Speak Out: Charity and community service

Posted by Old John on Tue, Nov 24, 2009, at 11:16 PM:

The season upon us is one of giving. And their are so many causes and reasons to give. Most of us as in any time of the year are happy to give to local efforts to help less fortunate and make a difference in lives and causes we care about.

But why does it seem that people insist on calling it "giving back"? That term to me means taking care of your parents when they are old and making them proud that you have bettered youself due to their rearing. But I think as it is used so often today it promotes the thinking that we owe something to someone just because we are in the community. "Give back to the community"

That defeats the purpose of giving which is to give freely because you feel it is right. Just my thoughts. I would welcome yours.

Replies (57)

• You gotta first "git" something before you can "give" anything back....

First Laws of Physics

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 9:33 AM
  • Giveback has become a code word for take away and give to those who we need to vote for us, because we have created the environment where they cannot survive any other way. That's what politicians and self appointed elite do, at least until the golden geese become turnips.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 9:34 AM
  • Blogbuds, I don't view this as a political debate.

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 9:48 AM

Oh, but it is. And when you take away from those who do give willingly (well, tax deductions notwithstanding), they have to fill the void - so they acquire more power over the needy; in fact create more needy. When the needy begin to outnumber those who use to give, and those who have to giveback ... well, I'm not sure what happens then. Yes Me'Lange, it is all politics.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 10:27 AM
  • Me'lange I didn't mean it as a political topic, but maybe there is room for politics.

I can think of no greater purpose or reward for helping someone, via giving or just lending a hand than the pleasure derived from being able to do so. Sometimes it is just helping a neighbor or sneaking in and leaving a box of tomatoes at a senior gathering place. Whatever the venue, I wouldn't remind you of the need to give back through my charity and go to radio and newspaper to tout my good deeds. That would diminish your pleasure. Politcally, many take that route.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 10:39 AM
  • Me'Lange is correct. Sorry, I didn't mean to impy your perspective is poitical. And if the phrase has that meaning it is not. My original post was meant to learn. Thanks to all who replied.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 10:54 AM
  • Blogbud, I choose to live a good part of my life without a political monster hiding under the bed or in the closet haunting me. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

-- Posted by Me'Lange on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 10:39 AM

Heh, it's not the good part of your life we're talking about.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 1:45 PM
  • This just seems to be a matter of semantics, like Old John, I don't like the implication of the term "give back", but the result is the same.

I personally think giving should remain a private issue and find patting oneself on the back for their "giving" distasteful.

I believe James and I view this the same way.

-- Posted by D'oh on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 3:22 PM
  • Agree with blogbuds as well as with you, Old J:

"... as it is used so often today it promotes the thinking that we owe something to someone just because we are in the community."

The term 'giving back' appears to be an attempt to create an inner sense of guilt ... That illusion that we do actually owe 'the community' which we have supported with our income, property and sales taxes, our charitable contributions.

Rick: "if a person is going to "give" , it should be the year round , not just on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas."

How very, very true!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 3:49 PM
  • I'm sure that the phrase probably means something different to everyone but I've never really viewed the phrase "giving back" as repaying something that was owed, I've always viewed it more as returning some of the good will that has been lent to me.

For example, maybe your postal carrier brought a package that wouldn't fit in your mailbox to your door rather than trying to stuff it in anyway or taking it back to the post office. Maybe your neighbor picked your trashcans up out of the road on a windy day and brought them back to your house. Maybe somebody helped you shovel snow last winter. Whatever, someone has probably gone out of their way for you or done you a favor, maybe without you even realizing it.

I guess I have always just viewed it as a gentle reminder to return the favor when the opportunity presents itself. I see what you are saying but I don't think I have ever really looked at it that way.

-- Posted by DADES on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 4:29 PM
  • And some will be condescending and self righteous.

-- Posted by D'oh on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 5:06 PM
  • Me'Lange,

Now that's the spunk I like.

-- Posted by D'oh on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 5:17 PM
  • Me'Lange,

And someone is the poorer for it.

-- Posted by D'oh on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 5:28 PM
  • Me'Lange,

I am sure many of us are the same whether we like to admit it or not. I am fairly emotional myself and kind of like it that way.

I will be thinking about you tomorrow and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Have a good evening and good night; out.

