the Modern Day Democratic Party.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 4:22 PM
  • Back in '08, the Democrats had this message on a prominent bill board on Business 60: "Gas was 1.51/gallon when George W. Bush became president." ( Jan 2001). I might have the numbers wrong, it may have had a higher price on the board.

At any rate, When Obama took office, January '09 the national average price of gas was 1.85. In May of '08 the national average was 4.12. http://www.quora.com/What-was-the-price-of-gas-when-Obama-took-office

The national average is now 3.61/gallon. It is expected to rise even higher. http://hosted2.ap.org/OHCOL/8ef5320729ce4298abefc1903704c7d5/Article_2012-02-23-...

-- Posted by swift on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 4:48 PM
  • Obama criticized and blamed Bush when gas prices rose. He blamed the president. Howdy/Dexter/BC - since your dear leader thought the president is responsible for gas prices in '08, do you believe him today when he says the president has nothing to do with it?

Are you 3 that gullible? Is that why you support Billions in green loans to bankrupt companies that lay off 1000's of employees but still get bonuses? How do you keep track of all the dear leaders promises?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 4:55 PM
  • Some supporting reasons - from http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/npr/147261788/what-s-behind-the-rece...

1) the West's current confrontation with Iran and sanctions over that country's nuclear program.

2) "We have 700,000 barrels of refining capacity [that were shut down] in the last three months. That is almost 5 percent of U.S. gasoline production ... now offline." Hmmm, and in addition to these refineries permanently shutdown, there's the refineries temporarily taken offline for the change from winter to summer blends...

3) a big European refinery that sent gasoline to the U.S. has also closed.

4) Because the global market is much more lucrative than the domestic market, for the first time in our history we are not importing gasoline... Ironically, that's because natural gas prices in the U.S. are so low.... American refiners are using this cheap, domestic natural gas to produce the heat needed to crack crude oil into products like gasoline. "That enables us to land gasoline in Mexico, for example, cheaper than Mexican refiners can produce it for,"

The silver lining behind the cloud - higher prices are causing many people to buy fuel-efficient cars, boosting the output in one of the country's major industries.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 5:02 PM
  • Dug old boy, get your facts straight. I never said high gas prices were caused by Bush. And if Obama said Bush was responsible, I disagree with that. Since Bush was an oil man i think a lot of people tried to put 2 and 2 together. Would you give Obama credit for the rise in the Dow Jones? I don't, but it did happen on his shift. So, get your s*** straight before you start accusing me.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 6:55 PM
  • howdy - don't know where you went to school but where I went a "?" is a question. Do you not know the difference?

You said "I say to the repubs, keep talking social issues and in November you will see a bloodbath. Oh, let's not talk about job creation either." As if republicans are the problem. You are, in your own posts, an Obama follower. When gas prices get high under Obama your response is to blame republicans for no jobs?

Talk about getting your "stuff" straight. It's your words, not mine. And learn what a "?" means. I never said you said high prices were caused by Bush. I said Obama - who you follow hook, line and sinker - said that. Must have struck a nerve? (question)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 7:16 PM
  • Nil, More options sound great until more options are controlled by the same. Natural gas or electric in my case was an option for home heating until they were both controlled by

Ameren.

It is clear to me that our ruler has a plan for federal control over all energy options.

-------------------------------------------

Dug, Including "Howdy/Dexter/BC - since your dear leader" doesn't bolster your reading comprehension [a little Theorist lingo there] as I think most would agree aligning BC with Howdy/Dexter is a stretch. :)

-------------------------------------------

Fxpwt, Silver linings ain't all they are cracked up to be.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 9:15 PM
  • Yes - Don't know how I got "BC" in that mix. My bad. Maybe common/caddy/howdy/dexter? Or maybe "Howdy Dexter, how is your common caddy?" :-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 9:26 PM
  • Had my first $50.00 fillup this week--thanks President Obama.

These blue state blockheads don't understand how higher gas prices hurt those of us who aren't able to take the train or the bus to work. Of course they are so dumb they think using food as fuel is a good idea.

Also, as you drive businesses offshore with more EPA and other regulations, you will drive the industry to China and other countries with lax regulation. So not only will the US lose jobs, but the environment will be WORSE OFF because of where the jobs went.

