Speak Out: White House details fiscal cliff spending cuts

Posted by Rick Vandeven on Sat, Sep 15, 2012, at 1:58 PM:

Gee, who could have saw this coming?

Replies (12)

• Gee, who could have saw this coming?

The Fed has the answer. Print more money!

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Sep 16, 2012, at 12:00 AM
  • I tried to go back and find the thread where we discussed the historical path of countries that have been there before. Seems like I remember the first mistake is printing more money in hope of paying off debt with inflated money.

Roosevelt got away with it by calling in all the gold and paying a set price for it and then declaring it was worth a lot more than the government paid for it.

In today's American economy there is reasonable question if all the gold in Fort Knox could even make a small dent in our debt if there is indeed gold in Fort Knox.

Maybe someone can relate better what we discussed concerning the Weimar replublic lessons.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Sep 16, 2012, at 12:46 AM
  • Paper and ink are valuable. Leave it to the federal govt to make them worthless.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Sun, Sep 16, 2012, at 6:09 AM
  • Very scary times my friends. 16 trillion dollar plus debt and counting but you will be surprise of the people that really don't care or even have a clue what is going on as long as they receive there check, amazing.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Sun, Sep 16, 2012, at 7:26 AM
  • No, I wouldn't be surprised. The average bear doesn't care as long as it doesn't mess up their trip to the lake, river, Branson, etc.

Instead of flipping on CNN or C-SPAN they're watching the next college football game. I don't have a thing against football. I love football. Like I said the other day, a guy I met at the store, a US Navy retired SEAL, didn't know what had happened at the Embassy 2 days after the fact. I know, everybody has stuff going on in their lives, but I thought that was weird.

Lets see...100 Billion dollars in cuts...if we could maintain that, we would be out of debt by the year 2172...

-- Posted by dchannes on Sun, Sep 16, 2012, at 8:53 AM
  • I really like this video. They guy shows what 100 million in budget cuts looks like. So for this purpose, that would be 250 pennies. I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWt8hTayupE

-- Posted by dchannes on Sun, Sep 16, 2012, at 9:23 AM
  • I think we should declare every day between now and election day..... EMPTY CHAIR DAY!

http://www.therightscoop.com/happy-national-chair-day/

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Sep 16, 2012, at 10:04 AM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Sun, Sep 16, 2012, at 10:23 AM
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=end...

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Sep 16, 2012, at 10:23 AM

Ain't it da troot Edith.

-- Posted by dchannes on Sun, Sep 16, 2012, at 12:55 PM
  • Archie wasn't funny.... he was right!!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Sep 16, 2012, at 1:36 PM
  • I have no problem with cutting spending, which is not the same as 'cutting the budget', given that we don't have a budget.

The lack of a budget is the primary reason we have to deal with these spending cuts now. Harry Reid is the primary reason we don't have a budget. Get the picture?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sun, Sep 16, 2012, at 3:28 PM
  • The problem is, we have to cut 'mandatory spending' in order to achieve meaningful spending reform, but we can't cut 'mandatory spending' without reform to the programmes that mandate it. As a result, we make our cuts on 'discretionary spending', much of which entails the constitutional duties of government (such as national defense) while we ignore the source of our problem - entitlements.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Sun, Sep 16, 2012, at 3:31 PM

Respond to this thread