Speak Out: Race Gap

Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Wed, Jan 8, 2014, at 8:49 PM:

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/obama-blacks-poverty-education/2014/01/08/id/54...

Blacks fall further behind educationally and economically under obama presidency. Never-the-less, obama still enjoys 85% approval rating among blacks compared to 39% overall. Why?

Replies (41)

• blah.blah.blah

-- Posted by survivalist on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 5:41 AM
  • Can you imagine blaming the president for your lot in life? Bizarre. -- Posted by Spaniard on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 7:38 AM

Thank you. Now go explain that to your liberal democrat friends that accuse people of being racist for simply disagreeing with him.

========================

What has Obama done to destroy "black wealth"? -- Posted by miccheck on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 8:01 AM

Set up barriers to economic growth for people who hire. There is ample evidence that his stimulus was a waste of money that didn't create near the jobs promised. And of course Obamacare which has companies refusing to hire, cutting hours from full-time to part-time and laying off to avoid the massive expenses they are going to face. Black unemployment was at near record lows when he took office. The only record Obama has set is in the area of welfare - free phones (doubled), SNAP, etc.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 8:25 AM
  • So, what economic policies have set up barriers? -- Posted by miccheck on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 8:32 AM

I don't know who said anything about "economic policies" - not me. I believe I just addressed one major drag on the economy - Obamacare. I don't believe that is an economic policy. If it is, it was an economic failure.

Your link shows very meager growth at best and is usually attributed to seasonal growth only - holiday hiring. And it comes from NPR which is a very biased source. Listen to their "news" as we get closer to the election. Very biased. And this in the face of another push by Obama to extend unemployment? Doesn't sound good to me.

And these growth rates are not near as good as Bush's after he inherited the Clinton "tech bubble" burst his first years in office.

And let's not forget that $17 TRILLION debt that Obama has nearly doubled (and is projected to by 2016). As I said the other day - if Obama doubled the debt to $34 TRILLION (from today) and unemployment was 2% liberals would be screaming "He's my hero!". Wait, they're already saying that with these meager numbers.

Obama's plan works. It keeps his voter base on the "poor farm". Dependency - it's the best campaign tool he has.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 8:49 AM
  • According to our Centers for Disease Control, the 2008-2010 black per-capita homicide rate, for males 10-24, was 21 times the rate for whites.

According to the 2010 U.S. Census, 73% of black births are illegitimate.

From the Pew Research group in July of this year: "Democrats are about twice as likely as Republicans to have received food stamps at some point in their lives--a participation gap that echoes the deep partisan divide in the U.S. Blacks are about twice as likely as whites to have used food stamps during their lives (31% vs. 15%). About four-in-ten black women (39%) have gotten help compared with 21% of black men."

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 9:05 AM
  • I think the biggest divide is the growth of welfare in this country. Here are some more stats from the US Department of Commerce:

Total amount of money you can make monthly and still receive Welfare -- $1000

Total Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than an $8 per hour job -- 39

Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than a $12 per hour job -- 6

Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than the average salary of a U.S. Teacher -- 8

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 9:22 AM
  • "Can you imagine blaming the president for your lot in life? Bizarre."

What really would have been "bizarre" is the reaction of the SO conservatives, had President Obama actually tried to take actions that specifically could have been of benefit solely to black Americans.

Most, if not all, would be totally apoplectic were the President to do things that overtly favored blacks. Without that being the case, some still seem strangely "upset" and say things like... "It keeps his voter base on the "poor farm". Dependency - it's the best campaign tool he has."

This concept of dependency is a conservative fable that has no basis in fact, but if the President were to do anything to lift people out of the "poor farm," the current breeze of outrage over his supposed neglect of blacks would immediately swell to a "super typhoon" of anger, fury and indignation over how the President was illegally advancing and promoting the welfare of only "his people."

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 9:40 AM
  • had President Obama actually tried to take actions that specifically could have been of benefit solely to black Americans.-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 9:40 AM

That would be outrageous and pandering to a single race. As the saying goes "A rising tide lifts all boats". If he would quit his economy killing agenda their lot in life would improve.

==============

"swell to a "super typhoon" of anger, fury and indignation"

Only in your mind. I don't recall a super typhoon of anger, fury and indignation when African American unemployment was 1/2 under Bush than what it is under Obama.