-- Posted by rh3a on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 10:47 PM
  • Just yesterday the President was strongly pushing his green energy program. Last month in his State of the Union address he used Germany as an example of a country having success with there green energy program, last week the Prime Minister of Germany said it was a "money pit" and the German government was preparing to cease any further funding of the project because the wind mills and solar panels only produced 3% of power they had more money going into it then they were receiving back. Converting over to green energy will take several years not over night like the President wants. The Federal Government has loaned at least three companies money for the green energy experiment and all three companies have failed costing the taxpayers of this country nearly $900 million dollars in loans we will never recover. Fossil fuels are here to stay for some time and the far left just don't understand that they want to throw money at something that still needs a lot of study and research for many years to come in order to be successful.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 6:55 AM
  • -- Posted by ~~Rick on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 8:17 AM

Rick,

Re: The Obama vidio.... and people in this country voted for him, knowing full well he had no idea of what he was talking about. If this was the only dumb thing he said you could overlook it, but it is just one of many.

And there are some that are worrying about Santorum sounding like Palin.....

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 9:33 AM
  • Wonder if Caddyman will still sing obama's praises when he has to trade down to a used Geo Metro?

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 9:38 AM
  • Had my first $50.00 fillup this week

-- Posted by rh3a on Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 10:47 PM

Wow, what are you driving, a moped?

I wish I could say I had my first $50 dollar fill up, or $100 or even $150.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 9:48 AM
  • Joe,

If things keep going the way they are, my kids may have to take up a collection for me to come home in April. I do not know what diesel is running, and I don't think my wife can push the motorhome fast enough to keep up with traffic.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 9:57 AM
  • Rick,

Wonder why I haven't noticed that South to North advantage before?

I'll put the wife into training and see if that will help.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 12:22 PM
  • Wheels,

You better hope they really want to see you badly:)

Not sure about further south but diesel is in the $3.85 range here. I have actually been filling up when I hit half a tank instead of waiting till it gets lower. Sad to say, but the shock of $75 for half a tank of diesel is much less than the shock of $150 plus to fill my 40 gallon tank.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 12:34 PM
  • Joe,

My tank is nearly full, except for the little I used to heat with, on a couple of pretty chilly days, otherwise used electric. But when the tank gets close to empty it is going to be a shock. It holds 150 gallons.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 12:39 PM
  • "You ever notice a trip south takes longer to get there than it does coming home ?"

Yes I have Rick... but I always attributed it to I was in a hurry to get there and enjoy myself, and the coming home part, dreading the accumulated crap that I will have to deal with when I get there.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 1:08 PM
  • In the late 80's we borrowed a neighbors 37' Pace Arrow for a family trip to Florida. We thought we were travelling in style, and we were compared to our normal method of tent camping to our destination.

This rig had a chevy 454, got somewhere around 7 mpg. Gas was around the 85 cent range. The 300 hundred and some odd dollars spent round trip for fuel seemed outrageous at the time. The wife and I took the same trip in 2010 in a ford explorer getting a little over 20 mpg. Our fuel cost were around $375 that time. Oh how things change.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 1:13 PM
  • Joe,

The cost of fuel is high, but so is staying in a motel and buying fuel for a car. We enjoy the mode of travel and when you compare what it cost to stay here compared to our condo dwelling friends, we get by cheap. We tow a car, so have that to travel around in while here and all of our utilities are under $150 per month, on out own lot. The condo dwellers we know are paying mostly $1200 to $1500 per month, utilities included. Those are winter rates and go up when spring break starts. We know of one super nice condo that rents for January and February for just over $3600 per month.

So my fuel bill doesn't look so daunting when put in perspective.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 1:26 PM
  • I dont understand the south to north being down hill. I would think going down south would be down hill. The elevation of St Charles is surely higher than the gulf coast. Maybe it's the prevailing NW to SE winds?

Joe, I know the late '80s 454 was a very dependable engine with two faults, mpg and a lot of heat from the exaust manifolds keeping the feet warm in summer.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 2:31 PM
  • I agree Wheels,hotel/rental cost will eat you up in a hurry, especialy on extended stays. We have a smaller type travel trailer that we bought several years ago to take the kids on trips to KY lake and places like that. We plan on getting a nicer more roomy trailer when we both retire and do more traveling. That is if semi-comfortable retirement is still a possible goal for the average person by then.