-- Posted by D'oh on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 5:42 PM
  • Dades If not mistaken, your 4:29 post describes what has been called "pay it forward". There was once a coin circulating that was used to pass forward each time you did a good deed. Never seen one, wondered if it had someone's name on it though.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 6:29 PM
  • Here is a story about an individual who chose to "give back to the community"...

http://www.elpasotimes.com/nationworld/ci_13852655

Like the old saying goes, "no good deed goes unpunished".

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 9:11 PM
  • Lumpy,

I suppose living in a dumpster would be safer... unless of course you happen to be drunk or asleep on collection day.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 9:46 PM
  • I don't hold with altrusism. Only honest trade of values between free consenting people.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Nov 26, 2009, at 8:08 AM
  • No body should have to be shamed into giving back or lending a helping hand.

There are groups that offer help the year round like: VFW, American leigion, Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc.

I'm very active with the military vets. if a person "wants to give" they can anytime. No one has to wait until the holidays.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Thu, Nov 26, 2009, at 8:17 AM
  • Theorist - hopefully as you live some life, experience more of it's great joys, and painful moments - and all those simple pleasures in between; you'll see that the stuff fantasies are made of exist in abundance. The next time you see a penney on the ground, one of those pennies from Heaven, pick it up, say a little prayer - then smile and say Hi! to a strangers, or think how you might do some small thing for someone in need. Life's simple pleasures, don't let them pass. Stop and smell the roses, the coffee or the fresh scent of life.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all. Tis a pleasure to live in a country where we can poke a little fun and share our thoughts and concerns. Grab the ring, pay it forward.

Later.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Thu, Nov 26, 2009, at 10:08 AM
  • I always wondered what packaged salt peepers taste like!

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 27, 2009, at 5:52 PM
  • Or maybe he's an out of work computer programmer or a college student.

-- Posted by riregrist on Sat, Nov 28, 2009, at 2:46 PM
  • Acts more like a professional taker to my way of thinking. The temporarily unemployed or down on their luck person would be more apt to be grateful for any help given.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 28, 2009, at 3:48 PM
  • clearly a conservative trying to be funny

-- Posted by ho ho ho on Sat, Nov 28, 2009, at 6:06 PM
  • I said I didn't mean for this to be political. But now that it is, here goes! Maybe the person dissatisfied with the quality of the delivered meal is just someone trying to get through life the best way available. I know a lot of folks with cell phones, a large display of DVDs, internet connections and other stuff that call every year for assistance with heating in the winter while recieving food year round. Tis the season. Have compassion. It not their fault they were taught at an early age to be dependant on the government. Simply a product of the thinking "We want to hep you" and you vote for us.

Some one please tell be, who was helped?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Nov 28, 2009, at 6:43 PM
  • The meal would of been lot better. but when it got mine delivered to me and my family . they was turned up on the back side. instead of setting flat like it should of been, the salt and peeper pack was mixed in the food. found them when taking a bite. reminds me of the food put in the garbage and taken out

-- Posted by johnthepoormenlost on Fri, Nov 27, 2009, at 3:08 AM

OK this was posted on today's article about the Salvation Armies dinners yesterday.

This is the very reason many people hate to give their help or money. One of the comments was if he was getting free meals how can he afford internet and a computer.

-- Posted by Mr. Wiffle on Wed, Nov 25, 2009, at 5:42 PM

Dear John,

This is where this particular conversation began. I think that was what you were asking.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 28, 2009, at 6:57 PM
  • Wheels, If so would you agree it has been a good conservion? I look foreward to more being said. So far we may be short on other views. Where's the Cadllac on this? Surely someone thinks different.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Nov 28, 2009, at 8:47 PM
  • No problem with the conversation to this point. I would love to hear Cadillac's take. Or even better the Poor Man Lost's explanation

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 28, 2009, at 9:39 PM
  • OK, here's my take. johnthepoormenlost is probably old and grumpy. SOME older folks like to complain. It's their right, some would say. I can relate, worked with elderly for many years. Can't make 'em happy. Sound familiar?? ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Nov 28, 2009, at 10:36 PM
  • OK, here's my take. johnthepoormenlost is probably old and grumpy. SOME older folks like to complain. It's their right, some would say. I can relate, worked with elderly for many years. Can't make 'em happy. Sound familiar?? ☻

Hey! You trying to start a revolution or somethin?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 28, 2009, at 11:28 PM
  • Just wanted to give my two cents worth & get the 'ol juices flowin'. Guess it worked. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Sat, Nov 28, 2009, at 11:34 PM
  • If you are going to serve the needy, or take care of the elderly - do it right. If you're worried how they got there, or suspicious of their motives, wear your opinions out on some other subject - there for the grace of God...