==============

"This concept of dependency is a conservative fable "

Again - only in your mind. African American unemployment is more than double white unemployment and very high right now. And as FFF posted to start the thread this presidents undying popularity among the very people he has led to economic disparity is curious isn't it? It's dependency. Free phones (doubled under Obama), food stamps, housing assistance. Obama holds two huge records - the largest run up of debt in history and the biggest welfare state in the history of the world.

Can't help you with that. I know, it's tough.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 9:55 AM
  • For example, the amount someone can make and still get "welfare" is going to vary depending on state, program, and family size. The maximum a single man can make and still get TANF is very different from the amount a single mother of 5 can make and qualify for Medicaid.

Finally, if, as you said earlier, employers are not hiring or only hiring part-time employees, has welfare prevented people on welfare from getting jobs? -- Posted by miccheck on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 9:42 AM

===================

That's why the site uses averages to compare statewide numbers.

I didn't say that employers are not hiring. I didn't say only hiring part-time.

Employers are hiring and the stats show that - albeit low numbers but when the bar is low it looks good.

Companies - many - are cutting hours to part-time and refusing to hire when they normally would because of the uncertainty and economic crush of Obamacare. There is ample evidence of that. The dismal numbers would be even better and we would be in a better economy had the president focused on that and not on a massive federal program - with 22 new taxes and huge costs for businesses and individuals. Some people are having to pay $4,000 and more for their new insurance policy thanks to Obamacare. Imagine if those people could spend it on something else that would improve hiring.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 10:00 AM
  • Who said cutting welfare would change that? Not me.

I'm saying cut the economy killing agenda and the need for welfare will go down.

But that would risk votes for the democrat party and that's not good for them. Hence you see the stonewalling by democrats on any reform or investigation into fraud/abuse. Including right here in the state of Missouri.

Nixon wants to expand medicaid as if it's free to the state and it's taxpayers. Republicans say they will consider that after measures are taken to prevent fraud abuse. Nixon cries "foul!" - he says do it now without looking into fraud/abuse first.

Curious that.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 10:18 AM
  • What has Obama done to destroy "black wealth"?

Mr. Obama has supported the minimum wage increase, and voted for it as a Senator. The minimum wage increase has been shown to increase employment among young, unskilled workers, many of whom are black. That is not say the policy targets blacks, it is simply an unintended consequence of the government's meddling in economic matters.

http://mercatus.org/publication/unintended-consequences-raising-minimum-wage

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 10:23 AM
  • -- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 12:14 PM
  • What some people need to do is learn to be responsible and stop depending on the government to take care of them we have tried that for fifty years and spent trillions of dollars and the safety net just keeps on increasing, we have to face the fact we are an entitlement nation and many people have adapted to that. gimegimegime you owe me now gime.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 12:35 PM
  • Today Medicaid costs nearly $500 billion annually, funded by taxpayer dollars at the state and federal levels. -- Posted by ~Rick on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 12:24 PM

Rick, Rick, Rick. You're not listening. Don't you know that medicaid is "free" health insurance? It doesn't cost anyone a dime.

:-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 3:17 PM
  • Rubio is nothing but a snot nosed punk seeking attention. He will never be POTUS.

-- Posted by left turn on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 5:11 PM
  • Rubio is nothing but a snot nosed punk seeking attention. He will never be POTUS.

-- Posted by left turn on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 5:11 PM

Lefty,

When you have nothing to say, it would be better if you left it unsaid. But whatever.... let your dim continue to shine.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 5:19 PM
  • Rubio is nothing but a snot nosed punk seeking attention. He will never be POTUS. -- Posted by left turn on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 5:11 PM

Says the guy who voted twice for an inexperienced Acorn attorney for president. Yep - we would believe what you say. You have already shown us your terrible judgement of character. Twice.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 6:27 PM
  • "Rubio is nothing but a snot nosed punk seeking attention."

So much hatred from the "tolerant" left.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 7:10 PM
  • Rubio is nothing but a snot nosed punk seeking attention and will never be POTUS. Or, you may asked the question: who is the snot nosed punk seeking attention? The answer: Marco Rubio, an anchor baby.

-- Posted by left turn on Thu, Jan 9, 2014, at 7:58 PM
  • -- Posted by miccheck on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 4:31 AM

Expressing an observation on statistical data does not make on a racist. The fact is, blacks have the same access to schools as any other race, but they do exhibit a lack of willingness to take full advantage of those opportunities. If lack of access is not the problem, then there must be another reason for it. All the FFF has done is expressed an opinion that mirrors one expressed by many others, including noted black politicians, entertainers, and other successful persons.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 6:39 AM
  • "...blacks have the same access to schools as any other race..."

