Speak Out: Just curious

Posted by motrans on Mon, Sep 21, 2015, at 2:45 PM:

Has an op-ed article you have read ever changed your opinion on an issue?

Replies (6)

• I honestly cannot recall ever having read another person's opinion in an article and changing my opinion.

-- Posted by motrans on Mon, Sep 21, 2015, at 2:47 PM
  • Do you mean by professional writers or just anyone writing an opinion or a letter to the editor?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Mon, Sep 21, 2015, at 2:49 PM
  • Yes. I have read a few opinions/editorials that shed insight on issues from a viewpoint of which I had not considered, which led me to change my opinion.

That occurred more often when I was younger, and thought of many governmental actions "that doesn't affect me" or "that seems harmless enough", until I read someone's explanation of how it does affect me or of how a seemingly harmless concept was actually quite harmful.

Nowadays, I generally wait to formulate an opinion on most subjects until I have considered them more fully, so it happens less often. Rarely do I consider that any government action does not affect me, nor that they are harmless.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Sep 21, 2015, at 3:19 PM
  • Don't really see the point in reading some self-professed "expert" editorialist's opinion. Editorial writers have a biased agenda to push. I'm not interested.

If I want true expert opinion, I'll get it from theorist and common on my favorite entertainment forum, Speak Out. The only two I know of that are always right and have the only opinions that count. God Bless them!!

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Mon, Sep 21, 2015, at 8:31 PM
  • To answer the question yes or no, it would be Yes.

I have learned to respect the power of the headline.

It is easy to skim the headlines and assume what it's about. Sometimes even a liberal view changes my opinion.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Sep 21, 2015, at 8:49 PM
  • "Has an op-ed article you have read ever changed your opinion on an issue?" If it was made by our current Administration, never. If it was made by an non-political person, sometimes.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Mon, Sep 21, 2015, at 9:01 PM

Respond to this thread