Speak Out: If You Still Smoke On Occasion, Or Maybe The "Gum" Ain't Workin' For You...

Posted by donknome-2 on Tue, Mar 20, 2012, at 3:10 PM:

I recall a few of us that either wanted to cut-down, or better still, stop-smoking.

No, this isn't going to be a self-righteous rant, but maybe it'll help. YES, I still-smoke, and ENJOY, a good-high end cigar---sometimes two, maybe three per week. If you gotta rush-one, just don't even light it. They're made to slowly-savor, enjoy.

But especially during the winter, before beautiful Spring-(cigar)days, I've been guilty of "falling off the wagon" myself, and being ran-over by the cigarette-'wheel'. And sometimes I'll come upon an old-picture, of younger, more-"studly" times, like a beer-an-a-smoke with the guys-n'-gals. Or, even meeting up again, and some still do smoke cigarettes.

(OK, starting to sound like AA-here, no offense intended to the A-A group, in any way.)

Anyhow, have any of you ever tried the latest-version of Electronic-Cigarettes? I have---still do---but, at least when I fall-off the wagon now, I can roll BETWEEN the wheels, instead of IN-FRONT of 'em!☺

Try a starter-set sometime, usually just a bit-shy of $40.00, for the best-ones. They can actually be had a bit-cheaper, through no-less than three CIGAR-company catalogs.(Can't advertise, I guess? But their names start with CI.., TH.., and FA..)But ya' gotta look for 'em, they're in the back-pages.

If you do try it, give yourself at least two-weeks, to begin to enjoy. It's not an overnight-solution. There are many different-nicotine strengths AND flavors available. And, they actually look, feel, and 'smoke' like a cig.

(I found myself lookin' for ashtrays, being careful not to burn-myself, tapping-ashes, and resisting the urge to "give it a fling" when done, for the first-week!) All needless worries, because there's NO heat, NO smoke, NO ashes---an' you don't even stink when you're done.

Not-too good outside in wind. But, great if you're inside a vehicle, or just sittin' on your screened-deck, or even inside.

So if you'd like? Give-'em a try. Tried them before? Try a different-system this time---there's been MANY-changes made, many new systems, in even the past three-months.

Give it a whirl....!☺

Replies (31)

• There goes that ol' devil. Temptation after seven years...it just isn't gonna work. Nope. No way.

But, you enjoy. If I tried it, I'd soon buy the real thing. There can't possibly be anything like a good cup of coffee and a smoke.

-- Posted by InReply on Tue, Mar 20, 2012, at 3:43 PM
  • Yes, I have one. But I disagree, it's not like the real thing. I am constantly losing the dam thing, talk about having a nicotine fit then and I find the charge goes out at the most inopportune time. My solution to this problem was to buy two. Well...there they sit, in my dresser drawer along w/all my fancy flavored cartridges. I tried the gum, the patch, the prescription medication....it all seems to make the withdrawal worse. Cold turkey is the only way to go or so I hear anyway. ☺

Rick, I knew you had something to say. :o)~

-- Posted by Turnip on Tue, Mar 20, 2012, at 6:59 PM
  • IN REPLY: If I were a betting-man? I'd bet you wouldn't. I had been 'sneaking' in a Camel-Wide or two, on occasion. They no longer have the original-'punch', of their predecessors since 'The-Gov' started regulating how much nicotine they could NOT add, what, about two-years ago? Nothin' but 'air-balls', anymore. I got NO-satisfaction from them whatsoever, anymore.

My first order of the e-cig was in extra-strong. Way-y-y stronger than any CURRENT-brand. I actually re-ordered the lite-version, so that I could truthfully enjoy.

NO WAY that I'm trying to 'convert' you, or anyone else. It just works for me, thought it might help someone else, who has one-too-many of those 'black-dogs' to keep track of!

This way, I can put a leash on ONE-of 'em, anyhow...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Tue, Mar 20, 2012, at 11:39 PM
  • RICK: You're exactly right, no-explanation needed.

We're BOTH on the same-side of the aisle here, honest. I know exactly "where you comin' from"!☺

It's just that MY-favorite 'pew' in that aisle needed a lot-more 'padding' than yours....!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Tue, Mar 20, 2012, at 11:51 PM
  • TURNIP: I don't wanna 'pry', but: Which system do you have? Did you buy it recently?

Yeah, you have to 'pace'-yourself with the battery(s). Mine has two---regular and longer, '100's-style. The longer-one lasts better, although they use the same-battery. For some reason, it just draws-smoother, and longer. Has three optional chargers: 110-house, 12-volt auto, and a USB-charger, for your PC.

The model I have is an ElitenSmoke, with the rechargeable-Lithium Ion-battery. Doesn't have any charging-voltage 'memory', like the older Ni-Cads.

