Speak Out: 7-year-old interrogated by NYPD for 10 hours: family sues

Posted by Some Random Guy on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 10:19 AM:

A 7-year-old Bronx boy's family says he was handcuffed after being falsely accused of stealing $5 from another student after school.

His mother, Frances Mendez, told the New York Post Wilson Reyes was "interrogated" by police for 10 hours on Dec. 4.

"My son was crying, 'Mommy, it wasn't me! Mommy, it wasn't me!' I never imagined the cops could do that to a child. We're traumatized," Mendez told the New York Post last night.

"Imagine how I felt seeing my son in handcuffs!" she said. "It was horrible. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.. I couldn't believe what I was seeing."

Family attorney Jack Yankowitz filed a $250 million claim against the city and the New York Police Department.

He said Wilson was handcuffed and held in a room at P.S. X114 in the Bronx for four hours, then transported to a police precinct. He allegedly was held there for six hours and charged with robbery.

The Post says the city dropped the charge Dec. 26. A spokesman declined to comment.

School officials say the incident occurred off school grounds. It referred inquiries to the NYPD.

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Family/2013/0130/7-year-old-interrogated-by...

Another case of power mad thugs.

Replies (24)

• I say crucify him... and get off that poor doctor's arse down in Florida that owes the IRS millions and is hauling Democratic politicians around in his airplane.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 10:30 AM
  • Good thing the kid didn't shoot anyone with his finger or draw a picture of a gun.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 11:37 AM
  • Doughnut eaters gone nuts.

-- Posted by Therealworld on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 11:54 AM
  • Sock Puppet,

I haven't had a doughnut in over a week.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 12:06 PM
  • Diss,

You a "Doughnut Eater" also? It appears BC and Old John are. The Sock Puppet couldn't have been speaking of me, I rarely eat doughnuts... they make me fat.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 12:53 PM
  • No one said anything about the amount the suit is for. $250 Million.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 2:52 PM
  • No donuts Wheels hell I'll send you some.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 4:41 PM
  • The police obviously had good information that this 7 year old was the thief. Personally, if said parents had done their job, the child would not have stolen another's money.

I see nothing wrong with police using this sort of shock treatment in hopes that the thief learns a lesson his parents should have taught him.

-- Posted by Otoe on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 4:46 PM
  • Swamp,

Can you make em glazed? ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 4:59 PM
  • Wheels, I eat donuts when someone brings them which happens sometimes, but I can't remember buying any for a long time.

Posted by js68520, Of course, if the police say it is so, that should be good for some severe punishment.

Regret, We live in the land of opportunity, might as well not let a bad situation go to waste.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 5:28 PM
  • Doughnut eaters = Cops. Geesh some old men think everything is about them.

I see nothing wrong with police using this sort of shock treatment in hopes that the thief learns a lesson his parents should have taught him.

-- Posted by js68520 on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 4:46 PM

I really feel sorry for you if you think this is a appropriate way to treat a 7 year old. Did you also see the part that said FALSELY accused. Hope they get everything they are asking for.

-- Posted by Therealworld on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 6:50 PM
  • 3 in 1

So they should get a quarter of a billion dollars? You are part of the problem since you don't know the value of a dollar.

They had him at the station 4 hours and then at a holding facility for 3 so how was he interrogated for 7 hours? Now this was the kids account that he was interrogated but we know how honest children are when they are accused. You must be one of those parents that believe your kid would never do anything wrong.

I read this:

"The other child involved in the altercation, 9-year-old Seth Acevedo, told the Daily News that Wilson had a history of attacking him.

"Wilson was the worst bully," Seth told the News. "He would call me names. He would punch and kick me. I wish they never took the cuffs off of him.""

Poor sweet little thing.....

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 7:59 PM
  • You are part of the problem since you don't know the value of a dollar.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 7:59 PM

Again you speculate on people and things you do not know anything about. Trying to be the Bully of the SE Missourian internet forums again are you ? You are part of the problem because you live your life stuck in 1970.

But, back to the story. Interrogating a 7 year old. What kind of power trip were these people on. Bet they got their jolly's off on it. They won't get a quarter billion, but will get enough.

-- Posted by Therealworld on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 10:09 PM
  • Again you speculate on people and things you do not know anything about. Trying to be the Bully of the SE Missourian internet forums again are you ? -- Posted by 3forone on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 10:09 PM

Agreed.This is about the most Homophobia I have ever seen in one place. But, what would you expect. -- Posted by 3forone on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 10:18 PM

Sounds like the bully-accuser is a bully?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 11:01 PM
  • Sounds like the bully-accuser is a bully?

-- Posted by Dug on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 11:01 PM

Did I name anyone specific dug ? No but you sure love your name calling. You should check the forum rules. Almost all of your post are filled with calling someone names or labels.

-- Posted by Therealworld on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 7:07 AM
  • Welll, bully for all of you.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Feb 2, 2013, at 3:36 PM
  • "You are part of the problem because you live your life stuck in 1970."

So nowadays you give some momma that raised a bully kid a quarter of a billion dollars without even checking out a few facts. Fact one and it is the toughest is it was the kids recollection.

Like this kid. He said he didn't do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeKUm8bGBxU

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 12:31 AM
  • So I guess we can say Spaniard is all for giving a mother that doesn't do her job 250K. That is about par for the coarse.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Feb 3, 2013, at 10:41 AM
  • BCStoned

I hope they took him to the hospital afterwords. Because they most likely throw him down some stars a couple of time. Because they are copes and that is what they do.

-- Posted by Some Random Guy on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 4:49 PM
  • Because they are copes and that is what they do.

-- Posted by Some Random Guy on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 4:49 PM

Even a bad cop will help a kid.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 5:34 PM
  • We Regret To Inform U

Yes with a teaser to the face.

-- Posted by Some Random Guy on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 9:56 PM
  • So I guess we can say that Wiffle is all for armed government agents abusing the civil rights of children.

Wiffle = pro govt abuse.

-- Posted by Spaniard on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 12:37 PM

Heck span. You want them robbing me of hard earned money by force to give it to you.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 4:38 PM
  • Old username. When gets frustrated he uses that.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 7:01 PM
  • So was Ike once Meg?

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 7, 2013, at 7:19 PM

Respond to this thread