A little off the original subject of this thread but what caused you to get a motorhome over a travel trailer?

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 2:35 PM
  • Old John,

Being a un-repentent Ford man I will have to say those GM 454's were strong motors in those days. I could probably make from my place to town before needing gas with a 454. Sometimes I wondered with Fords 460. I swear it is one of the only truck engines I have owned where you could actually see the fuel gauge drop as you were driving:)

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 2:42 PM
  • Joe,

I guess I am not totally sure myself, except I saw so many people towing oversized trailers with undersized pickups. Even a 1 ton dually anymore is not enough truck for some of those huge 5th wheels.

But there is no set rule, it is kind of one of those whatever floats your boat things.

When we bought our 2nd one, we bought a 45' unit large enough to live in should we choose to do so, and we did. The idea was we were going to live in it until we sold the house, which we wisely put on the market after housing started to tank. :-( When it sold after 2 years the new condo project we were going to move into was put on hold , so we stayed in the motor home. We find we like it and at this point have no desire to make a change. You might say we downsized a little, going from 4000 sq. ft. to abou 450 sq. ft. Takes a little organizing.

We have everything we need from a washer/dryer, to a dishwasher, to a central vacuum. And if we get the pain to go somewhere, about two hours at the outside puts us on our way. Something else I might mention... I am getting a little lazy in my old days. With the motor home, I park, I push a button the air bags deflate the jacks go down and it is about level. Just a nudge and I raise the front a bit more. Then hit 4 different buttons and the slides go out. If staying for only a night, about all you need at this point is plug in the electric. Living on 50 Amps, nothing like it. :-)

Some people say they cannot deal with their spouse in small quarters.... but then with my sweet and mild mannered disposition, my wife has no problem with it. ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 3:16 PM
  • Wheels are you back yet are still down south? up here we are turning the corner I can feel spring coming on pretty fast.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 3:26 PM
  • We were at the lake a couple years ago and I was able to tour a neighbor campers rig that sounds similar to yours. He had quite the control panel full of buttons and lights. In the time it took him to back in, get set up and be cookin supper, I was still leveling with the manual jacks.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 3:34 PM
  • What's cool is listening to Chicago's WBBN 780am in the morning and hearing that area's gas prices. Then they give you a ph number to call if yoy see lower gas prices. I've thought of calling in and giving them the lowest gas prices found in our area. There is quite a bit of difference.

-- Posted by swift on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 3:38 PM
  • Wheels, You should have stopped at Cape and coaxed and tamed a couple of those glugites to go with you. They sure can pull a load.

As long as I'm spoiling the subject of the thread, I'll mention that the Corvette is in St Louis and St Charles today. George Maharis is sick and Route 66 is without Buzz. Some fun to see footage of the cities in '61.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 3:45 PM
  • Gots to wondering - ok, gasoline prices are going up, and natural gas prices are going down, might be some opportunity here to 'go greener' by saving some serious money and, oh yeah, that environmental thing to boot.

Found that natural gas for vehicles is measured in a term called 'gasoline gallon equivalent' - essentially an amount of natural gas that contains the same energy as one gallon of gasoline - ok, simple enough.

Looked at http://www.altfuelprices.com/ and found that one GGE of compressed natural gas (CNG) is selling for $0.79 to $1.50 for those stations with recently updated pricing.

Apparently, there is only one new model passenger vehicle sold in the States ready to roll on CNG - the Honda Civic GX. http://www.cngnow.com/vehicles/cars-for-consumers/Pages/information.aspx Certainly no powerhouse with its 110hp engine, nor a style magnet... blecccch. MSRP looks to be in the upper $20K range. EPA fuel economy is 27 city / 38 highway miles per GGE. Fuel capacity is 8.03 GGE for an expected range of 216 city / 305 highway miles.

One source suggests the recommended Phill home refueling system for $4500 with a currently available tax credit of $2,000, figure to add in another $500 for the 240VAC electric and natural gas hookup to the unit. http://www.wisegasinc.com/wg-phill.htm

Now for the fun part - assume 10,000 miles per year and compare operating costs with the current steed getting about 25 mpg highway.