Like I said earlier: I'm not here to judge, and especially not to 'convert'.

Just trying to help leash the "Old Black Dog" a bit.

Heh! I like that metaphor...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 12:19 AM
  • And, ME'LANGE: Yeah, me too, on the aroma. Some things you just can't forget! Like that fresh-aroma of a newly-opened pack, even before they're lit!

Except for ME, todays' cigs don't even have THAT-anymore. Maybe it's only my-olefactory-system?

(Fifteen-cent attempt, at a two-dollar word, there! Hey, if Louden Wainright can use it, why not me?☺)

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 12:27 AM
  • Smokers in general are trashy. Look at all the cigarette butts and empty packages laying all over the streets and being thrown in people's yards.

-- Posted by Make no mistake about it on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 4:17 AM
  • donk, Vapor4Life. I purchased the kit, came with two batteries, 5 cartomizers and 1 charger. Each time I order more cartomizers, I get a handful free. Not sure exactly what I paid but thinking it was somewhere around $50. A friend suggested that brand. ??

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 8:20 AM
  • Rick, and your not so inconspicuous jabs are not the same, right? ☻ It's OK, I can take it.

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 8:24 AM
  • Yeah, RICK---but look at when it snowed-last around here?☺

C'mon, now---play nice together, an' we can all enjoy a cig, a 'gar, a chew, a bong---or whatever twists your crank!

Even ME'LANGE has left my head on my shoulders so far.☺ And, though not on this-thread, that "other-link" she passed-along a day or so ago is quite, well---convenient! All of many, in one-spot!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 10:24 AM
  • TURNIP: Ooooh, I wish I could just flat-out drop a complete, current list of the kit-options on here, but they'd "86"-it for being free-advertising.

Sometimes, what works for someone-else won't even break the crust for others, I know that. But, this(e-cig)thing is a constantly-evolving thing, esp. in the last six-months or so.

I can't "slam" you for smoking, as I still do, too, except that I prefer a cigar, now. I didn't enjoy such until I retired, and a friend offered me to try one of his Macanudo Hyde-Park smokes---I was immediately hooked, and even had the time to ENJOY it in-peace, for once!

But it's just sometimes when a fella(gal)has to, well...???

Let me look around, see if I can find a recent-link to several options, 'cause I know where ya' comin' from, and would like to help.

Maybe we can find you an even-MORE-disgusting habit to keep ya' busy?

Ever chew Red Man? It's a little-'stemmy', but???

(Yeah, THAT-phase lasted exactly six-months, for me, even 'back-then'. I just couldn't get the 'enjoyment' out of it, like my much-older predecessors...!)

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 10:50 AM
  • RICK: Yeah, I let it slip: I said the "B"-word.☺

Thompson Cigar Co. out of Miami sells some pretty-nice ones. 'Cept they call 'em hookahs.

Have WHEELS pick you one up, bring it back---save you $hipping-charge$...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 10:54 AM
  • TURNIP: Here's a pretty-good link, for starters.

http://www.smokelessecigarettereviews.com/

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 11:02 AM
  • RICK: Yeah, I know.

But I like the "ECHO" it produces......!!!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 11:18 AM
  • Innocence? Bongs? hookahs? ....what the heck have I missed. Oh well, my yard looks EXCELLENT! ☺

Thanks for the links, donk. But next time, cold turkey ALL THE WAY. Lord help those around me! ☺ ☻ ☺ ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 12:26 PM
  • Sure there is, there's next week, next month...I could go on and on. ☺ ☻ ☺ ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 1:15 PM
  • whoooooooooooooosh....whhhhhoooo (cough cough) whoooooo....ooooooshoooo..(cough)....(snort...whoooooooooo...feel your breath leaving your body.....take another draw in......suck in, exhale....do you feel it yet?.....ahhhh. the lungs beg for more..... now how can anyone wanna stop doing that after doing it for 20 or 30 years?

-- Posted by cadillacman on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 1:51 PM

After watching my grown children stuggle with giving up smoking, it was really simple. I decided I had to be the one to set an example. Besides, it's a lot more fun to play with the grands than to puff on another cigarette. And it was after 43 years.

I stopped letting the phone control me, years ago. I gave up those nightly cocktails some years later. And then I stopped smoking. Now I keep my hands busy with other things.

-- Posted by InReply on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 4:42 PM
  • TURNIP: That's only one-link of hundreds-more. And, you're probably right, about "cold-turkey". And probably easier during the outdoor-months, when you can stay busy otherwise.

Ironically, I stopped any "...gotta have one!!!"-smoking when I retired, and was no longer regularly around smokers---and didn't even realize it, until the 'cigar-bug' bit me about a year-later! Some can smoke those 24/7, too, but not me. I'll settle for 2-to-3 per week, and then only one per chosen day.

