Speak Out: What is your favorite area restaurant?

Posted by riregrist on Sun, Jan 24, 2010, at 9:43 AM:

Just an informal poll. I'm getting tried of eating at the same places over and over. So, I'd like opinions of your favorite area restaurants. Also, if you have knowledge of places to avoid, that would be helpful.

Replies (22)

• For the money and consistancy, Ponderosa works for me, but I would not say I have a favorite. I am pretty partial to Old John's kitchen. And I like to cook. One of the best around is the Cotton Patch in Kennett next to Walmart. Very reasonable price and a county menu plus a little chinese. All you can eat too. They even have fried green tomatoes and Blue Bunnie ice cream.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 24, 2010, at 9:57 AM
  • Schlindler's

-- Posted by Lumpy on Sun, Jan 24, 2010, at 11:08 AM
  • One mom and pop I remember fondly was the Chase House. Vince served a pretty good steak.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 24, 2010, at 11:21 AM
  • Chan's

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Sun, Jan 24, 2010, at 11:32 AM
  • Gordonville Grill for steak, pork steak and catfish.

Fried Chicken on Sunday at Port of Cape or Cape Airport.

Mexican at Muy Bueno near Grecian Steak House.

Cup & Cork for good salad or sandwich.

My Daddy's Cheesecake has great breakfast and sandwiches.

Best Ribs in town, take out only at Hamburger Express (coupon in SEM).

Bob Evans has great breakfast and is smoke free.

Best Hamburger at the Pilot House, take out might be best, it is always smokey, good catfish and kabobs also.

Tractors and Stooges offer different scale of good food. Peking (China John's) in Jackson for Chinese.

For something different try the lunches at the Eagles club in Cape.

Ray's of Kelso for something special.

As you can see most are locally owned but good food is good food so I did include at least one chain restaurant. That should keep you busy.

-- Posted by IonU on Sun, Jan 24, 2010, at 11:35 AM
  • If I go out to eat, it's pretty rare when I DON'T end up at Show-Me's. Good food & good people. What more do you need?

-- Posted by dixietrucker on Sun, Jan 24, 2010, at 11:58 AM
  • BG's

Paglia's

-- Posted by Turnip on Sun, Jan 24, 2010, at 12:06 PM
  • The Mexican restaruant in Scott City, just down from Burger King. If it's pasta day, I like Fazoli's.

-- Posted by arrestthem on Sun, Jan 24, 2010, at 12:09 PM
  • Thanks for the info. I personally try to stay away from chain restaurants. For pasta, I enjoy Bella Italia. Pizza must be from Pagliai's. Shogun's is a good place for asian food. Tractor's is decent.

-- Posted by riregrist on Sun, Jan 24, 2010, at 1:20 PM
  • Theorist, how about those onion petals with that yummy spicy dipping sauce? Ummmm-good!

-- Posted by Turnip on Sun, Jan 24, 2010, at 7:10 PM
  • Domino's new pizza is better, but not by much. They just took their old pizza and drowned the crust in garlic butter. At least it has a flavor now, which I guess has to be an improvement.

Pagliai's or nothing.

-- Posted by FSM06 on Sun, Jan 24, 2010, at 8:09 PM
  • Riregrist, Good reading here. I guess some opinions depend on the question of just good eats or a good place to go to eat. The electric co-ops in the area do a regional survey in their paper "Rural Missouri. They ask readers for best bbq, fish, etc. in the area and places worth the drive. Lambert's, and many well know places come up. A few years back they spotlighted a place called Bailey Joes in Ironton. We went and it was worth the drive. A displaced commercial pilot with ties to St. Louis and New Orleans serves great seafood and barbeque in a drive in restaurant transformed and named for his six year old daugher who sometimes sings and entertains. Add the civil war museum and the elephant rocks and you got a great one day trip.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 24, 2010, at 8:47 PM
  • Gordonville Grill is our favorite. Not only do they have great food, but it has great atmosphere (no t.v.'s.)

-- Posted by redpen on Tue, Jan 26, 2010, at 10:04 AM
  • I guess I'm on the wrong blog, I thought all you guys and gals are too bad off because of Obama to have money to eat out...

-- Posted by Hugh M Bean on Tue, Jan 26, 2010, at 11:52 AM
  • Fast Food:

Chick Fil A

Can't stand crap on the wall chain places. However, I do like outback for prime rib and steaks

Special occasion, I prefer celebrations. Rays is overpriced.

BBQ: Pilot House

Italian: Bella

Bar Food: BGs

Most underated/underappreciated dish in town:

BG's Ole' Miss Nachos

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Tue, Jan 26, 2010, at 12:26 PM
  • The Bayou in Pocahontas is a good place to go if you want a change.

-- Posted by all_i_hear_is_blah_blah on Tue, Jan 26, 2010, at 12:33 PM
  • So far it looks like Gordenville Grille, Paglia's, Bella Italian, Schindler's, and Tractor's most mentioned.

Where's the best fish?

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jan 26, 2010, at 11:48 PM
  • H&D, I was reared to eat what we had, but I can easily be tempted when it comes to good fish, fried shrimp, or a just right beef steak. I think it could be habit forming!

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 12:23 AM
  • I stole this, and localized the restaurant name...

A group of 40 year old buddies discuss where they should meet for dinner. Finally it is agreed that they should meet at Broussard's because the waitress's there have low cut blouses and nice breasts.

10 years later, at 50 years of age, the group discusses once again where they should meet. Finally it is agreed that they should meet at Broussard's because the food there is very good and the wine selection is good also.

10 years later, at 60 years of age, the group discusses once again where they should meet. Finally it is agreed that they should meet at Broussard's because they can eat there in peace and quiet and the restaurant is smoke free.

10 years later, at 70 years of age, the group discusses once again where they should meet. Finally it is agreed that they should meet at Broussard's because the restaurant is wheel chair accessible and they even have an elevator.

10 years later, at 80 years of age, the group discusses where they should meet. Finally it is agreed that it would be a great idea that they meet at Broussard's because they have never eaten there before.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 6:28 AM
  • Blog,

You're going to get old also.... if you're lucky.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 9:00 AM
  • I'm already suffering the affects of Anheuser's Disease?

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 9:58 AM
  • hamburger express is the ****, and so is imos fa sho

-- Posted by therbst on Wed, Jan 27, 2010, at 10:40 AM

Respond to this thread