Gasoline @ $4.00 per gallon requires 400 gallons at 25mpg to travel 10,000 miles - for an annual fuel cost of $1,600.

CNG at say $1.50 per GGE requires 263 GGEs at 38 mpGGE to travel 10,000 miles - for an annual fuel cost of $394 if purchased from a locally non-existant commercial fueling station.

Using the data sheet for the Phill station and a winged guess for Ameren's residential natural gas at $1.21 per GGE and electric at $0.10 per KWH, requiring $0.19 worth of electric to run the filling unit per GGE - come up with an effective cost of $1.40 per GGE for home fueling. Annual fuel cost for home fueling comes out to $368.

So, an opportunity to save about $1,200 whether commercially-filled or home-filled, for right at 75% savings of the currently assumed fuel bill for 10,000 miles. Ah, but then comes the mess of figuring return-on-investment for the low-to-mid $30K investment (or whatever investment is required to convert a current vehicle) against the expected remaining lifespan of the current vehicle, the corresponding cost differences, and the like.

Perhaps something to consider, but only if one either has home natural gas service (D'Oh!) or a commercial fueling station opens locally.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 5:55 PM
  • Swamp,

We are still down South and will be through March. I don't trust those Spring days in February. I remember a warm weekend either end of February or first of March, followed a week later by about 24 inches of snow at the Lake of the Ozarks. Stuck there from Sunday afternoon to Wednesday afternoon with no electricity. Only thing making it bearable was the neighbors woodpile which we burned nearly all of in the fireplace.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 7:20 PM
  • I remember that one well back in 1979. Be good and be safe enjoy yourself we all will be here when you get back lord willing and the creeks don't rise.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 7:31 PM
  • Old John,

I wish I had picked up a couple of those Glugites in Cape. I bet there is other work I could have found for them to do over the winter.

1961..... I am getting so I cannot remember what 2010 was like.

Fxpwt,

I am going to have to take your word for it, cause I am entirely too lazy to go to all of that work to double check your math.

You remind me of the joke I once heard about the two Nuns, Sister Logical and Sister Mathmatical. How about we just call you Mister Mathmatical? ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

Seriously, thanks for the comparison and all of the research. In someway, i believe there is something the government will do to equalize the prices, like tax hell out of it. No way, long term are they going to let us draw gas out of our line at home and burn it on America's highways.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 7:33 PM
  • Wheels - doggone - overlooked that part.

well, at least good ol' Missouri has dun thought about this - http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/decals.php

Well, there goes $78.50 of the savings :-)~

In addition - "The federal excise tax rate on CNG is currently $0.183 cents per gasoline gallon equivalent." This used to be offset by a $0.50 per GGE tax credit - not sure if this is still in effect.

So the savings gap narrows... If it sounds too good to be true :-)

-- Posted by fxpwt on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 7:51 PM
  • Joe,

I have to admit the amount of manual labor was a factor in my decision. I started my camping experience with a pup tent. Two adults and a two year old in a pup tent is some fun living. I don't care how carefully I would clean the area before putting the tent up, I would always wind up with a rock about the size of a grapefruit and with points on it like a kidney stone right in the middle of my back. We did not have air mattresses in those days. They would have cost more than our tent. I made 74 today and I have come to the conclusion that Manual Labor is a Mexican. I enjoy my comforts.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 7:56 PM
  • I remember that one well back in 1979. Be good and be safe enjoy yourself we all will be here when you get back lord willing and the creeks don't rise.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 7:31 PM

Will do Swamp... Thanks!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 8:33 PM
  • fxpwt, I remember several added propane systems to vehicles in about '73 or so. I think that was when a road tax was added to propane used in vehicles taking away the cost advantantage but the biggest reason as I remember for using propane was to extend range as gasoline shortages were fresh on people's mind. Some folks added extra gasoline tanks.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 24, 2012, at 9:13 PM
  • Rick, high prices partially can be blamed on wall street speculators, running the price up by at least 50 cents, close that part of wall street.

And Obama is history is prices continue to rise.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 6:36 AM
  • The falling value of the dollar is why gasoline prices are rising. The oil producers must charge more as the dollar becomes worth less and less. Thank this administration and the Fed for printing more and more money backed by nothing.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Feb 25, 2012, at 6:59 AM

Respond to this thread