Speak Out: A Joyous Easter To All!

Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Apr 6, 2012, at 9:28 AM:

This weekend marks the annual Christian celebration of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all, Christians and non-christians alike, a joyous Easter season.

Replies (10)

• Shapley, Same back to you!

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Apr 6, 2012, at 9:37 AM
  • And to you as well sir!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Apr 6, 2012, at 10:31 AM
  • Happy Easter to yall

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Fri, Apr 6, 2012, at 12:46 PM
  • Same to you Shapley have safe and happy easter weekend.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Apr 6, 2012, at 2:09 PM
  • Happy Easter, y'all!

Rick, you're something else! Here's Matthew 10:14 copied and pasted from Biblegateway

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/

"14And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet."

LOL! Not gonna do it!

Just for fun, after you dye your couple of raw eggs, give them to a "friend"!

-- Posted by swift on Sat, Apr 7, 2012, at 11:17 AM
  • I wish you all a joyful holiday!

BTW. Does anyone know the origin of the word/name 'Easter'?

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Apr 7, 2012, at 11:31 AM
  • Comes from the name of the goddess who is translated Ashtoreth. The only time Easter is mentioned in the Bible is in the Book of Acts. It was actually a mistranslation in the King James. As the early Christian Church grew, church authorities began to give a Christian alternative to pagan holidays. Easter was an easy one! The Jewish Passover is a movable holiday. Anyway, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter for detailed information on the meaning and history.

-- Posted by swift on Sat, Apr 7, 2012, at 11:54 AM
  • May everyone have a blessed day as we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus.

Happy Easter to all.

-- Posted by InReply on Sun, Apr 8, 2012, at 1:30 AM
  • Happy Easter. Well off to church. I hope the roof is in good shape.......

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Apr 8, 2012, at 9:02 AM
  • Swift, Thank for stirring my mind with your post regarding Easter origins.

Based on several different recorded dates relating to the time of Christ's death, there are several things that don't line up. Being it was more than 500 years afterward that the world began to standardize a calender to the basis of what we use today, many factors are variable as to the date of His birth and death.

I think I remember reading that when Constintine's cross was discovered in 1594, that led to further exploration of the foundation of St Peters wherein information indicating a time line of a new basis for dating back to the date of the crucifixation.

The point I got of that reading was that the Vatican has never released all the factual history that archeology supports, rather leaving to faith that the gospels do not contradict other historians nor one another. Per Luke one could surmise Jesus was about 58 at his death and there is the confusion of a birth date of 6 or 7 BC.

Anyway it is all too complicated for me.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Apr 8, 2012, at 12:54 PM

Respond to this thread