They do not have the same access to the same schools. Unfortunately, the "don't act white" classroom culture overwhelms many black youths. The willingness to learn is often there initially, but the lack of parental support, peer pressure, and a negatively flavored environment (which in many cases includes inexperienced teachers) all combine to wear down the motivation of many students. There are also many that succeed in spite of the odds, but blaming failures on a "cultural attitude" is simplistic and flawed.

How would you characterize "...an observation on statistical data..." that concludes it is the fault of the racial "culture" of the group, and seemingly absolves the environmental situation?

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 7:33 AM
  • From Merriam-Webster:

"5

a : the integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon the capacity for learning and transmitting knowledge to succeeding generations

b : the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group; also : the characteristic features of everyday existence (as diversions or a way of life} shared by people in a place or time

c : the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organization

d : the set of values, conventions, or social practices associated with a particular field, activity, or societal characteristic"

Judging by those definitions, I would say that a statistic that is characteristic of a large swath of any given group is "cultural".

The problem with the charge or "racism" is that it attempts to stifle debate on the part of a large segment of society regarding an issue that very clearly needs to be addressed.

Yes, there is a movement that exists throughout the races that disdains education (re: Pink Floyd's "We Don't Need No Education"), and evidenced by the poster "Some Random Guy" (whose race I do not know nor care about). But, the statistics show that this movement seems to have taken its largest hold in the black community, due to whatever factors. If Freedom Fading Fast is wrong in his view, he should at least be free to express that view without being shouted out as "racist".

"And, in our country, blacks are more likely to live in impoverished areas."

Really? As far as I've noted, they seem to be widespread throughout the spectra of American society. But, even if that is true, there is no doubt that most of our social programmes have been geared towards "impoverished areas" and their improvement. If, fifty years after the inception of the "Great Society" that is still the case, then it is clear that our government programmes have failed and it is time to try a different approach.

We've tried forced busing, integration of the schools, Head Start, School nutrition programmes, Parental involvement programmes, Fatherhood intiatives, etc., primarily geared towards these impoverished areas. Obviously, there remains some underlying cause for the inequity amongst the races.

Your attempt to stifle debate with the shout of "racism" merely means to limit the discussion to only those views you favour.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 8:13 AM
  • " that concludes it is the fault of the racial "culture" of the group, and seemingly absolves the environmental situation?"

I would say the environmental situation is, to some degree, shaped by the culture of the group. The high degree of single-parent households, for example, does not appear to be influenced by anything other than an acceptance of single-parenthood as a cultural norm. This high number of single-parent households lends itself, in my humble opinion, to the lack of parental involvement.

"However, access to an education is still stifled by money."

Not entirely true. We spend more per capita providing "free" education to our citizens than most nations, and yet this problem persists.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 8:18 AM
  • They do not have the same access to the same schools. -- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 7:33 AM

You make an untrue statement, and then in your posting not at thing you said prevents them from attending school.

Parenting, or lack thereof, is the problem. It is cultural. As I posted this statistic the other day from the 2010 government data - 73% of black children were born to a single mother.

They are given the same access - it's law you must attend school in most states. They are given the same brain and potential by their God. Unfortunately many black children - not all - are raised in a culture of poverty, crime and a lack of family environment. When the same environment exists for white or latino children you see the same result.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 8:48 AM
  • Bill Cosby (an entertainer as Shapley presented):

"The reason why I'm giving you this information is because I was living in the projects. I was not taking care of myself in terms of managing my education, and once the door opened and I saw quote, unquote, the light, I started to become very successful."

or

"Cosby made public remarks critical of African Americans who put higher priorities on sports, fashion, and "acting hard" than on education, self-respect, and self-improvement, pleading for African-American families to educate their children on the many different aspects of American culture."

or

"Cornel West defended Cosby and his remarks, saying, "he's speaking out of great compassion and trying to get folk to get on the right track, 'cause we've got some brothers and sisters who are not doing the right things, just like in times in our own lives, we don't do the right thing... He is trying to speak honestly and freely and lovingly, and I think that's a very positive thing."

or

"Cosby stood his ground against criticism and affirmed that African-American parents were continuing to fail to inculcate proper standards of moral behavior."