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Sun, Nov 29, 2009, at 6:55 AM
  • Blogbudsman, *If you are going to serve the needy, or take care of the elderly - do it right.* I agree.

i'm guessing johnthepoormenlost may have looked forward to his thanksgiving meal for weeks. (surely you can relate, doesn't your mouth water thinking about the thanksgiving feast.) too bad he was so disappointed.

johnthepoormenlost took a cyber beating on the salvation army piece. his meals were delivered, he may be a shut-in. posters begrudged that he may have internet, that he needed to get a job and stop mooching.

good-grief people! take a moment from your judging, witching and moaning and try to imagine yourself in someone else's shoes for once. you may be one car accident or illness away from johnthepoormenlost's situation.

-- Posted by coke zero on Sun, Nov 29, 2009, at 8:17 AM
  • Defy: The 2nd sentence of my reply to MeLange should have been "And if the phrase has that meaning to you, it is not political from your perspective."

Thanks for binging that to my attention in so many words more than less.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Nov 29, 2009, at 9:18 AM
  • you may be one car accident or illness away from johnthepoormenlost's situation.

-- Posted by Snuggles on Sun, Nov 29, 2009, at 8:17 AM

Would that not be poor men lost's imagined situation, as I don't believe any of us know his/her situation. Could be he/she drives an Escalade just as easily... right?

Whatever the situation, Don't Bite the Hand that Feeds Your Mouth!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Nov 29, 2009, at 9:43 AM
  • When growing up on the farm, I was always told a job worth doing is worth doing well.

-- Posted by D'oh on Sun, Nov 29, 2009, at 9:51 AM
  • D'oh,

Me too. And another thing I was told... If you do not have time to do it right the first time, when are you ever going to find the time to do it over?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Nov 29, 2009, at 10:22 AM
  • Have_Wheels_Will_Travel,

Yep, my Vo Ag teacher had that on the classroom wall along with several others I have forgotten.

-- Posted by D'oh on Sun, Nov 29, 2009, at 10:39 AM

Turnip, Turnip ... You worked with the elderly in the wrong place, obviously! Like ... a nursing home, where there is generally little or nothing for the elderly to look forward to except perhaps the next bland meal, or a short, often obligatory, visit from a relative? That in itself would surely make anyone really, really grumpy and unhappy!

I'm thinking all they really, subconsciously want at that point in time is ... a little of their youth and health back? And there y'all are ... young, healthy, energetic nurses, aides, volunteers ... and you want to try to make them happy?

Go to a senior center for a visit or lunch ... that's where you will find those old folks who are cheerful ... because they still have some amount of freedom, they still have a 'life.'

Actually ... I know you were just ribbing us (or one of us) ... WEREN'T YOU? ~laughing~

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sun, Nov 29, 2009, at 12:43 PM
  • What is really great is for someone other than the relative of a resident to go into a nursing home ... A stranger to all of them ... And stop at each wheelchair; tell the person how nice they look, ask him/her how she is feeling that day, encourage them to talk about 'The Good Old Days.'

Doesn't change their situation a bit, but makes them feel just a little bit more ... um ... human ... that they do have something to offer, that they are indeed important and interesting, even to strangers.

At the end of such a visit, the emotional/psychological benefit to the residents and to the visitor are so great they are undescribable.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 2:39 PM
  • There are jobs out there "If" people are willing to actually do the work. Comapny's like Kelly, Workforce, and Manpower are constantly looking for people for basic labor jobs.

What usually happens is that folks would rather complain about "How things are" then work for one of these company's.

Either sit back and draw your unemployment or get out and beat the pavement and find any job you can, to get by on until things get better.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 3:06 PM
  • "Gee, more of that nonsense crap about "JOBS THAT AMERICANS WON'T DO" and "THERE ARE LOTS OF JOBS OUT THERE" crap."

