Speak Out: GM Workers to Receive an $11,000 Bonus - When do the Taxpayers and the Secured Creditors Receive Their Bonuses

Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 4, 2016, at 12:20 PM:

Replies (37)

• I think I will throw up!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Feb 4, 2016, at 12:21 PM
  • That's the kind of stuff that makes other brands more appealing.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 4, 2016, at 1:30 PM
  • -- Posted by G. H. on Thu, Feb 4, 2016, at 4:16 PM

G.H: He wants to be the President of the U.N.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Thu, Feb 4, 2016, at 7:59 PM
  • semo, That was said about Clinton. Reckon they wouldn't have him since he was broke when he left the WH with a $7m book deal and a mansion paid for by Secret Service renting the gate house. :)

Obama might be interviewing for an Iranian spokesperson position.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 4, 2016, at 9:50 PM
  • I hear Ford workers get the same.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Feb 4, 2016, at 11:55 PM
  • Old John

Could be that Ford gets it also.... but at least we have not paid for their foolishness to this point unless we buy one of their vehicles.

I will never buy a GM car again, ever.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 8:51 AM
  • I have a Nissan which is made in Jackson, MS while most of the Fords and GMs are made in Mexico or Canada.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 9:34 AM
  • Must be nice!(total sarcasm intended)

Why not take the money and give it back for all the money given to save their a$$? Of course that wouldn't enter anyone's mind.

I'm with wheels, makes you want to gag.

-- Posted by Iamhere on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 10:36 AM
  • Semo471

When I buy a car any more, I look upon it as buying miles of transportation. My driver is a quality car purchased as a Program Car from a leading Manufacturer's Sale of these cars. It was a little over one year old, under warranty and still drives and rides like new. It is now 12 years old and I am not nearly through with it. My cost per mile of operation will beat a full sized Ford or Chevrolet purchased new and traded regularly because the owner has to have the latest or it is falling apart around their ears. I paid only slightly more used than they paid new.

In my lifetime I have purchased very few new cars, preferring to buy a quality used car over a shiny new pile of tin.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 10:40 AM
  • Rick,

From my days back on the farm and dealing with mules.... I am not much on four legged critters for transportation.

Few years ago we were in Jordan and took a side trip to some ancient village carved into the face of cliffs, who's name escapes me at the moment. We rode horses down the steepest trail I think I have ever been on. I thought I was going to have to wrap my legs around that beasts necks and hold on to his ears lest he be stepping on me before we got to the bottom. Going back up wasn't much better.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 11:38 AM
  • -- Posted by 'Rick on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 10:52 AM

Rick: I once saw a report that said per ratio more people were killed riding horseback and carriages back in the ole days than in car accidents of today.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 11:52 AM
  • Rick: I was only referring to the amount of accidents.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 11:59 AM
  • "it's almost impossible to get a mule to run by itself."

To a point, it depends on who is on their back.

With me the gray mule we had would run stiff legged and jar your teeth out of your head.

But with my Dad, it was different. It was a ritual every time he decided to throw a saddle on that mule. The saddle went on. He grabbed the girth I believe they call it. The mule would puff up like a poisoned toad. He would stand on one leg and kick her in the ribs, she would exhale and he would pull hard on the girth. Now that the saddle was firmly affixed he would swing aboard. When he took off at a gallop, all was missing was Hi Ho Silver! That mule could gallop like a race horse.

We never owned any horses. Mules were the tractor of that day. You could not overwork a mule, they knew their limit and they would stop. A horse would not stop until they dropped if you would let them. And a mule was more durable, they could take the heat better.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 12:07 PM
  • "The taxpayers" sold their stake in GM, so why would they be owed anything?

I feel bad for those who didn't get the debt they were owed when GM filed for bankruptcy. However, that's the risk one takes when one invests...that's why investors get interest.

If anything, this is evidence of how well the GM bailout worked. It's been less than 8 years and this is how far GM has come? That's really amazing. Since the bankruptcy filing, GM has more than doubled its assets and lowered its liabilities. Amazing!

-- Posted by MicCheck2 on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 5:43 PM
  • All the suppliers that lost out were not investors. The unions that ran up the cost of labor and union pensions came first behind the lawyers. The New GM also got to walk away of any liability and warranties of the old GM.

Now the cycle begins anew. When labor cost run them back into the red again it will be liberals screaming about some sort of deregulation as the cause.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 6:17 PM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 6:17 PM

Old John,

Secured Creditors are supposed to be first in line to be paid when the assets of a bankrupt company are sold off. That did not take place in this failure. It was another one of those too big to fail situations. The taxpayer gets to pay for the folly and mismanagement of a private enterprise. It is wrong and only if you do not share in the expense (not a taxpayer) do you find this a success story. "Amazing"

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 6:50 PM
  • If I understand correctly, one only had to be on the payroll for 9 months to get the windfall bonus. How many will get the bonus and get paid maternity leave at the same time? I mean someone has to be pregnant from negotiating that deal. :) :)

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 7:20 PM
  • I mean someone has to be pregnant from negotiating that deal. :) :)

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 7:20 PM

The taxpayers and the secured creditors were the ones who should have become pregnant, because........