Is it racist for a black man to make these statements? Is is racist for a white person to cut and paste these statements?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 9:06 AM
  • More Cosby referring to "negroes" (his word in the discussion):

"The people who are not holding up their end is quite obvious to me: And that happens to be those people, to me, who don't have a clue of education-- learning standard English, math, and graduating from school-- what that has for them in terms of empowerment."

and

"You young men and old men, you've got to stop beating up your women because you can't find a job, because you didn't want to get an education."

and

"It is almost analgesic to talk about what the white man is doing against us. And it keeps a person frozen in their seat."

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 9:39 AM
  • "...73% of black children were born to a single mother."

Maybe we should find her and stop her.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 11:33 AM
  • Maybe we should find her and stop her. -- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 11:33 AM

Is it racist to make fun of the number of black babies born into single parent families?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 11:59 AM
  • csm, Good One !!!

-- Posted by left turn on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 1:02 PM
  • Two racist democrats! Wow.

Playing the race card is fun and easy. Just lay it down! Conservatives should try it more often.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 1:07 PM
  • Lefty, likes playing the part of cheerleader for the posts of other Leftists. Rarely has a thought of his own.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 1:19 PM
  • HWWT, I have plenty of thoughts or opinions of you but, they wouldn't last long on here. Yes, being a cheerleader energizes people. I'm honored to do it.

-- Posted by left turn on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 1:57 PM
  • WWT, I have plenty of thoughts or opinions of you but, they wouldn't last long on here. Yes, being a cheerleader energizes people. I'm honored to do it.

-- Posted by left turn on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 1:57 PM

Aw go ahead Lefty, let it all hang out. Don't hold back. Repressed emotions can cause physical trauma.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 2:42 PM
  • Right, but as I've pointed out, the money is spent in areas where there is more money already, creating unequal footing for people who live in impoverished areas.

-- Posted by miccheck on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 8:22 AM

A higher percentage of whites than blacks graduate from the cape gir public school system. Does the cape gir school system spend the same amount of money per student on blacks as they do whites? If so (and I believe they do) then knock off with the "it's the lack of money causing low black graduation rates."

P.S. miccheck, due to the fact that I neither know you nor care about you, your opinion of me as a racist is of no consequence to me. Just as it is of no consequense to you that my opinion of you is that you are an egotistical a*****e.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Jan 10, 2014, at 9:31 PM
  • I hope all our complicated defense software works better than Obama Care's.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jan 11, 2014, at 12:34 PM
  • Fact Check on CGI and Michelle Obama.

Fact Check finds no proof that Michelle Obama and Toni Townes-Whitley being classmates and friends continuing to today had anything to do with CGI getting what some say was a No Bid Contract.

Probably all just a Coinkydink I would think.

http://www.factcheck.org/2013/12/michelle-obama-and-cgi-federal/

Are we due a refund for non performance from CGI?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jan 11, 2014, at 12:38 PM
  • -- Posted by ~Rick on Sat, Jan 11, 2014, at 12:46 PM

On no Rick, that has never happened before.... especially in government.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jan 11, 2014, at 12:49 PM
  • No bid contracts: HALLIBURTON ANYONE?

-- Posted by left turn on Sat, Jan 11, 2014, at 1:02 PM
  • Oooops!

Lefty just had a flashback.... or a retrip!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jan 11, 2014, at 1:10 PM
  • lefty you better look at your fearless leader if you are going to get in to the no bid contract discussion because that bunch knows all about no bid contracts from wind mills to solar panels to health care web sites. Obama no bid contracts anyone?

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Mon, Jan 13, 2014, at 4:13 PM
  • swamp, I've seen the no bids from my fearless leader and Bush / Cheney and can say I don't like any of them. My point is don't start complaining about Obama unless you want to include you know who.

-- Posted by left turn on Mon, Jan 13, 2014, at 4:50 PM
  • -- Posted by left turn on Mon, Jan 13, 2014, at 4:50 PM

Lefty,

Are you not smart enough to realize Bush is no longer President.... Obama is.

It no longer matters what Bush did, it is over with, if he did wrong he should have been dealt with for the offense while in office.

We are in the here and now and it does not make one bit of difference what anyone did going back to George Washington.... if it was wrong then, it does not make it right for Obama to do it now.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jan 13, 2014, at 6:00 PM

Respond to this thread