Speak Out: Police Officer And His Wife Face Jail Time For Saving A Deer.

Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 3:41 PM:

http://www.wthr.com/story/20711538/connersville-police-officer-and-his-wife-face...

"CONNERSVILLE - A central Indiana couple faces criminal charges for trying to save an injured deer.

"I've caught a guy that's killed three people," explained Connersville police officer Jeff Counceller.

"Counceller has spent his 14-year career as a police officer, locking up the bad guys.

"We've never had any criminal convictions. We're good people," added his wife Jennifer.

"The Councellers, though, have found themselves on the other side of the law recently. The couple may face 60 days behind bars.

"The reason comes down to a little deer Jeff rescued two years ago after he found it injured on a porch during a police call.

"I was gonna put her back in the woods, but I seen the injuries and I knew they were life threatening so I called Jennifer," recalled Jeff.

"Jennifer, a nurse, thought she could help.

"I couldn't let her just die there," said Jennifer.

"We called her little orphan Dani. She's definitely changed our lives," she added.

"The couple nursed Dani back to health, even bottle feeding her.

"I had to set my alarm every two hours. We just kind of took turns. Every two hours we had to feed her and irrigate her wounds and spray more medicine on it," explained Jennifer.

"I had her standing up on the second day that I got her back and she was you know, walking and I knew she was making improvements," said Jennifer.

"Not enough, though, said the Councellers to just release the fawn back into the wild quickly.

"She was just too small to survive," Jennifer explained.

"At one point, the Councellers said they called several deer habitats across the state to see if one of them could take Dani. The couple said they were told that they were too full at that point.

"So the Councellers built a pen for Dani in their backyard, right near the woods, until the deer could grow bigger and stronger."

Replies (12)

• I would be more than happy to contribute to a legal defense fund for these folks. Compassionate people in my book. I would have done the same thing.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 4:23 PM
  • I had a rabbit once that we kids saved until it was strong enough to make it on it's own. Then I released it at the edge of Mom's garden. I was about 8 or 9 then, in my 70's now.

Questions: Do you think the statute of limitations have run out... or do I have 60 days hanging over my head?

And.... do you think that rabbit is still living?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 6:38 PM
  • -- Posted by howdydoody on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 4:23 PM

I agree.......

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 7:45 PM
  • -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 7:56 PM
  • How was it determined that the tame deer was a danger to society?

The next time some one ruins a vehicle hitting one of the DNR's deer, the DNR should pay for it.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 8:06 PM
  • I still wondering how a hillside at P&G was tagged as a wetland?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 8:16 PM
  • I think this fits the definition of stupid bureaucracy. Now I wonder why the state of Indiana, a primarily Republican state (just an observation), would stoop to such levels of wasting money.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 5:53 AM
  • Same reason Democratic states (just an observation) stoop to such levels in wasting money. Praise be to dems and repubs!! Let's elect some more of them.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 6:29 AM
  • This is just another example where common sense by our government and society has went to the sidelines. What has happen to common sense in this country? these are good people and they should not even be going through this night mare.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 6:54 AM
  • Regret: Thanks for the heads up. I will be matching your contribution. I see where they have raised $2,000 so far.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 9:13 AM
  • I know a guy who's wife killed a deer with the car during deer season. He showed up and asked for the deer. Sure, you just need a tag to transport it. How do I get that? Take the deer to the county seat. How do I do that without a transport tag? You could just donate it to the school. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 10:45 AM
  • -- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 5:53 AM

Make it political Reasoning. If this were happening in Illinois and a Conservative Poster had made a statement like that it would have caused a multitude of posts by Common or someone like you.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 11:03 AM

Respond to this thread