And I will leave that there.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 7:35 PM
  • So to hell with 'Global Warming' , it's the bailed out auto industry employee's bonus program that matter's most . -- Posted by 'Rick on Sat, Feb 6, 2016, at 2:46 AM

You're the only one who says that.

So , who got the billion$ ? Nice legally ill-legal Ponzi scheme right there all started by "I saved the auto industry."

-- Posted by 'Rick on Sat, Feb 6, 2016, at 2:46 AM

Who got the billions? GM did. It used them like any other company would: buy raw materials and supplies, pay employees and utility bills, etc.

-- Posted by MicCheck2 on Sat, Feb 6, 2016, at 8:15 AM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 7:20 PM

OJ: GM supposedly paid off their loan from the government but each of us taxpayers should have gotten $11,000 for saving their "assets".

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sat, Feb 6, 2016, at 10:09 AM
  • FDR called in all the gold and then revalued it at a higher price. Obama and people did the GM loans same but in reverse. Follow the money if you can.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Feb 6, 2016, at 10:44 AM
  • "You're the only one who says that."

No he is not!!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Feb 6, 2016, at 12:50 PM
  • "You're the only one who says that."

No he is not!!

No they aren't! You screwed up with that little statement Miccheck.

-- Posted by Iamhere on Sat, Feb 6, 2016, at 3:15 PM

"You're the only one who says that."

No he is not!!

yeah, he pretty much is. Who else is trying to say someone either has to accept global warming or accept the GM bailout was a good idea?

-- Posted by MicCheck2 on Sat, Feb 6, 2016, at 7:55 PM
  • -- Posted by MicCheck2 on Sat, Feb 6, 2016, at 7:55 PM

Rick makes sense. Your post doesn't.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Feb 6, 2016, at 8:15 PM
  • -- Posted by MicCheck2 on Sat, Feb 6, 2016, at 7:55 PM

Mic2: There is no Global Warming/Climate Change or any other made up catch phrases in explaining Mother Nature's constant weather pattern changes that have been going on every since the Creation. Weather pattern changes are caused by a number of non-human happenings such as volcanoes on land and under the sea, solar storms or lack of solar storms, the inner molten core of the earth which can cause the changing of the magnetic North, meteor crashes of the earth, and other various items that mankind has no power over.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Feb 7, 2016, at 9:27 AM
  • I might be the only one who says that but it is Freedom of Speech . Go jump in a lake if you don't like it . -- Posted by 'Rick on Sun, Feb 7, 2016, at 9:59 AM

What are you talking about?

You can say whatever you want.

And I have the "freedom of speech" to point out that your statement is ridiculous and creating a strawman.

-- Posted by MicCheck2 on Sun, Feb 7, 2016, at 10:22 AM
  • Rick makes sense. Your post doesn't.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Feb 6, 2016, at 8:15 PM

The statement you quoted was Rick's position. If you thought it didn't make sense, then it is Rick's opinion you think doesn't make sense.

-- Posted by MicCheck2 on Sun, Feb 7, 2016, at 10:23 AM
  • Mickeck, there you go again twisting. What statement made by Rick did I quote?

More of your babble that makes no sense.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 7, 2016, at 11:41 AM
  • Gee Rick, you suggest she take the Polar Plunge and turn her into a scarecrow. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 7, 2016, at 11:43 AM
  • Mickeck, there you go again twisting. What statement made by Rick did I quote?

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 7, 2016, at 11:41 AM

I never said you quoted Rick.

You quoted (actually referenced, but that's a nitpicky distinction that's not important) my post. My post was stating Rick's position.

Therefore, if you thought my post didn't make sense, it's Rick's opinion that you do not think makes sense.

-- Posted by MicCheck2 on Sun, Feb 7, 2016, at 1:07 PM
  • I don't need a lecture every time I post .

-- Posted by 'Rick on Sun, Feb 7, 2016, at 12:54 PM

Answering your question is a lecture?

I will respond on the forums however I like. If you don't want to talk to me, I don't give a tiny rat's you know what.

But you aren't the boss around here; your opinion of when I should and shouldn't post is meaningless.

-- Posted by MicCheck2 on Sun, Feb 7, 2016, at 1:10 PM
  • Poor ole Mic2, can't talk with anyone. Suggest you talk with Theorist but that would be like talking to yourself wouldn't it.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Sun, Feb 7, 2016, at 3:58 PM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Sun, Feb 7, 2016, at 9:02 PM
  • Ford solved any problems with drinking water in Michigan.

I wonder how many of those GM workers will invest some of their bonus in GM stock.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Feb 8, 2016, at 10:53 AM
  • I wonder how many of those GM workers will invest some of their bonus in GM stock.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Feb 8, 2016, at 10:53 AM

Old John,

No point in looking out towards the future. I think a very good percentage of them will use it to make a down payment on something expensive. Let the good times roll.... the dumb arsed taxpayers will bail them and their once failed company out when they go in the tank again.

You know.... that "Too Big To Fail" mentality.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Feb 8, 2016, at 11:21 AM
  • Wheels, I can see no other outcome for those workers. They are putting themselves out of work.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Feb 8, 2016, at 11:43 AM

Respond to this thread