Do yourself a gradual phase-down, until you find that one day, you've stopped all but two or three. From there on, the ball is in YOUR-court!

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 8:37 PM
  • IN REPLY: I think CADDILACMAN was being sarcastic---I hope?---'cause he actually made a good-point!

As for YOUR-experience in stopping? You're 110% correct, in the fact that a still-young, still-growing, family gives one a SUPER-CHARGED incentive to stop...

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 8:44 PM
  • ME'LANGE: Yeah, she can do it, when she's ready. I'm gonna stop pressuring her, or anyone else about it. Nothin' worse than that little-gnat that keeps flyin' in your ears an' nose, when you get tensed-up to start with!☺

(P.S.---Ironically, that "link" you refer to works faster/smoother than the paid-for version(s)---or at least it does for me? Kinda like the difference between I.E.-9, and Mozilla Firefox. I gotta have my 'fox'....!!!☺)

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 8:56 PM
  • Me'Lange, thanks for the vote of confidence. Rick is more less saying the same thing in his own lil' odd, kooky kind of way. ☻

No matter what method you choose, cold-turkey, e-cig or hookahs (lol); it ain't easy. Which brings me to another topic:

How many people think nicotine should be banned? If so, have you ever used the drug?

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Mar 21, 2012, at 9:11 PM
  • Good question, Turnip. Nope. I don't think nicotine should be banned. That should still be left to the individual to decide.

You know, all the years I smoked, mosquitoes left me alone. Can't say the same now.

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 12:28 AM
  • If people think the violence caused by the illegal drug trade is bad, it would probably pale in comparison to the illegal tobacco trade that would result from a nicotine ban.

There would be a much bigger market out there for nicotine addicts such as myself than say, meth users or heroin addicts. Many of us here in the hills still grow a few tobacco plants in our gardens for personal consumption. I am sure a nicotine ban would rival the times of our prohibition era moonshiner ancestors.

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 8:29 AM
  • JOE DIRTE: And that's where another big-difference in tobacco-'use' is: The type used for cigarettes is TOTALLY-different from that used in hand-rolled cigars, or chew, for that matter. And, I know this ain't news to you, but---nicotine does not come exclusively from tobacco. Most all garden-plants, esp. tomatoes, produce their own-type of nicotine, as a natural pesticide. I've heard of professional-gardeners spraying a nicotine-solution on their prized flowering-plants, just for that reason.

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:15 AM
  • ~If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again. ☺

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:18 AM
  • Sorry if I upset nerves---and maybe a stomach or two---with this next blurb: How many of you remember, oh, God only knows how many years ago now, when they tried a cigarette-alternative that used ground/shredded COCONUT-HUSKS, for a filler?

I don't know about the nicotine-content, but after the first/last-drag of THAT-concoction?

Must've affected my mind in a bad-way, because I suddenly got MEAN, and went lookin' for the fella who told me "...how healthy an alternative they would be...!"☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:27 AM
  • Sorry, TURNIP---I'll go away now...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:28 AM
  • "You know, all the years I smoked, mosquitoes left me alone. Can't say the same now."

-- Posted by InReply

Hmmmmm. That's fascinating and very true in our case. Mr. Turnip gripes ALL the time & he has been smoke-free for about 5 yrs. But on the other hand, if I'm outdoors, I'm usually smoking. Maybe it's the smoke. ??

"-nicotine does not come exclusively from tobacco. Most all garden-plants, esp. tomatoes, produce their own-type of nicotine, as a natural pesticide."

- Posted by donknome-2

Interesting. I did not know that.

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:30 AM
  • "-nicotine does not come exclusively from tobacco. Most all garden-plants, esp. tomatoes, produce their own-type of nicotine, as a natural pesticide."

- Posted by donknome-2

Right you are Donk. Nicotine is found in somewhat lower levels in many other plants like tomato, potato or egg plant. Alot kids used to dry and smoke milk weed, which containes low amounts of nicotine, but the tiny "buzz" was not enjoyable do to the fact the taste of the smoke would have most loosing their lunch:)

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:43 AM
  • And now you know why you never heard the Vulcan, Dr. Spock of Star-Trek, in need of a "hit": Being a plant himself, it just came naturally to him.☺

Sorry again, TURNIP---but when you ended with, "Interesting. I did not know that."---I couldn't resist!!!

Sounded just like ol' Spock.

"That's fascinating, Captain. Fascinating, indeed."

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:43 AM
  • JOE: Grape-vines weren't too-bad, once you got past the gag-reflex.

Not to mention the ANTS. You had to look closely, before you 'lit-up'...☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Thu, Mar 22, 2012, at 10:45 AM

Respond to this thread