What a crock of sh*t. Where the hell do dummies like the one above get such nonsense?

-- Posted by Defy Tyranny on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 4:34 PM

Well I just happen to work at one of those "slimy *** companies" I mentioned and yes they do have benfits like 401k, stock ops. and life, medical insurance as well as short term disablity. I know for a fact that there are jobs in this area if people actually want to work. Oh, by the way the starting wage is $8.10 -$9.00. How much do you get when you are not working $0.00.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 6:45 PM
  • I have hired folks from those agencies. Some got experience and moved on to better, a couple stayed and a bunch were a lot easier to send back than fire.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 6:48 PM
  • Old John,

I have no doubt but, sometimes it takes a few before you can find a keeper.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 7:02 PM
  • And now that I'm retired, I am thinking of trying one of those services myself. One of my pet peeves is being witness to people on the job that are not working for the boss or the company. So many times I see cashiers too busy on the phone to even make contact with a customer, or grocery clerks that think I am delighted to hear conversations of one employee to another while I wait. I'm from the old school that taught your employer's success is paramont to your own.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 7:21 PM
  • You would not be the first retired person to use these services and not the last. In fact I have a man at my plant whose wife told him to get out of the house. I guess retirement did not agree with him.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 7:25 PM
  • Guessing the idea of giving, meaning just that giving, is an out dated concept?

Meaning are you the type that returns the neighbor's trash cans and then complains to the other neighbors that you never got a thank you? Or are you the type that you do it and never bring it up? Do you help a friend by paying a utility bill or drop an envelope in their mail box with money and then ask them if they got it? Or do you do these things and just nod and say, "Wow, it was nice of someone to do that for you." when your friend asks you if you know anything about it? Do you give only for the tax deduction? Or do you give because you can?

Giving should never be driven by guilt. Be it by the guy ringing the bell outside the store, your employer collecting for United Way, the Minister that preaches about it on Sunday, the Politician who is promoting an idea for his/her self image, or any other reason other then YOUR wanting to give. Keeping in mind that monitary giving is not the only way a person can 'give' to someone else.

Just my take on the subject.

-- Posted by Pups on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 7:37 PM
  • Pups: Your last paragraph nails it!

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 7:47 PM
  • Old John,

Thanks. Guessing I probably should have edited out the first paragraph. It kind of rambled, but it did lead me to my last paragraph.

-- Posted by Pups on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 8:34 PM
  • Old John, Pups,

I'll have to agree also.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Tue, Dec 1, 2009, at 8:51 PM
  • Whether it's selfless or selfish giving, it's still charity and some of the poor will appreciate it and others will come to expect it, the nature of the beast I'm afraid because we are not all the same. It doesn't matter a Tinker's Squint why someone gives, at some point their generocity will be taken advantage of and no one should blame them if they decide to cease.

-- Posted by non-biasedphilosopher on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 1:19 AM
  • A greedy Father has thieves for Children.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 10:15 AM
  • I believe many give out of compassion rather than "guilt". However I tend to agree with non-biased philosopher in that I don't really think it makes any difference what someone's motivation is for giving.

-- Posted by D'oh on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 11:14 AM
  • Only if his intentions were "pure" Rick...

-- Posted by D'oh on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 11:47 AM
  • Melange,

Guilt may have been the wrong word, but in some cases it is what motivates.

I have been known to give and it was not out of guilt, but a desire to help. Not saying that there have not been times guilt played a role, but my stubborness will win out in most cases when someone tries to guilt me into giving. If asked I am one of the first to step up if I can. But if you tell me to do it cause others have and I should because it appears I can afford to. Well, I most likely won't. I guess in this case it could be guilt or shame being used, but I see it more as guilting me into giving.

I think that made sense.

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 1:21 PM
  • Mr Wiffle,

I don't demand anything. :)

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 3:16 PM
  • Thanks, Rick. I wasn't stressed enough. ☻

-- Posted by Turnip on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 3:28 PM
  • I know Pups. You are one of the good liberals. I almost hate to take your money. :)

-- Posted by Mr. Wiffle on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 4:04 PM

Second that ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Dec 2, 2009, at 5:28 PM

Respond to this thread